#1 of 1 Old 01-08-2002, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Note: This is an archived topic. It is read-only. Mothering Boards
Alternative and Complementary Medicine Archive
Growing Pains?

This topic was originally posted in this forum: Alternative and Complementary Medicine
Author Topic: Growing Pains?
Mapenzi
Member posted 04-13-2001 09:53 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My dd has been waking up at night complaining of her muscles hurting in her thigh, calf, foot, and arms. It's usually only at night, and it won't stop until I massage it for a while. Has anyone heard of this…is it just growing pains? I also plan to ask my Naturopath, but does anyone know of a natural muscle cream I can use to relax these cramps that is gentle enough to use on her? 2-1/2yo
TIA, Mapenzi

circlemama
Member posted 04-13-2001 10:35 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
arnicare is a natural muscle cream, but I
don't know if it's ok for the little ones.

Cynthia in Arabia
Moderator posted 04-14-2001 10:36 AM
My daughter has complained about the same thing for a few years now. It's very infrequent sometimes months will pass and not a pain will occur then suddenly she'll complain that her calf or knee hurts. I've found that a damp hand towel wrapped around the painful area calms her pain and she falls asleep again quickly, pain all gone in the morning. I do believe it's growing pains but that's just my thought, no medical expertise to back that up.
~Cynthia

Cynthia in Arabia
Moderator posted 04-15-2001 06:37 AM
I posted yesterday but for some reason it didn't show on the boards. Hmmm...
My now 7yo dd has often complained about similar pains at night. I've found a damp face cloth wrapped around the aching area soothes her and puts her to sleep quickly. I've always believed it to be growing pains but that's just my humble opinion.

~Cynthia

nursing mother
Member posted 04-15-2001 06:54 PM
Hi, I don't recomend this to every one, but what finally worked for my 3 year old when she was having leg cramps or "growing pains" was to rub her leg with Ben Gay then wrap her leg up with a warm flannel diaper. The burning didn't seems to bother her if fact she said she liked it and it help me and my dh to get more sleep instead of rubbing her leg endlessly at night. Nursing Mother

lisamarie
Member posted 04-15-2001 09:35 PM
my ds who is 4.5 yrs. old gets these only at night too. In fact, he wakes up screaming. I feel so bad for him. We massage his legs and usually put a bandaid on his foot, leg, etc. Its scarey though.

Mapenzi
Member posted 04-16-2001 01:32 PM
Thanks ladies. Circlemama, do you know if Arnicare and Arnica are the same? I know Arnica is good for bumps and bruises, but I didn't know if it was good for just muscle cramping.

megerina
Member posted 04-16-2001 02:41 PM
We have good luck with giving the kids a Tums, referred to in our household as "magic growing pain pills." Seems to work on all but the most stubborn cases.

Mapenzi
Member posted 04-20-2001 07:06 PM
Hi there. I thought I'd share about a calcium/magnesium supplement I found in a local health store. It's called CalSnack and is chewable calcium/magnesium with vanilla/orange flavor. The Naturopath there recommended it to me and said I should give dd half, an hour before bed. Let's see if this cuts down on night waking massages.
Mapenzi

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page