EmergenC during pregnancy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 09-20-2005, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone:

Does anyone know if it's safe to take the EmergenC (Vitamin C) supplement during early pregnancy? I'm kind of doubting it, so I'm not using it, but when I do it gives me the energy I need to get through the day!

I'm not preggers yet (that I know of), but we're trying!

Thanks for any info!
#2 of 13 Old 09-20-2005, 06:42 PM

I did, since my midwife recommended it. I took one during labor, too.
#3 of 13 Old 09-20-2005, 11:58 PM

Susan Weed in her "Herbal for the Childbearing Year" lists high doses of Vitamin C as an abortificant in early pregnancy.
#4 of 13 Old 09-21-2005, 12:05 AM

I drank Emergen-C all through my pregnancy, probably 2-3 packets per day. It was the only thing that helped me drink as much water as I needed. My midwife never said anything about it other than that she carried it in her birth kit.

After all that consumption, I had a healthy 9lb 2oz baby at home, 16 days after his due date. From what I've read, vitamin C strengthens the amniotic sac, so I wonder if that might be why he came so late. My water didn't break until right before he was born.

Excess vitamin C is excreted in your urine, so it does not build up in your body - it's a water-soluble vitamin. I personally wouldn't be concerned about it and if there's another pregnancy in my future, I will probably drink Emergen-C through that pregnancy, too.
#5 of 13 Old 09-21-2005, 12:39 AM

not sure if it is the "emergen-C" brand, or a similar product, but i read the pamphlet of one, and it was talking about the "C-babies" or something like that, saying that all these healthy, super-smart babies came from moms who took several packets a day of emergenC (or whatever C product)..so I would assume it is fine...at least up to a couple grams a day....maybe not inthe first tri, if you are worried??.....

CPST
#6 of 13 Old 09-22-2005, 02:15 AM

I just looked at one of my packets, and if it is the vitamin b and vitamin c version, you could probably safely take a packet every few hours. vitamins b and c are all water soluble, which means your body will just excrete what it doesn't need and you will pee it out.

there is another emergen-c version that contains some vitamin a, d, e or k -- can't remember which -- and i'd limit taking that one to just one or possibly two times a day since vitamins a, d, e or k are all fat soluble and have maximum dosage limits because you could technically take too much. you'd have to check the label for amounts to know specifically how much was okay to take.

for what it's worth, i sometimes took 2-3 emergen-c packets per day towards the end of my pregnancy. and during the first trimester, i was downing lemonade and vitamin c-rich foods and beverages because that was what appealed to my jumbly stomach.

hope this helps...

~claudia
#7 of 13 Old 09-22-2005, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyRED
Susan Weed in her "Herbal for the Childbearing Year" lists high doses of Vitamin C as an abortificant in early pregnancy.
I'm wondering if this is because many of the other herbals she recommends are already Vit. C potent, thus making a supplement too much for a pregnant mom?
#8 of 13 Old 09-24-2005, 03:53 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Emergen_c is excellent during pregnancy and during Labor...

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#9 of 13 Old 11-24-2008, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyRED View Post
There are only 1000mg per packet.

Pat

I have a blog.
#10 of 13 Old 11-24-2008, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyRED View Post
I don't think of 1000mg as a high dose. I'm comfortable taking it during pregnancy.
#11 of 13 Old 03-23-2009, 02:05 PM

Just dredging up an old one here because I'm getting a cold....

When I had my miscarriage the midwife recommended taking high-doses of vitamin-c to help sped things along and I didn't have any bleeding or anything until after I had taken a few doses of emergen-c.

Book lovin librarian nerd mama to Caleb 6/06 and Aiden 4/09: and 1 angel 11/07. "No one cries alone in my presence."
#12 of 13 Old 11-16-2012, 11:39 AM

i was curious as ive been sick for 2 weeks if i was allowed to take emergen-c so i called my dr and they all agree it is not safe to take while pregnant. 

#13 of 13 Old 11-17-2012, 06:45 AM

I take high doses (much much higher than an emergen-c packet which wouldn't even make it off the tip of my tongue as I have a very high need for C) during all my pregnancies and have only seen benefits. 

vitamincfoundation.org has a lot of good information on the topic.  Unfortunately, the site has been down for a few days due to a server move.

Mother to 6

12, 11, 9, 6, 3, 1

Pray, Hope and Don't Worry

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page