Mothering Forum banner

Sodium Ascorbate

73K views 563 replies 154 participants last post by  PuppyLove22 
#1 ·
Where do you buy your Sodium Ascorbate? None of our Health Food Stores carry it - Ascorbic Acid, but no Sodium Ascorbate. I want to lay some up "against the season" so to speak, in case of flu, pertussis, etc. Is there a good place online that I could order from? TIA!

#427 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ejsmama View Post
I looked through both articles (though not thoroughly) and they mostly seemed to mention absorbic acid and not SA. Am I missing something (quite likely)?
Yes!

This was on the very top of the second link:

Quote:
Comment by Robert F. Cathcart, M.D.: This paper repeatedly refers to intravenous ascorbic acid. My personal experience, my talking with Klenner, and with his wife, Annie Klenner, who served as his nurse, would indicate that he means sodium ascorbate. See my article on how to make intravenous C solutions. I am especially indebted to Annie Klenner for her descriptions of how Fred made the intravenous solutions of sodium ascorbate.
But the content of Klenner's work is the point Jane was wanting to get across (I believe).

#428 ·
I just got done reading this whole thread! Do I get an award of some kind?

Doesn't the vitamin C researcher Dr. Cathcart and other pro-vitamin C sites recommend plain AA rather than SA for oral intake?

I notice that in the links in support of SA in this thread, it mainly talks about using it for I.V. use (although Klenner himself used oral SA) rather than orally. I wonder why that is, if it is the superior form?

The only time I saw SA recommended above AA was for allergies and adrenal problems, at least in the limited google searches I did.

#429 ·
Chicharronita, sorry, I don't know the answer to your questions, and I think they are good ones.

I just wanted to add that after much experimentation, I found a way to get my 2 year old to take SA pretty easily. I mix it in strawberry jam. I have been giving him 1/2 teaspoon of SA at a time, in one teaspoon of strawberry jam (the fruit juice-sweetened kind). He also will take it in a teaspoon of honey, but the jam masks the taste even better. As others have posted, it is sometimes really hard to get a child to take SA. This finally worked for me, and I am happy to report that after two days of about 10 grams of SA, his chronically runny nose has ceased running!
Thanks MT, for giving me the idea and the knowledge to back it up.

#430 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by tappahannock View Post
Chicharronita, sorry, I don't know the answer to your questions, and I think they are good ones.
That's okay; thanks for responding. I got a bottle of SA, and took 2 to 3G doses at a time (about 6 to 9G a day) until the bottle was half-empty.

It didn't have the same "punch" as when I take AA, and have gone back to taking AA instead.

I've been thinking about this a lot, especially because I read Kundalini-Mama was taking it before she passed away.

#432 ·
#436 ·
If anyone still reads this post.. I have a question! I went to order some sodium ascorbate online and read the description first that said not to use for those on a sodium restricted diet. Although no one in my family is on a sodium restricted diet, I THOUGHT babies were suppose to stay away from excess salts, sugars ect.. won't that mess with a babies kidneys? My DS is 5.5 months and my parents are coming down in 3 weeks (my mom is always sick so I wanted to get some extra vit c). I no longer BF because of medicine I take so I want to protect my little guy- he just started solids this past week. Anyone know about the sodium thing?

#438 ·
T&D2005 - from what I read (from the links provided in this thread), it is NaCl (table salt) that is harmful to the body, not the pure sodium that is the buffer in Sodium Ascorbate.

This is what I came to understand from reading this thread but would love some confirmation on that...

#439 ·
I don't know if I should post this on the tail end here or start a new thread, but I'll try this first. What do you do at the point where your child does get loose bowels from the sodium ascorbate? I cut it back, but now even a small amount seems to still cause a loose bowel. There's no fever anymore, this is just a cold and cough. But I can still here congestion in there, and can feel it in myself too, so I don't want to just ignore it.
Thanks!

#440 ·
For whatever reason we (DS & I) cannot tolerate sodium ascorbate as our daily version of vitamin C regardless of how small the dosage is either. I'm sure it's because of gut damage/sensitivity. We do either NOW Acerola powder or Tru-C.

While it seems like the jury is out whether small amounts of natural vitamin C truly work like larger doses of the chemical SA or AA compound, it works better for us. I keep meaning to get the liposomal version from LivOn Labs for emergencies as it bypasses the gut totally.

#441 ·
Hello,
I just wanted to let everyone know of my experience regarding high dose Vitamin C. I've been taking anywhere from 4-15 mg a day of sodium ascorbate for the last 3 years, depending on need. This last year I began having problems with my hands--they would get red and swollen throughout the day. I saw several doctors, none of whom could diagnose the problem.

Turns out that I have developed an oxalate problem because Vitamin C can convert to oxalates in the body (similar to what kidney stones are made of, except the oxalates are deposited--and wreak havoc--throughout the body rather than the kidneys).

I found this out because my ASD son has a problem with oxalates, too, and when reading around on the oxalate yahoo group, red hands were mentioned as one (of many) symptoms. I now have to be on a low oxalate diet to encourage my body to dump the excess oxalates. Not fun.

I'm not saying this could happen to everyone; I just wanted to share my experience in case it might apply to others.

Kelly

#445 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ex Libris View Post
Hello,
I just wanted to let everyone know of my experience regarding high dose Vitamin C. I've been taking anywhere from 4-15 mg a day of sodium ascorbate for the last 3 years, depending on need. This last year I began having problems with my hands--they would get red and swollen throughout the day. I saw several doctors, none of whom could diagnose the problem.

Turns out that I have developed an oxalate problem because Vitamin C can convert to oxalates in the body (similar to what kidney stones are made of, except the oxalates are deposited--and wreak havoc--throughout the body rather than the kidneys).

I found this out because my ASD son has a problem with oxalates, too, and when reading around on the oxalate yahoo group, red hands were mentioned as one (of many) symptoms. I now have to be on a low oxalate diet to encourage my body to dump the excess oxalates. Not fun.

I'm not saying this could happen to everyone; I just wanted to share my experience in case it might apply to others.

Kelly
I was wondering if this is due to taking such high doses everyday for years?
did you also take bioflavonoids while you were taking the SA?
was their a particular reason for such high doses everyday? from what I understand, such high doses consistantly are more for the acute stage of something and then you would probably keep a low maintenance dose?
Is this something that is pretty common ?
does anyone know/think this would occur with the natural c like amla or acerola too?
what other factors need to be in place for this to happen??

thank you for sharing this info with us

there is so much still to learn ....

#448 ·
Jeff and I went to bed at 1am Sunday night, thanks to the time change. Trey woke up with a fever at 1:05. I woke up sick at 4, and Belle at 6am. We all three have the flu, we caught it from Jeff when we got home last Wednesday. He was laid out for days, limp as a dishrag.

So this morning before Jeff left for work, he hauled the kid's mattress into the living room in front of the fireplace and he battened down the hatches for a REALLY bad few days. Anyone who knows me knows that normally when I get a bug, I'm laid out for a week and everything falls apart. Jeff normally breezes through being sick, and I'm the one who gets hit with the MAC truck, so I don't mind telling you I was scared of how sick I was about to get since this one had laid him out.

So I drug myself out of bed and headed towards the kitchen. Belle was already laid out on the mattress and Trey wasn't far behind. I read this thread and some others about SA here a while back, and figured I'd give it a try. I mixed us each up a dose of 4 grams of sodium ascorbate, a dose of sambucol, and a dose of Oscillococcinum. Trey and I forced ours down, Belle refused the SA but took the sambucol and oscilio.

In 30 minutes, Trey was up and playing. In an hour, I was able to get up and do laundry and clean the kitchen despite a headache. We've been doing 1 gram every 2 hours since then, and I feel ok. I'm able to function even though I'm not 100%. Belle refused to take the SA. She's still laid out on the mattress, and not able to get up and go to the toilet without help, she's so weak. I did manage to get about 3 grams into her over several hours since then, but she didn't get the loading dose, and that seems to be what made a huge difference with me and Trey. Her nose is pouring and she can't eat. She's better today, but still laid out. Next time, I won't give her the choice of whether she takes it or not.

It took 10 grams to hit bowel tolerance for me, and that didn't happen until well into the evening. I'm going to try to consume 9 grams through the day and see if that keeps me from having diarrhea from it.

So now I'm a major believer in what I've read about SA getting you over illness quickly. I went and ordered more to have on hand. We're going to stay on all three for a few days to make sure this is over with. I'm using the baking soda and AA mix until it arrives. our local HFS didn't have the SA.

We were exposed to chicken pox last week, so now we're waiting to see if we get the pox, too. If the kids do get it, we'll use SA during that time, too. I'm hoping it will reduce the duration and severity for them.

#449 ·
oh my this thread is long.

quick one, i posted about Vit C & vax, we will be starting to vax DS at 6 months, he is now 9 weeks, EBF and will be for a while.

I read and someone posted about the Dr Sears book about dosing up babies prior to vax. my midwife mentioned to give him 3000mg, which seems excessive. he is a healthy boy, so i am thinking if breastmilk is going to be enough or should i give him a tiny bit of SA prior and a few days after the vax?

thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.