Healing the Gut Tribe: October - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 313 Old 10-12-2005, 01:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Jane, Thanks for the poop link! That was helpful, I had tried to tell the ND that I thought his stringy poops a few weeks ago was yeast related and she blew it off, HA I was right. Still don't know how to intrepret the current poop. this am it was that pretty yellow again...

You know I am trying to see the positive in this as well. Finally this weekend it clicked for me that DUH the purpose of eating is to sustain our bodies, that is pretty important. I guess I always knew this, but we really do not make that connection often enough. I am excited to read Price's book, althouhg I am wondering what other food I love will I no longer be able to eat!!

I hated to read about your lil' guy! I do hope you guys get things figured out. I was wondering is there anyway you guys could do baths everyday, or would that bother the eczema too much? We do soaks once a day, really I was just doing them for my hemmorhoids, but he won't let me bathe alone. I don't lather him up but every few days or so, or if he has dirt on him. Just thought if it is making things better why not? Although, I am sure you have thought of that.... Your little guy does sound adorable! I can sure understand being frustrated, which really just makes me mad at myself. You have to take it easy on yourself as well!

Well, my oven has 20w max posted on the bulb, so I put my light in there with the thermometer, and am seeing how it is doing. It was a shy past 110 last time I checked, so a 45 w might be best for the long run. I have told dh that he has to eat some yogurt!

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#122 of 313 Old 10-12-2005, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookietooth
Jane, where do you get high vitamin butter, and how do you know it's high in vitamins? Is that a local thing that only someone in your region would be able to do?
I belong to a raw dairy co-op. We share drives to several organic dairies in Western MA and southern NH and have several distribution points throughout the eastern part of the state. It's pasture based, so butter from cows eating fresh growing grass in the spring and fall is high in vitamins. You can see it b/c the butter is so yellow it's practically orange. I get several lbs. at a time and freeze it.

Also you can order here, it's shipped frozen:
http://www.organicpastures.com/

Or butter oil here: http://www.radiantlifecatalog.com/pr.../ct/1/pid/1050

Raw milk sources near you here:
http://www.realmilk.org
http://www.eatwild.com/products/index.html
#123 of 313 Old 10-12-2005, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookietooth
As far as fat free, well, I think that's the opposite of Mercola's take on it, isn't it?
Yep.
http://www.mercola.com/2001/mar/31/butter.htm

This makes me crazy, I wish all the nutritional "experts" could agree for goodness sakes.
#124 of 313 Old 10-12-2005, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama
Jane, Thanks for the poop link! That was helpful, I had tried to tell the ND that I thought his stringy poops a few weeks ago was yeast related and she blew it off, HA I was right. Still don't know how to intrepret the current poop. this am it was that pretty yellow again...

You know I am trying to see the positive in this as well. Finally this weekend it clicked for me that DUH the purpose of eating is to sustain our bodies, that is pretty important. I guess I always knew this, but we really do not make that connection often enough. I am excited to read Price's book, althouhg I am wondering what other food I love will I no longer be able to eat!!

I hated to read about your lil' guy! I do hope you guys get things figured out. I was wondering is there anyway you guys could do baths everyday, or would that bother the eczema too much? ... I can sure understand being frustrated, which really just makes me mad at myself. You have to take it easy on yourself as well!

Well, my oven has 20w max posted on the bulb, so I put my light in there with the thermometer, and am seeing how it is doing. It was a shy past 110 last time I checked, so a 45 w might be best for the long run. I have told dh that he has to eat some yogurt!
Re: poop
That's what we see too, a good one, a bad one... and it's hard to tie specifically to foods. I think yellow and soft in a BF babe is what you want right?

Re: foods you like
Well that's what's good about NT is that you can find yummy new foods that are way better for you!

Re: my guy

Thank you for the sympathy
I was thinking that same thing... bathing everyday. I'm going to investigate die off a little more. Baths don't seem to bother his skin anymore. His skin is pretty good now, only the tops of his ankles that are rough.

Re: taking it easy on myself
Thank you again. You are absolutely right and I think I've been pretty gentle with myself considering. It's just been such a long road, over 2 years now struggling with all of these issues and both DH and I are just so, so tired. Then when I found out that the source of all this was me, it was, and still is, pretty hard to deal with.

Also it's hard to know what the best step is. I don't want to do anything to pull metals out until his gut is better. Which might not get better until the metals are out. But then again, it could all be just a gut problem that is causing him to no be able to detox properly in the first place, so once the gut's fixed, he could just detox on his own without any extraordinary intervention except excellent nutrition. (Hey, you're not the only one that rambles here!) :LOL

So therefore I'm plunging into the yogurt this week and going to try to do everything to help die off. (, I forgot our batch was done 1.5 hrs ago, oh well, no biggie... )

Possibly more baths and also activated charcoal before bed.
#125 of 313 Old 10-13-2005, 12:43 PM

good luck to you Jane, I hope you guys get things figured out! It is so very frustrating, I am sure everyone thinks I am crazy. I keep thinking that I should just keep my mouth shut to everyone as far as what we are doing, as it changes so much, even I am barely keeping up.

It is hard also because as moms we blame ourself for everything. Well, I ate dairy while I was preggo. I wasn't aggressive enough when I thought there was a problem before. But, we do the best we can with what we have at the time.

This just makes me even madder at the moms, like pretty well everyone I know that just ff and give there baby whatever crappy food they are eating, because they ate whatever and are just "fine." Someitmes I think really spitfully and hope that they see the ramifications of this, I know that is terrible. However, it doesn't matter though if the ff baby has a zillion ear infections or what have you it will always be blamed on something else.

Then it seems that it shows everyone else that bf'ing really doesn't matter because of Luke's "issues." Of course imo a whole lot of people just ignore things, like it doesn't matter.

So, another one of my rambles.... just to say we are all just bumbling along trying to figure things out. You know at least we are aware and are trying, and damn we are trying hard.

I am very emotional, I think perhaps a "real" period is coming. Perhaps, that partially explains my mood!

our update:
yesterday and today thus far poops looking good(that pretty yellow color with a nice smell)! Finally, yesterday I was able to feed myself well all day, yipee~~ I am figuring this out kind of.... I think I will buy some ground turkey and make some sausage for breakfast, as I am craving some "normal type food. My weight is back up +5 lbs, so I am only down 5 total- so at 118 and I am 5 3.5, so not too bad- I really don't need to lose anymore though.

we have our yogurt in the oven, it took a bit longer than I thought to prepare, but was pretty easy! I hope it turns out, I have a 50 wt bulb, maintaining a temp of about 108, I tested it all night and it seems to be holding steady. I just made 1 qt in case I screw it up.

we slept pretty well last night, we all went to bed at 8:30! So, I am feeling much more rested!

still waiting on the book to come in....

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#126 of 313 Old 10-13-2005, 11:59 PM

Hey tribe. I am anxiously waiting for BTVC from the library and really wish it would come soon.

Me and 10 mo old dd are battling thrush yet again. I can't stand this!! makes me just want to run to the doctors and ask for the drugs. But i am resisting and trying the GV and GSE and vinegar and acidophilos and all that.

But my question is this. So apparentely I have yeast issues. Okay major issues. I recall before I got pregnant a lot of vaginal bacterial infections, but haven't had one since.(knock on wood). And I am so addicted to sugar still (but now is no where compared to before I was preggo with the years on Mt. Dew and candy). Well lately the sugar attacks have been raging. I am constantly hungry. And what do I find myself eating. Yup chips and candy bars and craving pop but none in the house, and eating the heck out of my icecream (at least it's homemade right?). I just don't understand why I am having all these issues lately.

Today i wanted to lock myself in a room and hide from the kids (my dd and my cousins dd). I was a horrible meanie all day long. Even to the cats.

I really don't want to live this way anymore. But the sugar is everywhere.

So, how do I correct this yeast issue. Does SCD fix that?
#127 of 313 Old 10-14-2005, 08:30 AM

Yes, it is! You will be giving up the "white death". The yeast are thriving on it, so you crave it, creating the "vicious cycle." I am going through it now. I have been the worst mommy in the world, I have been a tyrant. It is supposed to be getting better, and it is, but it is taking time. I haven't received my book yet, so am waiting here as well...

#128 of 313 Old 10-14-2005, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticat
Hey tribe. I am anxiously waiting for BTVC from the library and really wish it would come soon.

Me and 10 mo old dd are battling thrush yet again. I can't stand this!! makes me just want to run to the doctors and ask for the drugs. But i am resisting and trying the GV and GSE and vinegar and acidophilos and all that.

But my question is this. So apparentely I have yeast issues. Okay major issues. I recall before I got pregnant a lot of vaginal bacterial infections, but haven't had one since.(knock on wood). And I am so addicted to sugar still (but now is no where compared to before I was preggo with the years on Mt. Dew and candy). Well lately the sugar attacks have been raging. I am constantly hungry. And what do I find myself eating. Yup chips and candy bars and craving pop but none in the house, and eating the heck out of my icecream (at least it's homemade right?). I just don't understand why I am having all these issues lately.

Today i wanted to lock myself in a room and hide from the kids (my dd and my cousins dd). I was a horrible meanie all day long. Even to the cats.

I really don't want to live this way anymore. But the sugar is everywhere.

So, how do I correct this yeast issue. Does SCD fix that?
BTDT!!! I had a lot of thrush issues too.

Yes, just try the SCD and see if it will work for you. It is based on sound science and I can tell you from my experience it really does work. I couldn't believe that eating honey really doesn't give me digestive distress. And fruits are okay too. It was the grains, potatoes, rice, corn and sugar that was doing me in and now that I've found the SCD explanation it makes perfect sense.

Maybe you want to try the Intro Diet for a few days while you are waiting?
There's enough info. online to cobble together SCD legal food. But the book is great for really convincing you that the science is sound. And the reasoning behind it is essential to enable you to commit to doing it.
http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.i...ntro_diet2.htm

The cheesecake is plenty sweet to satisfy cravings. Yes it takes more work cooking everything, but you CAN have sweet treats on this diet without feeding the gut bugs (cake, cookies, pancakes, etc) especially once you do the Intro Diet and start changing the flora with the yogurt. www.scdrecipe.com

The homemade yogurt is a billion times more powerful than any probiotic capsule you can buy in a store.

Here is the explanation of the diet and how it works to change your intestinal flora:
http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.i..._the_diet2.htm
http://www.pecanbread.com/scdscience.html
#129 of 313 Old 10-14-2005, 08:22 PM

I have kind of a weird question. I have an existing naturopath and also a homeopath that I've been seeing -- the homeopath actually all long distance for the past couple of years. The thing is, I haven't mentioned the SCD diet to either of them, yet, even though we've been on it for almost two weeks now and I just spoke to both of them this week. It's partly because I am afraid I couldn't defend it to them, and partially because I'm a little embarassed to bring up anything myself like a diet, because I don't want to challenge their authority. Have any of you run into this? I feel so silly for keep in a secret from them. It's like I'm afraid I would either have to give them up or the diet. Can you tell I have issues with confrontation?

Also, the homeopath says that ds's major tooth decay (he lost his top front four teeth at two, and already has another cavity at 2 1/2) is caused by malnutrition and that vitamins would overload his kidneys due to his young age, and that I should see a nutritionist. I can just see a nutritionist taking a look at his SCD diet and saying "he's not eating grains -- what a crime!" and reporting me to CPS or something. After all, he doesn't have Crohn's or colitis, or eczema, just sensory integration issues and food allergies.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#130 of 313 Old 10-15-2005, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
Genevieve, let us know if you have any questions
Thank you. I'm absorbing every bit of info from you gals that I possibly can. It is nice (but I guess not really) to read posts from other mamas that I can so relate to. There has been something off digestive-wise with my son since the day he was born (he is now four). This is not something the doctors have told me- this is something I know. He went through a battery of tests (allergy, upper gi, lower gi) that did not turn up anything (well allergies were that he is allergic to egg, dairy, peanut, corn and possibly wheat). So now he is four and he still has diarrhea. I cannot find the help I need here locally and I don't know where to look. He is going to a chiro, and I am giving him probiotics, enymes and I tried to do a liver cleansing. I feel helpless and so sorry for my son. I am going to keep reading and learning more from all of you!
#131 of 313 Old 10-15-2005, 10:50 AM

pookietooth, I am nervous as well to bring up SCD, to anyone. We had a first visit to the ND a week or so ago and she pretty much recommended to stay away from all carbs and all sugar, I brought up SCD and she said it wouldn't be good because you need to stay away from all carbs, so I don't think she knew about it. So, I am debating even going back to her, as I can order my own supplements just fine. However, for me it was just nice to have an actual dr. confirm my suspiciousions and not blow me off. So, I have no advice on what to do, as I am not sure myself. I am not sure I would bother for the dietician, she is saying he has problems with malnutrition, and he cannot handle vitamins, so what's wrong with getting stuff the old fashioned way through food? I guess that's what they want you to see the dietician for? Yeah, there is no way I would bring this up to a regular dietician. I think I woudl just keep studying on nutrition myself, try to get him the nutrients he needs etc. I would think the issue with not getting the nutrients he needs is probably due to malapsorption from leaky gut? That's probably already the answer you have came up with, so it won't matter what they suggest until you fix the gut.

genevieve, I am right there with you it is so hard, watching them and not knowing what to do. My son's digestion is off as well, I can tell you exactly what he eats by looking at his diaper! However, I know from dh and my medical history; extensive antibiotic use, bc for me, both formula fed- that our guts are not great and lil' man undoubtedly inherited that. So, we are going down this path hoping that we figure things out along the way!

our update;
well, my yogurt was done last night! I had to force myself to stop eating it, it was so yummy! I added a little bit of honey, but it hardly needed it! I am looking into the cheesecake recipe, now I wish I would have made more! Oh, and lil' man woke up in the best mood ever, I am crossing my fingers it was the yogurt! Dh said he would try it if I add some strawberries and chocolate- I know that is half-way defeating the purpose, but it is a start!

I had another crappy day, was sooooo tired and grumpy. I was reading in my book, Fats that Kill, Fats that Heal about that being symptoms of coming off the allergenic or troublesome foods, I didn't know about the being tired. I am have been so tired all week even though I am going to bed early. Hoping I move through this part soon...

#132 of 313 Old 10-15-2005, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Jennifer,

I totally understand... my relationship with my ND has ended b/c I just didn't feel like she took our case seriously enough. Or knew enough to help us. Maybe the things she normally tries helps others, but we seem to be a special case.

Check out this post from the Sept thread with links to email an ND information about SCD if you want.
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...0&postcount=13

I think reading the scientific reasoning behind the diet will appeal to them more. It is hard to explain. I mean I've read the book about 80 times and still struggle with putting it into a cohesive, short description for others!
#133 of 313 Old 10-15-2005, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

The Healing Power of Bone Broths

I'd like to challenge everyone reading to make some homemade stock this week: fish, chicken, lamb or beef.

Not only does it contain much needed minerals (calcium, magnesium, potassium) in easily absorbed electrolyte form, but also the secret ingredient so good for healing the gut: gelatin.

Quoting from "Nourishing Traditions":

Quote:
Hydrophilic colloids attract digestive juices for rapid and effective digestion....The same property by which gelatin attracts water to form desserts, like Jello, allows it to attract digestive juices to the surface of cooked food particles.

The public is generally unaware of the large amount of research on the beneficial effects of gelatin taken with food. Gelatin acts first and foremost as an aid to digestion and has been used successfully in the treatment of many intestinal disorders, including hyperacidity, colitis and Crohn's disease... anemia...diabetes, muscular dystrophy and even cancer.

Other important ingredients that go into broth are the components of cartilage, (Jane note: anyone hear of the arthritis cure of taking glucosimine and chondroitin supplements? they are abundant in cartilage.) which recently have been used with remarkable results in the treatment of cancer and bone disorders, and of collagen, used to treat rheumatoid arthritis and other ailments.

Jewish penicillin... modern research has confirmed that broth helps prevent and mitigate infectious diseases.

The test of whether your stock contains liberal amounts of gelatin is carried out by chilling the broth. It should thicken even to the point of jelling completely. If your broth is still runny, you may add a little powdered gelatin to thicken it. Bear in mind, however, that some people have reactions to commercially prepared gelatin, which will contain small amounts of free glutamic acid, similar to MSG.

...remedying infant diarrhea...

Chicken soup has a natural ingredient which feeds, repairs and calms the mucous lining in the small intestine. This inner lining is the beginning and ending of the nervous system. It is easily pulled away from the intestine through too many laxatives...food additives...parasites. [It] heals the nerves, improves digestion, reduces allergies, relaxes and gives strength.
Have I convinced you?

BTVC doesn't go into much detail about stock and gelatin, but it is not a coincidence that the SCD Intro Diet includes homemade chicken soup and gelatin.

NT recommends this gelatin:
http://www.radiantlifecatalog.com/pr.../ct/4/pid/1054
I forget the reasons for using it over Knox Gelatine, but I know there were good ones.

My general procedure follows. I usually make in a stainless steel stockpot but a crockpot can also be used. It is not expensive. A pack of 4 chicken legs at Whole Foods (aka Whole Paycheck) is $3.25. I made incredible lamb stock last week from $5.50 in grassfed lamb shanks.

HOW TO MAKE:

If you are using beef bones, NT recommends roasting in oven first until browned.
Soak bones or chicken legs and vegetables desired (onions, carrots) with 2T vinegar per qt. of water for one hour before heating (chelates more minerals out).
Bring to low boil.
Skim froth.
Keep at barely a simmer for 6-24 hours.
Strain and refrigerate.
Remove fat.

After straining, you can reduce it for an hour or so at a lively boil to make a more concentrated stock. Then freeze in ice cube trays. Pop out and transfer to a freezer container. The concentrated stock or what the French term demi-glace, is really delicious. I usually do this and then serve DS shredded chicken, lamb or beef in their respective concentrated stock, he won't eat soup.

$29... pffft! Make it at home!
http://ww2.williams-sonoma.com/cat/p...2Fhme&flash=on
#134 of 313 Old 10-16-2005, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Did I scare everyone off yesterday? :LOL
#135 of 313 Old 10-16-2005, 09:22 PM

LOL! I'm still here....

We eat homemade chicken soup all the time!
#136 of 313 Old 10-16-2005, 10:08 PM

trying to post, but max is fascinated with the keyboard and loves to 'help'
#137 of 313 Old 10-16-2005, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter

Liane!

Awwww Jessica, those new pics of Max are absolutely heartbreakingly cute... Those eyes!!!!
#138 of 313 Old 10-16-2005, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
The Healing Power of Stock

Quoting from "Nourishing Traditions":
The part you had about cartilage - I have a friend who is very into NT - this must be why she recommends buying whole organic free-range chickens with the feet still attached - she told me "feet make great stock" - LOL !

Too bad Evan is allergic to chicken and beef, and I don't like lamb or fish. What about turkey broth ? Is that healing too ?

Linda

DS1 March 2003DS2 Sept 2005,
and 3 , in our happy secular
#139 of 313 Old 10-16-2005, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter

YES! Feet are supposed to be great and are given special mention in NT.

I don't see why turkey stock wouldn't be great, just didn't think of that... I've never done turkey for some reason.

Lamb stock is soooo good, extremely rich and yummy if you boil it down. Maybe it's b/c I'm part Irish and it's one of my traditional foods why I love it so much.
#140 of 313 Old 10-17-2005, 06:36 AM

still here! I have a bunch of stock in my freezer, turkey, beef, and chicken. We will definitley be eating more now that it is cooler and also it is so easy and I didn't realize it was so healthy. Thanks for the info Jane, very interesting! I guess that is why my soup was not moving (other than a jiggle) the other day!

#141 of 313 Old 10-17-2005, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Bear in mind, however, that some people have reactions to commercially prepared gelatin, which will contain small amounts of free glutamic acid, similar to MSG.
Maybe that is the reason the knox isn't as good as the other broths you can buy that you know come from well raised cows and fish, etc?

The healing power of broth...ds woke up sick this morning, and I had chicken broth simmering in my crock pot and fed him some. He's been fine so far the rest of the day! (knock on wood)

I've been back in the game for the past few days. Thanks for sharing your success with doing your yogurt in the oven with a 50 watt light, crunchymama. I bought a 60 watt light to use and made 4 quarts of yogurt at once in my oven, and the temp stayed right where it should the whole time. Much cheaper way to do it!

Okay, you guys have got to help me stick to it longer than 2 weeks! I never seem to be able to stick to these things longer than that. This diet is really easy to stick to as long as you have the things you need at home. It sucks when you are out though, you just have to be hungry a few hours longer, because there is basically no foods that I trust to eat out. Who knows what they add to their stuff. I just need to start being more prepared in my bag with portable food. I don't know what though. Oh well, we try to be around home as much as possible anyway.
#142 of 313 Old 10-17-2005, 07:40 PM

Thanks, Jane, for the stock recipe. I've never made it with the vinegar before. I'll have to try it.

All of a sudden, the health food store here started carrying raw milk. I bought some and made the 24 hr yogurt using a food warmer I found at the thrift store for $3.00. I had some this morning. It definitely had an effect on my digestion. I am hoping dd's face won't break out if I start eating it. I will just have to wait and see. I'm also on my 2nd day of no chocolate and no sugar, which to you SCD's, won't seem like much, but I had really gone off the deep end with it.

You all sound like you are doing well on the diet. How's Moneca and her little one?
#143 of 313 Old 10-17-2005, 08:09 PM

We're still on the diet, ds and I that is (dh has been cheating left and right, but not in front of ds thankfully). I am amazed that my chocolate cravings have gotten better, nuts seem to quelch it for some reason (the fat?). I am still getting migraines, but not as bad. I do hate always having to carry food everywhere. Any ideas for easy portable snacks and meals?

#144 of 313 Old 10-17-2005, 08:16 PM

Jane, do you keep the soak water for the stock with the vinegar in it? And what do you do with the fat, just toss it?

#145 of 313 Old 10-17-2005, 08:19 PM

I wanted a grocery list of items to always have on hand, so I went through the BTVC recipes and wrote down all the ingredients in the recipes, since I noticed that most ingredients are repeated in all the recipes.
It's not perfect, but I thought it might be helpful for others.

SCD grocery list

FRUIT:
apples
raisins
pears
lemon
lime
pineapple
orange
cranberries
blueberries
raspberries (fresh, frozen)
bananas
california dates
peaches
crushed, unsweetened pineapple
unsweetened coconut

VEGETABLES
onions
carrots
garlic
tomatoes
green peppers (pgs 90, 93, 99, 119)
cucumber
parsley
celery
cabbage
eggplant (pg 92)
ginger
red onion
cilantro
red bell pepper (pg 95)
lettuce
zucchini
green onion (pgs 99, 106)
acorn squash
spaghetti squash
pumpkin
cauliflower
broccoli (pg 119)
mushrooms
peas

LIQUIDS
dry white wine
apple cidar
tomato juice
vinegar (white, cider)
frozen orange juice concentrate
milk and cream to make yogurt

SPICES
cinnamon
dry mustard powder
tarragon
basil (fresh, dried)
bay leaf
italian spices
nutmeg

OTHER
peanut butter (no additives)
almonds (whole, slivered)
almond flour
walnuts
pecans
honey
unflavored gelatin
vanilla
baking soda
chicken with bones for stock
chicken breast
butter
olive oil
beef bones for stock
ground beef
dry curd cottage cheese
cheddar cheese
100% pure parmesan cheese
brick cheese, colby cheese
havarti cheese
eggs
white beans
lentils
canned anchovies, tuna, salmon
canned, fresh, or frozen fish (halibut, flounder, sole, shrimp, lobster, crabmeat)
#146 of 313 Old 10-17-2005, 11:07 PM

Nice list. Looking at that the diet doesn't seem too bad. Still waiting for the book.

I tried making yogurt twice this month and both times it didn't turn out. Mostly because I forget I put it in the oven (I will have to try the 60 w light bulb if I can figure out how to change it) and so it sits there for hours at too low a temp. The other time I made it in a cooler with hot water and it still didn't turn out. It turns out all slimy. Like I can pour it out and it is all connected slime!! What temp should you be incubating it for? I thought 95 was ok? That is what it was in the cooler and it didn't work ( but that might be the time I tried only heating my milk to 110 to preserve the enzymes. What does turning into slime mean? To many bad bacteria? Not enough starter? I usually use Brown Cow or Seven Stars, but they all have bifidum in them. I don't really like the idea of Dannon for the fact that it isn't organic (and conventional milk icks me out). Is the yogurmet starter a good one? I guess I don't like the idea of it because it is a powder.

Ok one last question. I am still having my thrush issues. Major pain here and I am about ready to go to the doctor and get diflucan. I just want it gone so that I can nurse without agonizing pain. I am just worried the diflucan will end up making it worse in the long run. What do you all think?
Right now I am treating with GSE and vinegar and coconut oil (I just did a 3 day GV round, but it is a little too rough on my nipples).

Thanks.
#147 of 313 Old 10-18-2005, 01:13 AM

aristicat, on the yogurt the temp needs to be 100-110. I'm not sure about the slime.... When you first heat the milk it has to be to 185, then cool to 108-112, then to the oven for 24 hrs. I am not thrilled that the Dannon is not organic, but it is my option right now. I did use organic milk though. I wish I could help on the thrush, but I really have no clue. I think though that the SCD would do wonders for it, especially the yogurt.

tweetybirds, thanks for the list, that is helpful. We are still trying to figure things out here!

as far as snacks to carry, we are new to this and I just haven't been eating out, or not eating perfect; I had a plain chicken breast once as I was desperately hungry.

sarah- it is huge giving up the chocolate and sugar, those to me are by far the 2 biggest things! I so miss chocolate! I did find a recipe today for toffee, which is another love! Oh, and I made some SCD macaroons which were to die for (recipe from pecanbread).

oh, thought I would post a recipe for pumpkin soup, I haven't thoroughly went through it to check all the ingredients, but it looked like it could be made SCD legal easily.

Quote:
Tunisian Pumpkin Soup
From Moosewood Restaurant Daily Special

2 c chopped onions
2 T olive oil
½ c peeled and sliced carrots
½ c peeled and sliced parsnips
1 ½ t salt
2 ½ c water or vegetable stock *
1 ¼ c unsweetened apple juice *
½ c tomato juice ^
1 t ground cumin
½ t ground nutmeg
½ t ground cinnamon
½ t paprika
1 ¾ c cooked pumpkin (15-ounce can)=

Spice Swirl
2 T olive oil
1 t minced garlic
4 t ground coriander
1 t ground caraway+
¼ t cayenne
2 T fresh lemon juice
2 T minced fresh cilantro+
1/8 t salt

In a soup pot, sauté the onions in the oil until they become translucent,
about 10 minutes. Stir in the carrots, parsnips, and salt and continues to
sauté for about 5 minutes. Add the water or stock, apple and tomato juices,
cumin, nutmeg, cinnamon, and paprika. Cover the pot and bring to a boil;
then reduce the heat and simmer until the vegetables are tender. Strain out
the vegetables with a slotted spoon and puree in a blender or food
processor. Return pureed vegetables to the broth, add the pumpkin, and stir
well. Gently reheat, if necessary.

To make the swirl, heat the oil in a small skillet and sauté the garlic on
medium heat for 1 minute . Add the coriander, caraway, and cayenne and
continue to cook, stirring constantly. When the mixture begins to bubble, 2
to 3 minutes, remove it from the heat and transfer to a small bowl. Sitr in
the lemon juice, cilantro and salt..

Ladle the soup into bowls and top each with some spice swirl.
oh, and even our local grocer has had a fabulous selection of organic squash! I have been having sqaghetti squash with a homemade spaghetti sauce, which makes me feel like I am cheating. tomorrow I hope to modify a pumpkin pie recipe to use some of the butternut squash I have!

I have tried dairy and am not sure how lil' man, or me is tolerating it. oh, how I miss the cheese! I really need to cut it out though. I think the yogurt will be ok though.

#148 of 313 Old 10-18-2005, 10:48 AM

Hi all. I am completely new to this thread, and very interested in learning about healing the gut. I think my family really needs a nutrition overhaul, even though none of us has obvious food allergies. I do think food has an enormous effect on behavior, mood and health. I have to say that this thread is completely overwhelming! It's going to take me forever to read through it (and all the other Healing the Gut threads). So for now I'll just be : and probably be back with questions.
#149 of 313 Old 10-19-2005, 07:33 AM

Hey y'all!

I just wanted to post an intro and subscribe to this thread. We've been down that long and trecherous journey of food allergies. We're on a very strict elimination diet for the moment. I've been considering doing SCD for a long time now, but haven't gotten my hiney in gear to do it. Partly because I'm unsure that it will help, and partly because it means giving up even *more* foods!

But the other day, we went to a new chiropractor who uses muscle testing for food allergies. He's been doing it for 40 years and is very experienced. He did a muscle test on our DD, and looked me straight in the eye and told me he found NO food allergies!! I was astonished and amazed. I argued with him "oh no! This girl is DEFINITELY allergic!! I carry an epi-pen!" and on and on.

Now, the visit was a brief one simply because the appointment was actually for DH and I explained to the Dr. that we'd be bringing DD in later that week. He said "oh set her in your lap and let's go ahead and clear her for something." That's what started it all. We're going back in today for her "real" visit.

So here I am thinking "what if all this time it was REALLY TRULY only gut related and not food allergies (of the true sense) at all???" So now I'm just on the verge of beginning the SCD. We will be seeing a nutritional therapist next week, and I want to get her opinions before starting. And also, I wanted to get some advice as to the best way to get going. One thing I do know is that before beginning a new diet, I must come up with some meals and snacks and stock the pantry AHEAD of time. Boy have I messed that up in the past, and it's really disheartening to want to eat something and find that there's nothing to eat!

OK, enough blabbering. Oh, I haven't yet read the past thread. If I were to try to do that first, I'd never get my intro-post done!
#150 of 313 Old 10-19-2005, 08:28 AM

Hi Pilgrim! Welcome to the thread! (LOL as if I can welcome people, we're not even on the SCD) Anyway, just wanted to point out that starting the diet will allow you to eat a variety of foods that you would not be able to on an elimination diet, so I think it should be more appealing to people who can't stand to give things up! For one thing, eggs, nuts, and dairy are allowed after your body has healed a bit. I am also skeptical of allergy tests and whatnot, they seem so random and unreliable. Good luck with figuring out what works best for you!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page