Helpp! To the ER we go? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 10-27-2005, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD just bit thru the portion oh her chin just below her lip - I've stopped the bleeding and shes chowing down on a popsicle. Do they stich something like thgat?
#2 of 33 Old 10-27-2005, 06:45 PM

depends how deep it is I would imagine... poor thing!
#3 of 33 Old 10-27-2005, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I agree it probably depends how deep. That happened to a kid I was babysitting one time and his mom just had me butterfly bandage it and he never got stitches. He does still have a scar though, 13 years later.

Desiree

#4 of 33 Old 10-27-2005, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

well - it went all the way through - it has completely stopped bleeding but its just *feels* like I'm supposed to go the ER or it might make me a bad mommy!

Dh - will be home any minute - I'll see what he thinks....
#5 of 33 Old 10-27-2005, 07:12 PM

Owwweeee! That sounds really painful!! How old is she??
#6 of 33 Old 10-27-2005, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

16 months! On the plus side - she seems totally ok now. Shw was standing on the trampoline (with me right next to her) and came to run into my arms and she tripped and wacked her mouth on the metal ring around it....
#7 of 33 Old 10-27-2005, 07:19 PM

I think I would go to the ER for that. All the way through! Yowch.
#8 of 33 Old 10-27-2005, 07:20 PM

Awww... its amazing how resiliant they are though!! My kids are the same. Hang in there and let us know if you go to the ER, k?
#9 of 33 Old 10-27-2005, 07:21 PM

May or may not heal with a hole or gap depending on how big it is and if it went totally through. Also, if it went totally through they may want to make a smaller scar or mark by doing stiches to close it up! I would definitely visit a doctor by morning! Good luck!

Busy wife to dh for 5 years and mama to ds1 (11.09.04), ds2 (7.17.06) and ds3 coming Aug 09. :::
#10 of 33 Old 10-27-2005, 07:23 PM

Yes, go to the ER. If nothing else, prompt stitching will probably minimize scarring.

Mom to Kira March 2009
#11 of 33 Old 10-27-2005, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i bit through to my mouth right under my lower lip also. i was jumping on the trampoline and can down on top of my brother and bit through my lip and then his head. we all went to the ER and he got stitches and i got nothing. i personally would just keep it clean and watch it closely.
#12 of 33 Old 10-27-2005, 08:18 PM

I'd get it stitched. it'd help keep out germs, and minimize scarring.

Kelly, mama (12yoDS), doula, RN, and writer.
There's no where you can be that isn't where you were meant to be, its easy
#13 of 33 Old 10-27-2005, 08:39 PM

How is the little one? Did you take her to the ER?

Christina:~Student mama to Collyn(13), Haylea-Ann (9):, and Natalie (8) , and SO to Jeff.
#14 of 33 Old 10-27-2005, 08:41 PM

children are just the bravest creatures. onward they go, everytime! i'm glad she's ok.

In love with Dh since 1998. We created Ds (7.1.03), Dd (10.16.06) and Dd (3.16.09).
#15 of 33 Old 10-27-2005, 08:54 PM

Are you sure it is all the way through? My dd did the same thing a month or so ago- at first I was sure it was all the way through (called my mom to come look at it... ) By the time she calmed down and I could get a good look at it (well, as good a look as you can get on a toddler...) it didn't look like it was ALL the way through. It stopped bleeding and was fine. We never did anything else for it after ice and wiping it off that day.

It could have been all the way through- I didn't pin her down and manipulate it... I just decided that stitches and ER would be WAY more traumatic than it was worth.

good luck!

-Angela
#16 of 33 Old 10-27-2005, 09:01 PM

I took my son in for 2 stitches last year. He was standing on the toilet to look in the mirror and fell, smacking his chin. It wasnt a huge cut, but everytime he talked it gaped open, so I took him in. They said they could supreglue it, but I heard that stitches are better for a face wound, and the scar would be smaller.
It was 2 stitches and didnt bother him at all, healed nice and you can barely see it now.
#17 of 33 Old 10-27-2005, 09:27 PM

I would just go in. If the outside is injured (which it would be if it went all the way through), the faster they stitch, the less scarring. I'm hoping you haven't updated because you decided to go in.
#18 of 33 Old 10-27-2005, 09:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkin
Yes, go to the ER. If nothing else, prompt stitching will probably minimize scarring.
I thought stitches made more scarring?
#19 of 33 Old 10-27-2005, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaInTheBoonies
I thought stitches made more scarring?
Depends.

I have one scar that was "glued" (dermabonded, really), and the crap fell off in like, less than 2 days. Real nice scar. :

Another I have--about the same depth and length, I insisted be sutured, and the scar is MUCH less noticable.

Also, dermabond may not be a good option depending on the location. The cut is on an area that is likely going to be moved daily (talking, eating, etc), as opposed to her forearm. The dermabond would likely flake off more easily, where as stitches would stay put and hold the skin together as it heals.

And on the face they tend to do more stictches--closer together and smaller--to reduce scars. They may even call in a plastic surgeon if the OP has good insurence or is willing to pay.

Kelly

#20 of 33 Old 10-27-2005, 09:38 PM
Banned

Okay, in my experience, I have never gotten stitches, I have either used butterflies or a certain type of glue and you cannot even tell.

My sister OTOH, always decided on stitches and you can see the scars.

Now, it could just be genetics or healing ability...but then how do I explain the top of her head that has no scar after the doctor tied her hairs together, rather than stitch the wound?

Same with my lil sis, she was climbing on a chair turned upside down and fell on the leg, her teeth went through the bottom of her lip, below her lip, the skin part! And she did not have stitches and you can't even tell that she ever fell. The ER doctors said it would be more traumatic to stitch than to let it heal.
#21 of 33 Old 10-27-2005, 09:40 PM

If you want to get it stiched go to the ER tonight, if you wait until tomorrow it will be too late to stitch it up unless it is really bad, and it doesn't sound that bad. I had some rather deep cuts on my leg and instead of going to the ER I went into my doc the next day. He said the cuts should have gotten stitches but it was too late (12 hours?) so he butterflied them and I have really bad scars.

This is one of the reasons why I LOVE my Peds office (even though they are anti co-sleeping, pro vax, anit about every parenting practice I choose). They are open from 8am -10pm Mon - Fri, and 9am - 8 pm Sat & Sun. It is awesome for times like these.
#22 of 33 Old 10-27-2005, 09:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunnybumm
He said the cuts should have gotten stitches but it was too late (12 hours?) so he butterflied them and I have really bad scars.
: We didn't have insurance, so my mom cleaned my legs(my left leg I could see the bone *shudder*), and then butterflied them right away.
You can barely see the scars, but then again they run the length of my shins, so my shin bones probably help hide them good, too.
I have worn shorts and swimsuits and no one has seemed to notice them.
#23 of 33 Old 10-27-2005, 09:49 PM

MITB, Well it depends on a lot of things. The type of cut for example. Dermabond works best on shallow, straight edged cuts.

Lets say you have 2 cuts, both 1/16th of an inch deep, both 3cm long, both on the calf. One was caused by a razor, the other is a jagged cut by a rusted nail. You go the the ER, and they dermabond the razor cut because it's the easiest thing to do, but they stitch the nail cut. The scars will look SO different, and not really because of how they were treated. kwim?

I have a scar on my arm from when I was 3 and a fish tank fell on me and broke. It wasn't stitched or bonded--just butterflied. I STILL have people asking me "Wow--what happened to your arm?"

IMO(and IME--kinda), if there were 2 perfectly identical cuts and one was treated with dermabond, the other with stitches, the dermabond would look nicer--at first (lets say for 2 mos or so), because the stitched cut will alos have the little dot scars along side the actual cut. But over time, I think the stitched ones heal nicer.

Plenty of things depend on plenty of things! It depends on SO much--location of the cut, nutrition, genetics, current lifestyle factors, skill of the practitioner, nature of the cut, etc etc.

Research it and decide what's right for your family, yk? Personally, as I've said, I like the stitches for most cuts that require treatment. But I'd never think someone was "wrong" in using dermabond (unless it was something crazy, like trying to use dermabond after an appendectomy ).

Kelly

#24 of 33 Old 10-27-2005, 09:57 PM

I hope she's okay.
#25 of 33 Old 10-27-2005, 10:36 PM

I'm thinking of the OP and her dd as well.
#26 of 33 Old 10-28-2005, 02:32 AM - Thread Starter

Just to clear things up...
Yes TOTALLY through, absolutely no doubt what so ever sbout that one. When she was crying a teeny weeny bubble actually came out of it - It looks like 2 1/2 of her little teeth poked all the way through.

After DH came home - he looked at it and said "wow. That went all the way through." (I'm thinking - "well, duh! That's what I've been saying!"). We decide that I would head up the urgent care while he gets the older dd ready for her 1st dance recital and prepares to pick up ds from his afterschool club....
The Urgent care Center says they don't do that sort of thing...sssooo I headed down to the ER. The triage nurses were super nice but 0% helpful. I asked them - does she need stiches? They said "we can't tell you that." SO I asked them what would they do if we stayed. I was told 1st they would strap her into a papoose thing and place her head in a sort of vice (EEK!) Then they would clean it and evaluate if she needed stiches. The whole time they're teling me this she's playing with the nurses stethoscope and giggling. I called dh and in the meantime my good friend called and they were talking about what had happened - apparently she did this THREE times as a kid and never had stiches. So, I told them that I would go home, take dd to her dance thingy, and see how it looked. Then tonight, I was attending a City Council Mtg in CHandler where they were deciding to pass an ordinace giving bfing mamas the right to bf wherever they have the right to be (which passed ) and I was talking to a dad that said when he was skateboarding he had done it a few times and he never had stiches either. SO i'm feeling better about it now. I do plan on making an appt. with her Dr. in the AM, just for safe measures.

Thank you so much mamas!

So now I'm watching for ANY sign of infection - as that is what they seemed most concerned with
#27 of 33 Old 10-28-2005, 02:45 AM
Banned

Sending your dd healing vibes!
#28 of 33 Old 10-28-2005, 07:17 AM

If there's a hole still you could always put a stud in it
#29 of 33 Old 10-28-2005, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishmommy
If there's a hole still you could always put a stud in it
THAT is FUNNY! I
#30 of 33 Old 10-28-2005, 12:45 PM

cool. glad she's okay. I knew that the er would be traumatic... but ugh.

-Angela

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page