Baby keeps throwing up--what's wrong? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 12-29-2002, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 12 week old DS has been throwing up about once a week for the past six weeks. I suspect my diet is to blame, but cannot put my finger on what's causing it---I think milk, eggs, or chocolate. But I'm worried that it could be something else. I will describe what goes on and would really like any ideas that may come from you ladies about what it is.
When DS throws up, he is just fine before and after. It usually doesn't upset him, except for this past time because milk came out of his nose . It happens near the end of a feeding or soon after (no longer than 5 minutes), and almost always happens at night while he's trying to get to sleep. He throws up absolutely everything in his stomach (definately not spitup).
After a few times, I began suspecting that my eating cow's milk might be causing it. I went off of all milk for a week, including trace milk, then reintroduced it. I drank milk and ate butter and cheese for three days without it bothering DS. Then, I had a chocolate SlimFast (holdover habit from college), nursed him, and he threw up. It was the only thing I'd eaten in several hours, so I think it had to be it. So I go back off milk. A couple of days ago, he threw up again, after I ate a few hardboiled eggs (I did this lots during pregnancy, not so much since) and a small piece of chocolate (which had some condensed milk in it).
I'm going to go on an elimination diet as soon as I get back home (visiting family out of state right now), but I am really worried about my DS. Does this sound like an allergy to you? Or should I take him to the ped? Or both?
Thank you so much for any responses.
#2 of 11 Old 12-29-2002, 06:20 PM

My ds 1 had a milk intolerance, and he was bf too.. We had to be off milk for about 3 weeks before we started noticing a difference, and from what i understand that is the way it works...If you are going to cut something out you have to do it for a couple of weeks for all of it to get out of your system... I would definately try eliminating dairy from your diet for at least 3-4 weeks and see if it improves.. it isn't an all or nothing thing at 1st... For us it was a few bad days.. then a good day.. then a few more bad days and a good day.. Then a couple bad days and a couple of good days.. You get the idea... Then slowly reintroduce it into your diet.. Say one thing a day... You should be able to tell right away when you reintroduce it if that food is the culprit.. also if after 3-4 weeks you aren't noticing an improvement it's probably something else...

That's my understanding of how to eliminate things from your diet...

best of Luck and warm Squishy Feelings....

Dyan

It's lonely being the only XX in a house of XYs.
#3 of 11 Old 12-29-2002, 10:37 PM

Once a week vomiting? no big deal as long as baby is feeding and growing well otherwise.
My son used to do the whole projectile vomiting routine about 3 times a week for the first 3 or 4 months. It was terrible when it would happen in the middle of my sleep deprived nights!!! It finally improved once his stomach muscles tightened up, about the time he could roll over well from back to tummy.
What helped?
-keeping him upright while and after nursing and calm after nursing
-loosening his diaper a lot. I could literally see his belly bulging after a feeding, so you can imagine what a little pressure on the belly was like, like popping a balloon.

My daughter (now 7 months old) did the vomiting, but not so projectile, about once a week for the first 3 months or so. She would usually wait until we were out in public with no extra clothes for either of us. She seems to have outgrown it now and only spews when I try to feed her solids or liquid Tylenol (gag reflex).

I think if it's only happening once a week it has more to do with loose tummy muscles or loose sphincter than with diet. If it was diet, it would be happening more often.
#4 of 11 Old 12-29-2002, 10:39 PM

this is a continuation of the above post. I thought of more stuff.

I talked to our family doc about the vomiting with both kids and there were no worries with either, because both were very healthy, alert, active, happy and gaining well. With ds, the doc said it was just a loose sphincter and his split tummy muscles.
With dd, the doc said "you could tell me she was throwing up every day and I wouldn't worry about it with her weight gain." She's up there on the growth charts.
#5 of 11 Old 12-31-2002, 06:17 AM

My only comment is: stay off chocolate!!
#6 of 11 Old 12-31-2002, 11:51 AM
Banned

Vomiting once per week at 12 weeks of age? In the absence of any other symptoms, I really would not worry about it at all.
#7 of 11 Old 01-02-2003, 08:38 PM

my dd would vomit regularly during the first 4 months of life. After she could roll over and especially after she could sit by herself it just went away. She would vomit a few times a week. We used to joke because she seemed to always do it after our pro football team lost a game. I think it's probably fairly normal and as long a baby is healthy and growing, all should be fine.

Wife to my wonderful Pablo, mum to Roo 8/10/01, Vin 1/10/07, Bug 6/3/07, Butterbean 12/12/09
#8 of 11 Old 01-03-2003, 10:07 AM

Same here. DD started doing the projectile vomiting at around 8 weeks. Would do it a few times a week. Never seemed to bother her, she would just nurse again and go back to sleep. I swear it seemed I was washing my sheets and comforter everyday though! ugh. She did outgrow it. Not sure what was causing it.

It wouldn't hurt to eliminate those foods you suspect could be triggers though. Also see your ped if it will help make you feel better.

Sounds normal to me though

Brenda
#9 of 11 Old 01-04-2003, 05:21 AM

projectile vomits all the time from 8 weeks until ds was 3 months. Many times a week. But not every meal. Doctor said as long as he grows and thrives don't worry. He said it would go away around 3months... bingo 3 months it ended.
something to do with first sons... someone said to me...

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/

#10 of 11 Old 01-05-2003, 01:47 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the responses
I ended up going to the ped and am glad I did. DS is completely healthy, he said, and the vomiting is nothing to worry about. Y'all were right! It does make me feel better to hear it from the doctor, though.

Melanie
#11 of 11 Old 01-05-2003, 01:46 PM

I'm glad to hear he is fine That's good news. Hopefully he will outgrow it soon. Keep lots of extra towels and sheets washed up. LOL. I thought I'd go crazy from washing all those clothes and beddings about everyday.

Brenda

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page