9 month old has nasty cough, congestion - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 11-02-2005, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 9 month old has what I now believe is a cold (I thought bf'ed babies didn't get sick!) he's been coughing since yesterday and has been congested for 3 or 4 days (thought it was teething at first). He's not running a temp, he's sleeping right now.

Anything I can do for him? OTC meds? We don't have a natural health food store within 3 hours drive so I don't have access to any natural stuff (the only thing we have are Hylands Teething Tablets)

Please help, my poor baby is misrable

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
#2 of 10 Old 11-02-2005, 08:19 PM

Q hasn't been seriously sick yet (knock on wood), but when she's stuffed up or has a runny nose I put some tea tree essential oil or eucalyptus essential oil in the diffuser and let that go for a few hours. That seems to make her breathing much easier and clears everything up.

Good luck!
#3 of 10 Old 11-02-2005, 08:23 PM

how about a humidifier with some vicks in it???
#4 of 10 Old 11-02-2005, 08:24 PM

I just got over a nasty cough, the things that I did that could be modified to fit a 9-month old (lucky adult me, I got to drink hot tea with lemon and suck on cough drops ):
Nurse as much as he is willing.
Run the shower as hot as possible for awhile in the bathroom to make a steamy room and cuddle him in there.
Hold him upright as much as possible, including elevating his head for sleeping (e.g. rest his head on your chest, rest of the body on the bed)
Try to remove as much goo as possible from his nose, everything that drips down the back of his throat will increase the duration of the cough.

Since I know *nothing* about infant medications, I'll leave that advice to someone else.
#5 of 10 Old 11-02-2005, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks mamas! I knew I could get real help here! Everyone else says take him to Urgent Care...so not what I want to do since he's 'behind' in his vaccinations.

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
#6 of 10 Old 11-02-2005, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Urgent care? For a cold? You've gotten good advice here, mama. Also, I like johnsons baby vapor rub. It's more mellow than vicks, but since it's johnson's , it may have some harsh-ish ingredients, I find it helps, though.
#7 of 10 Old 11-02-2005, 09:04 PM

Do what the pp's have suggested and keep an eye out for secondary infection-fever, ear pain, green mucous, deep cough (wracking). If it is just a cold, your little one should be fine soon. Hope he feels better soon!
#8 of 10 Old 11-02-2005, 10:29 PM

You can express/pump some breastmilk and use a dropper to put some in his nose. Wait a bit, then suction. It's an amazing decongestant. It will only last for a few hours, but that is a precious amount of time when a little baby is sick. It needs to be fresh breastmilk, btw.

I'm sorry - there's nothing worse than sick babies.
#9 of 10 Old 11-03-2005, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicokatt
Urgent care? For a cold? You've gotten good advice here, mama. Also, I like johnsons baby vapor rub. It's more mellow than vicks, but since it's johnson's , it may have some harsh-ish ingredients, I find it helps, though.
It really helps my baby when she's stuffy. I also put saline drops in her nose to help loosen things up (I don't use a bulb-thingy, tho). And yeah, I wouldn't take him to the urgent care unless he had a fever that wouldn't go down. All they'll do is give him an antibiotic and you don't want that. Also, when my baby starts to get a cold I take some extra Vit. C hoping she'll get some in my milk. The plus is that it'll boost my immunity!

Hope he's feeling better soon!
#10 of 10 Old 11-03-2005, 12:51 PM

Fever? No fever? Cough: decongest (break up the phlegm in his lungs) using steam and something like eucalyptus/tto. Menthol works but is stingingly strong, so not much for little guy. But vicks you can get at the supermarket and just rub a bit on his t-shirt before bed. It'll work all night, usually. Drippy nose - nada, just keep the tissues handy LOL. Stuffy nose? same as chest cough. GOTTA clear the lungs, or he could worsen into bronchitis/pneumonia. Keep him strong w/lots of bm, and even some slices of orange/lemon to suck on (if he will). Unless he has allergies. We use baby echinacea too, but that's a hfs kind of thing. though you can order it online. also we use sambucal, which is elderberry liquid. they don't love it because it's strong, but it does boost immunity big time. good luck!!!

Also remember, that teething can make all colds worse, and there's not much you can do to help THAT.

Mama to B and O , wife to J and me to me! :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page