Old 01-08-2002, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Note: This is an archived topic. It is read-only. Mothering Boards
Alternative and Complementary Medicine Archive
Frequent Fevers

This topic was originally posted in this forum: Alternative and Complementary Medicine
Author Topic: Frequent Fevers
jas
Member posted 03-31-2001 05:20 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My 15 month old has had fevers frequently (in the last 4 months about 5 - 6 times). The feveres get high and reach 40 Celsius quite quickly. Twice the fever has been connected to an ear infection which we treated with antibiotics. Now my partner and I are thinking that her body responds to any infection with fever and we should not get so uptight. We have also decided not to use antibiotics anymore (when possible). I feel awful that she has taken antibiotics twice, I never thought that I would - I was just afraid of not responding. We are going to go to a Naturopathic Doctor to discuss the fevers and ear infections, but does anyone have any hints, any suggestions about lowering fever naturally. We have also given her tylenol with fever and want to avoid this in the future! ANy suggestions would be welcome. Thaks

francisflock
Member posted 03-31-2001 07:50 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am NOT an expert but I can tell you what we have done...
We have used a variety of things to reduce fever when we feel the body needs a break for a while (usually by the third day of fever). My favorite for little ones is sliced raw onion on the bottom of their feet in the socks! Sound weird, I know, but it really works. For those that like water, we put them in a bath of normal temp. with a lot of toys and have them play for a LONG time so the water cools slowly and so do they! (Careful they don't chill...)

Sounds like you and hubby are on the right track! A great book to read is "How to Raise a Healthy Child...In Spite of Your Doctor" by Robert S. Mendelsohn, M.D. Very good information. God Bless.

lil' love
Member posted 04-01-2001 07:25 AM
my dd also gets fevers when her body is responded to any kind of infection, mild or not.
My belief is that this is a sign of a strong immune system If not, at least her body is responding to the "invader".
A fever is a body's way of killing off bad bacteria and viruses.
I found a homeopathic remedy in a local health food store called Childrens Alpha 98.6.
I'm not sure what is in it because I don't have the box anymore, but it brought her fever down.
A friend also told me she has brought down many a fever simply by placing the babies feet in a tub of cool water. Fortunately, I haven't had the oppotunity to try this yet.
Love to you..
[This message has been edited by lil' love (edited 04-01-2001).]

[This message has been edited by lil' love (edited 04-01-2001).]

alianmama
Member posted 04-02-2001 02:20 PM
Had your child been vaccinated close to the date that these fevers started? My younger son was taken by his dad to a 'wellness'check when he was about 3, where he recieved a massive dose of vacs (his dad & I were freshly divorced and communication wasn't that great yet; he'd forgotten that I was managing vacs on a one-by-one basis due to first ds's severe reactions, and becoming educated about vacs). He reacted to the vacs by spiking a really high (105) fever, pain, swollen joints, painful ears etc.
That wasn't all, tho. For the following FULL year, he spike a fever like that EVERY 3-6 weeks! We'd get a call from daycare that he had a 101 fever, 20 minutes later picked him up from a terrified dcare provider with 104- it was really scary! It took me a few months to trace the problem back to the vacs, and sure enough, it started right after the vacs.

It took him about 15 months before this stopped. We don't know yet if he will be sterile from having his little testicles cooked so often and so high. Even reached 105.7 a few times.

Needless to say, I REALLY educated myself and ex-hubby about vacs and selectively vac now, and always only one at a time with months in between. And very few, I might add.

Holistic Momma
Member posted 04-02-2001 08:01 PM
Alianmama, how is your son now? I hope he is doing well. I also wanted to say thank you for your post. Vaccination was the first thing I thought of when I read jas' post. I never posted my thoughts however, because I don't want people thinking I blame vaccines for every little sniffle. But that could be very well what is going on here. Alot of people think that if a reaction does not happen immediately after the vaccination, that everything is cool and no damage has been done. Unfortunately, it just doesn't work quite like that.
Websites for additional vaccine information are www.909shot.com www.ThinkTwice.com www.gval.com www.nccn.net www.PlanetC1.com

And a quick way to get in touch with other parents is the Vaccination e-mail list. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vaccinations
Register at Yahoo first.

Lots of information and you can also post your daughter's condition there and see what they say. You got some really great suggestions here for bringing down a fever!

lucysmom
unregistered posted 04-02-2001 09:47 PM
Peppermint essential oil on bottom of the feet or forehead (test for sensitivity) I've heard works great. Good thoughts your way.

alianmama
Member posted 04-03-2001 02:44 PM
Holistic Mama-
My son is fine now. We all eat a 90% raw-food diet as of the last year and are ridiculously healthy; he spends half his time w/his dad (who loves McDonalds food) and is the only family member who ever gets sick any more! BUT he's been over those horrible fevers for years now, thank Goddess! He has more energy than anyone I know, is athletically and intellectually gifted and top of his class.
Somewhere down the line we'll have to find out if he will be able to have children, and as he is his father's only living relative, I know his dad would be sad that his 'line' might not go on. Overall, however, my little ds is in great health...if only I could change my ex's food habits...

[This message has been edited by alianmama (edited 04-04-2001).]

jas
Member posted 04-04-2001 10:03 AM
Thanks for all the tips. We vaccinated at 8 months and 11 months - the fever had already begin but I do think it's been more frequent since (it might also be because it's been winter) I don't know. We have decided to finish the DPT next month and stop vaccinating. I know that's another issue - but does anyone have experience with starting vacs and then stopping. I think we didn't have enough information to make an informed decision the first time around.

alianmama
Member posted 04-04-2001 01:01 PM
I started vacs late but followed the recommended route until a bad reaction from dpt w/my older ds. Then, I educated myself and chose only to vac for tetanus because
1. It is the only fatal disease my boys are likely to come in contact with
2. They are extremely healthy, and most of the diseases there are vacs for are not a risk where we live. Yes, possibly due to all those other people vaccinating, but nevertheless the risk is minute so..
3. ...I can vac my children when they are older, and their bodies are more capable of handling the onslaught of vacs.
Both boys and all family members & close friends know they are not vaxed; we will reevaluate what is best for them, especially when traveling comes into play.

For now, I am at peace with my choice, and derive great enjoyment from seeing my boys whole and healthy. I teach special ed and have met with hundreds of parents and, while not a scientific survey, notice that bad vac reactions, and vaccing already sick kids changed many of their children from normal, almost normal, into damaged kids. Very sad, and when you see it every day at work, it makes you think. And decide to do some research...
Holistic Mama has some great websites about vacs, I think, check her out...

Holistic Momma
Member posted 04-11-2001 01:54 PM
For my friend Mama Osi and because someone else was asking about fever. BUMP!

mama osi
Member posted 04-11-2001 06:00 PM
So very kind, HolisticMomma.
Thank you all who posted for teaching me some more! Fortunately, I still haven't encountered a fever, so I don't have any experiences/methods to share, but I'm sure the next reader does..
dee

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2002, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Note: This is an archived topic. It is read-only. Mothering Boards
Alternative and Complementary Medicine Archive
Fever/Fear of Seizure/Tylenol/Motrin/Hives -- Help!

This topic was originally posted in this forum: Alternative and Complementary Medicine
Author Topic: Fever/Fear of Seizure/Tylenol/Motrin/Hives -- Help!
aka mama-mooa
Member posted 07-03-2001 12:46 PM
Hi everyone. I am totally confused and looking for some advice. 20 month old ds has had a fever ranging from 99 to 102.3 for the past three days. Since he had a febrile seizure last month I've been reluctantly treating the fever with tylenol and motrin (motrin once a day if the tylenol doesn't seem to be working).
Well, today, ten minutes after giving him tylenol, he broke out in major hives on his face and body. His face was so swollen and distorted. My step-dad, a pediatrician, was home with me and administered benedryl. My pediatrician thinks maybe ds had an allergic reaction to motrin or tylenol or maybe the hives were part of the virus he seems to have.

Anyway, I'm not supposed to treat his fever with anymore tylenol or motrin, just baths. I know I have to just hope the seizure doesn't happen again, but I'm very worried about what will happen at 2:00 am (which is generally when his fever is highest) when I can't control the fever quickly with medecine.

I've researched the boards and taken down previous advice on natural fever management, so I plan to try some of these techniques.

Has anyone ever dealt with hives before in this context, though? I'm wondering if benedryl is something I should avoid if the hives happen again.

I know this is a long and rambling post, but I thought some background might be useful to those interested in responding. Thanks!

hsmama
Member posted 07-03-2001 01:05 PM
That sounds scary!I don't know about the particulars of why he got the hives,my son has gotten them, for different reasons,but I used Benadryl to block the histamine production,the only drawback I've seen is tiredness,but I figure if I see hives,I don't know what's going on internally,I want to STOP a system wide reaction before it starts,so I use it.I would be very cautious about using those meds again,maybe it was the dyes that triggered it?Ssorry I'm not much help--

aka mama-mooa
Member posted 07-03-2001 07:35 PM
Actually -- you are much help! I think you're right about the dyes - red dyes to be exact. I'm not certain, but I've talked to my sister who is a pediatrician and she said she's seen hives in reaction to the red dye #40 in motrin - which coincidentally, the "berry" flavored tylenol I was using also has, as does the benadryl I was using! I'm not sure how the benadryl managed to control the hives even though it may have the allergy triggering ingredient in it itself, but dh is out buying dye-free benedryl and tylenol suppositories (dye-free) for tonight - just in case ds gets a crazy high fever that we can't control and makes us worried about another seizure.
Thanks for your response.

SmileMomma
Moderator posted 07-03-2001 07:46 PM
Mamamooa, 99 to 102 is really not a big deal fever for a child. Why treat it at all? You may just be suppressing what the fever is trying to kill off.
And I know they've already told you this, but febrile seizures are generally harmless (although scary) and result from a sudden spike in temperature, not merely it's peak.
Why do physicians always want to DO something? Why won't they just let the body work?

Well, I'm sorry to be the voice of dissent here. Good luck to you and your baby, I hope it abates soon. (My dd had hives, also, after any bout with a virus. They came and went all over her, but never were widespread. I watched for that, and had Claritin for Kids on hand in case it did. Claritin, as you prolly know, is a prescription non-sedating antihistamine. I never gave it to her, but I know how hard it is to just watch and wait!)

littlemother
Junior Member posted 07-03-2001 07:47 PM
I would do everything I could to not give tylenol or motrin. My daughter had a seizure at 11 months which they thought was a febrile seizure. Turned out it was caused by breath-holding, but we researched febrile seizures a bit because we didn't know for sure what was causing them. (She had several more seizures for about 4 months after the first one.) From what I read, a child may be MORE likely to have a febrile seizure if they are given tylenol/motrin. This is because the medication artifically brings the fever down (the fever is doing its best to fight off the illness) and then when the medication wears off, the child's temperature can easily spike - causing a seizure.
I know it is REALLY scary to wonder and worry if your baby is going to have another seizure. But you are probably better off letting his body fight off the illness without the meds. Fevers are actually a good sign - a sign that the body is fighting off the infection.

Heather, mama to Genevieve (February 1998) and Logan (July 2000)

LJ
Member posted 07-04-2001 03:04 PM
I know the seizure thing can be really frightening. The first few months after our son had his febrile seizure with a fever, I panicked and wanted to give him tylenol or something everytime his temp was a little high (not even a fever). When I finally stopped being so afraid, I let go and let his fevers spike naturally. He doesn't seize at all now that we've stopped giving the medication during the fever. As others have indicated, generally, seizures are scary to watch but okay for the child. Just keep your child safe and reassure them that you're there for them. My thoughts are with you. You will all be okay!

mcaww
Member posted 07-10-2001 12:05 AM
You asked specifically what to do at 2am when the fever is at it's highest. I also know what you are suffering. My son has has 2 febrile seizures and they were both in his sleep (nap). A suggestion I recieved when I wrote in here was to put wet cotton socks on his feet with thick real wool socks on top. It worked for us the next time he had a fever. I just thought I'd add my thoughts to you. Ds has only had 2, but I know the fear. I also don't give red die to ds. I was introduced to the tylenol sepositories in the hospital after his first and now have a stock in the fridge in case. When he gets a small fever now, I monitor every 10 min(write it down) and if it goes up (with my son, I can't say about others') by a full degree in 20-30 min, then I use the sepository. I am by no means a dr, but I believe I have stopped 2 seizures in this way...

mama-mooa
Member posted 07-10-2001 09:22 PM
Thanks for your advice, everyone. I really do know intellectually that the seizures are supposed to be harmless and that doctors don't consider a fever to be a fever unless it's 101 or above, but emotionally I can't get my mind around just letting go and hoping for the best.
Therefore, I've become a temperature taking maniac! I take his temperature (once it's been established that he indeed is warmer than usual)every 10 to 15 minutes. MCAWW, I was interested to read of your method -- I have been struggling with exactly what to do with my temperature information. I too keep a journal, and my rule of thumb has been that I will give a suppositorie if it rises really quickly (I haven't really defined this - 1 degree in 20 minutes sounds like it might work though) or if it gets to 102. Luckily, neither has happened.

I just hate the stress of ds having a fever. Even though it is lowgrade usually, I feel compelled to monitor it to be sure it doesn't spike quickly enough to cause a seizure. DH thinks I'm overdoing it but I just can't help it. Oh well - he's only supposed to be prone to seizures until he's 5 years old, right? Only 3.5 years to go!!!

Lori W
Member posted 07-10-2001 10:39 PM
I agree that suppressing the fever with meds can actually make a seizure more likely because of the risk of a sudden spike in temperature. It is more important that you give plenty of fluids (water, herbal teas), and if you become uncomfortable with how high the fever is (up to 104 is nothing to worry about in such a young child), undress him, take off his diaper, sponge him with a lukewarm or cool washcloth, take baths with him, etc. I know the seizures are scary but they are harmless, and it's his body's way of working through the illness.
Hope he feels better soon.

Lori

User Tag List