Healing the gut tribe : September - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 139 Old 09-28-2005, 04:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mat4mel
Hi ladies. I'm new here. I am joining because of my 3 1/2 yr old Zoe. Around the age of 2 she started having diarrhea.. after I put her on a gluten free diet it seemed to help and she was GF for over a year when I did a gluten challenge and she tolerates it fine now. She had yeast problems as a baby and I think it is all related but I cannot find a dr that believes me. Anyway, she is small for her age (and so are my other kids, but she seems the smallest). She is about 26-27 lbs. She has never lost weight but gains slowly. She seems healthy overwise (few colds, never had antibiotics or anything). The funny thing is, she was deficient in Zinc when I took her to the dr... this may be a coincidence, but when I am sure she takes her multivitamin with Zinc or I give her foods with a good amount of Zinc, she has firm poops. I read the book Nourishing Traditions and it mentioned something about how the body needs Zinc for the pancreas to produce enough enzymes. Anybody know anything about this?

She also had a stomach bug about 2 weeks ago, and although she's not pooping as often she is still having loose stools. She has a hard time recovering from GI illnesses like this. Then, yesterday I had to go out of town and she stayed with a friend, who gave her orange juice all day. This really upsets her stomach. Chocolate also seems to aggravate her bowels, and sometimes causes her to become really whiney and irritable.

Anyway, just thought I'd join this thread and see if anybody has clues as to our situation..
Welcome Mel

Yes, zinc is necessary for the gut and is a good supplement for helping to heal it:

http://www.enzymestuff.com/conditionleakygut.htm

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...474&query_hl=4

Sounds like her good bacteria needs boosting, do you give yogurt or probiotics? I would start her on homemade yogurt (stronger than store bought) and see if that helps.
#122 of 139 Old 09-28-2005, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
You read my recent post right?

Autism-Mercury Yahoo group is the best source of info on kids and metal issues:
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group...rcury/messages
Eeek!!! : I missed some! I am so sorry guys!! ...going to my hole to read this better...
#123 of 139 Old 09-28-2005, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Welcome Mel

Yes, zinc is necessary for the gut and is a good supplement for helping to heal it:

http://www.enzymestuff.com/conditionleakygut.htm

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...474&query_hl=4

Sounds like her good bacteria needs boosting, do you give yogurt or probiotics? I would start her on homemade yogurt (stronger than store bought) and see if that helps.
Thanks for those links! Cool, so I am not crazy when I notice zinc helps her.

She HATES yogurt and will not even try it anymore. I do give her a chewable probiotic (something for kids by Natures Way). I used to give her Baby Jarro for the longest time but I have never been very consistent. I am going to try to be very consistent with our new probiotics.
#124 of 139 Old 09-28-2005, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Yes, zinc is necessary for the gut and is a good supplement for helping to heal it
How much zinc should be given ? Are there any brands anyone can recommend that would be good for a 2.5 yr old ?

Thanks !

Linda B

DS1 March 2003DS2 Sept 2005,
and 3 , in our happy secular
#125 of 139 Old 09-28-2005, 10:12 PM

Right now I'm crushing an infisimal amount of Source Naturals Optizinc and mixing in DS's food.

I don't want to increase dosage b/c we are doing a lot at once (want to straighten out enzymes now and I seem to be getting hyperactivity from those, sigh). But you don't need to know that...

I've seen recs for these products but haven't used them:

http://www.brainchildnutritionals.com/Zincx.html both flavored and unflavored are legal according to Pecanbread

http://www.kirkmanlabs.com/products/...ream254_4.html
#126 of 139 Old 09-29-2005, 01:03 AM

I just wanted to post a quick update. We started the SCD on Saturday for myself, my 4 yo ds with ASD and food allergies, and my 2 yo with food allergies. I can't believe how many improvements my 4 yo has shown almost immediately!! He was playing imaginary games that he made up himself (with funny voices and everything) by Monday morning. He has NEVER done that before!! He is also eating so many more foods than he ever has before. This is a kid who ate nothing but toast for 6 months and had to go to speech and occupational therapists to help him stop gagging at new textures. The boys have rarely fought all week (instead of physically pounding on each other like they usually do) and even ds1's therapist commented today how much slower and clearer his speech is. He is also a lot more "present" then usual.

My 2 yo has some eczema on his face, but he is happy and full of *healthy* energy instead of the crazy hyperness he had earlier in the week.

So far so good! I am beyond excited. We aren't doing any suppliments or enzymes, just a veggie version of SCD. We have gone slowly introducing new foods. I am trying to do it in stages like recommended on Pecanbread, but with dairy.

Yay!

Thanks again for all the support and encouragement on this journey

#127 of 139 Old 09-29-2005, 08:36 AM

I have had a hard time finding a chewable Zinc supplement for my dd. The dr had prescribed a liquid suspension but she absolutely hated it. For now, she gets a good bit of zinc in her multivitamin and I try to feed her a lot of foods fortified with Zinc. If someone knows of a good chewable Zinc supplement, please let me know.
#128 of 139 Old 09-29-2005, 11:50 AM

hmmmm, if he can taste the zinc he doesn't necessarily need it. It's one of the minerals that if you are zinc deficient there will be no taste at all. Can you put it in juice or something to mask it? I haven't come across a really good chewable yet.

FreeRangeMama: congratulations! It's amazing what a change you can see with diet! I'm glad you found it.
#129 of 139 Old 09-29-2005, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisabeth
hmmmm, if he can taste the zinc he definitely needs it. It's one of the minerals that if you aren't zinc deficient there will be no taste at all. As I used it the metallic taste went away and when I couldn't taste it anymore it was time to stop.
Really? I had no idea about this!!! I am not taking any now, but in the past I have and could totally taste the zinc big time. Is there any place that I can look this up?
#130 of 139 Old 09-29-2005, 12:23 PM

I just found this though...

Quote:
You can take your zinc supplement in this way. It is also well-suited for anorectics. You should be able to taste the zink after 3 weeks, otherwise you should have your gastric acid concentration examined - it might be too low.
http://www.newmediaexplorer.org/chri...testupdate.htm
#131 of 139 Old 09-29-2005, 12:42 PM

Okay-that was backwards. If you can taste it you don't need it, if you can you have enough...my brain is scrambled :LOL Thanks for checking.
#132 of 139 Old 09-29-2005, 12:59 PM

No problem! When it comes to things like this, we all have so much in our brains, it's bound to get mixed up once in awhile!
#133 of 139 Old 09-29-2005, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Elisabeth - Glad to hear the you found the glitch! Wonderful that she is eating so well.

Jane - The link for neuroscience follows :

http://www.neurorelief.com/index.php

I'd be interested to know Luke's results if you decide to do the urine test. You cannot order the test or products from the company, but your ND can. Just take the info to them if you're interested. The urine test costs $75, but we have gotten two sets free for each of us and product at a discount because our ND wrote in saying that finances were difficult for us at that time. One mama was asking about the neurotransmitters in relation to the diet. The gut is known as the "second brain" and many neurotransmitters esp. serotonin "the feel good neurotransmitter" are made in the gut. If the gut is damaged and malfunctioning production can be impaired.

Pookietooth - The yoghurt shoud be 100-110 during the 24 hour period according to BTVC. Other sources say 110-115, but I would go with Elaine's suggestion if doing the SCD.

Mat4mel - Welcome to the tribe ! In NT Fallon mentions that the phytic acid in the bran of the grain binds zinc more than the other four minerals that are mentioned. Consumption of grains that are not soaked or sprouted could affect how zinc is absorbed.

Freerangemama - Glad to hear such good news!

Peace to all you mamas,
#134 of 139 Old 09-29-2005, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisabeth
hmmmm, if he can taste the zinc he doesn't necessarily need it. It's one of the minerals that if you are zinc deficient there will be no taste at all. Can you put it in juice or something to mask it? I haven't come across a really good chewable yet.

FreeRangeMama: congratulations! It's amazing what a change you can see with diet! I'm glad you found it.
The liquid zinc was in a cherry flavored suspension.. I'm not sure if she hated the cherry flavor or the zinc.
#135 of 139 Old 09-29-2005, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Kirkmans carries hypoallergenic zinc capsules and raspberry flavored liquid. I use their MVI and unflavored colustrum. Both are mild in flavor. The capsules only contain zinc, magnesium stearate, and plant cellulose. The liquid contains sucralose and is illegal.

http://www.kirkmanlabs.com/products/...0_Spec023.html

peace,
#136 of 139 Old 09-29-2005, 08:24 PM

(I honestly don't have time to read 3 threads worth multiplied by at least 5 pages each, so please forgive me if this has already been asked and answered as I'm NAK and listening to the others scream at each other).

Making yogurt from raw milk...
I want to make yogurt from our raw milk supply we get. But I don't want to purchase non-organic, non-raw enzymes.
1) How do you make yogurt?
2) Where do you get enzymes that are 'organic' or basically acceptible to my crunchy asperations?

All the recipes I see require enzymes... Yet, if I let the milk sit in my frig for a long time, it separates and it smells sweet like yogurt. Anyone know what I've made by letting raw milk sit and separate? It isn't curdy, so I hesitate to say curds and whey.
#137 of 139 Old 09-29-2005, 09:37 PM

Electra

Not enzymes but lactic acid bacteria such as acidophilus, thermophilus and bulgaricus.

Butterworks makes an organic yogurt with only acidophilus and bifidus, but it is a VT co. not sure if it's available where you are. You could use Stoneyfield Farm organic but that contains multiple organisms including bifidus which we are trying to avoid. The measurement is 1/4 c. yogurt to 1 qt. of milk.

The Nourishing Traditions raw milk yogurt recipe is to bring raw milk up to 110F over a double boiler and then culture at 95F. I do agree with a lower temp for raw milk. If I use a yogurt maker, it gets too hot and makes the yogurt curdled.

Raw milk left to sit sours. The whey is great for making cultured veggies or soaking grains. It does contain some lactobacillus but not as much as yogurt that is cultured. Our soured raw milk tastes ! It's supposed to be good for you, but no way could I choke it down. I've seen suggestions for using it here:
http://www.westonaprice.org/foodfeat...e_rawmilk.html
#138 of 139 Old 09-29-2005, 09:38 PM

Thanks Moneca but I kicked our useless ND to the curb... haven't decided what to do next on that front
#139 of 139 Old 10-01-2005, 04:37 PM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page