Healing the Gut Tribe: October - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 313 Old 10-01-2005, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There were a couple of things I wanted to start this thread with... but now I forgot what they were.

Maybe I'll regain my brain in a day or two...up w/ DS for 3 hours last night!!!
#2 of 313 Old 10-01-2005, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Whoops, forgot link to Sept thread: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=336581

#3 of 313 Old 10-01-2005, 08:41 PM

Hello there! We just got our copy of "Is This Your Child" Amazing! I think we might try the rotary diet. We will be seeing the ND Monday or Tuesday though and am hoping she has some words of wisdom. Lil' mans poops are looking more normal again, although something has bothered him today as he had blood in his stool again!!!

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#4 of 313 Old 10-01-2005, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

Yup that was the very first book I read that started me on this journey. When DS's eczema appeared, he had been eating rice cereal for a week or two, he got a MASSIVE yeast rash. That the Ped kept insisting wasn't yeast and px an antibiotic cream which made it worse!

I got thrush and connected all 3 problems but was continually told I was crazy, yeast didn't cause eczema. Been a long road from there...

Your poor bunny, I hope it calms down now that his poops are better. Let us know what the ND says.
#5 of 313 Old 10-02-2005, 12:58 AM

Yes, it is amazing isn't it? I am so glad to find out that I am not crazy. I am looking closer into my own health and dh's health as well. I have been so stressed about all of this. I am afraid he has lost weight, he feels too skinny to me. My dh has bad problems with yeast, he has had a rash for 6 yrs, no dr. has been able to help. I didn't really think of this as a food issue until recently. He has been eating a lot less dairy though since I have gave it up and I do the cooking. I am hoping to switch him to goats milk, which maybe would be at least somewhat better. His whole family is addicted to milk and all have massive allergy issues and stomach problems.

rambling... I am wondering do any of you ladies have a problem diagnosing everyone now that you are armed with all this knowledge that so few have? I haven't been opening my mouth as I know it won't do any good but I cannot help but think about people like my nephew- extreme colic for the first year; screamed all the time, wouldn't sleep-ever, stinky-sweaty constantly, cradle cap forever, problems with constipation, very hyper, etc etc

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#6 of 313 Old 10-02-2005, 04:11 AM

Does goat milk yogurt always turn out watery, like buttermilk, or am I doing something wrong? Is it because I used the ultra-pasteurized (all I could find)?

Also, has anyone tried the cheesecake from the intro diet with all dripped yogurt instead of DCCC? The DCCC I got is expensive, is only 1/2% butterfat, and when made into the cheesecake, gave it a grainy texture that ds refused. I was hoping the yogurt would have better results.

Are there some intro diet recipes out there that make it less monotonous? DS and dh are both sick of it after two days (with some cheating on all our parts, including adding banana, cooked fruit, and cooked peas).

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#7 of 313 Old 10-02-2005, 01:18 PM

I have some news that I think will turn out to be good. I've been searching for a doctor to help us with Evan's GI issues. Last week I visited a highly recommended health food store here and the owner gave me a card for a doctor she recommends. He's not a DAN! doctor but I think he can help us. I talked to him on the phone about Evan's problems, filled out a big questionaire, and we had an appointment yesterday. He agrees the root cause is gut problems, and that we have to heal his gut. He said everything I am doing so far is on the right track and to keep going with those (probiotics, enzymes, cod liver oil). He thinks we still have some unidentified food allergies and wants to do P/N testing (we only had blood and skin testing before). He knows Dr. Rapp personally and is consulting with her about DS's issues. He will also test for yeast and mineral levels, amino acids, and heavy metals. I am going to hold off on the GF trial I was planning because changes caused by eliminating gluten could confuse the results of the P/N testing especially where delayed reactions are concerned. He can do a P/N test on gluten for us though. I think this is going to be expensive for us but at least he is local (five minutes from our house !!!!!) and passionate about helping us and listens to us and knowledgeable about the areas we want help in.

On to my question.....I'm ignorant on this, can someone explain to me what is bad about pasteurization for foods *other than* dairy ? We have to be completely casein-free here, so any form of dairy is not ok for us, so he's not talking about dairy. But he said that other pasteurized foods, like pasteurized juices, could be a problem for DS. He recommended I find someplace to get raw, unpasteurized honey and start giving him that every day, and that he should drink unpasteurized juices. I understand why raw juice is obviously better for you, and I have a juicer so I can make raw juice no problem, but why would some pasteurized juice be a problem ? We aren't huge juice drinkers anyway but do have bottled juice on occasion.

Thanks !

DS1 March 2003DS2 Sept 2005,
and 3 , in our happy secular
#8 of 313 Old 10-02-2005, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama
Yes, it is amazing isn't it? I am so glad to find out that I am not crazy. I am looking closer into my own health and dh's health as well. I have been so stressed about all of this. I am afraid he has lost weight, he feels too skinny to me. My dh has bad problems with yeast, he has had a rash for 6 yrs, no dr. has been able to help. I didn't really think of this as a food issue until recently. He has been eating a lot less dairy though since I have gave it up and I do the cooking. I am hoping to switch him to goats milk, which maybe would be at least somewhat better. His whole family is addicted to milk and all have massive allergy issues and stomach problems.

rambling... I am wondering do any of you ladies have a problem diagnosing everyone now that you are armed with all this knowledge that so few have? I haven't been opening my mouth as I know it won't do any good but I cannot help but think about people like my nephew- extreme colic for the first year; screamed all the time, wouldn't sleep-ever, stinky-sweaty constantly, cradle cap forever, problems with constipation, very hyper, etc etc
Re: dairy

I belong to a raw dairy co-op, and everyone I meet tells me the same story: couldn't digest dairy, until I got raw. Raw milk is to Pasteurized dairy as Breastmilk is like Formula.

Great info on how pasteurized dairy is hard to digest, blocks absorption of calcium, etc: www.realmilk.org

Can you get him to try homemade yogurt/kefir? Cultured dairy is predigested. I especially like raw milk kefir b/c it's not heated at all and all the beneficial enzymes and immunoglobulins are completely intact.

Re: diagnosing everybody and their brother
Are you kidding? I'm the Queen Bee of Telling People to Heal Their Gut :LOL

That's all I post around these forums now... heal your gut, a damaged gut causes food allergies, join our tribe

I'm just waiting for someone to yell, "Stoooooooop already!" :LOL

But seriously, it is the root cause of the explosion in food allergies and digestive disorders these days. It's sooooooo common. Your poor lil' nephew, how old is he?
#9 of 313 Old 10-02-2005, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookietooth
Does goat milk yogurt always turn out watery, like buttermilk, or am I doing something wrong? Is it because I used the ultra-pasteurized (all I could find)?

Also, has anyone tried the cheesecake from the intro diet with all dripped yogurt instead of DCCC? The DCCC I got is expensive, is only 1/2% butterfat, and when made into the cheesecake, gave it a grainy texture that ds refused. I was hoping the yogurt would have better results.

Are there some intro diet recipes out there that make it less monotonous? DS and dh are both sick of it after two days (with some cheating on all our parts, including adding banana, cooked fruit, and cooked peas).
Yes goat's milk yogurt tends to be more watery. It's because the protein molecules are smaller than cow's milk. Generally one should try to stay away from ultra pasteurized dairy b/c it has even less nutrients, but I know it's hard to get goat's milk.

Yes, dripped yogurt is better in the cheesecake! Pain in neck though b/c it takes like 2 days between making the yogurt and dripping it. However, if you put the cheesecake ingredients in the blender and puree for a very long time, like 5 minutes you can make the DCCC smoother.

I think the intro is only supposed to last a few days anyway, I think you are done?
#10 of 313 Old 10-02-2005, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by llp34
I have some news that I think will turn out to be good. I've been searching for a doctor to help us with Evan's GI issues. Last week I visited a highly recommended health food store here and the owner gave me a card for a doctor she recommends. He's not a DAN! doctor but I think he can help us. I talked to him on the phone about Evan's problems, filled out a big questionaire, and we had an appointment yesterday. He agrees the root cause is gut problems, and that we have to heal his gut. He said everything I am doing so far is on the right track and to keep going with those (probiotics, enzymes, cod liver oil). He thinks we still have some unidentified food allergies and wants to do P/N testing (we only had blood and skin testing before). He knows Dr. Rapp personally and is consulting with her about DS's issues. He will also test for yeast and mineral levels, amino acids, and heavy metals. I am going to hold off on the GF trial I was planning because changes caused by eliminating gluten could confuse the results of the P/N testing especially where delayed reactions are concerned. He can do a P/N test on gluten for us though. I think this is going to be expensive for us but at least he is local (five minutes from our house !!!!!) and passionate about helping us and listens to us and knowledgeable about the areas we want help in.

He recommended I find someplace to get raw, unpasteurized honey and start giving him that every day, and that he should drink unpasteurized juices. I understand why raw juice is obviously better for you, and I have a juicer so I can make raw juice no problem, but why would some pasteurized juice be a problem ?
Wheeee! That sounds terrific! 5 min. from your house, I'm so jealous

Raw honey is awesome b/c it still contains the enzyme amalyse that digests carbs. Also local raw honey is a great preventer of hay fever b/c the small amounts of pollen in it specific to your area inoculates you. I personally had just 2 days of barely itchy eyes and a few sneezes this year, which is INCREDIBLE.

Probably he wants fresh juice b/c it contains all the enzymes and vitamins intact from the raw fruit? Once you store it, they both rapidly deplete, and if you heat it, pfffft.
#11 of 313 Old 10-02-2005, 11:12 PM

Hi. Been following this thread since it started, but never managed to get in the first of the month before it blew up into a huge thread!! I tried reading as much as I could though.

So lately my 10 mo dd and I have been plagued by yeast issues. I started getting itchy cracked nipples so treated both of us with a 4 day course of gentian violet. I've also been washing them with gse and viniegar most of the time after feedings. Well now it is back and worse than before. Now I can totally see the with cottage cheesy stuff on her inside cheeks and her tongue is so raw and I am not in too good of shape either. A rash has also appeared around the diaper area. Once and a while it might look like the anus ring (but never there constantly or even more than a day). Sometimes the rash is red and she seems to be trying to itch it, but mostly it is just patches of raised bumps. No where else just diaper area and the main rash areas are where her diaper rubs. So I kept thinking it was just related to her diapers, but I know we have major yeast issues.

She was always a gassy baby. Might of had a slight reflux problem as an infant, but I think she was such a swallower that I could never tel. Her poops I am not sure since this is my first baby and no one else I know breastfed so I am clueless on normal there. Occasionally I gave her probiotics (and yes they were Baby Jarro) but not often and sometimes I just used the Adult Jarro. I use cocunut oil liberally on skin as well as with cooking. She doesn't really like it plain, and won't allow me to spoon feed her anything like yogurt or anything. How do you get coconut oil into a little one? I didn't start her on food until around 6 months and even then it wasn't much if any that actually went in her mouth. (just fruits and veggies) SHe has always liked to feed herself so I had to cut them up in little peices. I don't know it that threw digestive issues for a loop or not as some food came out like it went in She threw up bananas around 6 months. Just gave her some today to try again, but she didn't like the taste so didn't really eat any.

I am sorry this is so long and I am rambling. My neices and nephew all have allergies and so I've been watching her like a hawk, but haven't seen any red alerts. I know I have to start a food journal and see where any inconsitencies are but it is so hard to make the time. And I know I should try and locate the books to read. Anyone have any other ideas for me to start with? Just wanted to share my story and say hello and thanks for a lot of good info.

Stacy
#12 of 313 Old 10-03-2005, 12:46 AM

:
#13 of 313 Old 10-03-2005, 07:53 AM

hello stacy and tofumama, and welcome! I am a newbie here as well. A book that a lot of people recommend is "Is this Your Child" you can get it for $1.5 on Amazon. It is by a pediatric allergist and tells about all the signs and symptoms of allergies in kids, how to do a food elimination diet, etc. Extremely informative. I think the easiest thing to do to start is to just start writing down what you eat and how the baby acts and any possible physical symptoms and go from there. That is where we started, no have eliminated eggs, dairy, oats, and chicken; at the Lc's advice and there are still some problems; chocolate I think, we will be reevaluating in a few more days. With my lil' guy he gets a rash on his face, the bumpy rash around his anus, or just an entirely scalded butt, mucousy green watery stinky poops; sometimes tinged with blood, acts like he is on drugs- crazed out hyper- will not sleep. Different babies react differently though. Hopefully, other ladies can give you some words of wisdom as well.

llp34, oh, that sounds fantastic! I am jealous as well! I hope my trip to the ND turns out as well!

Jane My nephew just turned 4 and has some behavior issues, was almost kicked out of daycare. So they have tightened the reigns and beat him more, mil was telling me he is doing better. It is very, very sad. He still has constipation issues, of course a "healthy" meal is hotdogs and macaroni and cheese.... I just keep my mouth shut. I expect them to do the same when they disagree with my parenting.

Isn't it hard when you try to give people info but they act like you are crazy? I told this one mom how dairy allergies can cause ear infections, but she is going through with the tubes in her babies ears I don't even think he is a year old. She didn't even try to eliminate dairy, well she said she cut back in the afternoons.... It is so frustrating people think I am nuts for cutting out the food I have cut out, and my diet isn't even as restrictive as a lot of people. I always thought when you had kids you were supposed to do your best for them... it is like I have heard many ff'ers say... well, I ff'd and my baby is fine, well I don't just want my baby to be "fine"

Well ladies I found out the most interesting information last night. I was talking to mom, who is fabulous by the way, about Luke and his food issues. I always knew that I had been sick as a child. Mom told me last night that I wouldn't take solids when I was a babe. She said they ended up putting me in the hospital because I was so small and wouldn't eat, she said they acted like she wasn't trying to feed me. However, when they put me in they realized that I wouldn't eat for them either. They advised mom to keep me on the bottle as long as possible, for fear that I would starve. Oh, she also said it started with me just becoming pale and limp. She said they did all kinds of tests but never found anything. I was sick and very small until they removed my tonsils and adenoids. They diagnosed it as developmental growth delay, she said my father was very small until his teenage years- he is now 6 3.

So, I guess this is another piece of the puzzle. After reading Dr. Rapp's book I am wondering if the problems had to do with the fact that we lived in a trailer. Actually, this is reasuring though because at least 1 person irl understands that no, I just cannot wean him, he won't eat. Also, it makes me worry that there is some terrible inherited disease that has gone undiagnosed. Perhaps, we have all just had undiagnosed food allergies. I do hope to figure this all out and get lil' man well.

Oh, he has blood in his stool again! I am starting to wonder if it is just one thing that causes this, or multiple things. Friday he grabbed a clove of garlic and bit into it, he immediately got a rash on his face that lasted several hours. Now perhaps this is a dumb question, but because he got a rash on his face does this mean he is allergic to it, or it just irritated his skin? I was thinking perhaps this is what caused the blood. I will have to go back and check the timeline on all of this!

well, need to go!

#14 of 313 Old 10-03-2005, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookietooth
Just poking my head in really quickly.

I personally think the cheesecake is better with the dripped yogurt. That was all I had to make it at home. Here at my mom's I tried it with the DCCC and I didn't like it at all.

But yeah like Jane says it's a bit of a pain with the dripped yogurt only because it takes so long to make it. But worth it in my opinion.

On a side note: we found a great dentist for dd but she needs a lot more work than the one cavity. She needs 2 pulpotomies, 2 crowns for the teeth that have the pulpotomies, and 8 fillings. So all the work is going to be done in one sitting under anethesia. I can't wait till it's all over and done with.

Hugs to all,
Loon

Loon , dh , dd , and twins ds1 dd2 **Thoughts become things. - Mike Dooley**
#15 of 313 Old 10-03-2005, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Yikes... I have lots to say so I never should have checked in til I had more time. Will be back (like you could get rid of me) :LOL

Loon,

What's a pulpotomy? a root canal? There's lots of warnings about root canals, it's impossible to clean all the hundreds of roots, and infection and cavitations results in most cases. http://www.mercola.com//article/dent...anal/index.htm

Also, I think crowns and the fillings under them can contain amalgam (mercury), it's important to check that everything will be metal free. Are they teeth that really need to be saved?
#16 of 313 Old 10-03-2005, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Friday he grabbed a clove of garlic and bit into it, he immediately got a rash on his face that lasted several hours. Now perhaps this is a dumb question, but because he got a rash on his face does this mean he is allergic to it, or it just irritated his skin?
Hi all, I haven't been on the forum much lately. I too love "Is this your Child?" by Doris Rapp-it was one of the first books I read.

I wanted to respond to crunchy mama's question. My dd has gotten hive like rashes several times. Once was after smearing SCD goat's milk yogurt all over her face-hardly eating any, but her face broke out like crazy. Then, the other night, she ate about 2 garbanzo beans, after eating her first one the night before. The same thing happened. There was a Mothering Magazine sponsored chat last week with Linda Palmer, DC, who is an expert in these sorts of things, and I got to ask a question. She said this type of response is usually IgE mediated and is what would be called a "true" allergy. In other words, this is the type of thing one might want to get an epi-pen for. She said I should not keep exposing dd to dairy in any form in my diet, as it will sensitize her even more to dairy. DD still eats very little at 14 mo and loves the breast! Also, interestingly, garbanzo beans are related to peanuts, which are highly allergenic. I'm sure the chat transcript will be posted soon (if not already) at www.mommychats.com. I'm not sure if your garlic experience would be classified the same way, but you may want to check into it further.
#17 of 313 Old 10-03-2005, 05:14 PM

thaank you so much for the info, I will definitely check into it further. perhaps that is the culprit of his blood in his stool. I will also ask the ND about this tomorrow.

#18 of 313 Old 10-03-2005, 08:48 PM

another first timer...

my DS and I are pretty healthy - DH has eczema, hayfever, and chronic athlete's foot/jock itch. i keep urging him to see a natural health practicioner about it all, but it's low priority for him. any other starter tips i can give him?

a lot of babies in my mom's group are starting to get allergies, though... makes me sad, and i'm always on the lookout for what they can do to beat the allergies!

we just picked up some raw honey last weekend... i've heard honey is not safe for babies because of botulin spores... but this is local, raw honey.... i would love to give DS a little with apples for rosh hashana, but he's only almost 10 mo. any thoughts on babies and raw honey? ooo, and what about raw milk? i have a source for that too...

Rosemary & Gary :
James 12/04 & Cecelia 4/07
#19 of 313 Old 10-03-2005, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticat
So lately my 10 mo dd and I have been plagued by yeast issues. I started getting itchy cracked nipples so treated both of us with a 4 day course of gentian violet. I've also been washing them with gse and viniegar most of the time after feedings. Well now it is back and worse than before. Now I can totally see the with cottage cheesy stuff on her inside cheeks and her tongue is so raw and I am not in too good of shape either. A rash has also appeared around the diaper area. Once and a while it might look like the anus ring (but never there constantly or even more than a day). Sometimes the rash is red and she seems to be trying to itch it, but mostly it is just patches of raised bumps. No where else just diaper area and the main rash areas are where her diaper rubs. So I kept thinking it was just related to her diapers, but I know we have major yeast issues.

She was always a gassy baby. Might of had a slight reflux problem as an infant, but I think she was such a swallower that I could never tel. Her poops I am not sure since this is my first baby and no one else I know breastfed so I am clueless on normal there. Occasionally I gave her probiotics (and yes they were Baby Jarro) but not often and sometimes I just used the Adult Jarro. I use cocunut oil liberally on skin as well as with cooking. She doesn't really like it plain, and won't allow me to spoon feed her anything like yogurt or anything. How do you get coconut oil into a little one? I didn't start her on food until around 6 months and even then it wasn't much if any that actually went in her mouth. (just fruits and veggies) SHe has always liked to feed herself so I had to cut them up in little peices. I don't know it that threw digestive issues for a loop or not as some food came out like it went in She threw up bananas around 6 months. Just gave her some today to try again, but she didn't like the taste so didn't really eat any.
Stacy! Glad you are here.

First of all you are waaaaay ahead of anything I ever did at that age... I wish I knew enough to just kept DS on fruits and veggies as his first foods. Sounds like your experience is exactly like ours, it's not food allergies but a total intolerance of food b/c of an imbalance of intestinal flora.

Coconut oil will absorb thru the skin. And giving a little one who is bf'ing coconut oil is easy, just eat a lot of coconut oil and coconut milk yourself! It comes right through by increasing the beneficial medium chain fatty acids in your milk. The standard adult recommendation is 3 1/2 T. of coconut oil/day or 10oz of full fat coconut milk. But you might want to try and take more depending on how you do. But work up to that amount, it might cause die off in you.

Actually all fats you eat as a bf mama comes through your milk too. So you should be concentrating on coconut oil, cod liver oil, butter, avocado, olive oil, and palm oil is okay too. Occasional peanut oil. No other vegetable oil. No polyunsatured oils like canola, corn, safflower, sunflower... bad stuff.

And NO trans fats, that is super bad for eczema babes, well for every baby really! They come thru your milk as well and compete with essential fatty acids in the body and block the function of the EFA's. (Sorry trans fats are a big pet peeve of mine.)

Bananas should be very well spotted with black... very very ripe. It means all the complex sugars have been converted to simple sugars and are therefore easier to digest.

What about avocado? Or very well steamed, purreed carrots or green beans. I also used to put a bit of fresh breastmilk in my veggie purees (making sure not too hot) for added enzymes. I would not recommend white potato, sweet potato, corn or other starchy things that are complex sugars (read more about below). Cooked fruits (ex. bananas don't need to be) are much easier to digest, start with pears.

Gas is the number one symptom of yeast and imbalance of intestinal flora. As far as which probiotic to use, thats a hard one, but we are following the rules from the Specific Carbohydrate Diet right now (only acidophilus, thermophilus and bulgaricus).

Start at the websites for the SCD to learn more about why this diet works to change the intestinal flora balance:
http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.i.../beginners.htm
http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.i..._the_diet2.htm
http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.i..._the_diet2.htm

The Legal/Illegal list at Breaking the Vicious Cycle would be a good place to start as far as what are the foods that are easier to digest.
http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.i...llegal_a-c.htm

Also the Stages at Pecanbread:
http://www.pecanbread.com/foodprep.html#beyond
#20 of 313 Old 10-03-2005, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Jane My nephew just turned 4 and has some behavior issues, was almost kicked out of daycare. So they have tightened the reigns and beat him more, mil was telling me he is doing better. It is very, very sad. He still has constipation issues, of course a "healthy" meal is hotdogs and macaroni and cheese.... I just keep my mouth shut. I expect them to do the same when they disagree with my parenting.
What...??? Beat? Are you serious?
The poor poor bunny. All of us mamas here aren't perfect, but boy, our kids are soooo lucky to have us to understand them. I hate to think what kind of rage your nephew is going to have in a few years.

Quote:
Isn't it hard when you try to give people info but they act like you are crazy? I told this one mom how dairy allergies can cause ear infections, but she is going through with the tubes in her babies ears I don't even think he is a year old. She didn't even try to eliminate dairy, well she said she cut back in the afternoons.... It is so frustrating people think I am nuts for cutting out the food I have cut out, and my diet isn't even as restrictive as a lot of people. I always thought when you had kids you were supposed to do your best for them... it is like I have heard many ff'ers say... well, I ff'd and my baby is fine, well I don't just want my baby to be "fine"
YES and YES!!!

The thing is that you can never take FF back 40 years later when the child develops diabetes. By that time, the fact whether they were FF is not going to be connected.

People do NOT know enough about how crucial bf'ing is. For NORMAL brain development for ex. Not to be smarter. But to get the essential fats that coat the nerves. There has been a study correlating FF with Multiple Sclerosis (a degenerative disease that causes the myelin sheath around nerves to wear away). When I told this to my dear friend with MS, did she supplement her DS's formula with cholesterol, coconut oil and cod liver oil. Nope. Because her dr. said it wasn't necessary.

Pediatric surgeons can tell which babies were FF b/c their tendons are thinner. They also have thinner skin, it's been proven by peer reviewed studies. What the heck else is FF doing to build bodies. Could thinner skin be a cause down the road for skin cancer??? Who's going to research that. There's just so many possibilities, it's mind blowing.

But people just think, "Formula is food fill my baby up." They don't think, "It's the essential components that my baby's body is going to use to build itself up." The second statement makes me shudder when I think of powdered rancid fats and heat damaged proteins in a can becoming part of a baby's body. Someday if I win the lottery, that will be the billboard message I fund!

All disease is rooted in improper nutrition. The more I read, the more I believe this.

Whew. Ok, breathe Jane. What a diatribe that turned into! Aaaaaaalll my pet peeves in one night! :LOL

And to your second point re: people thinking I/We are crazy

I think I'm dropping out of our local playgroup we've been in for over a year over food issues and I'm very very sad. I'm going to try to just convince everyone to bring our own food and that's that. Of course when I first mentioned this, all one mama could say, "Well my son can eat anything!" Over and over again. I'm so upset about this. If my son only had one arm, would she keep telling me, "Well my son has two arms so he can do anything!" :

I just don't think people will ever really change unless they really have to. I know we had to make many false starts and I had to learn my lesson by being banged over the head several times, so I try to remember that and be gentle with them. Most of the time. And it's too easy in this culture to dismiss nutrition as vital to health.
#21 of 313 Old 10-03-2005, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Well ladies I found out the most interesting information last night. I was talking to mom, who is fabulous by the way, about Luke and his food issues. I always knew that I had been sick as a child. Mom told me last night that I wouldn't take solids when I was a babe. She said they ended up putting me in the hospital because I was so small and wouldn't eat, she said they acted like she wasn't trying to feed me. However, when they put me in they realized that I wouldn't eat for them either. They advised mom to keep me on the bottle as long as possible, for fear that I would starve. Oh, she also said it started with me just becoming pale and limp. She said they did all kinds of tests but never found anything. I was sick and very small until they removed my tonsils and adenoids. They diagnosed it as developmental growth delay, she said my father was very small until his teenage years- he is now 6 3.

So, I guess this is another piece of the puzzle. After reading Dr. Rapp's book I am wondering if the problems had to do with the fact that we lived in a trailer. Actually, this is reasuring though because at least 1 person irl understands that no, I just cannot wean him, he won't eat. Also, it makes me worry that there is some terrible inherited disease that has gone undiagnosed. Perhaps, we have all just had undiagnosed food allergies. I do hope to figure this all out and get lil' man well.
That IS very interesting about your history. You really went through a lot. But then again, formula is not easy for any baby to digest.

I often think if the fact that I was raised on the horrid homemade formula recipe of Carnation evaporated milk and Karo syrup doomed me to horrible digestion. Although I was a peaceful happy baby. And I never really had a lot of major stomach problems as a kid, I ate everything. But enough to call my stomach sensitive maybe. The really bad symptoms started when I got massive dental work done 10 years ago, and then again with several months of 3 different antibiotics right before I got pg.

And I wonder how many food allergic kids had moms with thrush problems, it seems to be a common theme lately.

I don't know about genetic food allergies but there's some evidence of it. The Weston Price/Nourishing Traditions theories are that you are best suited to a diet of your ancestors b/c that is what your body is going to be programmed to digest. I'm Irish/Portuguese, so I guess dairy, grains and fish.
#22 of 313 Old 10-03-2005, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzaluna
another first timer...

my DS and I are pretty healthy - DH has eczema, hayfever, and chronic athlete's foot/jock itch. i keep urging him to see a natural health practicioner about it all, but it's low priority for him. any other starter tips i can give him?

a lot of babies in my mom's group are starting to get allergies, though... makes me sad, and i'm always on the lookout for what they can do to beat the allergies!

we just picked up some raw honey last weekend... i've heard honey is not safe for babies because of botulin spores... but this is local, raw honey.... i would love to give DS a little with apples for rosh hashana, but he's only almost 10 mo. any thoughts on babies and raw honey? ooo, and what about raw milk? i have a source for that too...
Rosemary!

The best thing your husband could do for himself is eat homemade yogurt or kefir everyday. I really like kefir made w/ raw milk b/c you don't have to heat it at all, and all the benefits of raw stay intact. It's easier to make than yogurt too. I use this powder:
http://www.mercola.com/forms/kefir.htm
(It says it makes up to 42 qts. but really you can make 42 gallons or even more by dividing your first batch into other batches and then going seven times from each one. There are 6 envelopes that start a batch.)

But you can get live grains too. http://users.chariot.net.au/~dna/kefirpage.html

Did you know raw honey is good for hay fever? Did I mention this in this thread or another one...

Not sure of the practices for Rosh Hashana, whether it's important to be raw, but you could cook the honey for your babe if you are worried.

Raw milk is excellent and very safe... it's like breastmilk in that it contains immune factors and enzymes and probiotics that destroy harmful bacteria. If the dairy farm is clean and well managed, I think raw milk is one of the best health foods there is.
www.realmilk.org
#23 of 313 Old 10-03-2005, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

Sara

Just saying Hi! I've been wondering how you and Jasmine were doing...
#24 of 313 Old 10-03-2005, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzaluna
we just picked up some raw honey last weekend... i've heard honey is not safe for babies because of botulin spores... but this is local, raw honey....
Neither pasteurized or raw honey is safe for babies under 1 yr old. Pasteurization does not kill the botulism spores anyway, so it doesn't matter whether it's raw or not. A baby's digestive tract is not acidic enough to contain a botulism spore that tries to go active, so they can get botulism from it. Older kids and adults should be acidic enough to handle it. There are health conditions and drugs though - anything that reduces stomach acidity - that make botulism from honey or corn syrup a risk for older kids and adults too.

#25 of 313 Old 10-03-2005, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
Not sure of the practices for Rosh Hashana, whether it's important to be raw, but you could cook the honey for your babe if you are worried.
http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mo...ods.html#honey

Honey has to be cooked at 240 F (in a pressure cooker) for at least 15 minutes to kill botulism spores. They are very heat-resistant.

#26 of 313 Old 10-04-2005, 10:05 AM

ah well, better safe than sorry on the honey... i was hoping people would say that botulism was only found in factory farmed bee honey, or that raw honey has some protective factors against it... but we can wait to next year...

i have yogurt several days per week, and kefir once in a while... perhaps i need to start fixing my dh yogurt snacks more often until he gets addicted one of my favorite snacks is a bowl of plain yogurt with nuts, frozen berries and honey or maple syrup or molasses.

i've known about the honey/hayfever thing for a while, but DH just learned it from me last weekend

i like the idea of making kefir from raw milk! thank you for the links!

Rosemary & Gary :
James 12/04 & Cecelia 4/07
#27 of 313 Old 10-04-2005, 11:38 AM

Quote:
What's a pulpotomy? a root canal? There's lots of warnings about root canals, it's impossible to clean all the hundreds of roots, and infection and cavitations results in most cases. http://www.mercola.com//article/dent...anal/index.htm

Also, I think crowns and the fillings under them can contain amalgam (mercury), it's important to check that everything will be metal free. Are they teeth that really need to be saved?
Jane,

The crowns are stainless steel, and the fillings are all composites. This dentist does not use amalgams.

The teeth do need to be saved. They are her molars, as those will be the last to come out. Two others are her canines, which have deep grooves near the gumline.

Yes, a pulpotomy is a "baby" root canal. Only a portion of the tooth is removed. An "adult" root canal would be removing the root.
At least one is definitely necessary because the cavity has gone down to the gum. The other is most likely, but we will check the dental xrays; those will be done under anesthesia, too.

Quote:
In pulpotomy, all of the coronal pulp tissue is removed from the crown (visible portion of the tooth above the gums) but the pulp tissue in the root canals remain. This is different than pulpectomy in which all of the pulp is removed from both the root canals and crown.
http://www.dentalfind.com/glossary/pulpotomy.html

Thanks for the info you provided. I appreciate all that I can get!

Loon

Loon , dh , dd , and twins ds1 dd2 **Thoughts become things. - Mike Dooley**
#28 of 313 Old 10-04-2005, 05:29 PM

Welcome, new mamas! We are doing remarkably well on the SCD and I have actually convinced two other families to start as they have seen our progress. I met with two other moms this morning that sound like they are going to take the leap as well. It's so exciting to facilitate positive change! I re-introduced carrots and avacados and we are going strong. I am seeing great progress. I also made yogurt for the first time and MAN was that easy! I have no idea why I waited so long. I am liking the diet alot myself, I feel like I'm much more adventurous in the kitchen and I'm making some really yummy things. Last night I made an SCD pecan pie and it was quite good. Totally satisfies my residual sweet cravings! How many mamas have converted their families? Are you doing the diet yourselves or just changing for the kiddos? Dh is starting *officially* today. He has major issues and it was a huge step to get him to start. I won him over finally by telling him it would be cheaper if we were all eating the same thing. Simplifies everything and it's only one meal to have to prepare. Plus, you save alot by eliminating refined stuff. I'm hoping to see lots of progress with him. Then we can be a poster-family for gut health
#29 of 313 Old 10-04-2005, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Just saying Hi! I've been wondering how you and Jasmine were doing...
Hi Jane,

Jasmine has had some kind of cold/crud that seems to be going around here. Her fever got up to 104 and dh said to take her to MD so we did, and one of her ears was infected. They prescribed antibiotics, but luckily she didn't want to take it so dh went along w/ my decision not to give them. So I tried the garlic/mullein ear oil and Hyland's earache tablets, plus took her to a chiro who adjusted her "axis" which was out which can supposedly cause ear infections. She was doing better but today has been pulling on her ears again.. of course, she is teething too... I'm just hoping the mucous clears up soon!

Thanks for asking.
#30 of 313 Old 10-04-2005, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by llp34
http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mo...ods.html#honey

Honey has to be cooked at 240 F (in a pressure cooker) for at least 15 minutes to kill botulism spores. They are very heat-resistant.
Yikes, that's very concerning since the test is that a mature gut has the acid to neutralize it... and we are dealing with damaged guts here.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page