Healing the Gut Tribe: October - Page 9 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#241 of 313 Old 10-23-2005, 07:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
arcenciel, welcome! thanks for the encouragement, it is hard when you want a lil' one and waiting! I know it is better for all of us, but doing what's right isn't always what's easy...

I would definitely do the homemade yogurt, it is super easy to do and very yummy (and super healthy of course)! I have only made it twice and already have got it down pat.

Dh and I didn't really eat bad before either, but I honestly didn't realize how much we relied on pasta, rice, and bread until I cut it out. I guess I was in denial about it all.

Jessica, good luck with the intro diet! It is smart you are preparing beforehand, I didn't so I about starved because I didn't have things around to eat. I don't have a yogurt maker recommendation as I use the stove. I cook a ton around here as well, but when I do the yogurt I just cook in the crockpot or on the stove. Last time I made 3 quarts so I wouldn't have to worry about it for a while.

Jane, I started back ebf'ing him at the first of the month. I didn't think he ate much solids, but he is nursing WAY more now! Things I have found in his diaper lately; leaves- went right through, a small bit of grapefruit, and paper.

Well, today I gave him some mashed carrot, which had been cooked forever. We were down at the in-laws and I was afraid someone would make a comment if I didn't feed him, yep I am a chicken... I cheated again too, although I ate legal food for dinner, I ate a couple of cookies and piece of cake-sans the icing. Didn't even enjoy it. My tummy is upset... Again I didn't want people to think I was starving myself, I am looking very thin. I know none of their business.

You have got to get me the icecream recipe, that is my biggest weakness... then again maybe not...

Sarah- Sounds like you are doing great! Going through the die off is so hard. I thought I was going crazy, poor dh and Luke! I felt so crappy I even took a pregnancy test! I think that is so wonderful that your belly has shrunk already, you will be a skinny minny in no time! Keep up the good work!

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#242 of 313 Old 10-24-2005, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama
Jane and Amanda-
I wanted to tell you that you guys are my heroes when it comes to this stuff! You guys are really on the ball! I feel like such an idiot half the time. I told a friend the other day, I know enough just to be dangerous.
Hey crunch. Feeling like an idiot is a symptom. Really. I wandered around for months in brain fog not knowing what was going on and then die-off was a whole other level.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#243 of 313 Old 10-24-2005, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahariz
Yeah, my 15 mo old nurses a lot too, especially at night at a certain period, it seems about 3-4 am. She'll suck for a bit, roll over, and cry out to have more. This usually happens about 3 or more times in a row, and by then I'm awake. So I get up and work on the computer. She nurses for naps, too. It is hard.
Before becoming a mom, I had the impression that babies and toddlers and young children actually slept through the night. Was I ever naive.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#244 of 313 Old 10-24-2005, 03:06 AM

Jessica, you can also use a heating pad to maintain heat, that's what I use and it's usually ok, although I did have it drop to 88 degrees overnight once. I have heard the Eurocuisine one is good.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#245 of 313 Old 10-24-2005, 11:56 AM

OK, I've recently ordered the book...Gottschall....anyway, I've got a question. It might be answered in the book, but I thougt I'd go ahead and ask.
How do you know when the gut is healed? I realize it takes a long time, but how do you know?

Also-Just wanted to gripe...our local paper just ran a story today about how "they" have determined that vaccines do not have any connection to autism. Like they are perfectly safe, no one question anyone of any type of authority....blah blah blah! Just makes me so mad! Sorry, I just figured you guys might understand my irritation.

Jennifer, Wifey to Stevenwinky.gif, Mommy to Gwhistling.gif and Hfairy.gif. TTC for 5 years.
Praying for God to bless us again!

#246 of 313 Old 10-24-2005, 12:13 PM

Hey if anyone would like to buy my Yogourmet yogurt maker, it's available. You can make up to 1/2 gallons in it. It keeps its temperature. The reason I'm not using it anymore is that we go through so much yogurt that I make a gallon at a time and use the cooler method. I've got an extra yogurt container as well and think I paid over $40 plus shipping. So it's the yogurt maker plus two containers, one container is just extra if you've got a batch of yogurt in the fridge and want to make another batch. It's handy. If anyone wants it, it's $15 plus actual shipping.

edited: pending

#247 of 313 Old 10-24-2005, 03:11 PM

we have a crockpot, i should use that.

i have some more questions. i thought we were getting our cooking utensils/pots/pans/plates/glasses clean, but then today when i was cooking, i noticed that some of the hot peppers dh cooked last night crept into my food. how do those of you with other household members not on the diet make sure everything is properly cleaned?

also, what types of pots/pans/etc do you use? right now we have some terrible teflon coated ones (i know, i know, i hate them and really want to replace them but $$ are a big issue right now) and i'd like to start slowly replacing them one by one with something better. i think any new pans i get will be reserved for my cooking to help avoid the previous problem.

where do you find fresh goat milk? i've only seen powdered in the stores but really have no clue where to look.

should i be using a specific dish detergent or dishwashing liquid? i rinse really well, but still fear they leave a residue.
#248 of 313 Old 10-24-2005, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Jane, I started back ebf'ing him at the first of the month. I didn't think he ate much solids, but he is nursing WAY more now! Things I have found in his diaper lately; leaves- went right through, a small bit of grapefruit, and paper.

Well, today I gave him some mashed carrot, which had been cooked forever. We were down at the in-laws and I was afraid someone would make a comment if I didn't feed him, yep I am a chicken... I cheated again too, although I ate legal food for dinner, I ate a couple of cookies and piece of cake-sans the icing. Didn't even enjoy it. My tummy is upset... Again I didn't want people to think I was starving myself, I am looking very thin. I know none of their business.

You have got to get me the icecream recipe, that is my biggest weakness... then again maybe not...
Well I think leaves and paper would go thru a person with normal digestion!!! :LOL

How 'bout the carrots? If he doesn't get gas, he's probably ok.

SCD Vanilla Ice Cream

3 1/2 cups 24 hr. yogurt (can be made with half cream)
1/2 cup honey
1 T vanilla extract
3 egg yolks

Whisk yolks, honey and vanilla together. Slowly whisk in yogurt (best if it's room temp. so as to not harden the honey.) Refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight. Process in an ice cream maker.

I also saw this one the other day too
http://www.scdrecipe.com/r_022_00376.html
#249 of 313 Old 10-24-2005, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessviola

also, what types of pots/pans/etc do you use?
I have found some really good buys at Ross and Marshalls for stainless steel cookware with copper bottoms.

#250 of 313 Old 10-24-2005, 08:45 PM

Sale pending on the yogurt maker

#251 of 313 Old 10-24-2005, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanelee
OK, I've recently ordered the book...Gottschall....anyway, I've got a question. It might be answered in the book, but I thougt I'd go ahead and ask.
How do you know when the gut is healed? I realize it takes a long time, but how do you know?

Also-Just wanted to gripe...our local paper just ran a story today about how "they" have determined that vaccines do not have any connection to autism. Like they are perfectly safe, no one question anyone of any type of authority....blah blah blah! Just makes me so mad! Sorry, I just figured you guys might understand my irritation.
You are pretty much healed when all your symptoms disappear. I forget if it's at that point or the six month mark you can add things like shredded coconut, dried fruit, whole nuts, beans, etc. Because I think if you do add these advanced SCD legal foods and still cannot digest them, you shouldn't eat them.

Then when your symptoms disappear, you should stay on the diet for another year afterwards. If at that point you try things that are not on the SCD diet and you get symptoms, you are not healed.

Re: Vaccines and Autism

I have done a great deal of reading on this including the fabulous book, "Evidence of Harm". It seriously makes me **sick to my stomach** to hear this over and over again from the Powers That Be. If you read all the studies which are pointed to as "proof" of this, they are population studies, and they all have fatal flaws (including fudging the numbers by adding a subset of outpatient children in second half which wasn't there in first half. The Denmark study I believe.)

I just heard a snippet on NPR the other day about genetic causes of Autism and Asperger's epidemic ... there is NO such thing as a genetic epidemic!!!! I feel like I'm living in Crazy Land.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, I honestly believe with all my heart my son would have autism if he had been vaxed. (Our Ped still had old lots of vaxes from the state that were not due to expire until 2004/5 which meant some still had thimerosal. Which of course he said wasn't a concern. Of course dontcha know, he has a child with Asperger's. That is when I started reading for myself, thank heavens for the Vax forum here.)

All ASD kids have totally messed up guts. And parents of ASD kids are the best source of info on gut healing, most are much worse off than what we are going thru.
#252 of 313 Old 10-24-2005, 09:07 PM

Oh Jane thanks for the ice cream recipe. The in-laws have an ice cream maker , that I think I can borrow. Well, lil' man slept great last night, so I guess that's good, of course he didn't get to really nap yesterday and we went to bed late. I found small pieces of carrot in his poo, hasn't really been gassy. It was yellow/ with some deep green and mucus this am, but he has been having mucus already, smell was good though.

jessica re pots

we have a set of copper bottom stainless steel that I use alot
1 cast iron I use when I need a pan (wish I had more)

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#253 of 313 Old 10-24-2005, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessviola
we have a crockpot, i should use that.

i have some more questions. i thought we were getting our cooking utensils/pots/pans/plates/glasses clean, but then today when i was cooking, i noticed that some of the hot peppers dh cooked last night crept into my food. how do those of you with other household members not on the diet make sure everything is properly cleaned?

also, what types of pots/pans/etc do you use? right now we have some terrible teflon coated ones (i know, i know, i hate them and really want to replace them but $$ are a big issue right now) and i'd like to start slowly replacing them one by one with something better. i think any new pans i get will be reserved for my cooking to help avoid the previous problem.

where do you find fresh goat milk? i've only seen powdered in the stores but really have no clue where to look.

should i be using a specific dish detergent or dishwashing liquid? i rinse really well, but still fear they leave a residue.
I like the Cuisinart stainless steel pans
http://www.cuisinart.com/cgi-bin/ind...i?item_id=77-7

They have a an aluminum core (sandwiched between SS so doesn't touch food) to heat up fast and hold heat. And they are pretty inexpensive. I get a piece at a time at Linens N Things with their 20% off coupons that are always in mail. They aren't All Clad... which I would get if money is no object but they are good. I use baking soda to keep them scrub off stains. With SS you gotta make sure to heat up the pan very well first, then put in oil/fat so the food won't stick. Eggs come out great this way, but DH still hasn't gotten the hang of it, and he always makes a mess.

My Whole Foods has this goat's milk in the dairy case, but it's from VT. so might not be available everywhere http://www.oakknolldairy.com/home.html
I've also gotten some raw goat's milk at a farm near us, but they have this elaborate system of reservations that I always miss.

I use Ecover natural dishwasher detergent, both powder and tablets are good, and whatever natural liquid is on sale. It skeeves me out to use regular detergent.
#254 of 313 Old 10-24-2005, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
Eggs come out great this way, but DH still hasn't gotten the hang of it, and he always makes a mess.

Quote:
I use Ecover natural dishwasher detergent, both powder and tablets are good, and whatever natural liquid is on sale. It skeeves me out to use regular detergent.
We use some sort of eco-friendly Trader Joe's soap. I am not sure how eco-friendly it is, however, since I haven't delved into this topic yet.

#255 of 313 Old 10-24-2005, 11:53 PM

Jane, thanks for the tip on cooking eggs, maybe that's why mine stick half the time!

#256 of 313 Old 10-25-2005, 11:19 AM

Quote:
I honestly believe with all my heart my son would have autism if he had been vaxed
I so know EXACTLY what you're saying. I feel the same way about our dd, who praise God is ok. (We've skipped all vax) She's the whole reason I found this thread, have ordered this book and am about to kick our current eating habits to the curb!
Thanks Jane!
And btw-may I just say thanks to all you guys for all your input and advice and sharing...you are all invaluable.

Jennifer, Wifey to Stevenwinky.gif, Mommy to Gwhistling.gif and Hfairy.gif. TTC for 5 years.
Praying for God to bless us again!

#257 of 313 Old 10-25-2005, 04:51 PM

Ok, the thrush came back today So much for waiting to go on the diet. I just keep thinking about all the holidays coming up and also a 10 day vacation and I know I will cheat, cheat , cheat. But, I guess there will always be excuses to not start. I have a hard time telling myself no to anything let alone food.

I have been really lenient on what I am giving dd too. Cookies, pretzels, crackers (all pretty healthy versions). She loves them too. I really don't know what to feed her and keep it easy on myself so that I can get some work done. But I have noticed and it could just be teething, but she is very disagreeable thoughout the day and sleeping horribly. Up all night every couple hours last night and only an hour nap today. Her poops haven't been to great either. Lots of undigested food in there.

Which brings me to my question. What should I feed dd? She refuses to eat pureed food or off a spoon or let me feed her anything. I usually just steam everything for a really long time and then cut in small pieces.
#258 of 313 Old 10-25-2005, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticat
Which brings me to my question. What should I feed dd? She refuses to eat pureed food or off a spoon or let me feed her anything. I usually just steam everything for a really long time and then cut in small pieces.
Do you think she would drink broth out of a sippy cup? My son has always loved broth, if it is well salted and flavorful.

#259 of 313 Old 10-25-2005, 08:10 PM

Quote:
[B]
I just heard a snippet on NPR the other day about genetic causes of Autism and Asperger's epidemic ... there is NO such thing as a genetic epidemic!!!! I feel like I'm living in Crazy Land.
Isn't that true!! The "mental health" system wants eveyone to believe all "mental illness" is genetic and you need drugs to deal with it. Read "Mad in America" by Robert Whitaker for more insight into the politics and money behind that one!

I finally switched pediatricians as a new one came to town who knows what an elimination diet is! We saw him today, Jasmine's 15 mo birthday!

The yeast diet is working well. I'm feeling better, even though I cheated a bit.
#260 of 313 Old 10-25-2005, 09:00 PM

Just wanted to post a recipe that looks mostly SCD legal (substitute vinegar for the cooking sherry):

Roasted Squash Soup - Recipe
http://www.care2.com/channels/solutions/food/949
Adapted from Vegetarian Planet, by Didi Emmons (Harvard Common Press, 1997).

INGREDIENTS

1 small butternut squash (about 1 1/2 pounds), cut in half
1 acorn squash, cut in half
1/2 spaghetti squash (about 1 1/2 pounds)
3 tablespoons butter or olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
1 teaspoon curry powder
2 Granny Smith or other tart apples, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
2/3 cup sherry
5 cups water or vegetable stock
1 teaspoon salt
Fresh-ground black pepper to taste
Pinch cayenne (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 400F. Lay the squash halves cut side down on baking sheets, and roast them for 45 minutes or until the flesh is soft (the spaghetti squash may take a bit longer). When the squash has cooled a little, scoop out the seeds and discard them. Then, with a large spoon, scoop out the flesh of the squash into a bowl.

2. Heat the butter or oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Ad the onion. Coo for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until the onion softens. Add the garlic, ginger, and curry powder, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the apples and the sherry, and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the apples soften.

3. Puree the squash flesh with the water or stock in batches in a blender or food processor. Transfer the squash puree to a large saucepan, then puree the apple-sherry mixture, and add this to the pureed squash.

4. Heat the soup, and season it with the salt, pepper, and, if you like, cayenne. Ladle the hot soup into bowls, and serve.

Serves 6.

#261 of 313 Old 10-26-2005, 09:33 PM

pookietooth, the recipe sounds yummy! so many great uses for all this fabulous winter squash available now. I was looking at my grocery receipt the other day- 13 lbs of various squash.

Oh, the mental health system in America, the Heatlhcare system in America, it is all so very infuriating. Heaven forbid we try to prevent problems. Heaven forbid we suggest that maybe some problems are caused by our horrible diets and lack of exercise. Heaven forbid we admit that some of the things that the health care professionals have been feeding to us is actually making things worse. Nope, there must be a pill for everything. It must be genetics, it cannot be anyone or anythings fault. I have tried to suggest to people about changing their or their kid's diet because of certain problems, people won't even hear anything of it- I think we like to be miserable..... ok, my rant off!

Sarah- That is great you have found a knowledgable ped, that is rare indeed! Glad you are feeling better.

Aristacat- ugh, sorry the thrush is back. Sometimes we need a good kick in the pants to get motivated though. My lil' guy is currently not eating, but what I plan to do when he starts eating again is to slow cook legal fruits and veggies and put them in bite size bites for him to grab, he doesn't like being feed either. I am definitely staying away from the carbs, they are really empty calories anyway- mostly that is. I would definitley say that what she is eating is affecting her! I know my lil' guy would love anything crunchy- I do too, I think a lot of that is texture and a lot is that it tastes good. However, if it makes them feel bad we have to keep them away from it..

zanelee-good luck on the start of your journey! It is amazing what we will do for them isn't it?

Ok folks, gotta be honest, I have cheated horribly for the past 3 days. It started with Birthday cake Sunday, then breadsticks MOnday- which I couldn't stop eating, and cake again yesterday. I have been clean today though...

Luke slept fine Sunday, poops normal. Yesterday he had diarrhea and today it hasn't been too great either. He is also seems to have caught a cold and we were awake every 20 min last night because he couldn't breath well.

I think the diarrhea might be from the fact he got the garlic press out of the dishwasher(dirty) and was mouthing on it. If you guys remember he got an immediate rash on his face before from handling it.

I felt like a crack head, I wanted it sooo bad and I didn't even enjoy it. I felt like crap afterwards. I know this will sound crazy but I think it makes me mean. Maybe I am just looking for an excuse, but I know I am not always this mean, horrible mommy. HOwever, the past few days I have come about 1 in from actually smacking him- his butt, hand, whatever. I know it is irrational, I know it is horrible. Sometimes I just think I am not fit. I want no one to see how I parent when no one is looking. I yell at times, absolutley no patience. Dh and I want a large family and I want another kiddo, but look how I am handling this one. I know lack of sleep plays in this as well. I honestly didn't think I had this big of an issue, but looking back (and my posts are a huge indicator) I was insane with the initial die-off I guess I got to go through it again.

I am just getting so mad at myself. I know all the reasons not to do it, yet I do. I feel like we are never going to make progress because I am sabotaging things. I feel I need to pick something and stick to it, either what the ND says or the SCD. I am still waiting on my book though, that would make it so much easier.

So, if anyone has read through this and has any wisdom or support I could use it very much right now..... Thinking perhaps I need to be medicated.....

#262 of 313 Old 10-26-2005, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I felt like a crack head, I wanted it sooo bad and I didn't even enjoy it. I felt like crap afterwards. I know this will sound crazy but I think it makes me mean. Maybe I am just looking for an excuse, but I know I am not always this mean, horrible mommy. HOwever, the past few days I have come about 1 in from actually smacking him- his butt, hand, whatever. I know it is irrational, I know it is horrible. Sometimes I just think I am not fit. I want no one to see how I parent when no one is looking. I yell at times, absolutley no patience. Dh and I want a large family and I want another kiddo, but look how I am handling this one. I know lack of sleep plays in this as well. I honestly didn't think I had this big of an issue, but looking back (and my posts are a huge indicator) I was insane with the initial die-off I guess I got to go through it again.

I am just getting so mad at myself. I know all the reasons not to do it, yet I do. I feel like we are never going to make progress because I am sabotaging things. I feel I need to pick something and stick to it, either what the ND says or the SCD. I am still waiting on my book though, that would make it so much easier.

So, if anyone has read through this and has any wisdom or support I could use it very much right now..... Thinking perhaps I need to be medicated.....
Well you know what they say... admitting your problems are the first step to solving them And you certainly are willing to face your issues, many people can't even do that!!!! It does take time, and several missteps in order to resolve to change. In my case it did too!

There is DEFINATELY a neurological component to gut problems... attributed to yeast and bacteria overgrowth. Toxins released by them are like alcohol in their chemical makeup. So it would make sense that an imbalance and die off creates sleep disorders and personality changes, like alcohol.

I know I have been literally insane from sleep deprivation many many times. That also makes me mean.

Hang in there, you're learning a lesson... and sometimes we all need to be bashed on the head in order to get something to sink in (again speaking from experience here).
#263 of 313 Old 10-26-2005, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

Interesting info about enzymes and other treatments for bacteria/yeast problems:

http://www.enzymestuff.com/conditionbacteria.htm
#264 of 313 Old 10-26-2005, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticat
Ok, the thrush came back today So much for waiting to go on the diet. I just keep thinking about all the holidays coming up and also a 10 day vacation and I know I will cheat, cheat , cheat. But, I guess there will always be excuses to not start. I have a hard time telling myself no to anything let alone food.

I have been really lenient on what I am giving dd too. Cookies, pretzels, crackers (all pretty healthy versions). She loves them too. I really don't know what to feed her and keep it easy on myself so that I can get some work done. But I have noticed and it could just be teething, but she is very disagreeable thoughout the day and sleeping horribly. Up all night every couple hours last night and only an hour nap today. Her poops haven't been to great either. Lots of undigested food in there.

UGH! I feel your pain!

I'd really consider enzymes in your case, have you looked into them? Which is not to say that cheating is ok... but they can minimize the damage and also help clear out problems safely and effectively.

When I had thrush I tried Candex and it did work but was way expensive. I've heard that Houston's No Fenol is the same and it's cheaper. Taking enzymes on an empty stomach targets them onto the bad bacteria and yeast instead of food.

I'd cut out all the grains if DD is not digesting her food. Undigested grains and sugars are just food for the bad bacteria/yeast in the gut. I know it's more work but what about steamed chunks of fruit instead? Or well ripened banana or avocado don't need to be cooked. Let her make a mess, when I let my guy make a mess, he's occupied for much longer! :LOL
#265 of 313 Old 10-26-2005, 11:32 PM

Quote:
There is DEFINATELY a neurological component to gut problems... attributed to yeast and bacteria overgrowth. Toxins released by them are like alcohol in their chemical makeup. So it would make sense that an imbalance and die off creates sleep disorders and personality changes, like alcohol.
My mom did the diet with me back in the day and she has also worked with a lot of people going through recovery for drugs and alcohol. She has said many times "I wouldn't have believed it had I not experienced it myself, but we displayed classic symptoms of drug withdrawal."

#266 of 313 Old 10-27-2005, 12:30 AM

yep, I'm an addict....and they say sugar isn't addictive.... or sugar doesn't cause hyperactivity in kids- actually seen that gem on tv at the inlaws house... ugh.. lil' man's poops looked better tonight, so I guess that is good. HOping for a better night and a little more sanity. Dh is off the next 3 days, so hopefully that will help. I have been an insomniac lately, well for a while, since he has been born. When I can sleep I can't, very frustrating. If I nap I generally feel worse. I just lay there waiting for him to wake up most of the time. rambling on and on again.

oh, I made the icecream. I gotta say I am dissapointed it is VERY tart. I don't understand because my yogurt doesn't taste that tart when I eat it plain. However, some honey remedied it. I think I will add some peaches tomorrow- I have a bunch frozen from a local orchard.

well, I should probably get off and at least try to sleep, thanks again ladies..

#267 of 313 Old 10-27-2005, 02:24 AM

Quote:
I felt like a crack head, I wanted it sooo bad and I didn't even enjoy it. I felt like crap afterwards. I know this will sound crazy but I think it makes me mean. Maybe I am just looking for an excuse, but I know I am not always this mean, horrible mommy. HOwever, the past few days I have come about 1 in from actually smacking him- his butt, hand, whatever. I know it is irrational, I know it is horrible. Sometimes I just think I am not fit. I want no one to see how I parent when no one is looking. I yell at times, absolutley no patience. I am just getting so mad at myself. I know all the reasons not to do it, yet I do. I feel like we are never going to make progress because I am sabotaging things. I feel I need to pick something and stick to it, either what the ND says or the SCD. I am still waiting on my book though, that would make it so much easier.

Crunchy_mama, I've been mean, too, lately, and I haven't cheated a bit, other than eating some raw cabbage (making soup for dh), which is farther along on the diet than I am currently. So maybe it's just the planets or something in the air? I yelled at DS twice today, for locking his bedroom door so we couldn't get in (he was outside it too), making us miss a very important appointment. This diet is so much work, it's stressing me out. And I just found out I have a yeast infection. Ugh! to you.
What does the ND say? Elimination diet? That's what mine is saying, cut out either dairy or eggs, see if it makes a difference. Hard to do on the SCD diet! But poor ds still has dark circles and bags under his eyes, and a constantly stuffy nose.

#268 of 313 Old 10-27-2005, 04:21 AM

Gale Force - I just wanted to say that OF COURSE children sleep through the night! My oldest two have both slept through the night since they were 4!

Crunchy_mama it's horrible being a mean mommy. I go through phases of good times or bad. All the while I'm working on myself (when I have time) and hoping that I'm getting better. But I see the effects on my kids (and I don't just mean at the moments that I yell) and I hate it. I can't let me hate myself though because then I wouldn't work on it, and I need to do that for them. But it's tough at the times you can't control who you are.

Aristacat did you try yoghurt on the thrush?

So. I'm getting my head round what this is all about and I see it's worth doing or else the other improvements won't make much difference. I'm really daunted by the enormity of it all. I realise that although I've been doing NT things for a year, I really haven't made all that many changes! I can't begin to imagine what we'll eat if we don't eat grains. But I'm committed to getting on with it.

So the question is, if I don't care about the science (what I mean is I'm already convinced) do I need the book? I've found the introductory diet and the legal list, but do I need the book for the order to reintroduce things?

arcenciel WAHM to 14 and 13yo DS, 9 and 5yo DD

#269 of 313 Old 10-27-2005, 10:42 AM

thank you so much ladies! It is hard when what you do contradicts with what you believe. I am trying to work on myself, sadly I am better, but boy do I need work. I don't know where this rage comes from, I don't remember being this way before. I guess it is with Luke most of the time because he doesn't talk back, no one will see me. I am this way with hubby sometimes too though to be honest.

arcenciel, I would order the book, I have been lost here waiting on the book. I've got the legal list and the intro, but what's inbetween... However I have been waiting for 2.5 weeks for it...

pookietooth, the nd says no carbs, or dairy, but yes on everything else. she wasn't so much concerned with the allergy issues as she sees it as a gut problem. It is very frustrating trying to do both at the same time, isn't it? Trying to figure out what's best and not starving ourselves in the process.

#270 of 313 Old 10-27-2005, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale Force
My mom did the diet with me back in the day and she has also worked with a lot of people going through recovery for drugs and alcohol. She has said many times "I wouldn't have believed it had I not experienced it myself, but we displayed classic symptoms of drug withdrawal."
Yep, that is what DS looks like now with the circles under his eyes!!! It's so hard.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page