#1 of 25 Old 01-08-2002, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Note: This is an archived topic. It is read-only. Mothering Boards
Alternative and Complementary Medicine Archive
Anything natural for PMS?

This topic was originally posted in this forum: Alternative and Complementary Medicine
Author Topic: Anything natural for PMS?
MINTYJULEPZ
Member posted 04-01-2001 05:17 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't really have a problem with anything but depression and weepiness...ok, and maybe some B****iness. Is there anything natural I can take to feel like myself again?

lisamarie
Member posted 04-01-2001 06:51 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey, I can relate, see my post below on 3/28/01 on PMS and Moods. Had some really good replys and have started taking evening primrose oil, it helped. good luck!

MINTYJULEPZ
Member posted 04-02-2001 01:02 PM
Thanks!

~Hava
Member posted 04-03-2001 12:05 AM
Try chaste berry tea. Very effective.

alianmama
Member posted 04-03-2001 02:52 PM
i made a tea of
dong quai, hormonal balancer
blue and black cohosh, balancer
chamomile, calming
licorice, soothing and cleansing
hops, sedative
chasteberry, hormonal balancer
catnip, relaxant
and a few others that I can't remember right now, but that's the main ingredient list. I mix equal parts of all herbs, make a tea to a strength I can handle, and drink several times a day. It isn't very good-tasting; I began to drink it cold mixed with a tart juice and that got it down.

I shared a batch w/several friends and coworkers, and they all loved it because it
1. eased moodiness
2. decreased cramps, bloating, skin probs etc.
3. made them all sex-hungry! And I'd thought it was just me....

As a side note, I'm the only resident Raw-Foodist that I know of on these boards, and I have to say the in the last year, since I became a 90% raw-fooder, pms crap is GONE along w/ yeast infections, breakouts etc. I have more energy than I EVER had, am strong, clear-headed, my joints don't hurt anymore... and I used to take herbs, vitamins and all sorts of holistic measures in my attempts to better my health. Eating almost all raw food has freed me from all that, and it's really inexpensive to eat that way! Lots of books on amazon.com, and some sites are rawfood.com,
rawfoodists.com

Anyhow, good luck. I've been there and know how miserable you feel.
Blessings,
S

elimarie
Member posted 04-08-2001 05:03 PM
There's a really good book I would recommend on this subject called Fertility, Cycles and Nutrition by Marilyn Shannon. It talks all about diet and how what you eat affects your menstrual cycle in different ways, including PMS.

MINTYJULEPZ
Member posted 04-08-2001 05:10 PM
Thanks, everyone! As far as raw food goes, I'm sure it's extremely healthy. The only problem I have with restrictive diets is that I get SO hungry, I have to eat almost constantly. However, Maybe after dd is weaned, that would be an option. I'm interested in researching it. Also, where do you get the herbs from to make your own tea? Grow them?

val
Member posted 04-08-2001 09:02 PM
I have heard that getting the right kinds of fats in your diet can help that problem. Using cold pressed extra virgin olive oil or a blend of oils that are cold pressed can bring your seratonin levels to normal. I just started using a product by Udo Erasmus which is an oil blend. I bought it at my local health food store. It has given me more energy and I feel more happy. It is kind of expensive, so other options are eating foods with the right kinds of fats: flax seeds, nuts, avocado, salmon. Cut out saturated fats, and substitute the good fats. But don't cook the oils. Put them on your vegies and mix them with mashed potatoes. Spread the oils on bread. Mash avocado and use it as a spread for bread. Doing this will cut down your cravings for the bad fats. Also regular exercise, especially walking outside for 45 minutes each day can do wonders. Good luck!
Val

motherdownunder
Member posted 04-09-2001 03:38 AM
Here's the story of a miracle for you. I've had extreme PMS, and heavy/painful periods ever since my son was born almost 3 years ago and getting worse. I've also been trying to conceive for 8 months with no luck. Finally went to a practitioner of acupuncture and chinese herbs and I'm cured!! The first period I had 2 weeks after starting was vastly improved and now, 2½ months on my quality of life has improved drastically (and so has dh's!) I strongly recommend it.

#2 of 25 Old 01-08-2002, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Anything natural for PMS?

This topic was originally posted in this forum: Alternative and Complementary Medicine
Author Topic: Anything natural for PMS?
MINTYJULEPZ
Member posted 04-01-2001 05:17 PM
I don't really have a problem with anything but depression and weepiness...ok, and maybe some B****iness. Is there anything natural I can take to feel like myself again?

lisamarie
Member posted 04-01-2001 06:51 PM
Hey, I can relate, see my post below on 3/28/01 on PMS and Moods. Had some really good replys and have started taking evening primrose oil, it helped. good luck!

MINTYJULEPZ
Member posted 04-02-2001 01:02 PM
Thanks!

~Hava
Member posted 04-03-2001 12:05 AM
Try chaste berry tea. Very effective.

alianmama
Member posted 04-03-2001 02:52 PM
i made a tea of
dong quai, hormonal balancer
blue and black cohosh, balancer
chamomile, calming
licorice, soothing and cleansing
hops, sedative
chasteberry, hormonal balancer
catnip, relaxant
and a few others that I can't remember right now, but that's the main ingredient list. I mix equal parts of all herbs, make a tea to a strength I can handle, and drink several times a day. It isn't very good-tasting; I began to drink it cold mixed with a tart juice and that got it down.

I shared a batch w/several friends and coworkers, and they all loved it because it
1. eased moodiness
2. decreased cramps, bloating, skin probs etc.
3. made them all sex-hungry! And I'd thought it was just me....

As a side note, I'm the only resident Raw-Foodist that I know of on these boards, and I have to say the in the last year, since I became a 90% raw-fooder, pms crap is GONE along w/ yeast infections, breakouts etc. I have more energy than I EVER had, am strong, clear-headed, my joints don't hurt anymore... and I used to take herbs, vitamins and all sorts of holistic measures in my attempts to better my health. Eating almost all raw food has freed me from all that, and it's really inexpensive to eat that way! Lots of books on amazon.com, and some sites are rawfood.com,
rawfoodists.com

Anyhow, good luck. I've been there and know how miserable you feel.
Blessings,
S

elimarie
Member posted 04-08-2001 05:03 PM
There's a really good book I would recommend on this subject called Fertility, Cycles and Nutrition by Marilyn Shannon. It talks all about diet and how what you eat affects your menstrual cycle in different ways, including PMS.

MINTYJULEPZ
Member posted 04-08-2001 05:10 PM
Thanks, everyone! As far as raw food goes, I'm sure it's extremely healthy. The only problem I have with restrictive diets is that I get SO hungry, I have to eat almost constantly. However, Maybe after dd is weaned, that would be an option. I'm interested in researching it. Also, where do you get the herbs from to make your own tea? Grow them?

val
Member posted 04-08-2001 09:02 PM
I have heard that getting the right kinds of fats in your diet can help that problem. Using cold pressed extra virgin olive oil or a blend of oils that are cold pressed can bring your seratonin levels to normal. I just started using a product by Udo Erasmus which is an oil blend. I bought it at my local health food store. It has given me more energy and I feel more happy. It is kind of expensive, so other options are eating foods with the right kinds of fats: flax seeds, nuts, avocado, salmon. Cut out saturated fats, and substitute the good fats. But don't cook the oils. Put them on your vegies and mix them with mashed potatoes. Spread the oils on bread. Mash avocado and use it as a spread for bread. Doing this will cut down your cravings for the bad fats. Also regular exercise, especially walking outside for 45 minutes each day can do wonders. Good luck!
Val

motherdownunder
Member posted 04-09-2001 03:38 AM
Here's the story of a miracle for you. I've had extreme PMS, and heavy/painful periods ever since my son was born almost 3 years ago and getting worse. I've also been trying to conceive for 8 months with no luck. Finally went to a practitioner of acupuncture and chinese herbs and I'm cured!! The first period I had 2 weeks after starting was vastly improved and now, 2½ months on my quality of life has improved drastically (and so has dh's!) I strongly recommend it.

#3 of 25 Old 01-08-2002, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

help my period has become a flood

Author Topic: help my period has become a flood
ooka
Member posted 04-22-2001 12:48 AM
i used to have a very light period with no pms symptoms
after baby #1 my cycle came back with extreme irregularity
after baby #2 now the floodgates have burst
they are not regular but i know when to expect them because i am charting my cycle and know when i ovulate
but now i get gutwrenching cramps and bleed so bad i borrow a diaper from the baby to contain it
(im serious- i can go through a super+ tampon and a hospital size pad in one hour
does anyone else experience this?
any suggestions?

Tracymama
Member posted 04-22-2001 07:11 AM
The same thing happens to me--have to use my kid's disposable diapers! The doctor said it was normal!! I beg to differ. Haven't gotten a second opinion, but when period returns (I am tandem nursing now.), I probably will. I may end up seeking alternative treatment, diet changes. You might read up in "Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom" by Christiane Northrup, if you haven't already.

greenmom
Member posted 05-02-2001 11:59 AM
Eating cinnamon is said to lessen periods. I think it does work. Maybe sometimes echinacea works in the first day of a period too, Using blackstrap molasses in breakfast cereal during periods, I've always thought lessened mine also.

gilnikche
Moderator posted 05-02-2001 05:55 PM
ooka,
Have you ever been checked for uterine fibroids? This is the most common cause of excess bleeding.

greenmom
Member posted 05-16-2001 01:07 PM
Try eating a lot of good organic, and fresh cinnamon. If it's fresh it looks a very bright color and has a real strong taste like fire ball candies. Also some blackstrap in your cooked cereal. 7-grain cereal hides blackstrap really well.

Stacie
Member posted 05-17-2001 07:03 AM
I drank Red Raspberry leave tea - after the birth of my last child.
Red Raspberry leaf helps to strengthen the entire female reproductive organs.

It took about a month but my cramping and bleeding returned to normal.

TreeLove
Member posted 05-17-2001 07:31 AM
I've noticed an intensity in my flow also. I like to use cloth pads, but I can only use the overnight size and then I still have to change them every 1-2 hours!

ooka
Member posted 05-17-2001 09:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by gilnikche:
ooka,
Have you ever been checked for uterine fibroids? This is the most common cause of excess bleeding.

omg youre scaring me
maybe when i find a gyn i can trust

im going to try the cinamon and rasberry leaf an d blackstrap molasses first and see if that helps
i just got through another drencher

WingingIt
unregistered posted 05-17-2001 07:15 PM
ooka!!
I had no intention of scaring you. Uterine fibroids are benign (not cancer). A doc can usually tell from a GYN exam. Usually an ultrasound is ordered to confirm the diagnosis. There is a lot of information out there. I will try to see if I can find some info for you

WingingIt
unregistered posted 05-17-2001 07:45 PM
I found a good source of info for you:
http://www.uterinefibroids.com/

gardenmommy
Member posted 05-18-2001 09:16 AM
Another thing to consider is a hormone imbalance. It's possible that your body is making to much estrogen and not enough progesterone. Two good books to read on this topic are What your Doctor May Not Tell You About Menopause and What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Premenopause, both written by John R. Lee, M.D. I got my copy at my local health food store for $15. You can also order them through the Couple to Couple League at www.ccli.org or 1-800-745-8252. This is definitely not normal, so don't accept as such. Keep searching for answers. Best of luck, Margaret
P.S. sometimes things such as endometriosis, cysts, and fibroids are caused or exacerbated by hormone imbalances. I would definitely get this checked out.

WingingIt
unregistered posted 05-21-2001 12:09 AM
ooka,
Are you okay? Did you check out the site? Please let us know!!

FYI: The site I posted above describes the cramps as "death cramps". Yes, fibroids are caused by too much Estrogen & you can become severely anemic from blood loss.

[This message has been edited by WingingIt (edited 05-21-2001).]

RedOwlLady
Member posted 06-02-2001 12:54 PM
This is so wild!
I came upon this post by accident...This is my 2nd cycle after my 3rd baby and I can't tell you how much "flow" I've been having!!!(tons)
I too use glad rags and love them I also use a sponge and am very happy with it. Both these things combined and I'm still changing ervery hour or so...

You know, I used to drink r.rasp.leaf tea religously, but have been burned out by it and ventured on to other teas.... Maybe I should go back!!

Any way, I think this is a good sign to get me back to drinking it! Truthfully, I'v started to celebrated my lunar cycles (I've read and enjoyed dr. Northrup's book) and am trying to establish good vibes while I'm on it for my dds' sake, but all this blood is trying.....

--amy

Cynthia in Arabia
Moderator posted 06-03-2001 04:16 AM
ooka you didn't mention how long it's been since you delivered. It is quite normal to have irregular cycles and flows when your periods return after birth. Mine take anywhere from a year to 18 months to really get back to normal. I believe the body slowly returns the normal balance of hormones in some of us, rather than suddenly. Though we may have to tolerate the heavy bleeding and irregular periods for a time other women who have an immediate return of normal periods and flow suffer other difficulties.
An infusion of Shepherd's purse and nettle is great for heavy menstrual bleeding. Make an infusion using 7.5 grams of each herb to 750 ml. of water. Divide into 3-4 doses and drink throughout the day. It should help you have a more normal flow. You could use Shepherd's purse alone too (15g). The nettle is for the iron content since you've been losing so much blood.

~Cynthia

natureslink
Member posted 06-04-2001 09:45 AM
I agree with gardenmommy! Something similar happend to me after baby #1. I took a combination of herbs called FC with Dong Quai from Nature's Sunshine products. I could tell a big difference the first month. The book reccommended is a AWESOME book by Dr. John Lee. He really leads the way in this field and the over proscribing of estrogen. Try to find a natural progesterone cream. I use this now and it is so nice just to rub on rather then taking pills. When I was pg with baby #2, I took red raspberry capsules thruout the entire pg. This helped with labor and also the cramping that most women experience. This is not normal and you are right to find what is causing this "over-flo" Best of luck
Robin

rebamama
Member posted 06-11-2001 02:32 PM
Don't take anything with Don Quai if you're nursing though!

mahra
Member posted 07-26-2001 11:15 AM
Don't be afraid of uterine fibroids. I was having horrible problems with bleeding and anemia unitl I was diagnosed. I did have to have day surgery to have them removed, they do have alternatives to this, but I am fine now and they are not anything to be worried about, they aren't cancerous, just big lumps of fiberous tissue. Actually got pregnant for the first time shortly after having them removed, no problems! Don't worry, get checked out!

rebamama
Member posted 07-26-2001 12:44 PM
Hehehe...ooka doesn't have to worry about it now cuz she's pregnant

#4 of 25 Old 06-10-2002, 02:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My little sister has always had very irregular and very painful cramps during her period. Her Drs. always tell her to take the birth control pill to control this, but she doesn't want to. She wants to find out if there are any more natural solutions. Any ideas?
#5 of 25 Old 06-10-2002, 09:45 AM

Before I got pregnant I had horrible periods/cramps that would have me doubled over for days. I finally found relief in an herbal combination of Cramp Bark and Kava Kava. I'm sorry I don't remember the brand at the moment. I picked mine up at my local health food store. If you take them the moment the cramping begins, they really help. They are pricey, but it got to the point where I would've paid any amount for relief. I also take a Calcium/Magnesium combo which helps as well.

Good Luck!
#6 of 25 Old 06-10-2002, 11:39 AM

A tincture called Crampbark Complex by Motherlove works wonders! I've used it for years and love it! I used to get cramps so bad I would vomit - no more! I have also been having a super-soy shake for breakfast everyday for severral months now and my other PMS symptoms have just about disappeared.
#7 of 25 Old 06-10-2002, 11:50 AM

I have heard that wild yam cream works. it is a natural progesterone and typically if you are haveing cramps and such it is because you are low on that.
#8 of 25 Old 06-10-2002, 12:56 PM

I had the same experience, but I hated the bc pills. What I found out (on my own, btw) is that I can handle menstrual cramps by using essentially the same relaxation techniques we learned in Bradley method childbirth classes.

I take a few ibuprofin tablets if the cramps are really bad, but the key is that if I start to feel pain I relax my muscles (sometimes it's a good idea to sit on the toilet while relaxing).

I'm not talking about mild cramps, either. Before I figured out how to relax through the cramps I sometimes couldn't even walk when I got them. Now I never even have to miss a day of work.

AmyB
#9 of 25 Old 06-10-2002, 07:59 PM

Homeopathic Mag Phos does it for me - but Belladonna is good for it too. I had vicodin 750mg worthy cramps and those two did it for me!
#10 of 25 Old 06-10-2002, 10:41 PM

Vitex (a.k.a. chaste berry extract) balances progesterone levels in the body and reduces cramping, P.M.S., and other uncomfortable menstrual symptoms. I'm using Vitex tincture right now and I'm very satisfied with the results.
#11 of 25 Old 06-11-2002, 11:11 AM

that yesterday morning I was feeling fine when I first replied to this thread about cramps. Yesterday evening mine came on fast and furious and I was down and out all evening/night long. This morning I'm a little better, but still pretty miserable. Now my question is, can we take any of these while still nursing? I see the chaste berry must be ok, since you are still nursing.

What about the others in case I can't find the chaste berry? Does anyone know if I can take cramp bark/kava kava? I know it works for me, but I don't know if I can have it while nursing. I've got to find something today.
#12 of 25 Old 06-11-2002, 11:54 AM

I know you can take the homeopathics whiel nursing - they are totally safe for nursing and PG women - not that you need them if your PG but if you did you could take them...
#13 of 25 Old 06-11-2002, 12:07 PM

BTW- congratulations on your impending Capricorn! My twin sister and I were born 12-28. Enjoy your pregnancy!
#14 of 25 Old 06-11-2002, 12:23 PM

Thank You! I don't know what the universe is trying to teach me but it must be something! DH is a Capricorn (1/13) DD is one (1/3) and we got married in Capricorn(12/22)! To top it off I have a Capricorn Rising! Must be something!!!
#15 of 25 Old 06-13-2002, 08:01 PM

Have you looked into chiropractic care. Reduction in menstrual cramps is a frequent response to care, at least with the patients I have seen. More normal cycles, less cramping and less back pain are all results that I've seen with my patients. E-mail me if you have more questions!

I just LOVE this banana guy!

AP, Homeschooling, Part-Time working mom with 3 rambunctious boys fencing.gifbabyf.gifall born with love at home. (04 & 08 & 12).

#16 of 25 Old 06-13-2002, 09:24 PM

I know no one like to hear this, but...

Improving the diet does wonders! I used to have cramps every month, but since I became a healthy-eating vegan, I haven't had even one uncomfortable cycle. (I attribute it mostly to eliminating dairy.) In fact, I actually feel great while I'm bleeding; I now have a womanly feeling rather than an "icky/crampy/backache" feeling.
#17 of 25 Old 06-13-2002, 09:37 PM

I dunno...a good friend of mine is vegan and yet she seems to have the most painful cramps of all.
#18 of 25 Old 06-13-2002, 09:43 PM

Really? Does she eat healthy (plenty of good fat, no refined sugar or flour)? If so, I must say I've never heard of that before.
#19 of 25 Old 06-17-2002, 05:10 PM

You might want to try dong quai. Before I got pg. I was taking it to make my cycles more regular and it helped tremendously with cramp and breast tenderness - I didn't have any while taking it!!! I took two 100 mg (?) capsules twice a day. It takes a month or two of taking them to notice any changes. You can't take it while nursing I believe.
#20 of 25 Old 06-17-2002, 05:12 PM

I meant to say your sister might want to try taking dong quai!!

BTW, my natural family planning teacher said to stay away from wild yam cream if you don't want to get pg.
#21 of 25 Old 06-17-2002, 10:55 PM

My periods are easiest when I let them flow- no tampons, and cloth pads not disposable.
#22 of 25 Old 06-18-2002, 03:16 AM

Thanks so much for all the info. I will keep passing along all these great suggestions.
#23 of 25 Old 06-22-2002, 12:35 PM

Raspberry Leaf tea!!!! Every day!! It works wonders for all womany things...honestly. I am drinking tons of it right now for my pregnancy but rrl tea helped me through some very painful teen years. The best tea I have ever had is at www.compleatmother.com , it is organic and fresh and lovely.

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#24 of 25 Old 06-24-2002, 01:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Kava kava taken simultaneously with ibuprofen works well for me. (It's also good for tension headaches!) Another favorite technique is lying on my back with feet elevated. At work I can't lie down, but it's almost as helpful to slouch in my chair and rest calves on corner of desk; I can adjust the positions of mouse and keyboard and still get some types of work done in that position!

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#25 of 25 Old 06-25-2002, 06:39 PM

I haven't tried these, but got it from a friend who says it works great.

Menstrual cramps respond to essential oils
>especially when used in a warm bath with Epsom
>
>and Sea Salt.
>
>
>
>Essential Oils useful for cramps are:
>
>Chamomile
>
>Cypress
>
>Basil
>
>Carrot Seed
>
>Frankincense
>
>Clary Sage
>
>Juniper
>
>Jasmine
>
>Lavender
>
>Marjoram
>
>Nutmeg
>
>Peppermint
>
>Rosemary
>
>
>
>Here's another recepie
>
>5 drops Lavender
>
>2 drops Cypress
>
>2 drops Nutmeg
>
>2 drops Peppermint
>
>add to bath salts, soak for 20 min.
>
>Rest afterwards, elevating your legs.
>
>

As for Homeopathy I used Lachesis for cramps before period starts. I took it last month for cramps, and actually didn't get any this month. It depends totally on her symptoms, and she may want to get a good book, to look up what the right remedy would be for her (there really are too many to pick an choose). Miranda Castro has some great books.

HTH

Edited for spelling

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page