my little one has a fever :( - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 10-28-2005, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is shaylee's first prolonged fever. She's staying right around 101 and has been since last night. I know the fever is not the enemy and it's just her body fighting off illness but deep down i'm still terribly afraid of fevers.

Shaylee will be 9 months on the second. Right now she's nursing almost constantly, which we're encouraging. Every six hours or so she has some apple sauce or banana with her milk and takes a 3-4 nap. most of the time she just wants to cuddle with momma. We're in florida so we have her in just a diaper right now (We usually EC during the afternoon but she dosen't want to be off my lap for a moment)

What else can we do to make her comfortable? How long before I should start worrying??
#2 of 21 Old 10-28-2005, 04:52 PM

Sounds like you're doing a great job mama. I know how hard it is when they're not themselves. Personally, with 101 I don't think I'd worry too much as long as there doesn't seem to be any other worrisome things going on. I'd give it at least 5 days if nothing else is really going on.

Vitamin c- take a bunch yourself and try to get some in her. Sodium ascorbate.

-Angela
#3 of 21 Old 10-28-2005, 05:04 PM

It's hard too see them not feeling well!

DS is almost 9mo and had his first fever this past week - got up 100.7

I dressed him in a sleeper b/c DH had had a fever the day before and had chills, so I figured I'd dress DS warmly and monitor him to see if he seemed too hot. He was fine. (we're in FL too) After about a day and a half of fever, it was gone. He had diarrhea the rest of the day and has been fine ever since.

I took extra vit C like Angela suggested and offered the breast at every chance.

Hope she feels better soon!

WAHMama to Allen (2-10-05) and Alexa (6-27-08)
#4 of 21 Old 10-28-2005, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

i'm just worried i remember terrible fevers as a child and going to the hospital and being put into ice (they don't still do that right???) she's just laying on my chest right now. i remember reading somewhere that you shouldn't bundle a fevered child up. Just enough clothes to be comfortable. It is hot right now so i figured a diaper would be comfortable (that's what about the amount of clothing i'd wear if i could get away with it) you think putting her into her Wrap would be OK? She likes it and it would let me move a little.
#5 of 21 Old 10-28-2005, 05:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Poor baby! I think you are doing everything right. If she is sleeping for that long, I would think she isn't in too much pain. I would say give it a few more days, and hold her tight and nurse, nurse nurse, which you are already doing!

I know how scary a fever is, and as a mom, it is hard to not always jump to some horrible conclusion. I am usually up all night when one of my boys is sick, because I can't relax and they're sleeping soundly ! I usually end up sick a few days later just because of exhuastion. After 7 years I am finally learning to just snuggle in with them, sleep when they sleep, and then I am healthy for them when they get better. So take care of babe, but don't forget to take care of you too.

#6 of 21 Old 10-28-2005, 06:13 PM

I think the wrap would be fine.

No, they don't still do the ice thing. The fever is her friend - it needs to burn up whatever it's working on so she can get rid of it.

WAHMama to Allen (2-10-05) and Alexa (6-27-08)
#7 of 21 Old 10-28-2005, 06:33 PM

Not looking to get burnt here...but on a VERY FEW occasions when my child has had a high fever and was obviously miserable and suffering and a cool bath/homeopathics didn't help much....I have broken down and given the EVIL advil.......it makes a HUGE difference right away. I wouldnt give it unless the child seemed VERY uncomfortable. I personally would give *myself* some relief if I were truly that miserable (i have horrible memories of trying to "tough it out" through a bad case of flu a few years ago....the tylenol I finally took that took my fever down was like manna from heaven!!!), even though I know that in the long run letting the fever alone is probably best, so I reason that I should give her some relief also. We also give lots of Vit C during an illness.

Probably, she just needs cuddling and love......just keep repeating to yourself "Fevers are not bad or dangerous!"

CPST
#8 of 21 Old 10-28-2005, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

No burning from me, I did try a dose of tylenol after the first 12 hours but it had absolutly no effect so I didn't continue. she dosen't seem miserable really. Just more tired than usual. she's still smiling and playing, as long as i don't even think about putting her down.
#9 of 21 Old 10-28-2005, 07:48 PM

We've just been through Eleanor's first fever (she's 15 mos.) It went all the way up to 103 before it came back down. I was a bit worried, but I resisted the urge to give tylenol and just tried to nurse and keep her comfortable. It passed after about 24 hours and she's fine now. I know I've been conditioned to worry about fevers, and thinking of them as something not to treat has been hard to do.

I hope she's feeling better soon.

Keri, wife to Tony, mom to five DDs: M ('96), S('01), E('04), A('07) and J('10);
#10 of 21 Old 10-28-2005, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtladyfare
No burning from me, I did try a dose of tylenol after the first 12 hours but it had absolutly no effect so I didn't continue. she dosen't seem miserable really. Just more tired than usual. she's still smiling and playing, as long as i don't even think about putting her down.

I too found that tylenol did nothing, it has to be advil/Motrin (ibuprofen). If you use homeopathy, it sounds like the extreme clinginess might indicate Pulsatilla? Otherwise, i think belladonna is good for fevers.

CPST
#11 of 21 Old 10-29-2005, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Fever: day 2. She woke up and it was High like 103-104 but after a quick tepid bath it went down and didn't get back that high. Her ped says if it's not gone by tommorow we need a visit to the er I decided to try motrin to avoid the ER. it brings it down alot but it isn't gone. I'm taking Vit. C and nursing like mad. She's still such a happy baby and isn't acting sick. I hate, hate, HATE the idea of the ER. One i don't think 18 hours in line is fun and it's almost always that long here if your not on death's door. I also have no idea what they'd do to her. What's the er treatment for prolonged fever?
#12 of 21 Old 10-29-2005, 08:09 PM

Personally no way I'd take a 9 month old to er for just a fever and nothing else. I'd wait until monday and see the ped. if anything.

good luck!

-Angela
#13 of 21 Old 10-29-2005, 08:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I have to agree that the ER seems to be a very drastic step for a child with a fever who is acting fine. My family doc. says even with a high fever, if your baby is acting alright, let the fever run itself out. Plenty of fluid (breastmilks the best), lots of rest, and lots of cuddles. It seems that babies are more prone to higher fevers than adults, so a 103-104 fever in a baby isn't as bad as one in an adult. Not sure why just what the doc. told us. If you are concerned and it gets to 104 and she seems uncomfortable, give her some advil. I would definately advuse waiting until Monday and seeing the ped.

I am very surprised though that your pediatricians office doesn't have anyone on call on the weekends to see you if necessary. The 3 pediatrician offices we ever dealt with always had someone to come in if they thought it was necessary, maybe that is unusual. I wonder if the pediatrician doesn't want to be bothered so is sending you to the ER?

#14 of 21 Old 10-29-2005, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Honestly, this is why I HATE my insurance. My ped is good but is compleatly unavaliable nights/weekends. it's my peds ANSWERING SERVICE that's sending me to the ER.
#15 of 21 Old 10-29-2005, 11:24 PM

Well then, double bah. No reason for er and lots of reasons not to.

-Angela
#16 of 21 Old 10-30-2005, 01:09 AM

If your child is not acting sick, do not panic. Only if your child is listless, hard to wake, dehydrated, etc, should you go to the doc.......and under no circumstances other than I believed my child was going to die right now/major trauma like a broken bone would I go to the ER. That is just ASKING for trouble, stupidity, useless potentially harmful "treatment", stupidity, long waits and possibly rude treatment, and did i mention stupidity?

Hope your angel gets well soon,

CPST
#17 of 21 Old 10-30-2005, 01:24 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I think your baby is fine- definitely no need for an ER visit, and probably no reason for a ped visit either. You're doing the right things- lots of fluids and cuddling is all a sick child really "needs."

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#18 of 21 Old 11-01-2005, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Just letting everyone know, Shaylee has Rosiola (sp) She got the rash today after a 3 day fever
#19 of 21 Old 11-01-2005, 07:07 PM

Cool. Check that one off the childhood disease list.

hope she's feeling better.

-Angela
#20 of 21 Old 11-01-2005, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

She's refusing any solid food but we don't consider that to be a big deal. Glad I have a ped that says "If she's nursin' leave her be, she's fine!"
#21 of 21 Old 11-01-2005, 09:57 PM

Vitamin C is great for treating fevers.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page