Forum Jump: 

#301 of 313 Old 10-31-2005, 05:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
Deborah!

What are you avoiding? Breakfast for us is fruit, eggs, almond or other nut bread/pancakes/waffles/muffins.

My guy eats in the car a lot (we tend to go out in the morning and he needs a snack when we are done hiking or park or whatever). I just pack a lot of things in our mini cooler in little bowls, pretty much whatever he eats at home and just clean up the car afterwards :LOL

JaneS We're currently avoiding dairy, wheat, eggs, soy, corn, nuts, peas, spinach, lentils, black beans, strawberries, and seafood. The allergy testing she had (RAST) showed allergies to dairy and wheat. She has behavior issues when she has corn. And the peas, spinach, lentils, black beans were diarrhea and/or eczema flares. The eggs, soy, nuts, strawberries and seafood are things the allergist wants us to avoid on principal. I really miss nuts, but I'd feel better having allergy testing done before I try giving them to her. I'll ask for that in January.
Packing food in bowls to eat in the car sounds like an idea. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#302 of 313 Old 10-31-2005, 06:29 AM

artisticat--where do you buy the Green Pasture's cod liver oil? I googled it but couldn't find any sites. I want dd to have cod liver oil, but I haven't found one yet she does well with.
#303 of 313 Old 10-31-2005, 01:05 PM

Jess, could DS be reacting to the carrots or other veggies in the broth?

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#304 of 313 Old 10-31-2005, 07:29 PM

Hi all,

I have a question about going grain free. I've read the pecan bread site, but it didn't have all the info. I need. So what carbs are legal?

We have found that we are hungry if we don't eat carbs with a meal. We generally stick to millet and quinoa, and amaranth or oatmeal for breakfast.

I totally dont understand why super ripe bananas and honey will not feed yeast. If I eat a ripe banana on its own, I feel a sugar rush afterwards.

I have also heard that not eating carbs will make you anemic, as discovered by an ND who used to promote seperating carbs and protein, and he found that if people stuck to the diet for some time, they did not resolve their (digestive) health problems, and some were worse. A couple even develped cancer while on his diet.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. I also do not understand the milk and egg promotion. All the NDs I've seen say these are the highest allergens and to avoid them. I've had vega and blood allergy testing and both of these proteins are a problem for me. I wonder if ds is allergic to them too because he craves cheese and eggs, and from what I've read and what the ND told me, if you crave it (like sugar) you're probably addicted=allergic to it.

So, I'm now super confused!
Thanks for all your help!

Jessica wool.gif  DS 7  DD 4 homeschool.gif
#305 of 313 Old 10-31-2005, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimi!
Hi all,

I have a question about going grain free. I've read the pecan bread site, but it didn't have all the info. I need. So what carbs are legal?

We have found that we are hungry if we don't eat carbs with a meal. We generally stick to millet and quinoa, and amaranth or oatmeal for breakfast.

I totally dont understand why super ripe bananas and honey will not feed yeast. If I eat a ripe banana on its own, I feel a sugar rush afterwards.

I have also heard that not eating carbs will make you anemic, as discovered by an ND who used to promote seperating carbs and protein, and he found that if people stuck to the diet for some time, they did not resolve their (digestive) health problems, and some were worse. A couple even develped cancer while on his diet.
So you are finding that you need the breakfast cereal? How about the rest of your day? How much in the way of grains?

I can tell you from my experience that I do better without any kind of grains. I am not really concerned about my diet being low-carb. I eat a lot of vegetables and fruit now and then. I've tried various grains like quinoa and millet, sprouted or soaked, and have finally decided, much to my disappointment, that I do better without.

Quote:
Oh yeah, I almost forgot. I also do not understand the milk and egg promotion. All the NDs I've seen say these are the highest allergens and to avoid them. I've had vega and blood allergy testing and both of these proteins are a problem for me. I wonder if ds is allergic to them too because he craves cheese and eggs, and from what I've read and what the ND told me, if you crave it (like sugar) you're probably addicted=allergic to it.
It depends so much on the quality of the milk and eggs. Those supermarket eggs with pale yellow yokes are probably not worth eating. Free range eggs have dark orange yokes and a higher content of EFAs. And it's the same with the eggs. Back just after my c/s I had to pump my milk and discovered that I was producing gray colostrum. I just thought to ask the chiro about it. He told me that the medications had oxidized the fat in my milk and turned it gray. Rancid milk to my newborn. Nice. And it's the same with cow's milk -- the milk is affected by their diets. FInd a cow on a good diet, milk it, and drink the milk. Otherwise, forget about it.

On cravings, they work both ways. I just ate three bowls of crab bisque and am going to head back for more. But I have found that it has taken getting the diet in order to trust the cravings as something to follow rather than to avoid.

Amanda

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#306 of 313 Old 10-31-2005, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Hi all,

So, I'm now super confused!
Thanks for all your help!
www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info is the official SCD site with a 'Legal/Illegal' -list that goes thru every food. As well as a 'Knowledge Base' that describes things in more detail.

If you do have yeast, it is recommended you limit honey and fruit at first.. however, if you follow the SCD diet's premise... that fruit and honey do not require digestion by the intestinal cells, the sugar is not going to the gut, it's being directly absorbed into the bloodstream. The bloodstream is NOT where the colony of yeast live, your gut is. See here:
http://www.pecanbread.com/scdscience.html

All I know is that I am VERY sensitive to sugar and whole grains... I used to react immediately with gas and bloating...had tons of thrush while bf'ing... and the SCD diet has been amazing. I have seen it work myself.

This is what the author has to say about allergies
http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.i.../allergies.htm

The book explains more about how the food are digested and why it's carb that are the problem, because if not fully digested, they ferment and damage the gut, the protein foods do not. Of course whether a person's gut is so damaged as to not even be able to digest milk and eggs is another story but I like the SCD b/c it's clinically tested, it's not hearsay. It's for the most damaged guts there are: Crohn's, colitis, celiac, etc.

The reason why Pecanbread touts a dairy free SCD is for ASD kids which reacts to casein protein like it's an opiate.

I really know nothing about allergy testing since I knew my and my DS's intestinal flora was out of balance and that was the main cause. I spent over a year on Elimination/Rotation Diets and they fixed nothing.

Anemia can be caused by a damaged gut in the first place... the nutrients are not being absorbed so I'm not sure you can hang it on that ND's theory. There are also many causes of cancer, and I know improper nutrition is one of them.
#307 of 313 Old 11-01-2005, 02:07 AM

Quote:

Hi, mimi. I struggle with this, too. I feel kind of hungry without the carbs and more full when I have them.

But for myself personally, I'm starting to wonder if the "full" feeling is a bit of bloating for me, because my when I don't have the grains, I feel less "stuffed". My body feels more "streamlined". If that makes sense.

Anyway, I have read from some of the SCD lists that for some, the hunger was a bother in the beginning but then stabilized. I think that is why Elaine advises no quantity limits on the intro diet, just to eat when hungry.

Also, I remember reading on Dr. Mercola's site that it can take a bit of time for your insulin levels to stabilize when cutting down on grains. Maybe hunger is a side effect of that, too? Maybe that is what happend for the other SCD folks for whom the hunger eventually abated?
Here's the link and quote from the Mercola site:link (middle of page)

Quote:
Eat every two hours. Most of us eat large amounts of grains and sugars that cause us to have large amounts of insulin circulating in our blood. When you stop eating grains your body will take several days to lower your insulin levels. In the meantime the high insulin levels will cause you to have many symptoms such as dizziness, confusion, headaches, and generally feeling miserable. If you eat every two hours for the first few days of your transition you will be able to avoid this temporary side effect. You will need to eat some protein, such as an egg, piece of chicken, turkey or fish, or some seeds, along with a vegetable such as a piece of celery, cucumber or red pepper. This will help to prevent hypoglycemia and stabilize your blood sugar.
If it's easier to cut down on grains gradually rather than cutting them out altogether, I see no reason why you couldn't go that route.
Of course, I find grains very addictive so either way is hard for me. I love rice and pasta but I have found that since I have cut wayyyyy down, that the less I have it, the less I want it.
Keep in mind that based on the science of the SCD diet, it states it must be followed 100% for healing to happen. But, unless you are having severe gastrointestinal distress (such as Crohn's, IBS, etc.), in which case sticking to the diet immediately should help provide relief, I don't see why you couldn't just gradually cut down on grains.

I am still working on finding SCD recipes that the whole family likes. Once I get a bunch of those together, I hope it will be easier and easier for us to make the last leap.

And finally, this thought popped into my head. IMHO I think any diet benefits from an increase in fruits and vegetables rather than an increase in either grains or proteins I find most people tend to focus on one or the other, rather than the fruits or veggies, when changing their diets. My twocents

Loon , dh , dd , and twins ds1 dd2 **Thoughts become things. - Mike Dooley**
#308 of 313 Old 11-01-2005, 10:40 AM

Quote:
artisticat--where do you buy the Green Pasture's cod liver oil? I googled it but couldn't find any sites. I want dd to have cod liver oil, but I haven't found one yet she does well with.
www.greenpasture.org

although I've been noticing increased gas and reflux in my dd. I wonder if it is the cod liver oil? the mint has lemon oil in it? But, she has had such a wierd diet the last few days adn me lots of sugar. I will figure it out eventually. So I would recommend the cinnamon i guess, but don't know if that has lemon oil or not.

I just checked out the website and they don't have the labels for all of them anymore, so you could call them and ask what is all in the cinnamon flavor.
#309 of 313 Old 11-01-2005, 07:20 PM

Thanks for your help, Amanda, Jane and Loon. I'll look into those pecan bread pages some more. I remember seeing baked goods made from Almonds . . . sigh, I can't eat that either, my throat get itchy.

So if milk (I can't get raw here) and eggs are also allergens for me, what are you all eating for breakfast?

We just went to a halloween party last night with other toddlers and ds (2.5 yrs) tends to go nuts on the snacks: there were cheesies and homemade sugar cookies (the normal kind). He sees these foods and wants to consume en mass. I decided that the cheesies were the worst of the two (esp. since I'm allergic to corn). So I let him have the cookies, which he proceeded to eat 1/2 a dozen of. I feel I do have to limit him, and he did ask to eat a cheesie. He already knows there are some foods we do not eat. I am of course worried how this limitation will afffect him psychologically. ..

Jessica wool.gif  DS 7  DD 4 homeschool.gif
#310 of 313 Old 11-01-2005, 07:28 PM

Quote:
So if milk (I can't get raw here) and eggs are also allergens for me, what are you all eating for breakfast?
I mostly eat eggs for breakfast but just this morning I had fish and I also have soup fairly regularly. I get tired of eggs all the time. I know it doesn't sound like breakfast.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#311 of 313 Old 11-01-2005, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I remember seeing baked goods made from Almonds . . . sigh, I can't eat that either, my throat get itchy.

... I feel I do have to limit him, and he did ask to eat a cheesie. He already knows there are some foods we do not eat. I am of course worried how this limitation will afffect him psychologically. ..
Is it possible you could be reacting to something on the almonds? Meaning that organic almonds might not produce this reaction. That is actually how I got into organic foods over 15 years ago... I could never eat apples, cherries, plums and grapes unless they were local. Something that was sprayed on them caused my throat to close up. I found organics and could eat them with no problem and I was in heaven!

I have seen other people say that almonds were a problem for them or their kids too and they use cashews or pecans. You can just grind the nuts up in a blender or food processor into flour meal. Then add the recipe ingredients and continue to process into finer bits.

RE: psychological effects of food limiting
I worry about my DS too, but he seems to take it in stride now. He knows some food is his and other food is for other people. We've had a hard time at playgroup, I felt somewhat ostracized since most of the moms gave their kids whatever, and I do mean whatever! Until one just got dx with celiac disease, so now we all bring our own food. It's so common these days, I don't think your child will be the only one. Plus, there will be other issues that you as a family will not do... it's all part of growing up really and respecting and learning the choices your parents make for you.

Hey, I'm already worried about DS going away to college and eating crap!! I'm seriously fantasizing about steps I will take such as shipping him raw milk and healthy snacks... and then he'd have to live off campus so he could have a full size frig... etc. etc.

But then I think thank goodness he is not celiac, it could be much worse. At least he has the potential to be healed. Can you imagine a celiac in college ... pizza party central?? UGH.
#312 of 313 Old 11-01-2005, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Oh and forgot to mention my latest breakfast idea: baked butternut squash with yogurt, honey and spices
#313 of 313 Old 11-01-2005, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page