long term Miralax use? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 10-04-2005, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm wondering your opinion on this. My Ds is now 4.5 yrs. He has been on Miralax since he was 10 months. (He was taking 17 grams a day until he was 3+) We have periodicaly tried weaning him off but within days of decreasing to 8 grams(over several weeks) he hurts. We tried all the food remedies early on and his fluid intake is huge. (Very little juice, tons of water) Our Ped. says that food issues do not cause constipation but the opposite. I hate giving meds for such a long time.
Not really sure where to go with it. No one seems concerned but Dh and I.

Any advice or insight would be appriciated.

Just a note, my boys do have some food allergies. Eggs and all nuts.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 10-04-2005, 05:04 PM

Hmmm. Miralax is not habit forming, so I think it must be diet related. My ds1 (6 now) has been on and off Miralax for years now. A few months on a few months off. When he goes off, he has no problems until he starts holding his poop in again. His problem is encopresis, not actual constipation. Do you suspect any other food allergies? It's very possible to have a false negative on an allergy test. My ds is allergic to milk, but has never tested positive. Or pediatric allergist says gastroinestinal symptoms are still allergic reactions and reaction trumps allergy test. Does your son eat/drink a lot of dairy? That would be my first thought. Try cutting out all dairy for 2 weeks and see if that helps at all. Good luck!
#3 of 11 Old 10-05-2005, 06:44 PM

My 2 1/2 yo dd has been on Miralax for the last year or so. Before that she had Milk of Mag since about 9mo. She had pooping problems when she was still exclusively BF. Later on with solids, it got worse. We tried all the diet related fixes too and nothing worked. She's on a half dose once a day and everytime I try to decrease it or wean her off it, it's back to the same old painful poops. Her problem is functional constipation too. She's eating and drinking fine.

I've thought of researching the role of magnesium a bit more but haven't got around to it. I read somewhere that too much calcium can be a problem and the calcium-mag balance can be an issue. I know when you take magnesium it can cause looser stools. If anyone knows anything more, I'd be interested to hear.
#4 of 11 Old 11-09-2005, 11:29 PM

Wondering if anyone has any updated information or stories to share on this topic as we're struggling with this w/our 5 yo. Efforts to wean off this stuff have proven unsuccessful.
#5 of 11 Old 11-10-2005, 10:02 AM

no, we're still using it. dd is nearly 3. We're trying to potty train and I don't want constipation issues interferring with that. Not very encouraging to hear you are still using with 5 and 6 yo's. We've had the same problem with trying to wean off it - she only has to miss one dose and she's constipated and complaining it hurts.
#6 of 11 Old 11-10-2005, 12:32 PM

Miralax isn't approved for use in kids. When I found that out we quit using it for my son's encopresis.

We use chiropractic treatments (without being graphic...he had to use the restroom the second he got off the table and had an accident on the way home). And daily we use flaxseed oil. In large doses. And when needed a high quality acidophilus.

He's been encopresis free for a long time now and without that chemical harsh Miralax. They say it isn't addicting , but my son had the worst time coming off of it. His body had become dependent.
#7 of 11 Old 11-10-2005, 11:04 PM

More on magnesium
http://www.enzymestuff.com/magnesium.htm

If he has allergies, you might consider that as the root cause... that his gut is not working and not breaking down food properly causing "allergies" and poor digestion. I'm appalled at that Ped. For shame.

C'mon over to the Gut Healing Tribe and start reading!
#8 of 11 Old 11-10-2005, 11:23 PM

Thanks for that link on magnesium. We have been dealing with constipation for awhile. My 4 yo has had constipation issues since he started solids. He was prescribed miralax, but had been refusing to drink anything with it in it, and he could taste it in water. We have been using milk of magnesia. We saw the GI this week and he suggested trying magnesium citrate. I think I will use this instead of the miralax and see how he does. My oldest had encopresis and was put on miralax and it has been impossible to wean her off of it. I think I will try the magnesium citrate with her as well. I'm also concerned with long term use of miralax.
#9 of 11 Old 11-11-2005, 11:19 AM

Thanks for the link JaneS - that was really interesting. I suspect some both dd and I have inherited problems with magnesium. I had constipation as a child, have migraines as an adult, get leg cramps if I'm not taking supplements... And there's auto immune disorders in our family too. I eat well and get enough (ie RDA) magnesium in my diet but I think my body doesn't utilize it or absorb it well.

Karry - the GI recommended Magnesium Citrate too! I wonder why the Drs don't recommend those things FIRST before they start babies on stuff like Miralax. Reminds me of when I got migraines during my pregnancies - 1st pregnancy all the Drs could give me was codeine or Fiorocet (contains a barbiturate and caffeine!). during my 2nd pregnancy, I found out taking Mag. and Calcium helps migraines and you know it worked better than the Fiorocet. I still got migraines but they weren't as severe and at least I didn't have to deal with the side effects of the Fiorocet.
#10 of 11 Old 11-11-2005, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombat
Thanks for the link JaneS - that was really interesting. I suspect some both dd and I have inherited problems with magnesium. I had constipation as a child, have migraines as an adult, get leg cramps if I'm not taking supplements... And there's auto immune disorders in our family too. I eat well and get enough (ie RDA) magnesium in my diet but I think my body doesn't utilize it or absorb it well.
Some very interesting things I have learned about mineral absorption lately...

Sugar doesn't have minerals so it has to utilize them for its digestion (thus reducing the amount available to our body as well as leeching them from the bones). As well as reducing your immune system and B vitamin production. Ditto white flour, white rice, etc. Whole, natural sweenteners such as honey, maple syrup, Rapadura, molasses, date sugar, in moderation, do not do this.

Soy and Whole grains which have not been soaked contain phytates... anti nutrients... which block enzyme production as well as mineral absorption.
http://www.westonaprice.org/foodfeatures/be_kind.html

"Nourishing Traditions" by Sally Fallon
#11 of 11 Old 11-22-2005, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

I just had to post hear again with an update. We have taken Ds off dairy now for three weeks. His Miralax use is at the lowest level ever! We have never reduced it down this far without him being in pain. I believe we will have him off it within another week.

I feel so stupid for not doing this before. We asked his ped. allergist and our regular ped. and they both said that dairy allergy would give diarrea rather than constipation.

I just want to thanks all the mamas here. Both Dh and I are so pleased with this simple solution. I can't wait for the day my boys are drug free.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page