Sodium Ascorbate - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 564 Old 09-07-2006, 04:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kundalini-Mama
Question, I've been doing some research on bioflavonoids and I'm finding that they are abundant in citrus. Well, we take our SA in organic OJ once a day (or a bunch of small doses throughout the day if we are fighting something), so would that provide the 1:5 ratio needed of bio:SA?
I don't know if someone has already answered this, but I thought I'd reply anyway. I am pretty sure that bioflavonoids are in the white part of the skin of citrus fruit, not in the juice. So drinking OJ won't provide any bioflavonoids.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#242 of 564 Old 09-07-2006, 05:27 PM

Yup.

“I want to sell drugs to everyone. I want to sell drugs to healthy people. I want drugs to sell like chewing gum.” former Merck CEO, Henry Gadsden

#243 of 564 Old 09-10-2006, 06:00 AM

This thread is fascinating!!! I'm so glad MT is here to explain everything to us--especially to those of us who are new on our journey!!

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#244 of 564 Old 09-10-2006, 07:53 AM

You don't need me. Scour second hand book shops for books on vitamin C, and read everything you can get your hands on, then you will know the answers anyway...

“I want to sell drugs to everyone. I want to sell drugs to healthy people. I want drugs to sell like chewing gum.” former Merck CEO, Henry Gadsden

#245 of 564 Old 09-11-2006, 05:04 AM

My brain hurts.
#246 of 564 Old 09-22-2006, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momtezuma Tuatara
Try chinese herbal remedies, then you will REALLY know what disgusting is.
My teas always tasted like gutter water. My mom's OMG smelled awful. She got prunes to sweeten the mix but I don't think it made a difference.
#247 of 564 Old 09-24-2006, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yin Yang View Post
I don't know if someone has already answered this, but I thought I'd reply anyway. I am pretty sure that bioflavonoids are in the white part of the skin of citrus fruit, not in the juice. So drinking OJ won't provide any bioflavonoids.
So can we just eat the white stuff?
*Off to start reading the huge nutrition 101 thread.*
#248 of 564 Old 09-24-2006, 08:04 PM

technically you can eat any part of an orange or citrus fruits, my brother eats lemons like apples (i know....gross). But it can be bitter.
#249 of 564 Old 09-25-2006, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by romans_mum View Post
technically you can eat any part of an orange or citrus fruits, my brother eats lemons like apples (i know....gross). But it can be bitter.
I wish, but here it seems all citrus fruits come with a layer of wax. : At least in the supermarket they do.
#250 of 564 Old 09-25-2006, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Isabel View Post
So can we just eat the white stuff?
*Off to start reading the huge nutrition 101 thread.*
Yes. I do.

And you can make a muffic recipe that makes a liquid base mix of oil(1/4 cup) , molasses (2 tbsps ~ ours is blackstrap, much stronger than USA...), (1/2 cup liquid h) honey, 1 egg, 1 large banana, and 1 orange skin and all... but not the pips. You blend that until thick and creamy then add dry ingreds= 3 cups bran, 1 cup wholewheat flours, 1 cup raisins (My kids hate raisins, so I leave them out) 1/2 cup wheat germ, 2 tsps baking powder, 2 tsps baking soda, and sometimes I add cinnamon.

12-18 muffins, well greased, better still lined. They can stick. 375 o F, 15 - 20 mins until firm to touch. If not lining, let cool a bit in the tins, or they might not come out well...

I defy anyone to be constipated after some of them.

#251 of 564 Old 09-25-2006, 08:32 AM

I have been using SA for a good while now but when I use it on my youngest who is 5 she always gets irritated in her private region. it will burn when she pees and her skin get real red. Have any of you had this problem at all.
thanks
amy
#252 of 564 Old 09-25-2006, 11:47 PM

Are you using non-corn, non-GMO SA? If it doesn't say so, it's probably corn-derived, and GMO. Some people have problems with corn-based products, and would have a problem with SA because of that. Nutribiotic makes one that is corn-free and non-GMO.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#253 of 564 Old 09-25-2006, 11:51 PM

do you have a link for them, I can't eat corn.
#254 of 564 Old 09-25-2006, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Isabel View Post
I wish, but here it seems all citrus fruits come with a layer of wax. : At least in the supermarket they do.
yeah, that does play a factor........he used to pick them straight off the tree in the backyard (much to my mothers dismay, because she always tryed to save them for her lemon drink when she had a cold).
#255 of 564 Old 09-26-2006, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy974 View Post
I have been using SA for a good while now but when I use it on my youngest who is 5 she always gets irritated in her private region. it will burn when she pees and her skin get real red. Have any of you had this problem at all.
thanks
amy
Yes, I've know two kids have this problem. I'm not sure why. Normally you only see this when ascorbic acid is used. What's she like if you give small doses with a meal?

#256 of 564 Old 09-26-2006, 09:54 AM

it doesnt seem to matter how much I give her and how it is given. Usually by the next morning her privates are sore and soon as I discontinue useing it it takes her a day to clear up.

I am using the NOW brand of sodium ascorbate could it be the brand?
This one says Vegetarian formula I dont see the Non GMO on it
thanks
amy
#257 of 564 Old 09-26-2006, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookietooth View Post
Are you using non-corn, non-GMO SA? If it doesn't say so, it's probably corn-derived, and GMO. Some people have problems with corn-based products, and would have a problem with SA because of that. Nutribiotic makes one that is corn-free and non-GMO.
What part of SA is corn-derived? The sodium or the ascorbic acid?
Or are there any other additives in it?
I am also using NOW brand.
#258 of 564 Old 09-26-2006, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momtezuma Tuatara View Post
2) Vested interests come into play, and convenience. Many people, even in the natural remedy field, like expensive looking "hip" tablets in the shapes of bears, crocodiles, snakes or whatever, to make it more "fun" for kids to take and parents to give. I mean, if you are out in your SUV with Doc Martens, and the latest pram, who wants to be dealing with something as basic as powder?

so true!
you're too funny!
I thought only the ancient egyptians used powdered forms
#259 of 564 Old 09-27-2006, 12:13 AM

romans mum, here's the link for nutribiotic: http://www.nutribiotic.com/ (they make GSE too). I think it's the ascorbic acid that is corn derived. It's one of those allergy things they don't always tell you.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#260 of 564 Old 09-27-2006, 12:29 AM

thanks
#261 of 564 Old 09-27-2006, 10:06 AM

I asked for sodium ascorbate today at the pharmacy and at the health food store. All I got was the "she must be " look twice. And the guy at the pharmacy looked sodium ascorbate up and said it's not produced (or isn't sold, can't remember) where I live.

How bad is the asc. acid if I always salt my food anyway?
#262 of 564 Old 09-27-2006, 10:36 AM

i went to my health food store, and (as suspected), they didn't have it. they're going to call me today about whether they can order it or not.

my question is:
if sodium ascorbate is so much better, why don't even the health foods stores know about it/carry it? they only had calcium ascorbate and ascorbic acid, and the guy seemed confused when i was asking him about it.
#263 of 564 Old 09-27-2006, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judahsmommy View Post
i went to my health food store, and (as suspected), they didn't have it. they're going to call me today about whether they can order it or not.

my question is:
if sodium ascorbate is so much better, why don't even the health foods stores know about it/carry it? they only had calcium ascorbate and ascorbic acid, and the guy seemed confused when i was asking him about it.
my opinion would be that they only carry the products people actually buy. Not necesarilly what's good for you.
#264 of 564 Old 09-27-2006, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yin Yang View Post
my opinion would be that they only carry the products people actually buy. Not necesarilly what's good for you.
: Nobody around here (near Seattle) sells it either... the lady at the store was very helpful though I told her all about SA and she's going to be ordering some online too (and is amazed that it's not sold in stores...).

love and peace.

mama to two girls and due in November!
: Circumcision can never be undone :
#265 of 564 Old 09-27-2006, 03:32 PM

the SA is better absorbed i think..... its best to order it online or by phone. Most places dont sell it, like the pp said, only what people buy and SA isnt something everyone is rushing in to get.
#266 of 564 Old 09-27-2006, 09:30 PM

But WHY? I think that is the question... Why don't the health food stores of all places know it is better? Ours doesn't sell it either. I bought mine online (like the rest of us here) which is fine - I don't mind ordering it, but I am curious as to why the health food stores don't know to carry it.

Hmm.
#267 of 564 Old 09-27-2006, 10:49 PM

Because health food stores are as "amenable" to the prattle of salespeople as anyone else. They want the latest, and greatest, and are as gullible as the rest of the populace. I've explained it till I'm blue in the face, and given them all the texts, but... the eyes just glaze over, and then you get "but its what the customer wants..."

So you have all the problems that any "system" brings with it. There is as much snake oil purveyance in the natural health movement, as there is in the allopathic drug-pushers system.

#268 of 564 Old 09-28-2006, 12:14 AM
Spy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momtezuma Tuatara View Post
I've explained it till I'm blue in the face, and given them all the texts, but... the eyes just glaze over, and then you get "but its what the customer wants..."
Wouldn't you and the rest of the SA seekers be a part of the customer?? Or is it a theoretical customer who doesn't exist in nature, up there with herd immunity and the health and well being of the population, that is supposed to improve from making individuals less healthy? :
#269 of 564 Old 09-28-2006, 05:13 AM

And wouldn't people buy it if they had it? HFS have a bunch of products I have no idea what they're for exactly, and then they have a bunch of leaflets for many of the product lines.
If the stores had SA and the sellers told the customers that it's just a different form of Vit C that is more easily absorbed by the body people should buy it, no?
#270 of 564 Old 09-28-2006, 12:00 PM

Well, actually, I wouldn't buy it if Health Food Stores had it, because their mark up is so high. Why should I pay 124.00 for a kilo, when I can get it for 64.00 somewhere else?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page