Healing the Gut Tribe: October - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 313 Old 10-10-2005, 07:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Jennifer, on the EFA's both the Carlson's CLO I have and the NOrdic Naturals FO have info on the side of the bottle about being clear of mercury and other metals. I have no idea about the probiotics though. I guess I shoudl have followed your lead and waited on starting here I am so lost...

my update;
not only am I starving, but I am going insane and infertile.....I have been a mean yelling mommy and just want to cry. I have no idea what the hell I am supposed to be eating and who knows when the damn book will come in... I would just give up, but I don't know what I would eat at all. So, since I have not a clue I have ate somethings off of the legal list; almond butter, honey, and some cooked pears. Oh, and last night I had a sample of some farmer's cheese, as I had read that DCCC is also called farmer's cheese, well, it was the wrong kind, so I had dairy after 3 weeks of none, so have to start that all over again and lil' man's cheeks are redder today, although his bm wasn't too bad this morning although he was a fireball today, would not nap until 2:30, kept me awake all last night nursing because we were gone yesterday and he won't hardly eat when we are out.

of course he may be constantly nursing because I have half-way gotten my period, although I didn't ovulate this month, my temps have tanked and my mucus was constant the entire month, so no sex...

I am going to have to change something because I am starving, as of this am I was down 10 lbs from 1 mo ago, when I started the whole elimination diet, no dairy etc diet. That is surely why my cycles have totally whacked out again, not to mention I have been sooooo stressed about all of this.

rambling on, don't know why,

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 313 Old 10-10-2005, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama
well, day one is done! we did ok, although I was starving by the time I got breakfast, I couldn't make the jello until I got up, finally around 11 or so I decided to do egg yolks. I was soooooo on edge yesterday, definitely bad mommy of the year. Lil' man was cracked out, didn't nap until 3:30, he is only getting my bm as of right now. His poops were yellow sometimes and then a darker green sometimes, with a little bit of red blood in there one time. That is so frustrating.

I had planned on only doing the intro for 2 days. Can anyone tell me what comes next? I have ordered the book, but am lost on what I am supposed to add? Or, could someone direct me to where that info is? Evidently I am awful at searching, because I haven't seen it yet.

here's hoping to a good day today! I hope everyone else is doing well also!
s

Do you think you are going thru die off? That can make anyone super cranky. As well as if you are hungry... are you eating enough fats?

According to the book, after the intro is cooked and seeded fruits and veggies. No cabbage family. Watch for any reactions (gas, bloating, the big D). Go slow with the yogurt, start with a small amount at a time. One teaspoon of homemade yogurt contains 5x more beneficial bacteria than the standard probiotic capsule.
http://www.healingcrow.com/ferfun/co...onspiracy.html
If you eat too much at first, it could cause huge die off.

Pecanbread has a list of more easily tolerated foods in stages, might be helpful:
http://www.pecanbread.com/foodprep.html#beyond
#93 of 313 Old 10-10-2005, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
well, we started to do! I already screwed up my gelatin, how I messed that up I don't know. I had dh pick up Welch's 100% grape juice, but it said on the ingredients it was from concentrate, which I thought was bad, but I drank it as the brand was what she specified. My soup is cooking, and I am starving.

Jane, we haven't done any allergy tests,b ecause I didn't want to mess with the ped and they aren't very accurate. I did do an elimination diet and that is what the LC determine, plus my own investigations. I think I will just go slow with it all, I really think it is a gut issue as well. OH, and if there is anyone out there today- as I understand for the intro it is best to cut out the other suplements expect the probiotics, and fish oil. I thought I would use my fish oil from Nordic Naturals for this couple of days because my clo is lemon flavored- from Carlsons.
Yes, I guess Elaine got assurances from Welch's that there is absolutely no sugar added. Personally I hate using non organic juice from grapes though, they are the worst for pesticides. We use the Knudsen Organic Just Juice that has been okayed (all the Just Juice line is SCD legal).
http://www.knudsenjuices.com/product...pid=7&catid=53

Once I knew that our problems were intestinal imbalance, I never put much stock in allergy tests, so we never got them done either.
#94 of 313 Old 10-10-2005, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einley
subscribing- haven't gotten through the Sept. thread yet, but I'm working on it!
Genevieve, let us know if you have any questions
#95 of 313 Old 10-10-2005, 09:31 PM

thanks a million, that really helps! looks like I jumped the gun abit on the almond butter, well, cannot stop screwing up...( I am on stage 1 right?) I am doing a little better now. I don't know if this is die off or what, probably is also hormonal. I think I am getting enough fat, I didn't even skim my soup, as I figured I really needed the fat with bf'ing. I just know that somethings got to change. I haven't got any yogurt yet, or made any, our stupid printer isn't working so it is hard to bring these things to the kitchen, plus I guess I need to order the starter.....

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#96 of 313 Old 10-10-2005, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessviola
sorry i don't have much time to type right now (nak). we did the immuno bloodprint and some other IgE and IgG tests with the ND. i'll have to go check which is which.

would those separators do a good enough job? maybe i'm paranoid but i can't imagine anything *really* getting all the whites away from the yolk. or maybe it doesn't have to be *that* exact?

i'm off sheep cheese for now. can i do goat cheese everyday (oooh that would be nice!!! )?

i get protein from almond butter, walnuts, black beans, pinto beans, goat cheese, lima beans, seaweed. i need to keep thinking though because i'm having trouble concentrating right now
Yeah, I can relate to The Mommy Brain Fog. Also The Lack of Sleep Fog *and* The Digestive Disorder Fog too! And I've had ALL three at one point, it's a wonder I could even function :LOL

I don't know re: separators. Goat milk protein is much smaller and more easily digested than cow's so that is probably why it's not as allergenic. I really don't know about every day... all of this is such an inexact science. It depends on how your body handles it and whether it gets to your babe and how they handle it.

Forgot though, SCD doesn't like goat cheese b/c it's not aged for 30 days, which means it still has lactose in it. But goat's milk yogurt would be fantastic for healing and repopulating the gut. You can also drip it to make a sort of goat cheese.
#97 of 313 Old 10-10-2005, 09:33 PM

oh, it is good to read that the Welch's is ok, I was worried about that. I felt bad about the grape juice as well, but there is no alternatives in my area..

#98 of 313 Old 10-10-2005, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanelee
Question of EFA's: Do you worry about high mercury in the efa's? Is there a resource to check to make sure that there isn't any in them? That's what has held me back from taking any.

Another question: For an 8 month old that is pretty much just starting some solids, what would you all recommend for probiotics? Just lactob.? Would you use the same for a 3 year old that still nurses and eats solids too? I have a powder by Nature's Way that I started using, but it's got bifidus bacteria in it too...and I read a post somewhere (might be this thread) that Bifidus can over power the other beneficials and inadvertantly help the bad bacteria.

Hmmm...I think that's all the questions I have for now...
I think it was Mercola's site that explained that mercury is water soluble, not fat soluble, so the oil of fish would not tend to concentrate it to begin with. And then Carlson's and Nordic Naturals have been rigorously tested for not only mercury but other metals and PCBs and they've been clean.

The 8 month old and the 3 year old can be on acidophilus. I made that post in the Power of Probiotics thread based on our experience and also info from SCD: http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.i...kb/bifidus.htm

I would concentrate on your supplementation too, probiotics do come thru breastmilk. What about homemade yogurt?
#99 of 313 Old 10-10-2005, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessviola
ok, he had IgE reactions to:
Egg White
Milk
Wheat
Barley
Peanut
Soybean

he had IgG reactions to:
Corn
Egg Whilte
Casein/Cow Milk
Soybean
Wheat

but on the immuno bloodprint, (IgG 115 foods)
barley, corn, egg, cow's milk, and soybeans were on the non-reactive list
Now IgE are the serious ones right?

This stuff makes my head spin
#100 of 313 Old 10-10-2005, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
my update;
not only am I starving, but I am going insane and infertile.....I have been a mean yelling mommy and just want to cry. I have no idea what the hell I am supposed to be eating and who knows when the damn book will come in... I would just give up, but I don't know what I would eat at all. So, since I have not a clue I have ate somethings off of the legal list; almond butter, honey, and some cooked pears. Oh, and last night I had a sample of some farmer's cheese, as I had read that DCCC is also called farmer's cheese, well, it was the wrong kind, so I had dairy after 3 weeks of none, so have to start that all over again and lil' man's cheeks are redder today, although his bm wasn't too bad this morning although he was a fireball today, would not nap until 2:30, kept me awake all last night nursing because we were gone yesterday and he won't hardly eat when we are out.

of course he may be constantly nursing because I have half-way gotten my period, although I didn't ovulate this month, my temps have tanked and my mucus was constant the entire month, so no sex...

I am going to have to change something because I am starving, as of this am I was down 10 lbs from 1 mo ago, when I started the whole elimination diet, no dairy etc diet. That is surely why my cycles have totally whacked out again, not to mention I have been sooooo stressed about all of this.

rambling on, don't know why,
Definately sounds like die off to me!!!

I don't want to jinx us, but epsom salts baths are really working for DS. Also activated charcoal is recommended:
http://www.pecanbread.com/badreaction.html

I had supply problems during AF and also huge problems when I started our Elim. Diet as well. Big issue since DS was only 8 mos. old.

Are you eating enough fats?
#101 of 313 Old 10-10-2005, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

This is the legal version of Farmer's Cheese:
http://www.friendshipdairies.com/pro...rmerhoop.shtml
#102 of 313 Old 10-10-2005, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
thanks a million, that really helps! looks like I jumped the gun abit on the almond butter, well, cannot stop screwing up...( I am on stage 1 right?) I am doing a little better now. I don't know if this is die off or what, probably is also hormonal. I think I am getting enough fat, I didn't even skim my soup, as I figured I really needed the fat with bf'ing. I just know that somethings got to change. I haven't got any yogurt yet, or made any, our stupid printer isn't working so it is hard to bring these things to the kitchen, plus I guess I need to order the starter.....
Not really, the Pecanbread stages are what was determined to be most easily handled by ASD kids, who have really bad guts.

Nut butters and nut milks are the first stage of adding nuts since they are the easiest to digest b/c they are ground up.

Yes, you need a lot of fat while bf'ing. This is the Weston Price rec's for bf'ing mamas:
http://www.westonaprice.org/children...ormothers.html
#103 of 313 Old 10-10-2005, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
oh, it is good to read that the Welch's is ok, I was worried about that. I felt bad about the grape juice as well, but there is no alternatives in my area..
Sorry. It sucks to be too well informed sometimes... don'tcha just wanna LIVE
#104 of 313 Old 10-10-2005, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I haven't got any yogurt yet, or made any, our stupid printer isn't working so it is hard to bring these things to the kitchen, plus I guess I need to order the starter.....
Oh and I think you can just use Dannon yogurt for starter, in any grocery store... or any other yogurt... as long as it only has these strains: acidophilus, bulgaricus, thermophilus.

Others I know are okay to use as starters:
Total from Greece
Butterworks organic
#105 of 313 Old 10-10-2005, 10:45 PM

Jane - I wish I had a web link for the neuro tests that you could look at. If you pm me your address I'd be glad to make copies of our before and after tests and send them to you along with the suggested supplements. I just ordered the hair test for Sierra from directlabs. I'm going to wait for mine until all the bloody amalgams : are out. Four out three to go. Glad to hear the salt baths are helping. What results are you seeing? I only noticed the speech improvement with Bear since she was already so calm to begin with.

Actually, if you're only going to : with a few things, grape products, peanuts, and strawberries are always most important. These foods tend to mold easily and are treated with strong fungicides when grown conventionally.

Crunchmama - I noticed that you're in MO. Are you near St. Louis? There is a Trader Joe's grocery store in SL and they have lots of organics at cheap prices.

#106 of 313 Old 10-10-2005, 10:46 PM

thanks for all the info Jane, I am sorry, I probably sound like a total nutcase, kind of feel that way.... although it is hard to admit...

re fats: thanks for the list, it seems that a lot of the rec. I cannot have right now... but I am eating lots of egg yolks(5 today), 1 1/2 T CLO daily, my soup was so gelled together from all the fat today that it was like pudding-, at least 1 serving fish per day.

re yogurt: that is very good to know, I will hopefully have dh fix the printer tomorrow so I can get started on the yogurt, he already has a list for the am(he works nights) now that I know some things I can have

re nuts: oh, that is good news, at least I didn't screw that up, I love almond butter and that is a good way to get extra calories and fat into my diet

re cheese; thanks for the pic, I will keep my eyes peeled, but don't think we have that around here

re die off: I hope you are right. Lil' man and I just took an epsom salt bath(for hemmorhoids ) I will try to do them in the am to maybe help. So, your lil' guy is going through die-off as well? Hugs to you as well!

Yes, it does suck to be well-informed, especially in the middle of nowhere. Ignorance really is bliss!

I am so psyched right now dh is supposed to pick me up some salt-cured ham, I sure hope he can find some without sugar, that will make a great breakfast! I have some apples baking right now drizzled with honey and applejuice, a little treat will be nice.

well, tomorrow is another day< I am optimistic it will be better,cannot be much worse...

#107 of 313 Old 10-10-2005, 10:50 PM

moneca, I am 2.5 hrs south of St. Louis, I like to hit Trader Joes and Whole Foods when we go up there, but it has been a couple of months. We usually visit pretty often, but money is tight right now, hopefully soon though. ARe you from St. Louis? Or just like to visit as well! Dh and I really enjoy it up there, it is going to kill me to not be able to eat some fabulous Indian food our next trip...

#108 of 313 Old 10-11-2005, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Jane-I think it was Mercola's site that explained that mercury is water soluble, not fat soluble, so the oil of fish would not tend to concentrate it to begin with. And then Carlson's and Nordic Naturals have been rigorously tested for not only mercury but other metals and PCBs and they've been clean.
I'm also on the probiotics thread...and I probably read your post, but couldn't find it again as that thread is so long! :LOL Thanks for the info. I'm going to run by our health food store and see if I can find either of the efa brands you mentioned above.
I know they carry the Nature's Way line. They say that they are mercury free-would you all trust that?

Thanks again!

Jennifer, Wifey to Stevenwinky.gif, Mommy to Gwhistling.gif and Hfairy.gif. TTC for 5 years.
Praying for God to bless us again!

#109 of 313 Old 10-11-2005, 05:04 PM

Oh my has this thread grown! Welcome everyone (and hello Jessica!) We are still going strong, though I attempted avacado with dd and it didn't go so well. We have a massive rash and a backslide in the eating. I should have waited because I have a significant latex sensitivity, but I wanted avacados back so badly. This means that bananas won't be coming back any time soon.

I found a really yummy raw goat cheddar cheese that is aged over 60 days that the kids love, so we are doing some of that. Though I am really close to making that disappear from our lives.

Fuhrman has a TON of scientific data that backs him up, I don't know where to find him online since I'm not here much myself. I am planning on talking to him soon to get a clearer picture, and if I think about it I'll try to post references out of the books. His objection isn't so much the pasteurization and homoginization as it is that cows milk is designed for a calf which is meant to grow to it's full size in a year. So, when you give cow's (or goat's) milk to human's it causes them to grow too quickly, mature too fast and leaves them susceptible to many different cancers. This is all without the added hazards of extra growth hormones. There is also the problem (which really isn't one of his bigger ones) of toxins in the fat of the milk. Even organic dairy is going to have high levels of things like dioxin. On his top ten list of most dangerous foods to consume cheese and dairy are both close to the top. He says if you are going to do any dairy it should absolutely fat free though it really shouldn't be kept in the house at all. So, I'm still pondering. I'll let you all know (fwiw) what he says when I speak to him.

Good luck everyone, and keep up the good work!
#110 of 313 Old 10-11-2005, 07:38 PM

elisabeth, that is interesting re: dairy from Fuhrman. I can understand the logic that it is meant to be for baby cows. However, it seems that there has/is cultures that consume dairy with virtually very low cancer raters. However, I am just starting out on this journey. That is also interesting about the avocado/banana latex I had never heard that, but there is a lot I haven't heard so I am not surprised. We tried some banana today(which I had froze it was very brown when I did) it seemed to bother my tummy though.

Jennifer- I wouldn't trust anything but the Carlson's or the Nordic Naturals, the Nordic Naturals (from what I understand is the very best) I know the manufacturing process is very important to keep the oils beneficial. So, that is my vote unless someone else has more info.

our update:
today was 200x better. I went to bed early last night and although he nursed a lot, it was much better. He napped much better today as well(I napped with him this morning as well- I had to do some catch up). I was also happy to get to eat some more food, yipee!

Well I had sent dh to get me some ham, he brought home canned ham. He insists that it is just ham and that I can eat it, I told him canned meats were not allowed, besides the fact that it has nitrites in it, which I have always heard are bad- canned meat just skeeves me out anyway.

Lil' man and I went to try and find some ham without sugar today and it ended up being this huge ordeal, needless to say we didn't find any, maybe better luck around Thanksgiving. However, we are going to check a local meat shop on Friday.

I bought some Dannon yogurt and Organic Cows Milk to make yogurt, but am going to wait until tomorrow, because often times things get screwed up when I am trying to cook with lil' man. So, perhaps Friday morning I will have some yogurt.

On the Yogurt; I have this little light that clamps, I am guessing I just need to plug it up and run it into the stove? Dh thought maybe he could build me something, but I think that will work.

Also, does anyone have thoughts on whether or not the yogurt will be beneficial to dh, even though he is no where near to following the diet. I am thinking it won't hurt and he has HUGE yeast issues, so maybe I can at least get him to take that, he took acidophilus before, but it didn't help his 6 yr old rash.

lil' man's poop has been a very deep dark green, don't know if that is good or bad, he is pooping less often, but more at a time, it seems that they are still liquid, but not watery like they were and I have only noticed a little bit of mucus, mostly yesterday (after the cheese incident on Sunday)

and a funny aside
(as if I don't write enough) I have a friend who is a HUGE sugar addict; Mt. Dew several times a day cannot get enough cheese, etc. Well, she is trying to cut back on the Dew and last week she also ran out of cheese, although she had other dairy products. She was telling me how horrible she felt, she had to go buy some Dew and cheese and now she feels better. She says she is trying to cut back, but was making crab rangoon as we were talking. To me this should be a huge sign that this is a big issue, she said she had cheese Sat after not having it for a few days and had diarrhea immediately, she said the same thing happened in high school anytime she had cheese. She was bemoaning to me how horrible it was to keep looking in the fridge and nothing looking good because she didn't have cheese! HELLO! I have been off ALL dairy for about a month and have now given up pretty much all carbs, no I have no idea how this feels..... Anywho, she is in such denial. Her dh has Celiac's too, but eats whatever anyway...ugh

Oh and good news;
went to the library and found Sugar Busters- which seems to have some really good recipes and Fats that Heal, Fats that Kill. There are suppsed to be trying to find me Nourishing Traditions and Nutrition and Physical Degeneration for inter-library loan! I am so excited, now hopefully my BTVC book will come in soon, I have so many questions and I hate harrasing you guys all the time.

I am hoping to read some updates from everyone, hope all are doing well!

#111 of 313 Old 10-11-2005, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneca
Jane - I wish I had a web link for the neuro tests that you could look at. If you pm me your address I'd be glad to make copies of our before and after tests and send them to you along with the suggested supplements. I just ordered the hair test for Sierra from directlabs. I'm going to wait for mine until all the bloody amalgams : are out. Four out three to go. Glad to hear the salt baths are helping. What results are you seeing? I only noticed the speech improvement with Bear since she was already so calm to begin with.
We are noticing more calm nighttime and naptime behavior on bath nights (we only do baths every other day). I had been doing the magnesium cream as Karen DeFelice suggested and noticed squat from it.

I can't figure out the magic solution of what is making this kid sleep through the night when he does do it though. It's crazy, it follow no pattern whatsoever. So I'm just going to conclude we have to soldier on.

I was just re-reading BTVC and it mentions how the toxins from bad bacteria interfere with neurotransmitters!
#112 of 313 Old 10-11-2005, 11:01 PM

Hi Jane, have you tried any massage with your little one? I have used grapeseed oil with Micah and it is sort of like having a bath for us. She only gets a bath once every two weeks so we can't really make bathtime a routine thing.
#113 of 313 Old 10-11-2005, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

I'm thinking of putting DS back on the Intro Diet again. Just need to decide about dairy first.

Started him on our organic raw high vitamin butter for a week, didn't notice any major changes. He had some raw cheese, and slept through the night 2 nights in a row so it didn't seem to have an effect. I'll just smack myself if the kid is not allergic to dairy after all, I'm such a dope.

However, he is getting Peptizyde enzymes with them so I know that could make a major difference. We are finally on all 3 Houston enzymes at every meal. But with a snack I choose 1 or 2 depending on what it is... I think I'm supposed to be doing all 3 too? Waiting for the Happy Child Syndrome. Any day now. Yup. Waaaaiting.

Poor thing, I complain about him too much here. He is so loving and sweet most of the time really, it's just nap/bedtime/middle of night that he turns into Monster Child. Tonight in the grocery store he smiled and waved to everyone as usual. He just strikes up conversations... He noticed a half of a tortilla chip in the milk case and said, "Oh no, somebody lost their chip!" (and the kid has had about 2 chips in his entire life too). Then he goes to the nearest lady, "Hey, that your chip?" :LOL

He seems to go through die off constantly. His poops will be great for a few days and then he'll get a massive mushy one without changing his diet. I've been careful for the past 2 months since we started SCD and I cannot figure it out for the life of me. I *think* there are foods such as carrots which is now reacting to (when he didn't before) but maybe it's not specific foods but a general change in his flora that is happening.

It just makes it so much harder to figure out what to give him. He's on a very very limited diet right now.

Because he used to tolerate so much more. I mean the kid had 2-3 cups of rice milk a day, rice or rice pasta, rice cakes, raw fruit every day etc. and had solid brown poops, most of the time. What's changed? Makes me crazy!!!

But maybe all those disaccharides led us to worse gut trouble now.

The other thing I was thinking is that the fact that he was still BF then has changed. So either my milk was protecting him, or since I have removed the source of his metals, me , he is now going through detox and dumping them out into his gut, and therefore making his digestion worse.

We are onto the goat yogurt this week, gotta do it, wish me luck.
#114 of 313 Old 10-11-2005, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisabeth
Fuhrman has a TON of scientific data that backs him up, I don't know where to find him online since I'm not here much myself. I am planning on talking to him soon to get a clearer picture, and if I think about it I'll try to post references out of the books. His objection isn't so much the pasteurization and homoginization as it is that cows milk is designed for a calf which is meant to grow to it's full size in a year. So, when you give cow's (or goat's) milk to human's it causes them to grow too quickly, mature too fast and leaves them susceptible to many different cancers. This is all without the added hazards of extra growth hormones. There is also the problem (which really isn't one of his bigger ones) of toxins in the fat of the milk. Even organic dairy is going to have high levels of things like dioxin. On his top ten list of most dangerous foods to consume cheese and dairy are both close to the top. He says if you are going to do any dairy it should absolutely fat free though it really shouldn't be kept in the house at all. So, I'm still pondering. I'll let you all know (fwiw) what he says when I speak to him.
Sigh.

You had to post this just when I'm starting DS on dairy didn't you...

#115 of 313 Old 10-11-2005, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbandj
Hi Jane, have you tried any massage with your little one? I have used grapeseed oil with Micah and it is sort of like having a bath for us. She only gets a bath once every two weeks so we can't really make bathtime a routine thing.
This was a major fantasy of mine when I was pregnant... I read about it, got several organic oils... and then out came Mr. Wiggly. He just won't stay still to enjoy it, when he was little or now!
#116 of 313 Old 10-11-2005, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanelee
I know they carry the Nature's Way line. They say that they are mercury free-would you all trust that?
Nature's Way cod liver oil capsules?

Two ND's I've spoken with don't trust Nature's Way as a good brand for most things, lots of fillers in their herbs for example. So I tend to stay away from them. BUT Nature's Way Reuteri is a great probiotic so who knows.
#117 of 313 Old 10-11-2005, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Also, does anyone have thoughts on whether or not the yogurt will be beneficial to dh, even though he is no where near to following the diet. I am thinking it won't hurt and he has HUGE yeast issues, so maybe I can at least get him to take that, he took acidophilus before, but it didn't help his 6 yr old rash.

lil' man's poop has been a very deep dark green, don't know if that is good or bad, he is pooping less often, but more at a time, it seems that they are still liquid, but not watery like they were and I have only noticed a little bit of mucus, mostly yesterday (after the cheese incident on Sunday)

and a funny aside
(as if I don't write enough) I have a friend who is a HUGE sugar addict; Mt. Dew several times a day cannot get enough cheese, etc.

Oh and good news;
went to the library and found Sugar Busters- which seems to have some really good recipes and Fats that Heal, Fats that Kill. There are suppsed to be trying to find me Nourishing Traditions and Nutrition and Physical Degeneration for inter-library loan! I am so excited, now hopefully my BTVC book will come in soon, I have so many questions and I hate harrasing you guys all the time.

I am hoping to read some updates from everyone, hope all are doing well!
DEFINATELY re: yogurt and your DH. Like I just posted above, 1 teaspoon of 24 hr. yogurt contains 5x more probiotics than a capsule. Homemade Yogurt is The Key to Healing.

Have you seen this poop link?
http://www.enzymestuff.com/rtstools.htm

Yeah, once you go through such a tremendous diet change, other people's bad habits will look even that much more glaring to you! And just wait til you read NT and Weston Price's book... I'm telling you, your life will change forever. That's one perspective I'm so grateful to my little man for teaching me, the incredible importance of the food we eat. It literally determines health or sickness. Not many people can make that connection.

And I'll be psyched to have another person to discuss "Nutrition and Physical Degeneration" with!
#118 of 313 Old 10-11-2005, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
On the Yogurt; I have this little light that clamps, I am guessing I just need to plug it up and run it into the stove? Dh thought maybe he could build me something, but I think that will work.
BTVC recommends changing the lightbulb in your stove to a 40 or 60 watt bulb, then leaving it on to keep the oven warm enough for the yogurt to stay between 100-110F. Prop the door open with a wooden spoon or something if you need to cool it down a bit.

I've also read a good post on Pecanbread Yahoo list re: making in crock pot set to low. But buffering the bottom with oven mitts and leaving the cover off b/c "low" is usually much much higher than 110 degrees.

I thought I heard about a "yogurt box" that someone's DH made... forget where.

When I was testing my stove method I posted about before... which by the way I have to fiddle with and change the settings since it's about 10 degrees colder in my house now... it was helpful to do test runs with just water in the jars I planned to use. I took the temperature every hour or so at first, to make sure it was keeping steady.
#119 of 313 Old 10-12-2005, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisabeth
Fuhrman has a TON of scientific data that backs him up, I don't know where to find him online since I'm not here much myself. I am planning on talking to him soon to get a clearer picture, and if I think about it I'll try to post references out of the books. His objection isn't so much the pasteurization and homoginization as it is that cows milk is designed for a calf which is meant to grow to it's full size in a year. So, when you give cow's (or goat's) milk to human's it causes them to grow too quickly, mature too fast and leaves them susceptible to many different cancers. This is all without the added hazards of extra growth hormones. There is also the problem (which really isn't one of his bigger ones) of toxins in the fat of the milk. Even organic dairy is going to have high levels of things like dioxin. On his top ten list of most dangerous foods to consume cheese and dairy are both close to the top. He says if you are going to do any dairy it should absolutely fat free though it really shouldn't be kept in the house at all.
I have heard the argument before about cow's milk being made to grow a baby cow, but think about the fact that a seed is made to grow a baby plant, an egg is made to grow a baby chick, and frankly, any animal flesh is made to power that particular animal -- isn't it all alien matter that we should be able to break down (with strong guts) to use for what we need it for? I guess I feel like dairy is so much nicer tasting and easier to eat than so much other foods out there, I don't think I could giveit up. As far as fat free, well, I think that's the opposite of Mercola's take on it, isn't it?

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#120 of 313 Old 10-12-2005, 02:24 AM

Jane, where do you get high vitamin butter, and how do you know it's high in vitamins? Is that a local thing that only someone in your region would be able to do?

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page