coumadin and fatigue - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-08-2005, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is anyone else out there on coumadin (warfarin)? I am soooo tired now, but I don't see anywhere on the label or info sheet that fatigue is a side effect (coumadin is a blood thinner).
#2 of 6 Old 09-08-2005, 03:49 PM

My partner is on coumadin and he has always complained about fatigue. He also gets mysterious headaches and gets cold/hot very easily.

If you don't mind me asking, why are you on it? He has a rare Protein S deficiency.
#3 of 6 Old 09-08-2005, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your response. I can barely get through the day, and I'm now on it for life. I have the MTHFR mutation (loci: C667t). It predisposes me for clots and certain types of cancer (I can't metabolize folate very well).

I am worried, this is literally a rat poison. I am looking into homeopathic alternatives since i just can't go through life this tired all the time.
#4 of 6 Old 09-09-2005, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWine
Thanks for your response. I can barely get through the day, and I'm now on it for life. I have the MTHFR mutation (loci: C667t).
Have you clotted? I thought MTHFR mutations were usually treated with folic acid, B6 and B12 with periodic monitoring of homocysteine levels? I'm on warfarin (Coumadin), but don't experience side effects. I'm heterozygous FVL and have clotted at least twice (DVT's), with a probable misdiagnosed (thank you small town ER) pulmonary embolism in addition.
#5 of 6 Old 09-09-2005, 10:56 AM

My Dh take coumadin for a prothrombin gene mutation and reoccurent pumunary embolisms. He as has fatigue as well. I have gone over this many times with my father an (ND) about what we can do to get him off. My father is not confident enought to take him off completely but he did say to reduce the dossage my DH could take theraputic doses of fish oils, keep all grains and sugars out of his diet, and maintain an other wise healthy diet. We have'nt gone to in depth because my Dh dosen't want to try natural treatments. But if you want to go off coumadin I would reccomend seeing a reputable liscensed natropathic physician and not trying it yourself.
#6 of 6 Old 09-09-2005, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHiddenFees
Have you clotted? I thought MTHFR mutations were usually treated with folic acid, B6 and B12 with periodic monitoring of homocysteine levels?
Yes and yes.

I had a super huge clot during pregnancy with dd1. From the bottom of my calf all the way my leg into my pelvis to just beneath my inferior vena cava.

In addition to the vitamins, I agree with the docs that I should be on anticoagulation therapy.

The fish oil, etc. sounds interesting, Goddess 3. I will definitely look into that option.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page