staples in the head and antibiotic question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-01-2005, 01:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Great title huh?

My almost 4 year old dd was climbing her bedroom window today to look at her brother outside and slipped and fell cutting the back of her head. It bled quite a bit as most head injuries do but seemed to be OK. We went out trick or treating and stopped at a friend's house for a drink and potty break. I had my hand on her head and noticed wet blood. We came home and I rinsed her hair and dabbed at the cut a bit which was not blleeding but still oozing. I used a gauze pad and applied good pressure. After 15 minutes it did not seem to be any better.

I finally decided to take her to the ER (this was about 4 and a half hours after the fall) and am glad I did as the cut was actually quite a bit longer and deeper than I had originally been able to see. They put 3 staples in and closed it up nicely. Luckily the Dr there is great and had no problem with me holding her the whole time, she actually expected me too.

So my question is this. She was given a prescription for Keflex. Sarah was so ready to go home I did not even ask why, I just shoved it in my purse and headed out. I am assuming it is because they fear infection? Is this really a necessary step? Is it because of the staples? We have dealt with stitches before and have never been prescribed med but have never had staples before.

TIA
~Stephanie
#2 of 8 Old 11-01-2005, 01:49 AM

My guess would be because of the delay in getting the staples...time for germs to get in. If you put staples in it might "trap" the germs. I am not familiar with staples and dont know if it is a common practice with them.
#3 of 8 Old 11-01-2005, 01:54 AM

I don't know about the antibiotics, but having just been in the ER twice in 3 days it occurs to me that they usually give a number and tell you to call if you have questions about your treatment or the discharge instructions etc.
#4 of 8 Old 11-01-2005, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. Mavery, I am sure they will have a wonderful reason for prescribing the abx, I just doubt it is something I will think is necessary. If I say that, I am sure they will have another reason she needs them.
#5 of 8 Old 11-01-2005, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnrsmom
Mavery, I am sure they will have a wonderful reason for prescribing the abx, I just doubt it is something I will think is necessary.
Of course they will, I just thought the reason might help you to decide....
#6 of 8 Old 11-01-2005, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

True.
#7 of 8 Old 11-01-2005, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

#8 of 8 Old 11-01-2005, 08:28 PM

My gut instinct would be not to get them but to watch it. If it started looking infected I'd get the rx

-Angela

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page