Mothering Forum banner

Healing the Gut Tribe: October

16K views 312 replies 27 participants last post by  JaneS 
#1 ·
There were a couple of things I wanted to start this thread with... but now I forgot what they were.

Maybe I'll regain my brain in a day or two...up w/ DS for 3 hours last night!!!

See less See more
#27 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaneS
What's a pulpotomy? a root canal? There's lots of warnings about root canals, it's impossible to clean all the hundreds of roots, and infection and cavitations results in most cases. http://www.mercola.com//article/dent...anal/index.htm

Also, I think crowns and the fillings under them can contain amalgam (mercury), it's important to check that everything will be metal free. Are they teeth that really need to be saved?
Jane,

The crowns are stainless steel, and the fillings are all composites. This dentist does not use amalgams.

The teeth do need to be saved. They are her molars, as those will be the last to come out. Two others are her canines, which have deep grooves near the gumline.

Yes, a pulpotomy is a "baby" root canal. Only a portion of the tooth is removed. An "adult" root canal would be removing the root.
At least one is definitely necessary because the cavity has gone down to the gum. The other is most likely, but we will check the dental xrays; those will be done under anesthesia, too.

Quote:
In pulpotomy, all of the coronal pulp tissue is removed from the crown (visible portion of the tooth above the gums) but the pulp tissue in the root canals remain. This is different than pulpectomy in which all of the pulp is removed from both the root canals and crown.
http://www.dentalfind.com/glossary/pulpotomy.html

Thanks for the info you provided. I appreciate all that I can get!

Loon

#28 ·
Welcome, new mamas! We are doing remarkably well on the SCD and I have actually convinced two other families to start as they have seen our progress. I met with two other moms this morning that sound like they are going to take the leap as well. It's so exciting to facilitate positive change! I re-introduced carrots and avacados and we are going strong. I am seeing great progress. I also made yogurt for the first time and MAN was that easy! I have no idea why I waited so long. I am liking the diet alot myself, I feel like I'm much more adventurous in the kitchen and I'm making some really yummy things. Last night I made an SCD pecan pie and it was quite good. Totally satisfies my residual sweet cravings! How many mamas have converted their families? Are you doing the diet yourselves or just changing for the kiddos? Dh is starting *officially* today. He has major issues and it was a huge step to get him to start. I won him over finally by telling him it would be cheaper if we were all eating the same thing. Simplifies everything and it's only one meal to have to prepare. Plus, you save alot by eliminating refined stuff. I'm hoping to see lots of progress with him. Then we can be a poster-family for gut health

#29 ·
Quote:

Just saying Hi! I've been wondering how you and Jasmine were doing...
Hi Jane,

Jasmine has had some kind of cold/crud that seems to be going around here. Her fever got up to 104 and dh said to take her to MD so we did, and one of her ears was infected. They prescribed antibiotics, but luckily she didn't want to take it so dh went along w/ my decision not to give them. So I tried the garlic/mullein ear oil and Hyland's earache tablets, plus took her to a chiro who adjusted her "axis" which was out which can supposedly cause ear infections. She was doing better but today has been pulling on her ears again.. of course, she is teething too... I'm just hoping the mucous clears up soon!

Thanks for asking.

#31 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by loon13
Jane,

The crowns are stainless steel, and the fillings are all composites. This dentist does not use amalgams.

The teeth do need to be saved. They are her molars, as those will be the last to come out. Two others are her canines, which have deep grooves near the gumline.

Loon
Loon, I can sympathize

We just found out today - took Evan to the dentist for another cavity we can see - that he has weak enamel, that his top baby teeth didn't form right, and we are going to be fighting cavities until he gets his adult teeth
She said this has nothing to do with diet or brushing - she can see that the enamel on the top teeth is just weak. His bottom teeth are fine and his gums are fine.

He has already had two fillings in top molars, and tomorrow he has to get a crown on a molar. When she showed me the inside of the tooth with her mirror, I felt so bad - it is all crumbling away

It is all non-mercury - this is a pediatric dentist who does not use any mercury in his practice. Still I feel so bad that a 2.5 yr old has to go through so much dental work.

Linda

#32 ·
: Pecan pie!!?? I wish I lived near you. You'd share wouldn't you?
Where'd you get the recipe?

I never make stuff like that just for myself. DH wouldn't do the diet in a million bazillion years even though he has digestive issues too.

Tonight I had a yummy dinner... roasted butternut squash cubes with sage, olive oil and butter. Fresh rosemary chicken sausage patties. And spaghetti squash with parmesan cheese.
I'm loving spaghetti squash lately.

#33 ·
Re: teeth and cavities

I was just reading at Mercola.com about Vitamin D and how vital it is in order to absorb any minerals at all. Then of course, thinking about Weston Price's rec for cod liver oil and high vitamin butter, makes sense.

How's everyone's D level?

We have high vitamin butter from our raw co-op, it's so yellow it's practically orange. But I've not given it to DS b/c of the dairy issue. That is until this week. Yup, I couldn't take it any longer, I'm just going for it. Butter only for now. He seems to be fine. Of course he is finally up to 3 Peptzyde enzyme caps a day too.

He's probably not even allergic to dairy and I'm just being a dolt. I just couldn't figure it out together with all his other reactions.

#34 ·
Quote:

Yikes, that's very concerning since the test is that a mature gut has the acid to neutralize it... and we are dealing with damaged guts here.
I think it's actually the stomach acidity that matters for honey. I thought most of the issues here are more lower intestinal issues ?

Linda

#37 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by llp34
I think it's actually the stomach acidity that matters for honey. I thought most of the issues here are more lower intestinal issues ?

Linda
Yes, but low acidity is pretty common too. Wonder how you can check a kid for that?

Good luck to you and Evan tomorrow!!!

#38 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by llp34
Loon, I can sympathize

Thanks, Linda. And hugs to you for Evan.

Our dentist said she wasn't going to tell me to stop weaning nor was she going to tell me something like not to give dd candy. She believes all we can do is maintain good brushing habits and, when possible, rinse the mouth with water after eating. Her own children have had work done.

<sigh> I believe genetics play some factor. But I also believe nutrition can only help.

elisabeth, what great progress!!! I can't wait to get home and get started again. I was planning to do only for myself and dd, but he saw our progress when we were doing it at home, and he is willing to join in when we get back.

#40 ·
ok, giving an update real quick; we went to the ND today. She seemed to be fairly knowledgeable about leaky gut and all that. She however wasn't aware of the SCD, or raw dairy.

her suggestions were to;

1) stop solids for Luke for a month - 3 month and see how his gut is, at this point he only eats 1-3 T a day and it always comes out exactly how it comes in
2) continue for me to give up the dairy, and also cut out chocolate and carbs; breads and pasta- stick to whole grains
3) she gave me some supplements; Biogest, All-Flora, Formula SF722, and PermaClear
4) try to make sure my food is as close to the natural state as possible
5) continue with cod liver oil and up the dosage

So, we are trying to heal my gut and the yeast and giving lil' man's gut a break from solids. I think I am fairly happy with this plan. Although, I think I am definitlely going to look into the SCD more. She wants me to make sure I get plenty of protein and fat, not to skimp on anything.

#41 ·
oh, Jane, yes, the in-laws do spank my nephew, it is very sad, they have also force fed him food, because he refuses to eat
That is interesting about Vit D, I had never heard that. We should be doing ok, especially with upping the dosage of CLO

elisabeth- that is great you are converting people! we haven't told dh's family about any of this, they would sure enough think we are crazy! I am hoping to get dh on board though and help clear up his yeast issues. His family could sure use a total diet makeover though! His mom has fibromyalgia, acid reflux, etc; very poor shape, his sister also has terrible digestive issues, of course she was on bc pills for 10+ years, it is very, very sad and my niece will undoubtedly have the same issues; ff from day one, same age as Luke and being fed cheetos and dr. pepper.....

oh, and I forgot the nd seemed to think it was more of the leaky gut than allergies really, which I guess is my thoughts as well. She wanted me to concentrate on cutting out my major cravings; dairy and chocolate; the lc had thought that eggs and chicken were issues as well; I hadn't really suspected those things, the ND wasn't concerned about those, so I believe I might add those back in my diet, but will be leaving the oats out for now. I also think I will be cutting out beef because I am fairly well certain that it is was causing blood in his stool as after eliminating most everything else I suspected but that and then it occurs. She really wants me to make sure I am getting enough calories as I will be exclusively nursing him and trying to heal myself; of course he is already 99% bf. She did say that bm was the absolute best thing for him. The only thing that made me question her is when she asked if we were making sure to retract and clean lil' man's penis; I promptly told her no and that is very, very bad, I am thinking of bring some info to her on the care of an intact penis,,,, but I digress.....

#42 ·
loon and Linda, I feel sorry for both of your babes! I sure hope they get through their procdures as quicly and easily as possible.

Oh, and it is intersting to read abut the honey and hay fever; atlhough I don't know a source for raw honey, I will have to keep my ears open.

#43 ·
Hi -

I'm new to this forum today. I am currently trying to manage my daughter's eczema. She is 8 months old now and we have been battling for 6 months or so, her cheeks have been quite bad at times. I already have her on probiotics (Culturelle & Threelac) but am wondering if they are the right kinds... also, very interested in enzymes but not sure where to get them? Can anyone help me with specific product names? I also have her on Nordic Naturals Berry Keen cod liver oil. I am still nursing and plan to go to at least a year.

I am truly on board with the whole idea of "healing the gut" to lead to better, even great health for our babies!

Thank you, in advance!

Grace's Mom

#44 ·
Oooh, so exciting to see all the new mamas since I last checked in. I couldn't keep up with all the new names as I caught up on posts from the last week. Welcome
to all of you and glad to have you in the tribe.

Jane - Thanks for starting the October thread
:. You know things have gone south for us. Maybe you could get directlabs.com to at least order the urine neurotransmitter test for you if you're really curious. My ND is such a proponent of this testing that she might be willing to work with you over the phone if you couldn't order the test through directlabs.com. Let me know cuz I'd be glad to talk to her for you.

Elisabeth -
for making the yoghurt. I knew you could do it
! It's incredible that you're sharing your good news with your friends. I need to make a trip up to MA to go camping and meet Jane/Luke along the way. I think I might make a detour in CT to place a face with a name too.

Sarah - Good to hear from you again

We went upstate to a fair this weekend and I met the coolest man who is a beekeeper. His honey with garlic and red pepper flakes first attracted DH and I.
We were eating it straight on crackers - oink oink. I then discovered that all his honey and pollen is completely raw. Pollen or cloudy honey is irritating to a damaged gut and therefor illegal according to BTVC site. Bummer. He ships and is located in PA. I found his prices to be quite reasonable. www.911honey.com
We just finished two weeks of vomiting hell. Yesterday was the worst as she literally brought up everything she ate during the day which was not very much at all. I had taken her off SCD two weeks ago to try glyconutrients. They resolved a good friends motility problem (I think Sierra has a major motility problem with her stomach which caused the dysbiosis) so I had to give it a try since SCD does not help with motility and the bugs will stay if the gut is not contracting to mix the food with HCL and enzymes. These were full of disaccharides so we went off the diet and ate according to NT. Well, two weeks of not eating and vomiting was not fun and the glyconutrients take at least 2 months to work. They feed the cells and just give your body the nutrients it needs to repair itself. Sierra could not have gone two months. We went back on the SCD today and cut out all her supplements except her MVI, CLO, and CA. She vomited 6 or 7 times yesterday. NO VOMITING today and she ate about 3 times what she did yesterday. We're going to add the supplements back in one at a time and space them 3 days apart. Colustrum will be the first to be added back in.
We found a doc in Long Island that specializes in the motility issue I think Sierra has. I had to call all over the country to find him and was actually referred to him by a doc in Ohio. It's crazy that he is the only one I could find in all NYC! I don't want to go to an MD, but if she has nerve damage to her stomach we must treat that. We'll continue with the chiro.
I'm perplexed by the fact that Sierra vomited so much yesterday and nothing today despite the fact that I'm giving her most of the same food. I know that she vomits undigested food that she ate 8 -10 hours previously, but has soft bm everyday. I don't understand how SCD could improve motility that quickly. Hmm. Any ideas. Pleasantly perplexed

Peace,

#45 ·
ok, I have been reading the SCD site, this seems to go along fairly close to what the ND recommended, stay away from the carbs! I had always thought that as long as they were whole grains they were ok, but ND said no, and it seems that SCD site is saying that as well. I thought it would be good to have some nice grains such as amaranth for breakfast, but I guess that is out.

I am confused though, should I do the diet? Right now Luke is off of solids, breastmilk only. I don't really have the strong symptoms like he does, just think I could feel better and is likely some unrecognized issues. It says if you have diarrhea or bad gas to not eat certain foods, does that mean I can skip that step. Plus, we are not doing dairy, so I am confused by that as well. And one more question while I am asking, the digestive enzymes and such I am taking, will that help him? I am assuming it will be passing to him as well. I don't know if I am understanding this anymore or not. Today I really struggled in the kitchen trying to figure out what to cook, so I ate a whole lot of turkey, as I had cooked a turkey breast.

#46 ·
crunchymama, that is so terrible about your nephew, don't you just want to take him and hold him sometimes? I get so mad when I see others hitting their kids, I feel like, hey, I'll take your kid if you don't want him/her! Anyway, as to whether to go on the diet, yes, especially if your ds is still even partially bf, because everything you eat goes right into the bm, especially if you have a leaky gut (which most Americans have, IMHO).

to all for your stories and your help with all this. I finally got my copy of BTVC in the mail (I had gotten it used and chose the slow mail for shipping), and also read on Pecanbread what to introduce when, and realized that we may have to go back to the intro diet for a day or two because I'd been introducing too many things too soon, like peas and beans. Ugh!

#47 ·
Jane-the recipe for pecan pie was off an SCD site-can't remember which one but I will have to post the recipe for you. It was very simple. Just pecans, a bit of yogurt, honey, butter, eggs and vanilla. Then you bake it with no crust. It was delicious!
Moneca-I'd love to meet you and Sierra! Let me know when you're coming through. The yogurt was sooooo easy. I feel silly

Has anyone here read any of Joel Fuhrman's stuff? This is my issue. I came to this forum after completely changing my diet due to reading Eat to Live . I really believe in his theories. They are compatible to SCD, and we have adapted pretty well. I got his new book:Disease-Proof Your Child yesterday and I'm about halfway through it. I feel so conflicted. For those of you who don't know him, he is a family practitioner in NJ who has successfully reversed all kinds of auto-immune diseases through nutritional healing. He has also had great success with allergies, asthma and bowel conditions. The only major place his "diet" deviates from SCD is that he doesn't believe that humans were meant to consume dairy. And I'll tell you what, he makes a very strong, scientific case. I go back and forth between him and Jordan Rubin and I get so muddled. Just wondering if anyone has read his stuff and how they are integrating it into this diet. For now, I'm just doing minimal dairy (obviously only what's allowed) but I think I may have to really reconsider. I'm planning on speaking to him tomorrow afternoon, and then see where I stand.
Crunchy mama-yes. If you are nursing you should do the diet. I know at least for me I was passing allergies down to my kids because of my own leaky gut. Healing myself is imperative in healing the kidlets.

#48 ·
I LOOOVE E2L. I totally believe in his theories...however, I eat yogurt and kefir. We eat some 'real' cheese. Other than that we are vegetarians. I really think when it comes to things like this, you need to follow your instincts. I feel the benefits of the yogurt/kefir outweigh the 'risks' for my family and we aren't reacting to it so...I think you need to take what you need and leave what you don't (within reason, of course) Just my fwiw

#49 ·
Crunchymama - Yes, you have to do the diet if you're still breastfeeding Luke. I skipped the intro initially because Bear never had diarrhea and read this the same way as you did. The 2-5 days on the intro diet (2 days is enough for kiddos and make sure you get enough fat since you are bf) is for jumpstarting your body in killing off the bacteria and yeast.

Elisabeth - I do agree with the author regarding pasturized and homogonized dairy products. Does he discuss raw dairy and goat? I'm really starting to believe that anytime man alters food it should not be eaten. Bear and I only eat raw cultured dairy products. We know the value of raw and culturing makes it more easily digestible and increases nutritional value not to mention adding omega 3s. Both of us now love the raw goat 24 hour yoghurt plain without additives.

This is our second day back on SCD. All is still well. The past couple of weeks Bear had been taking 1 to 1 1/2 hours to fall asleep for her nap. She would just sit in her crib and play. It took her an hour on Tuesday and then yesterday was down to 30 min. Today she fell right to sleep. This is so intriguing. I will figure all of this out and I am sending the good sleeping fairies to Jane's house
. Right now I'm just amazingly thankful
that my Bear feels so much better

Peace,

#50 ·
hi i'm new to the tribe

my son max has been battling eczema since around 3.5 months (he's 10 months today). we've tried all kinds of things (if you'd like more info, i've been keeping a record of our journey, click on the Jessica link, i'm just too tired to write it all out again right now
) and some have helped more than others, but ultimately, we know that we haven't found the key. i've been focusing my efforts of max, and healing him, but within the past few days, i've started treating myself with what we're giving him (DF bifidus and permeability factor) because i suspect that i have some leaky gut issues. then i ran into elisabeth at playgroup today and she told me about all the gut healing work they've been doing and told me about this tribe.

i'm pretty beat today, but still inspired to try to gather info and get serious about healing our guts. i want to eat again! i'm feeling overwhelmed (as i often do when following new leads
) but am going to try to go over the september thread and follow all the links to scour the sites, etc.

#51 ·
Hi

Trying to read some of the old threads and learn more..

Dd is 8.5 months, no solids yet (one or two tries), I did TED and found she reacted to dairy, soy, garbanzo beans, pork, citrus, all melons, all red berries, and peanuts (at least so far that's what we know, I'm still adding foods...)

I had abx during labor, never made it to fullblown thrush although I had some symptoms, she had none.

Reactions to foods I eat include huge amounts of ear wax, spitting up (she's on prevacid for reflux too), red diaper rash, ring around anus, screaming, congestion, inability to poo.

My mother and her mom have dairy/egg allergies, my FIL has a seafood allergy. I wasn't given any dairy until 14 months (ebf) so I don't think I had the exposure to have the allergy (mom didn't consume dairy while bf).

Dh and I have histories of chronic ear infections/tubes, although we both have no known food allergies.

The more I read, the more I learn, the more it all makes sense yet I can't explain it to someone and I can't fix it. SO I'm hoping you guys can help out!

At the moment dd and I are both taking probiotics (jarrow baby for her, another brand for me), I'm avoiding those foods she reacted to, and we're eaglerly waiting to start solids BUT the few times she's had some she either throws it all back up 1-2 hrs after eating or doesn't poo for a week, both of which I qualify as reactions. She's had apple, pear, cucumber, and avocado.

Teething, crawling, pulling up, generally frustrated, not sleeping well (either of us) nursing every 2 hrs at night and every hour during the day. The reflux seems mostly controlled with the meds and limiting my diet.

Help!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.