Wic - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 09-24-2005, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ok, probably embarrassing myself here, but, does anyone else here use WIC? We have in the past, but I stopped going when they said, "if you dot let us stab your children's fingers for iron testing, you cant get WIC anymore" so i said fine, and left. Sorry, not letting them poke and prod my children. Its not their fault we dont have much money.

Right now, we are really struggling, and could really use the extra help. I have seen them refuse people for no vax before, when in fact, they cant do that, so now I am wondering, did they refuse us wrongly too? We dont vax anymore, but I am not worried about dealing with that, because I know they cant do anything. anyone else have an opinion??

wife to my awesome DH, homeschooling, unassisted birthing, food growing, life loving mama to 5 crazy monkeys. :
#2 of 12 Old 09-24-2005, 01:11 PM

I would think refusing services that are intended to keep Women, Infants and Children healthy is rediculous.

I have worked in public schools for several years now, and you would be surprised how many people in public (or "state") jobs present themselves as the authority, when they are just trying to enforce their opinions. (I will say that it has worked in my favor, sometimes the other way, too.)

I would go back again, and if they refuse you services, I would demand a written statement as to why, on the spot!

This is your legal right, and that of your children they are playing with!

It is okay that you need the financial help of their office and that is why they are there in the first place-and why those employed there have a job!

#3 of 12 Old 09-24-2005, 01:41 PM

we are WIC recipients and when we were our poorest we were really really thankful for the food. we now eat the dairy because it is free and it is better for us to have plenty than too little food

in the four or so years I have received WIC over two states and with a break inbetween, our four children put together have only had 3 or 4 iron tests with the finger prick and I say they are worth having so you know if your kids are healthy...we don't vax and we aren't harrassed for it
#4 of 12 Old 09-25-2005, 02:26 AM

I'm pretty sure WIC only cares about the the hemoglobin, hence the finger stick. Go back. Get the help while you need it.
#5 of 12 Old 09-25-2005, 02:55 AM

This has been a big piece of my hesitation with WIC. I really have a hard time with them testing my DD for whatever reason. She see's her ped regularly, if they are concerned, then they should direct us to make an appointment. I think it's just another way to collect data on low income people.
#6 of 12 Old 09-25-2005, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajessica
This has been a big piece of my hesitation with WIC. I really have a hard time with them testing my DD for whatever reason. She see's her ped regularly, if they are concerned, then they should direct us to make an appointment. I think it's just another way to collect data on low income people.
That is possible, but they are also trying to give foods that will prevent malnutrition. I work from a grant from the first 5. We provide breastfeeding assistance and education and information about infant attachment free of charge. Yeah, we do collect data, but we also provide excellent service and resources. They are striving to make breastfeeding and AP the norm.
#7 of 12 Old 09-26-2005, 05:34 AM

As for your legal right, can you contact college or university near you to find free or low cost legal service provided by there student “to be”? May be, what they need is a simple thing as a letter to state what your rights are. Or, I hope the issue can be resolved as simple as that, since you may be dealing with people under the illusion of authority instead of service.
#8 of 12 Old 09-26-2005, 06:37 AM

Don't they just check the iron every 6 months though?

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#9 of 12 Old 09-26-2005, 10:01 AM

I've been on WIC off and on for the last 13 years. There were times my children didn't "cooperate" and refused the finger stick and it was no big deal. I don't think they can deny you over it.
#10 of 12 Old 09-26-2005, 11:30 AM

if the fingerstick is REALLY something you feel is wrong, there are other avenues. Look for food banks and Human Crisis counsles(sp) in your area, they usually help out with meat and dried goods rather than dairy products, but they don't really advertise much. At our local HCC if you can volunteer there for just a few hours a week you can get almost all the food you need free. It's not packaged all pretty like a grocery store is but it's good food and worth my 4 hours on saturday.
#11 of 12 Old 09-26-2005, 01:27 PM

I wouldn't think they can deny you b/c you refuse it, i work for them as a peer couselor, so not all the way sure but i'll ask my cordinatior what she thinks next time i'm in the office, i think the main reason they do it is in order for a child/mom to qualify for WIC then have to have the finacial risk AND a nutritional risk so they check the iorn and if it's low that's a risk factor but they can get lots of other one other then that, such as not eating enough veg/fruits/ milk/meat/ ect /ect. Also a low or high weight gain, ect.
#12 of 12 Old 09-26-2005, 05:00 PM

PS to the OP there is NOTHING to be embarassed about we all need help at some point in our lives

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page