Diva cup/keeper/instead cup questions - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 10-11-2005, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm really interested in this instead of tampons. I started using Instead when I was ttc, and had a whole big box left over. So now that I have AF again, I've been using them. The problem I've noticed, and I wonder if anyone else has this problem, is that even though I can't exactly feel them when they're in, the pressure seems to make my cramping worse the first day or two. Also, I have a really light flow (I'm on the pill) and it seems that after the first couple of days, the dryness makes them uncomfortable to insert and remove. Does this mean the Diva or Keeper would be similar for me? If so, I probably don't want to invest the money. But I was thinking the Diva looks a little softer and more comfortable. Experiences? Thoughts?
#2 of 27 Old 10-11-2005, 10:07 PM

What is Instead?
#3 of 27 Old 10-11-2005, 10:18 PM

I have no idea what "Instead" is, but I have used a Diva cup for over two years now and I love it! It is soft silicone, I never feel it.
#4 of 27 Old 10-11-2005, 10:19 PM

I just started using a Diva Cup yesterday and so far it's going quite well! ...off to see if Google will tell me what Instead is.
#5 of 27 Old 10-11-2005, 10:24 PM

Ok, I found this link: http://www.mum.org/KeeperInsteadpic.htm Judging by the side-by-side picture, it looks like Instead is pretty wide. I have to say, it looks like a pain to use. I wouldn't doubt that it's possible to have pressure "issues". Maybe someone here has used both.
#6 of 27 Old 10-11-2005, 10:27 PM

I use the Diva cup and love it. I tried Instead years ago and they never worked well for me. When I empty it I always leave it wet to be inserted as the instructions suggest. It helps make it slide easier. My periods immediately became shorter after switching from tampons to the Diva cup and my cramps diminished by at least half. It astounded me. I am currently hoping I don't need it this month as I have done AI and am hoping to be pregnant, but I will be using it whenever I have af again.
#7 of 27 Old 10-11-2005, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleurae
My periods immediately became shorter after switching from tampons to the Diva cup and my cramps diminished by at least half. It astounded me.
I noticed that this time too. Until this month, I have been using pads. Not disposables either. I have been using organic cotton cloth pads. I read something about the expansion of the vaginal walls attributing to the shorter flow. As for the reduction in cramping, I have no clue, but it has been seriously reduced this time. I am interested to know if anyone know why.
#8 of 27 Old 10-11-2005, 10:35 PM

bluerae, I am sorry I clicked too fast! I hope you don't have to use your cup!!!!
#9 of 27 Old 10-11-2005, 10:43 PM

I have a keeper, I've had it for maybe 5 months and so far I find it okay but don't love it. I get the same effect where after a couple of days the dryness makes it a little uncomfortable. And I can definitely feel it when it's in. So I use cloth pads and just use the cup on the heaviest 2 days. It may be that I'm just not using it quite right yet, or that I should try a diva cup instead. Pooh, it's annoying to think I spent the money on the wrong one!
#10 of 27 Old 10-11-2005, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

The Instead cup is a disposable cup, the rim is made of a thicker flexible plastic, and the cup part is made of a thinner plastic wrap type material. You sort of fold the cup before you insert it, much like a diaphragm. In fact, it looks a lot like a disposable diaphragm! It doesn't look much like the picture in the link when you take it out of the package, but that's probably because the link doesn't make it obvious that the pouch part is transparent. Not that it matters. It is good to see that it is narrower than the keeper. Is the Diva about the same size as the Keeper?

I cloth diaper, but I loathe the feeling of pads. I always feel wet and icky and like I just want to take a shower!
#11 of 27 Old 10-11-2005, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I had a Keeper years ago (before kids) and I tried the Instead cups after ds was born. I was NOT impressed with them- they leaked like crazy (I needed to wear pads for backup) and they didn't stay in very well. They were much less comfortable than I remembered the Keeper being, and much more of a hassle (get my hands bloody AND have to deal with disposing of this item/remembering to carry more with me?) It was the worst of both worlds!

I bought a Divacup after a month or two of Instead use- and I'm very happy with it. The first month I had some leakage issues (pantyliner was adequate) but I haven't had any since then. I guess I learned how to put it in exactly right and to know how it feels when it's inserted correctly.

I don't think there's a major difference between the Keeper and the Divacup- at least, the Divacup is working exactly the same for me as I remember the Keeper working for me. I'm very happy with it, but if I'm having really intense cramps, I'll want to take it out and wear pads for a few hours. I think that's happened only a handful of times in the past year.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#12 of 27 Old 10-12-2005, 01:10 AM

Hi,

I use instead, have been for about two years. And I love them. I don't have a problem with leakage and as for the cramps I don't notice them being any worse. And I don't have any dryness. Dryness was the reason I quit using tampons. And I love the fact that I only have to change it ever 12 hours. I don't want to mess with sticking my fingers where the sun don't shine in a nasty public restroom. Now, I don't have to worry about that. And I when I change the instead, I put a new one in everytime. I do it because of santitation issues, I don't want to get any nasty infections (also I don't think I could bring myself to reuse one, it would be to nasty for me) and because I have an IUD.

Sandi
#13 of 27 Old 10-12-2005, 01:15 AM

I've had a diva cup for a couple years and love it. Had horrible dryness with tampons, but not the cup. Probably because it just catches rather than absorbing.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#14 of 27 Old 10-12-2005, 01:24 AM

I tried Instead cups for a few months and I found that I had serious leakage issues. Not all the time but enough to make it annoying. I too loved the idea of not having to deal with changing while out but whenever I would go to the bathroom I would have to clean up due to the cup spilling a little. I am REALLY interested in trying the Diva cup though... it seems more woman prefer those. I mean I've seen plenty of woman say they like the Keeper but it seems Diva is more popular.

Ima to Mizz.Jonas- 14, Isman- 12,Javsar- 9, Nani Gweesa- 4 and Baby Micah born into the Universe sleeping at full term Oct. 19th 2008 and Partner to Abba ~ belly.gif8/2011  Grateful to be Dead  broc1.gif
#15 of 27 Old 10-12-2005, 10:26 AM

I've never tried Instead, but I do use a Diva Cup. I had dryness with a tampon, but don't at all with the cup.
#16 of 27 Old 10-12-2005, 10:58 AM

I've been using the Instead cup for a few months. I wanted to try it before I spent the money on a Diva Cup. My PP AF is very different. (TMI alert?) It's VERY heavy for the first day & then it's super light for a few days. It's like that first day is the amount that used to take 3 moderate days all in one. I leak like crazy with the Instead on the heavy day, but LOVE them for the lighter days. I can't use tampons anymore at all. I get really swollen from them & they sort of get rejected by my body (if that is possible) & just pop out. It's really scary & gross. I bought a few 100% organic cotton ones & it's a bit better, but still happens.

I do want still try the Diva & I'm glad to hear such rave reviews here. I guess I can just use cloth liners/pads for the heavy day, just in case.
#17 of 27 Old 10-12-2005, 12:14 PM

i've used both instead and a diva cup. i still use my diva cup; although most of the time i stick with cloth pads. i didn't necessarily experience the cramping you did, but i imagine it could happen, because of the fit. one thing to keep in mind is that instead fits more like a (one-size fits all) diaphragm - high up and meant to surround your cervix, while the diva cup and keeper ride much lower. i found once i got used to the diva cup, it was much more comfortable than instead ever was. as for flow and cramping, i had very bad cramping for most of my life, until i started using cloth pads and occassionally my diva cup. since switching, i have had relatively easy af. good luck to you!
#18 of 27 Old 10-12-2005, 12:15 PM

I don't have any dryness issues with the Diva, which I've been using for 6 months or so.

Now, I notice pressure and increased cramping with it. I also don't notice it is in anymore, but when I take it out I feel a relief in the release of pressure. Weird.

But, I was on the pill for 10 years, so had minimal periods, and now that AF is back and everything is "all natural" in my body again I have heavier periods and about 24 hours of advil worthy cramps.

Now taht I've gotten the hang of the Diva, I put it in clean at night, and for some reason while sleeping it gets tucked up in a little farther, and is really unnoticable for the following day, when I take it out again and clean it at night. The hard part is keeping the 3 year old out of the bathroom when I take it out and clean it!
#19 of 27 Old 10-12-2005, 12:34 PM

I just wanted to put a good word in for the Keeper.
I used the Keeper before I got pregnant. I have always hated pads so that wasn't an option. I did have some dryness issues with tampons on light flow days (even if I used the ones specifically for light flow). I very rarely had any dryness issues with the Keeper. Like a pp said, after you wash it out, just don't dry it. That helps. However, I did find that I'd get more cramps when I had to, uh, go to the bathroom. Otherwise, I didn't notice any big difference with the cramping.

I just really love the fact that you don't have to check it all the time! I was used to changing my tampon so often, it was quite an adjustment to get used to not having to think about it. I'm definitely going to go back to using the Keeper after AF starts up again.

It turns out that moderation is the key to good parenting.  Too bad we aren't allowed to talk about that here.

#20 of 27 Old 10-12-2005, 12:52 PM

Quote:
I have a keeper, I've had it for maybe 5 months and so far I find it okay but don't love it. I get the same effect where after a couple of days the dryness makes it a little uncomfortable. And I can definitely feel it when it's in. So I use cloth pads and just use the cup on the heaviest 2 days. It may be that I'm just not using it quite right yet, or that I should try a diva cup instead. Pooh, it's annoying to think I spent the money on the wrong one!
If the Keeper's not working for you, you can return it. Check their website for details.

I'm going to use the Diva Cup for the first time this cycle. I did a "dry run" :LOL with it last night. Wrote about it on the blog...it was quite something. I'm going to keep at it, though.
#21 of 27 Old 10-12-2005, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The keeper has a 3 cycle return policy

I didn't like insteads, I couldn't get them in right :/

I LOVE my keeper though! I'm almost looking forward to getting my period back :LOL
#22 of 27 Old 10-12-2005, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog
I'm going to use the Diva Cup for the first time this cycle. I did a "dry run" :LOL with it last night. Wrote about it on the blog...it was quite something. I'm going to keep at it, though.
Oh, frog, you're too funny!! :LOL I am glad I didn't have those problems, I might have given up. Maybe try not using anything but water to "lube" it. Works fine for me. I think you'll be fine.
#23 of 27 Old 10-12-2005, 01:27 PM

One thing to keep in mind with Diva vs Keeper is that because the Diva is made from silicone, you can boil it to keep it clean. The Keeper has to be soaked in a vingear/water solution.

I used the Keeper for about 2 years before my dd was born, and then when I got AF back I got a Diva. IME, the Diva is a lot easier to use, much more flexible.
#24 of 27 Old 10-17-2005, 11:28 AM

Just thought I'd stop by and say that I'm just about finished with my first period using the Diva Cup and I LOVE IT. I'm doing that ridiculous thing where I'm so excited about a new thing that I'm telling EVERYONE about it.

I'll post an Ode to the Diva (or something) on my blog in a few days, but wanted to stop by and give a big ol' thumbs up.

#25 of 27 Old 10-17-2005, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog
Just thought I'd stop by and say that I'm just about finished with my first period using the Diva Cup and I LOVE IT. I'm doing that ridiculous thing where I'm so excited about a new thing that I'm telling EVERYONE about it.

I'll post an Ode to the Diva (or something) on my blog in a few days, but wanted to stop by and give a big ol' thumbs up.

So do you wear the pin that came with it?? :LOL
#26 of 27 Old 10-17-2005, 02:15 PM

Sadly, my pin is BROKEN!

:LOL
#27 of 27 Old 10-17-2005, 03:53 PM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page