Homeopathy - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-05-2002, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I did some research at homeopathy related websites and found that "silicea" in a "200C, 3 pellets by mouth" form is recommended (at drluc.com) to protect against bad effects of the DTAP. So I got some at the store, because my sweetie is getting this vax next week, but they didn't have any that said "200C," only 1 that said "6X." What do you think the difference is? I'm pretty sure Dr. Luc meant just that 1 dose right after the shot, but maybe 6X is weaker than 200C and I should give more? Any homeopath moms out there? Also, I know these pills are supposed to dissolve, but I still worry about her coughing/choking on them--maybe I could dissolve them in a little water/breastmilk and give it to her in a bottle? Also, do you think it would help her any if I took some myself so that it would get into my milk (I'm taking vit c and echinaea for that reason). Oh, help please...I'm worried about giving her the shot, she reacted okay to the first set, just a little swelling, but I still hate it and am trying to do all I can to help it go okay. Thank you so much for any responses.
#2 of 10 Old 01-05-2002, 02:09 AM

I don't know much I will try to answer this the best I know....don't quote me on any of it....

The 200C is the potency. That is really high. I believe that only homeopaths have access to that...I am not sure..It has to do with how many times it has been successed. The higher the number the more potent it is. I am reading my book right now to see what it says. It says that potencys that high should not be used by a home prescriber, which is why you couldn't find it in the store.

If you are going to give them to her you can mix it with your breast milk or water if you want to. They do disolve so quickly especially if they babies mouth has got a lot of saliva in it...she won't choke on it. You are suppose to get them under the tongue but I can't ever do that. I always stick them on my babies tongue and then put my boob or pass in her mouth so she is sucking to help them disolve.

I would recommend seeing a homeopath if want to have the 200C given. Also personally I wouldn't get that vax.

Now I am not a homeopath and know very little. I do have a book and am learning a little but we haven't gotten that far in the book yet. I am not responsible for the info given.
#3 of 10 Old 01-05-2002, 12:32 PM

When you give the homeopathics, do not touch them or let your dd/ds touch them. They become contaminated very easily and are useless if contaminated. Dilute them with bm or water if you want.
RE the potency, one of the premises of homeopathy is that less is more. Yes, the 200c is a high potency but it has been diluted more than the 6x.

Maybe you can reconsider the vax in the first place.
GL
#4 of 10 Old 01-08-2002, 06:17 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Note: This is an archived topic. It is read-only. Mothering Boards
Alternative and Complementary Medicine Archive
homeopathy and infants

This topic was originally posted in this forum: Alternative and Complementary Medicine
Author Topic: homeopathy and infants
Kirsten Skiles
unregistered posted 10-05-2000 09:37 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've recently purchased a home homeopathic remedy kit and several books on homeopathy and alternative remedies, including Smart Medicine for a Healthier Child.
From my reading, it seems that homeopathic remedies are generally considered safe for infants (for common maladies like teething, colds, flu), especially at the low potencies, such as 6x.

Does anyone know if there is any age at which homeopathic remedies might be unsafe for an infant, or any specific remedies which would always be inappropriate? Are homeopathic remedies ever unsafe for a breastfeeding mother to take?
Again, I am referring to treatment of common viral household maladies such as colds, flu, teething- that sort of thing.

kellyts@netzero.net
Member posted 10-05-2000 10:11 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's my understanding that homeopathy is the safest form of treatment for us and our babies. I could be wrong but I don't think so (what's new? ) In your literature it should tell you I would think. Is there a homeopath in your area you could contact? I have a homeopathic kit for us and the baby and I don't know how people go without one.
It has helped tremendously and it feels good to not give my son stuff like tylenol or antihistamines etc. I think you made a very god choice. Hope you find it works great.

kellyts@netzero.net
Member posted 10-05-2000 10:14 AM
ok- that was supposed to say "good" choice just in case you might of thought I was throwing some religion into the mix.
(ah geez, I hope that doesn't start somethin' )

Dayna
Member posted 10-05-2000 11:18 AM
it is also my understanding that homeopathy is about the safest, gentlest form of medicine you can find (I have been using it throughout my pregnancy). i have a terrific book, "homoepathy for infants and children" by Dana Ullman, that can answer a lot of your questions.
i believe there's also a book by Miranda Castro on the same subject, but i'm not sure of the title.

cat
Moderator posted 10-05-2000 01:34 PM
I took homeopathics throughout my pregnancy as well. I believe they are extremely safe for babies. We've been using the Hyland's teething formulation for quite a while now, and it's been very effective.
I know there are some remedies that you generally can't buy over the counter, however, those wouldn't be used for everyday ailments, so not to worry.

Becca
Moderator posted 10-05-2000 05:22 PM
Yep, homeopathy is completely safe for infants, in fact there are a number of midwives and OB's in places like the UK, India and Holland who are also certified homeopaths, and routinely diagnose and administer homeopathic remedies to both labouring women and newborns.
I studied homeopathy for about 3yrs, and although I don't practice, I'm qualified as an acute care homeopath (most common illnesses and injuries), both my children have had remedies at a very young age. I'd just like to add a warning about some over the counter mixed remedies. Many of them will contain all of the common remedies for a particular ailment, some of which can in fact be incompatible with each other, or act as antidotes to other remedies in the same mixture, cancelling out any effect they may have. Most mixed remedies don't have these problems, but there are still a few out there that do.
If you are able to get hold of a Materia Medica (Boericke's is a good one) and either check remedies before you buy, or better still diagnose by single remedy and buy that specific one, you'll get better results.
Blessings, Becca

Becca
Moderator posted 10-05-2000 05:39 PM
Sorry, just reread your post Kirsten,and saw a couple more questions.
Using homeopathic remedies while breastfeeding is not a problem, as long as you exercise caution. It's not advisable to take remedies over 200CH, and usually 30CH will be adequate.
Remedies under 30CH are best for babies. As a general rule of thumb, the more systemic an illness is the greater the potency needed. If you're using 6CH and it's working, stick to it.
As remedies are prescribed based on symptoms, not specific illnesses, I don't think there's a problem with some remedies being unsuitable for babies, they simply won't be indicated.
If you're in any doubt about the safety of a remedy, consult a registered homeopath. Just like any other medication, misuse can cause harm.
Hope this helps,
Blessings Becca

Kirsten Skiles
unregistered posted 10-06-2000 08:38 AM
Thanks for all of your input. I'm very pleased with the homeopathic remedies so far for a recent cold in the family and I like the overall approach to health and the immune system. So far 6x is working and I can get 12 or 30x if something seems more severe. Luckily, Ian and I are very hearty. My dh would probably be the one to need the slightly higher potencies when he's sick.
I'm going to look for a materia medica, as you suggested. The Boericke's one was recommend in one of the books that I have also.

I've been avoiding the combo remedies because the books also seemed a little leery of some of them. However the oscillococcinum (bad spelling) was recommended as a good flu rememdy. Any experience with this?
-Kirsten

lholm
Member posted 10-06-2000 08:59 AM
Miranda Catrso's book, that someone recommended, is called Homeopathy for pregnancy, birth and your baby's first year .
I have it and would recommend it.

lholm
Member posted 10-06-2000 09:01 AM
Miranda Catrso's book, that someone recommended, is called Homeopathy for pregnancy, birth and your baby's first year .

lholm
Member posted 10-06-2000 09:04 AM

Kirsten Skiles
unregistered posted 10-21-2000 11:09 AM
I did find an answer to my own question, an article by Dana Ullman, an author & doctor that some of you recommended. The website is http://www.homeopathic.com/ailments/heschild.htm

#5 of 10 Old 01-08-2002, 08:13 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Note: This is an archived topic. It is read-only. Mothering Boards
Alternative and Complementary Medicine Archive
Homeopathy Question

This topic was originally posted in this forum: Alternative and Complementary Medicine
Author Topic: Homeopathy Question
Mom2Will/Kate
Member posted 03-11-2001 05:52 PM
We are looking into alternatives for our ds seasonal allergies. We live in Minnesota, (the Twin City area to be exact) and want to get a jump start on allergy season before the snow melts.
A friend suggested homeopathy, but it's all very new to me. I've tried to read about it on the boards, but I'm still wondering... just what exactly is homeopathy? (I know, probably a dumb question, but hopefully this is *the* place to get an answer!)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! - Jonna

[This message has been edited by Mom2Will/Kate (edited 03-11-2001).]

Clancysmum
Member posted 03-11-2001 06:11 PM
Homeopathy's premise is that like cures like. For example, if nervousness is a problem, the remedy Coffee would be used. Homeopathic remedies are extremely diluted. The more dilute, the more effective is the belief. Dana Ullman has written several good books. Also, Lockie-can't remember his first name. Gl, I have used homeopathy with my dd since her conception.

ari
Member posted 03-14-2001 02:14 PM
I swear by homeopathy. . .it helped me get pregnant when the Dr. wanted to put me on Clomid, etc. It has kept me healthy for 2 years and I am now working with a homeopath to treat my dd. The great thing about homeopathy is that it is impossible for it to hurt you. . .it can only help. I recommend Dana Ullman's book, Homeopathic Medicine for Infants and Children.

calvinsmom
Member posted 03-14-2001 04:51 PM
Another great reference book is Miranda Castro's, "Homeopathy for Pregnancy, Birth and Your Baby's First Year". She also wrote "The Complete Homeopathy Handbook: A Guide to Everyday Healthcare".
Both are excellent books...I jumped into homeopathy with those books, and they have been a great resource for a "beginner" like me.

Mom2Will/Kate
Member posted 03-15-2001 10:08 AM
Hey, Homeopathic Mamas -
Thanks for the tips as I begin my journey. The books sound fantastic, and I'm going to reserve them at the library.

Let me know if you think of anything else!

emmsmama
Member posted 03-17-2001 06:52 PM
I just wanted to address a comment Ari made above about it being impossible to hurt yourself with homeopathy. Though homeopathy is extremely safe and doesn't have side effects when used properly, it is possible for it to hurt you. If you take strong amounts of a remedy frequently and your body does not need the remedy you can start to prove the symptoms of the remedy. So if you are self prescribing use low potencies and it would be preferable not to take a tonne of different remedies and continue a remedy for a long time unless you are under the care of a professional homeopath. There is another good book by Miranda Castro that I have read.
Wendy :-)

emmsmama
Member posted 03-17-2001 06:54 PM
I realize one of the sentences in my last post may have been confusing. When taking homeopathic remedies DO take low potencies, DON'T take a bunch of different remedies, and DON'T continue taking a remedy for a long time unless you are under the care of a professional CLASSICAL homeopath.
Wendy :-)

napua
Member posted 04-13-2001 02:49 AM
Although this is not homeopathic, I recently got an herb called nettle for my husband's allergies and it's been working great for him. For nursing moms, it's also a galactagogue!
Darlene

FurMonster
Member posted 04-13-2001 12:49 PM
I'm one of those lucky people that doesn't really have any allergies, but my dh was allergic to dust, mold, & our pets when we moved in together. He had his allergies treated by NAET (Nabudripad's Allergy Elimination Technique) which was very effective for him. NAET uses acupuncture or acupressure to "clear" your body for each substance you're allergic to. If you're interested check out http://www.naet.com for more info.
Marilyn

[This message has been edited by FurMonster (edited 04-13-2001).]

Mom2Will/Kate
Member posted 04-18-2001 11:05 AM
Thanks again for all your great ideas.
I went to my first homeopathy session last night. It was basically informational in nature, and I'm fascinated behind the history of this alternative medicine. Hard to believe it was more popular that allopathic medicine in the mid-1800s. Funny how things change over time, but eventually swing back to the way they were.

I loved the homeopathist who will be working with our family, and I'm excited to get the ball rolling. Traditional medicine just doesn't seem to encompass all we desire - hopefully this will be the ticket!

Have a great Wednesday, everyone!

#6 of 10 Old 01-20-2002, 12:16 PM

By putting a 6x in water and stirring it a few times will make it stronger - 30x. You really should see a homeopath before you get any shots as it can take time strengthen your childs immune system with any remedy and one dose may not be enough.
#7 of 10 Old 01-22-2002, 03:03 AM

I am in the midst of giving my 10 month old four different remedies and here is what I just learned. Our doctor said that it is really important that my baby not eat or drink anything (including breastmilk or water) 10 - 15 minutes before or after the remedies as they would not be as effective. He said that if I was not comfortable giving the pellet then I should crush it bttween two spoons (they are very soft) and place the powder in my baby's mouth. I tried this but the powder got everywhere. We ended up putting the tablet in his mouth and it dissolved easily. Hope this helps and good luck.
#8 of 10 Old 01-22-2002, 10:41 PM

I ususally post opn the vaccination issue but thought id reply here. My homeopath put mY Ddd remedy in DISTILLED water only NO stirring succuss it which means shake it. add some grain alchol to it like vodka. this remedy should NEVER be spilt or dumped. as you use the remedy add more water. the vodka will keep it pure. we have used HOmeopathy for several things including pertussis at 5 mo old and recently croup. And as far as I know 200 potency is only for homeopath use.
hope this helped
#9 of 10 Old 01-22-2002, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for responding, I'm still researching and learning...I just found some rememdy's for teething that come in nice little single serve liquids which you just squirt in, much easier, wish they all came like that...
#10 of 10 Old 01-23-2002, 11:17 PM

The 200 potency is much stronger than the 6x, you cannot substitute one for the other, it is not usually available at health food stores but can be mail ordered from homeopathic pharmacies without a prescription (depending on the remedy). Silica is fine w/o one. Stirring it does not make it into a higher potency. There is something called "plussing" which is slightly more complex. I wouldn't recommend trying that unless you really knew what you were doing, or were under the referral of a homeopath who could instruct you. A 200 C has been diluted that many more times than a 6 X (it is a bit more complicated than that!), but the more diluted a remedy, the deeper, or stronger it is. A remedy cannot become stronger by giving more of it ever. It is in the dilution. X (decimal) is1 part remedy to 9 parts dilution, C (centesimal) is 1 part remedy to 99 parts dilution. So C potencies are way stronger than X from the get go. X are good for more physical, acute symptoms, and C potencies can go for deeper, chronic, emotional or esoteric conditions.
This is one approach. You may find as many philosophies of practice as you will practitioners! In India, most homeopaths only use 200 C for everything. I had a homepath here who used a 5 C for most things, and occasionally a 200 for deeper stuff. A 200 makes sense to counteract the ill effects of vaccination.
I would recommend consulting with someone regarding the higher potencies, you could do it yourself, but there could be an aggravation.
There would be no harm in delaying the vax until your dd were under the care of a good homeopath and the remedy (remedies?) given prior to vaxing, if that is what you are choosing to do.
Keep in mind though, that there are homeopathic alternatives to vaccination which have no side effects. these are called Nosodes. They should be given under the care of a competent homeopath as well.
They are a viable alternantive to the issue of vaccinating. They can be given prophylactically, or when one has been exposed, or hears of a disease going around. Depends on the homeopath, and the country they are in. The schools of thought vary but it is good stuff. And it really works!
If you can investigate further, there is lots of info to be had.
With remedies there are lots of rules about how to take them and all, but honestly the vfirst step starts with the intention. It will still work, on some level, even if you brush your teeth right after, or eat beforehand...or touch the remedies!
There are recommendations which are strict, but some homeopaths say none of that matters, and it will work anyway. Remember, it is an ENERGY medicine. It works with the energy of your body. And Spirit. So it doen't always have to follow physical rules.
Sorry, I am getting a bit esoteric here. Homeopathy has that potential. It is one of the reasons I love it so much.
If you need any resources for ordering the 200 potencies, I can point you to some of them but I would recommend seeing someone to get some guidance first.
Good luck!

Tags
Health Healing , Homeopathics

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page