How to relieve a blood blister - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 11-26-2005, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, everyone. This happened to my dd (3 yrs) last night. I thought it important to share in case it happens to anyone else.

So it's Saturday night around 10 p.m. A plate is still on the coffee table from our snack. Dd and I are finishing a movie before we go to bed.
I go into the kitchen to get water and hear a crash. I run back. And there is dd standing near the coffee table, the dish broken in two on the floor. (Thank goodness the dish didn't shatter.)

I scoop dd up and I'm checking for any cuts, because her feet were barefoot. She's crying "I broke the dish. I need another one. I want to cry."
I told her I didn't care about the dish, we had more, it was okay to cry.

But her crying is escalating into screaming and she's hiding her left foot into my side. I pull the foot out and dd's screaming "I don't want you to see it. I don't want you to see my boo-boo." There under the nail of her big toe is a big purple blood blister. I think the dish must have hit her toe hard before it hit the floor and broke.

I knew I had to relieve the pressure, since it was obviously painful to dd. I have a book on our shelf called "Take Care of Yourself" and one called "Taking Care of Your Child". Under "smashed fingers" I found what I needed. (This is not an exact quote, so I'm not plagirizing, just paraphrasing.)

Hold one end of of a pin or needle or an unfolded metal paper clip with pliers or tongs. Heat the other end with a match or candle or using the stove (if your stove has gas burners). Now hold the hot end of the pin to the nail. No need to press, just touch it to the nail. It will quickly melt a tiny hole into the nail and some blood may spurt out at first, but then the rest of it will ooze out. It happens very quickly so as soon as you see the blood, you can take the pin away. You only want to open the nail a bit, not go down into the nail bed.

The risk of this is the same with popping any blister: that you might introduce infection. So use with care. The book advises against using this with any child or person that has diabetes. It also advises against using it on "very young children". (In my case, I had a 3 yr old; it was a Saturday night with no one to contact; dh at work; dd was in considerable pain; so I used my own discretion and felt justified in using it.

This is what I did with dd and it worked to relieve the pressure. I carefully washed the toe under running water. The blood oozed for while since it was just a small hole, but I keep wiping it up. I put a tiny, tinydab of Neosporin on it afterward, just in case. DD cried during the whole thing but then calmed down and was so tired after that that she went right to sleep. She woke up about 45 minutes later, crying a bit more, so I gave her some ibuprofen and that helped.

Dd's toe looks great today. No swelling, no redness, nothing. I will keep an eye on it, but I don't think I will have to take her on Monday to the doc about it.
If I sound calm, it's because I can be now that it's all over. But believe me, it was nervewracking and traumatic at the time. I'm just glad I was able to find the info so quickly and remain steady enough to do it!

Hope this info is helpful to someone else.

Loon , dh , dd , and twins ds1 dd2 **Thoughts become things. - Mike Dooley**

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page