Anyone cease to menstruate via vegan, mostly raw foods/remineralization? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-29-2002, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm just learning about this option, which includes ovulating without periods and conception without menstruation.

Anyone here living naturally (raw foods, veganism) and free from the difficulties inherent in menstruation?

I'm also learning about the links between mineral deficienies and menstruation. With the right minerals, it seems one does not have to have periods!

I was a vegan for two years and then a fruitarian for three and I never felt better in my life! Of course, I wrecked all that with going back to eating every food under the sun (and created in a factory). I let my appetites get the best of me...

TIA

P.S. If you don't know what I'm referring to, you can search some of Dr. Herbert Shelton's writings, and here is a good link:

http://www.waldorfhomeschoolers.com/menstruation.htm
#2 of 6 Old 12-29-2002, 11:35 PM

Not sure why you would want to stop menstruation? Or just the pain?

I know that the body requires a minimum of 22% body fat for normal menstruation. Women who are extremely thin often have a hard time conceiving until gaining a healthy amount of fat (from what I have read).

Just "food for thought"....

Heartmama

Mother is the word for God on the hearts and lips of all little children--William Makepeace Thackeray
#3 of 6 Old 12-30-2002, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Hmm...did you read the link, heartmama? If not, this probably will not make sense!

The concept is that the healthiest female bodies do not menstruate (it is likened to a brain hemmoraging, that isn't a good thing so a uterus shouldn't hemmorage monthly), but DO ovulate and conceive.

Anyway, yeah, I know that there is some thought that a certain body fat percentage is good for fertility. But then, I know plenty of ultra skinny gals who get pregnant no prob.

I just thought someone here might have some experience with this type of natural living...it's very similar to the concepts of Fit for Life.
#4 of 6 Old 12-30-2002, 01:34 AM

I'm vegan raw foodist, and I still have periods, but they are lighter. But I'm also carrying around alot of excess weight due to me not exercising, but that has changed (thanks to santa bringing me a treadmill and a home gym) so by this time next year ask me the same question and we'll see what happens

I do agree with that article, it makes sense. But you aren't going to find a lot of raw food support here, as far as I know I'm the only person. You should ask that question on the boards at www.living-foods.com .
#5 of 6 Old 12-30-2002, 11:50 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I read the link, and I think the article is written with a heavy bias toward medical opinions that support it and a convenient disregard for the many that don't. The bias of the author is obvious from the opening paragraph:

Women call it "the Curse" with feeling and good reason - the monthly bleeding of menstruation, with its days of inconvenience, discomfort and pain, is the bane of women's existence from menarche to menopause. So universal in our modern culture is this miserable experience that it is assumed to be inevitable. Doctors and the women's media attempt to cast it in a favourable light with trite comments about "welcoming" it as the sign and sacrifice one makes in "becoming a woman". Yet there is probably not a woman anywhere who wouldn't gladly do away with it if she safely could!

I am a real live woman who would never call it "the Curse", does not consider it a miserable experience, and would NOT do away with it if I could. I don't view it as a sacrifice necessary to being a woman; to me, it's one of the very special, interesting, unique experiences of being a woman. In fact, the only thing that depresses me about the prospect of getting pregnant (currently TTC) is that then I'll miss out on at least a year of periods! That's not to say that I have never had the slightest inconvenience or discomfort w/menstruation, just that I think the negatives don't outweigh the positives--kind of like the inconvenience and discomfort of standing in line at the bus station carrying a heavy bag don't make me decide never to take a vacation again. I just do my best to minimize inconvenience and discomfort. I highly recommend the Keeper on both grounds.

Seems to me that a vegan diet, esp. one low in soy and oils, might well make menstruation lighter and less crampy, as well as contributing to your overall good health, so I'm not arguing against the diet. If a lighter flow, or even no flow, is desirable to you, then go for it! But I wouldn't assume that your fertility will be unaffected without doing a LOT more research.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#6 of 6 Old 12-30-2002, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by frogertgrl
The concept is that the healthiest female bodies do not menstruate (it is likened to a brain hemmoraging, that isn't a good thing so a uterus shouldn't hemmorage monthly), but DO ovulate and conceive.
Hmm, I read the article, and it seems that it revisits the Victorian /archaic concept of women bleeding=unclean temple=ungodly=bad. I am curious as to the religious backgrounds or cultural backgrounds of the references/authors.

Menses is a healthy and normal part of the female life cycle .

I look fwd to my bleed every month and do not experience pain or discomfort. It is a blessing to function so perfectly.
I am a thin woman, a vegetarian and eat many raw foods, although not enough for my goal yet. I also swim and use cloth pads. All of this has made my periods really light and predictable and not at all a problem.

In my experiences working in womens health it has been the unhealthy women that do not cycle ( morbid obese, anorexic, severe hormornal problems, etc)

I guess I would counter the article with reading suggestions such as Women's Bodies Women's Wisdom by Christiane Northrup, Wise Woman Herbal by Susun Weed and Cunt by Inga Muscio. Especially the later.

I am not putting down the concept, or your possible goals here, just trying to counter it with more feminine-positive perspectives. Is this article part of a growing philiosophy?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page