Acne and breastfeeding - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-11-2005, 04:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is it normal to have acne while breastfeeding? I used to have a mild acne that would appear a week before my period, then got pregnant and my complexion got brilliant. During pregnancy I glowed, no nothing on my face. I think 6 months postpartum, when my period came back, I started having problems with acne again. But now, dd is 20 months, I have it all the time on my forehead and it is more intense than it ever used to be.

So is this hormones? Is there anything I can do about it using natural methods? I am still nursing and planning another pregnancy, maybe that will take care of it .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 10-11-2005, 03:39 PM

:

I've been getting this too. Never had it since teenage-hood - until now.
#3 of 4 Old 10-11-2005, 04:45 PM

I had terrible acne as a teenager and young adult and had it mostly under control all through my twenties. Then my skin loved pregnancy, I never had so much confidence in all my life, I was totally glowing.

Now I am back to horrible cystic zits, meaning big ol ones, on my jaw line and neck. I went off the mini pill to see if that would help and it didn't, so I am back on cause I am paranoid of another pregnancy and its the most reliable bc method for me. I looked up acne medications and breastfeeding and most topical prescriptions are okay to use, if I am remembering right. I checked out kellymom awhile back. I think it would be best to use an antibiotic topically than orally if it works. I have just been reluctant to go to the dermotologist cause nothing ever worked for me when I was younger so I am doubtful it would work now. There have been threads on natural alternatives, I think there is a long one in the Teen section if you search there. I have heard good things about proactiv but its expensive and it appears to be just benzoyl peroxide which doesn't work well for me on its own.

I use St Ives Apricot scrub and Aveda exfolient (its spendy but lasts a long time). Both of these remove the dead skin cells that clog me up. That is the best routine I have found. Benzoyl dries me up too much in the over the counter creams.

One prescription that used to work for me was Benzo-mycin. Benzoyl perozide and erthromycin combined in a topical cream. I might try that again sometime soon. It kept things under control but not quite great.

I don't know if its related to breastfeeding as I have always been afflicted with acne but it would make sense in terms of hormone changes.
#4 of 4 Old 10-11-2005, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks a lot.

KateMary, I also use St Ives Apricot scrub as it seems to help a little.

I used ProActiv in the past and it worked if I used it on regular basis. Now, I am just not sure I want to spend that much for it, especially that I would prefer to use something more natural. I will look into a teen forum, thanks!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page