#1 of 1 Old 01-08-2002, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Note: This is an archived topic. It is read-only. Mothering Boards
Alternative and Complementary Medicine Archive
Anybody ever try a Neti pot?

This topic was originally posted in this forum: Alternative and Complementary Medicine
Author Topic: Anybody ever try a Neti pot?
Sofiamomma
Member posted 03-25-2001 08:09 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Awhile back, I saw a Neti pot advertised in a Chinaberry catalog and was very drawn to it. Apparently, they are very popular in India (or maybe it was all of Asia) and are used to keep the nasal passages clear, which helps with yogic breathing, cold and sinusitis prevention. I just bought one and have been using it almost a week and I really like it. It's also supposed to rinse away allergens and pollution. Does anyone know if it can help with snoring? Also can it be safely used by children? Dd (4.3) would *really* like to try it too. Perhaps if I decrease the volume of the saline rinse? TIA for any advice.

Lori W
Member posted 03-25-2001 11:01 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't know. If you don't get any responses here you might try posting this very question on http://www.planetherbs.com/, go to the Public Forums area.

Pkaboo3646
Member posted 03-26-2001 06:18 AM
I was just going to post a question about it. I also saw it in the Chinaberry catalog and was thinking about getting it. I have chronic sinus problems and my daughter has allergies. She's only 3 so I wouldn't try it on her, but I might when she's older. So was it hard to learn to use? I would probably drown. How do you not do that? LOL

Sofiamomma
Member posted 03-26-2001 08:43 AM
Pkaboo3646, I wasn't sure I could do it either! I got mine at Wild Oats and it came with great illustrated directions. The trick is in how you hold your head, and you have to keep your mouth open. I was really tickled when I got it to work. I still have little trouble keeping it out of the back of my throat. I think that might be my anatomy though. *Everything* gets caught there. Good luck. Let me know how it goes.

melissa
Member posted 03-26-2001 09:19 AM
My dh has used a neti pot for years and he loves it. Definitely clears the nasal passages. (I tried it, but I just don't like the whole putting water up my nose thing. One of my neuroses, I don't even like putting my head under water to swim.) One of our yoga teachers turned us onto it. She swears by it and claims that it solved her allergy problems.

jenna day
Member posted 03-26-2001 05:54 PM
We love it! We didn't have enough $ to get everyone in the whole family one though so we just throw it in the dishwasher. It's one of the greatest things ever!

kimward
Member posted 03-27-2001 09:11 PM
Neti Pot has saved me during allergy season. There are a couple of different ways you can use it. 1. Tilt your head so that the water drains form the neti pot into your top nostril and out into the sink from your bottom nostril. 2. Tilt your neck backwards and pour the water into one nostril, while holding the other one shut with your finger, so that it drains down the back of your sinus passage. Make sure you keep your throat closed that the water accumulates in your mouth and then spit it out. Once you trust your self to not choke you will be addicted. The trick is to make sure you get the correct amount of salt so that it is similar to the saltiness of tears. Use sea salt instead of table salt as well. It is better for you.
I am amazed at the amount of thick muscus(gross, I know)that comes out as I continue to blow my nose. This is the only way I make it through allergy season not taking drugs. I also use the neti pot three or four times a day when I feel a cold coming on. Better breathing to all!

another
Member posted 04-18-2001 09:41 AM
You can try same technique using one of those soft plastic nose bulbs for pulling mucous out of babys nose. You put the warm salt water mixture in a bowl then squeeze the bulb full.
You tilt your head and squeeze in gently. It feeels wierd. If you don't get the tilt quite right you will know. You have to put your head kind of sideways and up so it runs through to the other side. I use the bulb that has a hard plastic end.

This is harder to clean out and less elegant than neti. But if you want to check out the technique, it is a lot cheaper investment, and you may even already have an old one around. I think this irrigation technique helps prevent colds, etc. By the way, I always do it in the shower or the tub. I'm not coordinated enough to do it over the sink.

yogamama
Moderator posted 04-18-2001 09:52 AM
Yes, I've used it, but not very successfully. I always make quite a mess. In the shower works best for me.
I don't think I would recommend it for a young child until you have mastered it yourself.

Happy Mama
Member posted 04-19-2001 08:18 PM
The Neti Pot is the Best!!!! I can't wait until my kids are old enough to get the swing of it. It would be kinda hard for a young one to manage. But if anyone has found that their child has mastered this technique, please let me know. I have a seven year old just diagnosed with chronic sinuitis (?spelling) The allergist gave me nose spray for her to use everyday, which I feel uncomforable using. At the same time I do not want her to suffer. Has anyone delt with this problem with any of their children?

Treehugger
Member posted 04-20-2001 07:27 AM
I LOVE MY NETI POT!!! We use it every day, and neither of us has had to take allergy medicine in a couple of years. I used to take pills and a nasal spray daily so it has to be good. It just isn't as profitable for the pharm companies, so it stays on a dusty shelf at whole foods stores- what a shame!

queenmom
Member posted 04-20-2001 07:34 PM
Funny you should ask, a friend of ours got one from an aquaintence of hers due to her chronic sinus problem, she loves it so much she bought one for everyone she loves this year for Christmas. I was scared, I confess, but once plagued with a nasty upper Resp. infection, I used it, first time was not so good, second time was smoother and by then, it had done enough to clear me up. That was just 2 days. My friend uses hers everyday in the shower. Good luck, give it a try (or two!)

Sofiamomma
Member posted 04-21-2001 10:14 PM
Hey, it's funny this just came back to the top again, cuz I just used the Neti pot with dd last night. She's not sure she liked it, but she did pretty well. I've pretty much got the hang of it, so I was able to help her position her head, but she still got some in her mouth. "I don't like how it tastes, Mummy!" I was skeptical about using it with her, but she kept asking, and she is plagued by allergies this year, and I had read in another forum about allergies affecting behavior... I'm not sure when she'll be willing to try it again, but she did seem to feel better today. BTW, I decreased the volume by 2/3 or so.

Sanguinegirl
Member posted 05-23-2001 11:32 PM
I thought I would try to get an answer through this thread again before I start a new one: I would like to try this 'neti pot' as 'another' said, with a baby suction bulb, but I haven't a clue on how to mix the solution. Should I use tap water? I am assuming if it is tap water it should be luke-warm? What measurement of salt to water should I start with? Do I make just enough for one rinse or a jar with an amount to last a while? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!
Sang
Sanguinegirl83@aol.com

another
Member posted 06-08-2001 11:34 AM
I make mine fresh. In about 1 pint of warm water I put about 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt. This fills my neti pot twice (once per side). I have also used a buffered solution of equal parts baking soda and sea salt of 1/8 teaspoon baking soda and 1/8 teaspoon sea salt. Be very exact in measuring the buffered solution. I use distilled water or water from our reverse osmosis water purifier. Also, if I use the neti I run warm water through it first. I don't like using cold salt water solution.

another
Member posted 06-08-2001 11:35 AM
One caution on the baby bulb- be GENTLE. Don't use a lot of force. The bulb pushes solution in, the neti uses gravity.

Sanguinegirl
Member posted 06-12-2001 11:38 PM
another,
THANK YOU!! I cannot wait to try it! I got very excited about the possibilities the other day when my neighbor told me that he grew up on the Atlantic coast, and had never heard of anyone having 'sinus' problems until he moved inland! I am thrilled at the idea of a peaceful night's rest WITH MY MOUTH CLOSED and breathing softly through my nose... wish me luck! And thanks again!
Sang

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page