Sodium Ascorbate - Page 19 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#541 of 564 Old 10-27-2009, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here's a little bit about it. Read the whole article for more information.

http://www.greatplainslaboratory.com...g/oxalates.asp

Quote:
Evaluate vitamin C intake. Vitamin C can break down to form oxalates. However, in adults, the amount of oxalate formed did not increase until the amount exceeded 4 g of vitamin C per day (27). A large study of more than 85,000 women found no relation betwen vitamin C intake and kidney stones (28). In addition, an evaluation of 100 children on the autistic spectrum at The Great Plains Laboratory revealed that there was nearly zero correlation between vitamin C and oxalates in the urine (Table 2). Megadoses (more than 100 mg/Kg body weight per day) of vitamin C were shown to markedly reduce autistic symptoms in a double blind placebo controlled study (29) so any restriction of vitamin C needs to be carefully weighed against its significant benefits.

The Most Important Person on earth is a mother...She has built something more magnificent than any cathedral-a dwelling for an immortal soul, the tiny perfection of her baby's bodyâ¦-Cardinal Mindszenty
#542 of 564 Old 10-27-2009, 02:47 PM
WCM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New_Natural_Mom View Post
I have seen people say Emergen-C is bad, but it is easy for me, so I take it. Why is it bad? Aren't all the other things in it bioflavanoids?

If not, where can I get bioflavanoids?

I've not heard that EmergeC is bad, only that it is a costly way of getting your SA. But it works for us. DS loves the taste, so he makes up his own emerC water bottle each day, while DD's, who hate the taste, chew on Natural factors chewable C for kids, and i make up my own capsules of NOW powdered C.

April's recent info about how AA is better than SA has me boggled. I know this thread is mega, but I have read it all (over 5 days) and hope the discussion continues. Right now I'm off to read the swine flu forum.

Passionate posts = oodles of typos
#543 of 564 Old 11-09-2009, 10:46 PM

Hi AprilM,
I haven't been on MDC for awhile now and thought I'd check in, and I have to say this gave me a good laugh. I continue to battle with oxalate accumulation from high dose SA and probably will for life. The poster who mentioned the oxalate-yeast connection is correct; I no doubt had some yeast issues since I'd taken two rounds of antibiotics in the years before taking SA, which made me susceptible to accumulation. But oxalate conversion from vitamin C happens in all of us, and the process by which our bodies deal with the excess oxalates is complicated.

Oxalates are toxins, and they build up over time, so you wouldn't know the extent to which you're accumulating them in your tissues until it's too late. I wish I'd known this sooner, but, I've learned to be much more careful about what I put into my body. Nature's balance is so easily upset.

If you want to know more about the science behind oxalates, I urge you and anyone else to join the Yahoo group Trying Low Oxalates or look at this website: http://lowoxalate.info/index.html. You'll find more about the oxalate/vitamin C connection in the archives of the yahoo group. Just do an advanced search for "vitamin C" and "Susan Owens" (she's the scientist/researcher who has made the study of oxalates her life's work).

Take care,
Kelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilM View Post
I then asked about possible problems with oxilates (as someone in this thread ...I believe it was Ex Libris...could be wrong about that experienced problems due to daily vitamin C intake) and I wasn't happy about Dr. Fonoro's reply. He thought that the poster (Ex Libris) might have been a 'plant' of some sort just making up that story....I don't believe that AT ALL by the way.... and am confused as to why he would even say such a thing...
#544 of 564 Old 11-30-2009, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
#545 of 564 Old 11-30-2009, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Hi AprilM,
I haven't been on MDC for awhile now and thought I'd check in, and I have to say this gave me a good laugh. I continue to battle with oxalate accumulation from high dose SA and probably will for life. The poster who mentioned the oxalate-yeast connection is correct; I no doubt had some yeast issues since I'd taken two rounds of antibiotics in the years before taking SA, which made me susceptible to accumulation. But oxalate conversion from vitamin C happens in all of us, and the process by which our bodies deal with the excess oxalates is complicated.

Oxalates are toxins, and they build up over time, so you wouldn't know the extent to which you're accumulating them in your tissues until it's too late. I wish I'd known this sooner, but, I've learned to be much more careful about what I put into my body. Nature's balance is so easily upset.

If you want to know more about the science behind oxalates, I urge you and anyone else to join the Yahoo group Trying Low Oxalates or look at this website: http://lowoxalate.info/index.html. You'll find more about the oxalate/vitamin C connection in the archives of the yahoo group. Just do an advanced search for "vitamin C" and "Susan Owens" (she's the scientist/researcher who has made the study of oxalates her life's work).

Take care,
Kelly
Hi Kelly,
Thanks for the link and the info. I didn't mean to offend you by posting that, like I said in my original post, I didn't agree with the 'plant' comment, and I never once doubted that you were telling the truth. I am sorry that you have to deal with this oxylate issue.

If you don't mind me asking, what were your first symptoms? And how did the doctors finally figure out that the problem was from SA?

April

FEAR- Emergency Scriptures That Come To Your Rescue During Times Of Fear, Worry, and Anxiety For Your Kindle

#546 of 564 Old 12-01-2009, 01:43 AM

WOW! this is a monster of a thread. don't have time to read all of the posts but I did get to some. It appears that people are gravitating towards SA becasue it provides a buffer which makes perfect sense.
I took the emergen-c packets for many years until I discovered a product by "solaray" in capsule form that was derived from amla fruit (i believe highest vit.c containing fruit) it was great until I was no longer able to find the product.
A couple of years ago I found "Truly Natural Vitamin C" by Health Force and since I already love their vitamineral green food supplement I knew that it too was a superior product.

http://www.healthforce.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=65

it is totally derived from food, acerola cherry ( i believe is 2nd in highest vit.c containg food) it is in powder form and as easy to take as any other powdered vit.c
this is the difference I notice: when taking emergen-c I would have to take a good many 1,000 mg. packs a day to reach bowel intolerance which equals many grams a day, with the healthforce product dosage is 1.5 tsp. just to get 250 mg. so I am taking many teaspoons during the day, HOWEVER, I do feel that my body absorbs more of it. I get to bowel intolerance (if thats the goal, or just before) with less.

for anyone looking for a buffered natural vit.c that is easy to take I HIGHLY reccomend this. It does not taste that bad either kind of like a mellow choke cherry taste.

DD 12/10/04 homebirth.jpg & DS 7/25/08 h20homebirth.gif

#547 of 564 Old 12-29-2010, 01:17 PM

Does anyone know of a sodium ascorbate brand that is dairy-free/lactose-free?  My son has multiple food allergies.

#548 of 564 Old 12-29-2010, 03:54 PM

i use the Now brand, have a reaction to all dairy (allergic-type), and do not react to even several grams of their sodium ascorbate.

#549 of 564 Old 12-30-2010, 06:56 AM

I used to use the NOW brand but have discovered that their SA is derived from genetically modified corn! So No thanks! I have switched to Nutribiotic brand that is allergy friendly (my son is no dairy, no gluten, no soy etc...) I confirmed that it is not GM sourced.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#550 of 564 Old 12-30-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post

I used to use the NOW brand but have discovered that their SA is derived from genetically modified corn! So No thanks! I have switched to Nutribiotic brand that is allergy friendly (my son is no dairy, no gluten, no soy etc...) I confirmed that it is not GM sourced.

holy carp! i guess i won't be using them again! jeesh! yikes2.gif

#551 of 564 Old 01-12-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momtezuma Tuatara View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathe
Hullo -- reviving this thread now that we're in the midst of cold and flu season (at least on this side of the world!).

I just skimmed the whole thread and can't find a recommended dosage for little peeps. I have a 32 lb 4 yo and a 24 lb 15 mos old (so close in weight, but not sure if the ages are important). How much S.A. should they be getting?
It depends on the child. I start at 250 mg per kg of body weight.

1 kg = 2.2 pounds. so your 32 lb one, is 14.5 kgs, x 250 mgs = 3,636 mgs over waking hours.

24 lbs divided by 2.2= 9.9 x 250 = 2,475 mgs over waking hours. Obviously I don't worry about exact numbers. 1,000 mgs = 1/4 level tsp. so I eyeball it from there.

If that doesn't bring results, I up the dose.

Our youngest needs almost double the dose the oldest needs.

Quote:
and don't you think Vit C is a great natural antihistimine? Ped here is rx'ing daily Claritin for ds1's likely dust mite allergies, which then lead to frequent (okay, let's say CONSTANT) colds and viruses.

Am hoping MT is still around and reading . . .
For my husband it certainly is. He was able to drop all antihistamine medication once he got onto a decent dose of vitamin c.

OMG! OMG! Seriously? Seriously. My children have about a billion food allergies, and several environmental allergies. When they take Emergen C (1000mg) they have basically no reaction. Are you telling me that maybe "allergy", for my kids, is just a Vit C deficiency, like 40x less than what they should be having in a day? My mind is blown. Now I've got 20 more pages to read and hopefully people expand more.

FAs, co-sleeping, babywearing, extended nursing, positive parenting, homeschooler

#552 of 564 Old 01-12-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbyraja View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momtezuma Tuatara View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathe
Hullo -- reviving this thread now that we're in the midst of cold and flu season (at least on this side of the world!).

I just skimmed the whole thread and can't find a recommended dosage for little peeps. I have a 32 lb 4 yo and a 24 lb 15 mos old (so close in weight, but not sure if the ages are important). How much S.A. should they be getting?
It depends on the child. I start at 250 mg per kg of body weight.

1 kg = 2.2 pounds. so your 32 lb one, is 14.5 kgs, x 250 mgs = 3,636 mgs over waking hours.

24 lbs divided by 2.2= 9.9 x 250 = 2,475 mgs over waking hours. Obviously I don't worry about exact numbers. 1,000 mgs = 1/4 level tsp. so I eyeball it from there.

If that doesn't bring results, I up the dose.

Our youngest needs almost double the dose the oldest needs.

Quote:
and don't you think Vit C is a great natural antihistimine? Ped here is rx'ing daily Claritin for ds1's likely dust mite allergies, which then lead to frequent (okay, let's say CONSTANT) colds and viruses.

Am hoping MT is still around and reading . . .
For my husband it certainly is. He was able to drop all antihistamine medication once he got onto a decent dose of vitamin c.

OMG! OMG! Seriously? Seriously. My children have about a billion food allergies, and several environmental allergies. When they take Emergen C (1000mg) they have basically no reaction. Are you telling me that maybe "allergy", for my kids, is just a Vit C deficiency, like 40x less than what they should be having in a day? My mind is blown. Now I've got 20 more pages to read and hopefully people expand more.

IME, it's not just a vit C deficiency, but now that I'm healthier, I can take extra vit C and extra methylation things (mostly extra B12 for me, I take a steady amount of folate and that seems okay) and my enviro allergies get better. 

Histamine is cleared via methylation, so if you're low on stuff needed to make methyl groups (like folate and B12), you'll end up higher in histamine, and then if your allergen shows up (the cedar pollen blew into town a few days ago, so I got to play with this) you'll react more.  For me--my methylation was really behind, and I think a few years ago it would've been harder to make an impact just with these supps, but now I can make the itchy ears and mouth go away pretty quickly. 

Don't know if you saw the study that got some mainstream attention a while back--likelihood of IgE allergies is higher when blood folate levels are lower, and folate's a big player in methylation.  And some people need more folate than others.  The news articles I read didn't make all the connections, but this is part of it. 

Also, the 250 mg/kg is a when-sick dosing, MT said 50 mg/kg when healthy.  But for my kids, they needed more than that, and probably (I never tracked it closely enough) when they got one of the foods they were intolerant of, it probably would've gone up more. 

#553 of 564 Old 01-13-2011, 06:32 PM

Yes, the more I read (I finally made it through) the more I realized it's not the cause, but maybe another piece in the puzzle. A step toward healing us. Excellent read! I've got a lot more books on hold at the library due to this thread. Our reactions are IgG. I'm really beginning to think that "allergies" are like "IBS". They don't REALLY know much about them at all, they all have different causes, and there are different types lumped together. I have to find the key for us... Now I'm off to read the immunity thread, then chelating mamas!

FAs, co-sleeping, babywearing, extended nursing, positive parenting, homeschooler

#554 of 564 Old 01-13-2011, 07:47 PM

Oh, so that's what I would call food intolerances.  Ours are all intolerances too, and DS's reactions definitely go up and down based on how his detoxification is running.  VitC helps, methylation support, a lot of nutritional support over time has helped--I mean, it's not just "start pills and 2 weeks later, you can see a difference" but over longer stretches of time, I can see distinct differences.  Other stuff is going on that caused them, at least I think so, but at least I can give DS more tolerance of some of this stuff, and then he feels better so he behaves better and is easier to parent. 

#555 of 564 Old 01-14-2011, 05:21 AM

Me, too. I can do a search of the forums on methylation, but if you have a really great thread in mind on this topic, will you please link me? I'm sure my toxic mouth has had a profound effect on my kids, along with the lack of TF/probiotics in my family.

#556 of 564 Old 01-14-2011, 06:35 AM

Quote:

Me, too. I can do a search of the forums on methylation, but if you have a really great thread in mind on this topic, will you please link me? I'm sure my toxic mouth has had a profound effect on my kids, along with the lack of TF/probiotics in my family.

I don't think we have just one thread, but if you aren't already, come hang out in Allergies.  We're finding interesting overlaps, even with different root causes, that are helping in improving our health and/or our kids' health, and reducing their sensitivities to foods, stuff like that.  The general topic of detoxification, and the nutrients that are needed to get the work done, and how/why we seem to be low (our kids because they grew in us, oftentimes us because we grew in our moms, etc), and what the genetic variants that exist that mean some people need more of various nutrients, has been a topic for, well, over a year now. 

#557 of 564 Old 01-15-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:

Now I'm off to read the immunity thread, then chelating mamas!

Could you please provide the link to the immunity thread?

TIA

Joanna WAHM to DS 10/2007
You must be the change you wish to see - Ghandi
#558 of 564 Old 01-15-2011, 05:11 PM

I had to dig through the archives to find it. 2006 was SO long ago!  http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/406983/nutrition-immunology-101-sticky-please

#559 of 564 Old 01-15-2011, 07:07 PM

thanks a lot smile.gif

Joanna WAHM to DS 10/2007
You must be the change you wish to see - Ghandi
#560 of 564 Old 10-26-2011, 07:02 PM

ANyone know off-hand what the highest amounts you can take bf-ing? baby benefits from it correct? I am at around 3,000mg for preventative this season, havent noticed anything to speak of in my three month old. I have never hit my own "limit" yet either.

#561 of 564 Old 12-17-2011, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I usually can take 1 1/2 tablespoons and it puts me at the intolerant level, and my 4 month old gets pretty gassy and poos more. Later in the day if any of my nurslings are sick, I take an extra teaspoon if I feel it wearing off. Hope this helps:)

Mama to oneone, and a brand new!
#562 of 564 Old 01-28-2012, 06:48 PM

Question for you vitamin C pros =) My (almost 5 yr old) daughter is having surgery in 3 days to have her tonsils and adenoids removed. I want to give her SA after surgery to speed healing. WIll it burn her throat? Is there a juice I can give it to her in that will not bother her throat? 

Also, I have a dog with severe allergies. To pretty much everything. I am thinking of starting him on some kind of high dose fit c therapy. Sodium isn't good for dogs, normally, does anyone have any good info or ideas on Vit c and dogs? 

TIA

hippie.gifreading.gif dog2.gifTrainer/Lover, AP belly.gif mama to DD energy.gif3/07, wife to jammin.gif and expecting a little boy late May/early June 2012 h20homebirth.gif

We're a  saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif femalesling.GIF bftoddler.gif familybed1.gif kinda family <3

#563 of 564 Old 01-30-2012, 09:48 AM

bump for help please =)

hippie.gifreading.gif dog2.gifTrainer/Lover, AP belly.gif mama to DD energy.gif3/07, wife to jammin.gif and expecting a little boy late May/early June 2012 h20homebirth.gif

We're a  saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif femalesling.GIF bftoddler.gif familybed1.gif kinda family <3

#564 of 564 Old 01-30-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppyLove22 View Post

Question for you vitamin C pros =) My (almost 5 yr old) daughter is having surgery in 3 days to have her tonsils and adenoids removed. I want to give her SA after surgery to speed healing. WIll it burn her throat? Is there a juice I can give it to her in that will not bother her throat? 

Also, I have a dog with severe allergies. To pretty much everything. I am thinking of starting him on some kind of high dose fit c therapy. Sodium isn't good for dogs, normally, does anyone have any good info or ideas on Vit c and dogs? 

TIA

Nevermind on the sodium question...read through more of the thread and got the answer on that. oops...blush.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page