Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 01-08-2002, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Note: This is an archived topic. It is read-only. Mothering Boards
Alternative and Complementary Medicine Archive
Help! Mastitis.....Natural remedies? Doctor wants me to take antibiotics!!!!

This topic was originally posted in this forum: Alternative and Complementary Medicine
Author Topic: Help! Mastitis.....Natural remedies? Doctor wants me to take antibiotics!!!!
Indigo's Momma
Member posted 02-08-2001 11:45 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is my 2nd time with the SEVERE Boob Pain!!!! I nursed it away the first time with much pain and pillow biting.....Now I am trying to nurse it alot to get rid of it again but the pain is UNBEARABLE!!!!!!
My nipple hurts the most....
My little one seems to hate the breast the infection is in and prefers the good boob....
Even when the infected boob feels better he fusses to take it....
Anyone know what the deal is?
Could I be mis-diagnosed?
I think my 4 month old may be teething too on top of everything, but why would he prefer one boob over the other?
Can he taste the infection or what?
What can I take? Anyone have suggestions?
Help Help Help

megerina
Member posted 02-09-2001 09:32 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you tried hot compresses and pumping or hand expressing that side as well? I have one breast that seems to be more susceptable to blocked ducts than the other, and it hasn't always been easy when they are clogging to get the kidlets to nurse, especially whent there is a "pee" of calcified whatever stuck. (the only solution I have found for those is pump, pump and nurse like crazy, offering the "bad" breast first every time, until the damned thing works out.
At least your Doc isn't telling you to quit nursing, which happened to my ex SIL 20 years ago. She wound up infected AND engorged and really sick. FWIW I don't like antibiotics either, but they have their place, especially if you have been fighting infections for a while and nothing is working.

jazzymom1999
Member posted 02-09-2001 09:57 AM
Cabbage leaves. Put cool cabbage leaves in your (loose) bra and leave them there until they get warm and wilted. Keep replacing the wilted leaves with fresh leaves until you are feeling better.
Works like magic!

olloo&sagie
Member posted 02-09-2001 12:14 PM
I have had two bouts of masitis with dd#2 and both times I used nutribiotic grapefruit seed extract from the health food store. It tastes incredibly gross but if you buy the little empty gel caps you can drip the nutibiotic in and then you don't even notice. It worked overnight for me both times! It's also good for lots of other things if it seems to expensive to use for just one thing.
Good luck, Morgan.

Kelts
unregistered posted 02-09-2001 12:42 PM
Pump it pump it pump it!! Hot compresses and no bras. Pumping will really help unclog that duct and clean up infection.

B'smom
Member posted 02-09-2001 01:29 PM
I have had mastitis three times and am now a master at self healing. Bed rest, hot compresses, cabbage leaves and expressing or pumping as well as nursing. You ususally have a tendancy to get mastitis in the opposite breast to your dominant hand. If you are right handed you are ususally better and feel more comfortable nursing on the right side, and your baby also feels this from you so also shows a preference. Using different nursing positions on the left to make you and the baby more comfortable can only help. I also stopped wearing a bra for a while as I found that it just added to the problem as I had a tendancy to leak from the one breast quite often. Since I have done all of these things it has been about a year since my last bout. So good luck and rest rest rest!!!!!
Ness

Momtwice
Member posted 02-09-2001 02:44 PM
I always was told you don't need the antibiotic UNLESS/UNTIL YOU HAVE A FEVER.
I agree with REST REST REST!! Take the baby to bed and NURSE NURSE NURSE on that side (or pump a lot if baby won't nurse...maybe baby will while sleepy? You MUST empty that breast!)

Apply heat, hot shower, bath, hot compresses, heating pad, etc. often.
especially before feedings.

(Ice packs provide relief to some, but warmth gets the milk flowing better.)

IGNORE ALL HOUSEWORK for as many days as you can. These smptoms are often a sign that you are doing too much.

Vitamin C always helped me a lot.

The post above is correct, I always got them on the left side and I'm very much a rightie! I NEVER knew that!! Could the baby dislike that side because you hold him less confidently in that arm, because it is not as strong? I did that! (Or is your theory correct that he tastes it? Don't know.)

Drink lots of water and avoid caffeine.

Good luck!

(P.S. The nipple hurts the most? Could it be THRUSH, fellow moms????)

[This message has been edited by Momtwice (edited 02-09-2001).]

Mom2Will/Kate
Member posted 02-09-2001 04:49 PM
Wow! You've got a lot of great advice coming your way.
I, too, am a veteran of mastitis. I found that pumping, hot showers, rest and lots of water worked well for my first one. Unfortunately, the second one got the best of me, (I was unaware of all the great ideas given above!) and my temperature shot up to nearly 103 degrees. Needless to say, I was obviously very sick. I even had red, hot stripes radiating from my nipple, (the infected one) all the way up towards my neck.

By this time I was more than happy to try the antibiotic, (there's a special one they use just for this purpose) and I felt much better. It did take a while to fully recover, however.

Good luck, and TAKE IT EASY!

Made in Canada
Member posted 02-09-2001 07:19 PM
Yes Rest!
also not mentioned above, a disposable diaper soaked with hot water makes a great wetish warm compress.
try placing the babe on a table or bed and hang your breast in his mouth...sounds weird, but this way gravity helps and you wont cause any more sore spots by putting any pressure on the bad boob...this one works really well for me when I get a blocked duct.
good luck, and I hope you are couch surfing!

lunarmomma
Moderator posted 02-09-2001 08:18 PM
If the boob is hot to the touch and red and or with stripes and you could try taking homeopathic Belladonna. It can work wonders. I too recommend the nursing with you on all fours, over the baby . Let that boob hang free.
Good Luck.
laura

Indigo's Momma
Member posted 02-10-2001 09:56 AM
Wow! I feel so loved!
I will try all of the great suggestions and get back to you........By the way....I never had a fever with this mastitis, the doc prescribed me antibiotics anyway.....But I feel lumps inside my boob.....
I have been tricking the little one to take it and it does feel better...
Thanks for all the great suggestions!

Becca
Moderator posted 02-10-2001 10:57 AM
Hot oatmeal made kinda thick, wrapped in a thin towel and wrapped around your breast is the best compress in the world, it's done any with clogged ducts and lumps many a time for me.
Blessings, Becca

Momtwice
Member posted 02-10-2001 12:25 PM
By the way the pumping thing can be tricky. You have to empty the breast, so you want to pump if baby won't nurse often enough, BUT if you pump too much (and then cut back on the pumping too suddenly afterward) you could end up with YET ANOTHER round of pain.
It's a bit of a balancing act.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page