Newborn with nasal congestion - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 11-16-2005, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I took my 2-week-old DD to the ped. on Monday with some pretty bad nasal congestion. The ped. listened to her chest and said she had a little chest congestion, but mostly nasal. She recommended Pediacare Decongestant & Cold Infant Drops, which I vetoed because I am not going to medicate my 2-week-old unless I absolutely have to. She also recommended saline nose drops combined with suctioning with the bulb syringe, which I have been doing 2-3 times a day (Little Noses saline drops/spray) without much result. Yesterday a little bit of the (clear) mucus I suctioned out was blood-tinged, but only a tiny bit and only one time. The ped. also suggested that I take her in the bathroom and turn on the hot water faucet and "steam" her basically for 15-20 minutes, then do chest-tapping. She said she would then either cough or vomit the mucus out. I wasn't comfortable with this because I was afraid of overheating DD. Bottom line, the congestion does not seem to be getting better, so I feel like I need to do something else. I don't want to take her back to the ped. because she's going to ask if I am giving her the Pediacare, and I'm not and not planning on it. (She's a very mainstream dr., that's all I have been able to find in this podunk place.)

What would you do for a 2.5-week-old with a cold/nasal congestion?

Thanks in advance, mamas!!!
#2 of 13 Old 11-16-2005, 02:16 PM

All newborns have nasal/chest congestion. Mine certainly did almost from the day he was born. I wouldn't worry about it too much, unless it seems very hard for her to breathe.
#3 of 13 Old 11-16-2005, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Jerawo, the reason I'm worried about this congestion is because she never had any until the day she turned two weeks old, and this was a couple of days after my son and I had gotten over a cold. It might be just the newborn nasal congestion, though -- I just figured it was the cold her brother and I had, since we co-sleep and she is always in my arms.

But let's say your newborn had an actual COLD with nasal/chest congestion. Would you do anything for him/her or just wait it out?
#4 of 13 Old 11-16-2005, 03:48 PM

I'd do the steam, I'm not sure I understand your concerns with it.

-Angela
#5 of 13 Old 11-16-2005, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna
I'd do the steam, I'm not sure I understand your concerns with it.
I should have mentioned in my OP that I did try this for a few minutes on Monday, but DD seemed to get really hot and short of breath. She was actually sweating pretty profusely and seemed to be gasping for air, so I cut it short. I tried to do the chest-tapping anyway after opening the bathroom door, and she did cough/gag a few times, but no sputum production at all.

I might try this again today.
#6 of 13 Old 11-16-2005, 04:56 PM

Was she stripped down to a diaper? Maybe try that... or even get IN the shower with her.

-Angela
#7 of 13 Old 11-16-2005, 06:06 PM

For stuffiness, I just would suction if it got to where they were obviously having a hard time feeding. The little bit of blood is probably because of the suctioning, actually. Too much can "nick" the membranes, but it's not a big deal.
#8 of 13 Old 11-17-2005, 01:12 AM

Suck it out Mama ! Use your mouth. Sounds gross but works like a dream.
Or squirt some breast milk up there.
You can use a vaporiser/humidifier or steam with some eucalyptus oil.
Cut back on your wheat and dairy intake, this may help if your bubba has a little intolerance.

I wouldn't be too concerned unless they can't feed, then refer back to my first suggestion.

Cheers, Kimmy
#9 of 13 Old 11-17-2005, 01:45 AM

A recent Mothering article talked about using breastmilk as nasal drops. Could help clear up any infection.

If you're breastfeeding, it's worth a try...

Wife and Mama who homeschools-- mostly in the kitchen!
#10 of 13 Old 11-18-2005, 06:57 PM

I agree with PP who said to try to cut out dairy from your diet. DS was a couple weeks old when he became very congested in the nose. Ped suggested cutting out the dairy and he immediately cleared up. I tried organic milk when he was 4 mos old, and he's been fine with it. Lots of babies are intolerant of dairy (and soy i might add) but most outgrow it pretty quickly. Just a thought....
#11 of 13 Old 12-08-2005, 04:25 AM

Thanks for these posts! I have a four week old with a stuffed up nose. What would I do w/o MDC at 2:30am when worried about my babe?

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#12 of 13 Old 12-09-2005, 02:18 PM

There is a great archived thread on baby colds in the health and healing archives. It has some great suggestions for dealing with congestion. My 6 mo old has a cold right now, combined with teething, I feel good knowing that I can at least make her more comfortable with the vaporizer/eucalyptus and a little ebm up the nose. I've also been trying to boost my intake of vit. c and drinking 1 cup of eccinacea tea/day. I figure, whether or not the goods actually pass through my bm to her, at least I'm healthy, and taking care of a sick baby takes a lot of energy! It feels right to me to stay pretty on top of her symptoms (without overdoing it, of course) because my little one was a preemie, and is at a slight risk of RSV. Also, she's not vaxed. So I want to make sure her junk isn't progressing into something more serious (which so far it's not at all). I also found it helpful to read what Dr. Sears had to say about colds. It's good to be reminded that this is NORMAL! Good luck, and I hope your little one feels better!
#13 of 13 Old 12-09-2005, 02:52 PM

My baby was *extremely* congested. It took an elimination diet to discover that it was corn and nuts in my diet that was contributing. I also had him adjusted by a chiropractor several times, which helped. Good luck!

Homeschooling mom to four kids, ages 18, 18, 10, and 6. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page