make @ home pedialyte? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-30-2002, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
is there anything that can be made at home that is suitable to use in place of pedialyte?

my 4 yr old dd has a stomach bug
#2 of 4 Old 12-31-2002, 12:03 PM

I don't know if there is a way to search the archives or not, but I remember that this was covered last year. You could also try a google search using "homemade pedialyte" or "pedialyte recipe".

Growing up in small town Canada, my parents & grandparents always gave us CANADA DRY GINGERALE when we has stomach bugs/issues. Other brands of gingerale just did not work.

On a personal note, I had terrible morning sickness with baby#2, and for 3 weeks I could not keep any food down, (I lost so much weight in the pregnancy that when I had my daughter, I was 10 pounds lighter than when I started :125 lbs). Not even water (which I later found out is contraindicated for vomiting). In the end, my hubby cooked up a plain chicken broth (processed versions will have too much salt) using a bag of frozen chicken wings, an onion, 4 stacks of chopped celery, a few carrots, a tsp of salt, a pinch of pepper, and poultry seasoning to taste. Boiled for a few hours. Drain off the liquid and keep in the fridge. You can dring a cup (heated) as often as you like. It was the only thing that got me through the pregnancy and the incessant vomiting.
I now make this for the kids when they are sick and they almost always are able to keep it down.

Good Luck! mir
#3 of 4 Old 12-31-2002, 12:18 PM

I buy the Recharge from the health food stores, but there are also many recipies on the net you can try. Here is part of one and I posted the link too:

Fruit juices can be diluted to obtain the 6-9% carbohydrate needed to be most effective. Research indicates that homemade drinks made with diluted fruit juice are similar in composition to scientifically formulated commercial sports drinks, but are lacking in sodium. This is easily remedied by adding a pinch of salt to your recipe. If you feel like whipping up a refreshing, thirst-quenching beverage give this recipe a try:

Basic Fluid Replacement Recipe
1-cup cold water
1-cup fruit juice (apple or orange)*
1 teaspoon sugar or honey
1 pinch of salt
Mix, chill, and enjoy!

*One cup of apple or orange juice has about 26-30 grams of carbohydrate. Keep in mind that not all fruit juices contain the same amount of carbohydrate, so read the labels when you want to try a new flavor. Just remember to keep the total carbohydrate level to about 14 grams per 8oz

http://www.protraineronline.com/past/oct1/fluid.cfm

But honestly, the best best yummy thing is to make some rice
(brown or white, but preferably white) and drain off some water from the cooked rice, cool it down, and give it to baby. The starch liquid will slow the stomach upset and loose stools. The semi-warm liquid feels good, the nutrients are in the water, and the baby does not get a chemical load of blue dye #4 !!
#4 of 4 Old 01-01-2003, 12:21 AM

http://www.rehydrate.org/ for oral rehydration salts recipes.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page