migraines - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-27-2002, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My sister suffers from migraines that often times take her to the emergency room. Actually SIL, just married my younger brother. She is such a sweet person, and I get the impression that she doesn't want anyone to know how much she is suffering. I want to help her, and knew this could be a great resource.
She has seen a number of doctors who prescribe one pain killer after another.
They just treat the problem, and don't even bother trying to find the cause! Sometimes modern medicine gives me so much anxiety and grief, I could just write a book on it!!

Do any of you know of a homeopathic approach to migraines? Or dietary triggers, allergies maybe?
Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Ella
#2 of 6 Old 12-27-2002, 09:34 PM

May I suggest that she go to a cranial sacral therapist? I have not had a migrain since going to mine.

www.upledger.com to find a practicioner in her area.
#3 of 6 Old 12-28-2002, 01:50 AM

I know somebody who used Feverfew as a homeopathic remedy. She had a plant in her house and ate a leaf or two a day and it dramatically reduced the frequency and severity of her migraines.

Before you were conceived, I wanted you. Before you were born I loved you. Before you were a minute old, I would have died for you. That is the miracle of life. ~Maureen Hawkins~
#4 of 6 Old 12-28-2002, 01:58 PM

A homeopath can work wonders, but she has to go herself as migraines like everything else are highly individual matters and what works for one person won't work for another.Mine are related to digestion, my homeopath gave me something for that and i stopped having them until i got too lazy to keep up with taking the remedies and then I got laid up over christmas!!
#5 of 6 Old 12-28-2002, 03:01 PM

Some common triggers are yellow cheese, red wine, chocolate, oranges, bananas, sun light, floresent lighting, and the biggie for me is MSG (monosodium glutimate)- MSG is found in prepackaged foods at an alarming rate, it is also in many seasoning salts and of course lots of Chinese foods ( although many of the better Chinese restaurants are now serving MSG-free food). I also recently found another trigger for myself that is perhaps not so common-- ceiling fans that are a different color than the ceiling (only when running of course!!).
There are more common triggers but these are the ones that I remember off the top of my head.
Hope this helps.

fizzymom and the clan
#6 of 6 Old 12-30-2002, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
The combination of aspirin or ibuprofen with caffeine is as effective as any of the fancy prescription drugs for most migraine sufferers. Whether it is a SAFER choice depends on individual health history--some people's digestive problems make aspirin a bad choice, whereas Imitrex (one of the most popular Rx migraine drugs) causes sudden death in people with a particular heart condition.... As in most situations, it's worthwhile to look up every new Rx in Physician's Desk Reference at your local library!!

The frustrating thing about migraines is that their triggers are highly individualized: could be virtually any aspect of diet, alcohol use, sleeping habits, hormone levels, fumes (one of my best friends has severe migraines triggered by a particular chemical used in most colognes and aftershaves), lighting conditions, exercise, etc., etc. SIL should keep a diary noting everything that felt like it might have been a trigger, or at minimum should note the dates of migraines on her calendar along w/notes of her cycle and other major life events.

Another thing that may be helpful is identifying the prodrome. Many (but not all) migraine sufferers experience non-painful preliminary symptoms that indicate a migraine is approaching. These typically involve cold or tingling sensations, visual disturbances, food cravings, nausea, and/or a strange perceptual state like a sense of unreality or nonspecific anxiety. Medication is much more effective when taken during the prodrome than if you wait until the head pain begins.

Good luck and to your SIL!

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page