Healing the Gut Tribe December thread - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 208 Old 12-02-2005, 01:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Link to old thread: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=364340
Well, since noone has started it yet, I've decided to take the initiative and start a new thread for December. I'm starting because I have to confess, I cheated, big time today, and allowed ds to cheat, too. Bad mommy. I was sooo tired, I didn't feel like cooking tonight, so we ordered pizza! I took and enzyme capsule, and had ds pour some enzymes out of a capsule onto his food, but I know it was bad for us to do that. I'm getting bored of the food we've been eating lately, tired of cooking every meal, and just so bad at planning things.

Anyone know of an SCD menu mailer type thing, where you can get a week's worth of meals with a shopping list? I am so out of ideas! Ugh! Anyway, hope everyone else is doing better than I am!

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#2 of 208 Old 12-02-2005, 06:14 PM

Hey Jen. I'm cheating right now with coffee. I've been bringing Frederick to preschool this week for his few days and I have been spending my time in coffee houses. Not good. I just announced here in my favorite one that I will be on tea if they see me next week. Tea next week, no caffeine the week after. I am in a continuous process of weaning and etting readdicted.

I've got a big detox month in front of me. I have some high arsenic levels that, together with my uranium, have clobbered me. My gut is in surprisingly good shape under the circumstances, between the metals and the coffee. :

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#3 of 208 Old 12-02-2005, 06:32 PM

Hello

I'm no help with the menu planning, we cook a lot of plain food, not much into recipes, too tired! I'm getting slammed with a ton of work, it seems like all my clients want stuff done before Xmas

Amanda, I was just reading how amino acids were crucial for glutathione levels and g. is one of the body's major detoxers.
#4 of 208 Old 12-02-2005, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
Amanda, I was just reading how amino acids were crucial for glutathione levels and g. is one of the body's major detoxers.
Interesting. I took a new amino panel a couple of weeks ago and now am more curious to see the results.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#5 of 208 Old 12-02-2005, 10:41 PM

hi ladies,

how great to come check out the mothering forums after a long absence to find a whole whack of you on the same slightly obscure diet that I am trying to follow. I say trying... it's getting easier as I notice more acutely how certain foods HURT me, and suddenly the odd potato and corn chip just aren't worth it. I still cheat with the occasional gluten-free-crust delivery pizza - yum! I'm working towards having both my children eating SCD too, I think the poor tots have inherited my lousy guts and if I can help them while I still have some control over what goes into their mouths it would be great.

anyhow, has anyone used the primal defense caplets? I just started a container and am generally feeling queasy and headachy, wondering if this is a die-off type of thing or if I just shouldn't be taking them. I certainly paid enough yikes. I'm a sucka for a quick fix

It's inspiring to browse through the other months of this group and hear how you're integrating the SCD and feeling better. It certainly is the only 'diet' I've tried that instantly helped. So far I am having great success with the almond flour baking, it is loved by all. I would LOVE to chat meal planning with others (since, truthfully, domesticity is my life these days. I might as well not fight it)

cheers,

Sarah
#6 of 208 Old 12-02-2005, 11:57 PM

Hello! Subscribing...

Dd Micah has been having such good poops since starting food! I can hardly believe it. It is like a different child...I feel so sad because it was like she was allergic to my bmilk. Ok so she wasn't, it was just what I was eating, but still... She has been doing fine eating vegetables that have been cooked in soup that I make from bones, applesauce, and avocados. Yay!

PS Jane, what do you do for a living?
#7 of 208 Old 12-03-2005, 03:53 AM

still here! Luke's poop still seem to be ok. We tried some cheese today, and he pooped shortly thereafter, not sure if that was just a coincidence or what. Trying to find food he will eat, right now the only big hit is bananas. He was eating eggs, but grew tired of them I guess....

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#8 of 208 Old 12-03-2005, 02:15 PM

Sarah,

I'm thrilled you found us! How old are your kiddos? I know I passed on my messed up intestinal flora (and other things) to my DS. At least I feel like it's something I can take control of and try to change.

I know Primal Defense has some illegals in it, barley and maybe some kind of sugar I think? But I'm also wary of HSO's. I did try it, I don't think I noticed much. I've got a humungo bottle in the fridge right now.... maybe I'll experiment... but I also want to do a fast in next week or two.

I need to learn to cook different things, DS is getting bored. He was chanting at the top of his lungs the other day, "I want something else! I want something else!" Poor bunny.

He also asked Santa for cookies for Xmas !

And a boy baby dolly too

I'm concerned that he is only pooping every other day now, not sure how to change that. He eats 3-4 servings of veggies and 2-3 of fruit everyday. Plus 2-4oz of juice. And usually one or two servings of almond flour things. Maybe it's the banana a day but he'd go completely bezerk if I didn't let him have his banana first thing in the morning, he wakes up asking for it.

Maybe it's just his flora changing. I think I should start him back on magnesium. I was concerned before it was making his poop too runny. UGH. I was hoping he'd just start absorbing more magnesium from the nuts as his digestion got better.

He has been doing AWESOME on the goat yogurt though, he's up to a cup a day. I've very happy about that.
#9 of 208 Old 12-03-2005, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbandj
Dd Micah has been having such good poops since starting food! I can hardly believe it. It is like a different child...I feel so sad because it was like she was allergic to my bmilk. Ok so she wasn't, it was just what I was eating, but still... She has been doing fine eating vegetables that have been cooked in soup that I make from bones, applesauce, and avocados. Yay!

PS Jane, what do you do for a living?
GREAT news!

I do know that the kinds of intestinal flora change when babe's start eating solids, so it sounds like sticking to these types of foods that are easier to digest is really helping!

I'm a webmaster: design, programming, maintenance. Been working from home since 2000. Including the 2 years when DH also worked from home and we almost murderized each other! We were working for the same client too. OY

It's great now except I never have enough time. DS comes first Mon-Thurs., my mom comes over on Fridays but that's the day I usually do house stuff. So I mostly work naptimes/evenings/weekends.

I hate being busy during the holidays, I just want to play and cook and shop!
#10 of 208 Old 12-03-2005, 02:31 PM

Did anyone get the book, "Cooking for Little Tummies"? I think that might be my next order.

I just got "Grain Free Gourmet" and like it somewhat. Made us an apple gallette for Thxgiving. The crust was a little soft and apples too hard though. The souffle bread with all eggs was ridiculous, didn't work at all. I want to try the onion biscuits next but not sure I want DS to have onion... this is what's so hard about recipes.

I want to try to make meringue cookies. I have a bunch of egg whites frozen. With using honey as the sweetner you have to dry them out in oven for something like 12-24 hours.

I've been making DS some cookies off and on, the vanilla almond with coconut oil recipe I posted last month. I figured out how to leave them in a warm oven overnight to dry them out and make them crispy, they are much better that way.

The apple chips from www.digestivewellness.com are really yummy.
#11 of 208 Old 12-03-2005, 03:35 PM

subscribing to this month's thread.....

Sorry I haven't been around ladies, but I still read all your posts with great interest. DH has been deployed, so I'm struggling with being the single mommy right now.

Still aspiring to the diet. I really do think the diet works, I can tell the difference when I'm on it versus when I'm not. I'd say I'm about 80% on it, so I'm not doing too badly.
I think the biggest problem I have is that I haven't gotten around to ordering myself some almond flour. It would be so much easier to stick to SCD if I had the almond flour to make the pancakes and cookies and such that I always eat when I cheat with. : (hope I'm not being a bad influence on anyone!)

Oh, but can I say I brought an SCD style side dish to a friend's house for dinner. It's from the "SCD with Taste and Tradition" book. It's green beans and carrots sauteed in oil, then honey and salt added to taste and sauteed a bit more. YUM! My friend said usually doesn't eat green beans but she loves these.

Loon , dh , dd , and twins ds1 dd2 **Thoughts become things. - Mike Dooley**
#12 of 208 Old 12-03-2005, 06:56 PM

I'll introduct myself: I'm Emily, aged 24 (for a few more weeks!), momma to 10 mos John. John is EBF and doing great (20+ lbs) and I love breastfeeding. I've been dealing (ignoring, if possible!) a chronic yeast infection for the past few months as well as sore joints for a while. I've never followed a restricted diet for more than a few days (hence the age mentioned!) except when I had a borderline eating disorder for a few months. That got dealt with and since then, I pretty much eat whatever I want, whenever I want, so changing that to deal with "gut flora" is going to be hard, especially since "whatever I want" usually includes wheat, sugar, and caffeine.

That said, some questions.

When I first looked into candida, I found the Whole Approach website - how different is that from SCD?

I plan to start eliminating sugar and wheat (oats, too?) and adding yogurt on Monday (we have a church potluck Sunday night - I figure it'll be easier if the first day isn't on the potluck night). I tried to skip my coffee today but I got a bad headache - I get addicted to caffeine really easily and even a cup a day for four days is enough to cause withdrawal effects. Maybe I'll do decaf next week, tea the following week, and then be off of caffeine. (I've done the caffeine cycle a lot so that shouldn't be too difficult.)

Breakfasts are going to be hard: a typical breakfast for me is whole-wheat toast with jelly and a bit of a whole-grain cereal with milk. Maybe, at first, I'll change to a gluten-free grain hot-cereal in the morning with apple sauce or eggs with frozen berries on alternating days...

How much yogurt do you usually eat? Do you eat it all day or at a certain time?

Emily
#13 of 208 Old 12-03-2005, 08:31 PM

Hi I'll introduce myself too,

I was on this board a lot after my son was born, it was inspiring and allowed me access to all the gossip and details and mothering wisdom that I needed to proceed with confidence. It looks like there is still a vibrant and strong group of parents here My son is now almost 4 and my daughter just turned 2, I feel like I am surfacing from the baby swamp! (a beautiful marshy wildland..). My son nursed until he was 3, tandem with his little sister who is still nursing, we homebirthed, we try to do it right and healthfully, but ds has had eczema and both kids have, well, not the greatest poops and complexions, y'know? also I have never had great digestion, and this childrearing stuff has left me feeling depleted and as though all my inards are stretched out and a little cold, maybe unloved..

basically I can no longer eat any of the foods I ate in my twenties (I'm in the early thirties collapse!), and I feel like a lifetime of being predominately vegetarian hasn't done me too many favours. or, more specifically, a lifetime of breads and pastas and beans and sugars - with a few extra rounds of antibiotics thrown in has. There have been spells in my life where I've had awful abdominal pain, but mainly it's just gassy bloaty foggy indigestion tiredness stuff. I made delicious dahl (splitpea) soup for a party the other week and actually barfed the small amount I had back up. other foods make me weepy, sleepy, in pain, runny, etc. etc. etc. so I've been gluten-free since this spring and it is like a cloud has lifted. Now I'm basically following the SCD except for decreasing treats of chinese take-out, cornchips, chocolate and whipped cream - sentimental things, silly me! It's noticably easier to eat the scd foods, I feel better when I do, so this is inspiration to follow it strictly, as a family, for the year recommended for celiacs. as a journey of getting healthier, see where we get.

a couple questions, sorry if it's all been answered before:

-dh seems to love buying me kitchen appliances for xmas, thought I might hint for a yogurt maker. I'd like it to be easy and automatic and at least 2-3L volume. any brand recommends? where to look?

-does anyone in Canada know where to buy raw milk - really any animal other than water buffalo (scarred as a child with water buffalo 'whip cream' experience - euwww!), and other than my breasts please, specifically on Vancouver Island or nearby? raw butter?!

some of our favorite SCD meals/snacks are:

-almond butter pancakes (costco sells Marantha brand at a decent price)
-almond flour waffles (so far I just buy this flour at Save-on, but want to order)
-"taco night" with seasoned meat and all the toppings on a bed of lettuces
-almond fruit muffins
-spagetti squash pasta
-omlette nights
-carrot wagon wheels and peas or broccoli
-kale and nut warm salads (ask me for this recipe! it's SO good)
-roast chickens and chicken soups
-gingery beef and veggie stirfry
-scrambled eggs and bacon
-fruit and veggie sticks dipped in almond butter
-fish and seasonal veg
-various nut or coconut based cookie recipe experimentations
-lots of apple crumbles
-yogurt and smoothies

Indeed, the diet of a family with young conservative children (ahem, picky ). Simple by necessity, and we're trying to budget and meal plan too. I'm totally curious about what other families are eating on a DAY to DAY basis, it's nice to see so many snippets. We were such gourmets when we mainly ate and cooked at restaurants, but I've learned I am not capable of maintaining that week after week, hour after gruellig hour at home. simple is much better. Anyone feel up to volunteering a list of theirs?

Emily - we mainly eat our yogurt in the mornings, with fruit or seeds. or in smoothies.

Jane - How do you like the grainfree gourmet compared to the other SCD books of recipes? I'm curious about the little tummies book too, as my children only accept a very limited selection of food. I've had to shift my thinking about food and cooking and diet tremendously lately, but it's helping us to all eat together as a family and eat more consciously. lovely.

Sarah
#14 of 208 Old 12-03-2005, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

Loon -- glad you're still here. Which cookbooks do you have and which do you like best? As far as almond flour, you can make your own by buying blanched almonds and grinding them in a food processor with a metal blade. You can do the same with raw pecans and cashews, just to mix it up a bit. We have some almond flour I bought at the HFS -- Bob's Red Mill brand -- but I haven't tried it yet because ds has problems with almonds. I've just been making my own ground nuts (pecans and raw cashews).

Jane, that's so amazing you can WAHM and do SCD -- how do you do it? Glad for the recipe review and link. Are the apple chips freeze dried or just dehydrated?

Emily, grains can all feed yeast, especially since they are often contaminated with mold (which feeds yeast).

Dinners for us are usually some sort of meat (chicken, fish, beef), frozen green beans and/or carrots, and salad.
Breakfast is usually eggs, sometimes banana pancakes or cashew butter pancakes (got that recipe from the web). Occasionally we have sugar free sausage from the health food store.
Lunch is often just yogurt, steamed veggies, and cheese, and some leftover meat like cooked chicken. Pretty boring.
DS is a fruit hound, eating usually at least one piece of fruit per meal, and also snacking on some. Mostly bananas and apples, but lately he's been snagging dh's raisins and prunes. I have a feeling he has been craving the fruit because of candida (yeast) since I have ongoing issues. I still have a yeast infection, by the way, and am thinking I need to eliminate honey and cut back on fruits. What do others think about that? I'm using Candex, an enzyme product, along with Candistat, and they haven't been enough so far.

I also have always had depression, and am feeling like that's really in the way of my healing, since it robs me of energy. I have been off medication (prozac) since my pregnancy, except for a brief period after ds was born (I stopped because I felt it was making the candida worse -- he had nasty thrush). I am sure talkative tonight!

#15 of 208 Old 12-04-2005, 11:01 PM

I've had "gut" problems for about 4 years now. Anything serious has been ruled out. Now I'm stuck with a cramping, achy, bloated gut about 4 days out of every week. Food doesn't seem to hurt or help......so I believe that my flareups are due to stress. I can just feel the gurgling and cramping starting with just a negative or stressful thought.

I'll be lurking here though for some tips and advice on how to calm to spastic colon and gut. I've been given Librax, which helps, but you can't take it very often or I don't want to take it that much. Peppermint seems to be about the only thing that works, but I really can't stand peppermint tea
#16 of 208 Old 12-05-2005, 12:40 AM

I'll start with an easy one first...

Anuska

You might want to try enteric coated peppermint oil, they are very easy to take pills with several research studies behind them. That helped me when I first got my dx of IBS.
http://www.umm.edu/altmed/ConsHerbs/Peppermintch.html
http://www.doctormurray.com/Qarchive/bowel.htm

However, "stress" is what my dx of IBS was blamed on too and now that I know more than I did then... I think it's hooey! Ok, yes, there is a mind-body component. But it's not "all" that it is ykwim? And conventional drs are so dismissive of this without really doing into how the gut works and why it is functioning incorrectly.

Stress has to effect the digestion in specific ways for you to get these symptoms, such as: Reduction in stomach acid, which leads to lesser ability of your natural digestive enzymes to work. Which can also lead to intestinal flora imbalance.

I know I say the same things all the time! But also peppermint kills off yeast too, it's often combined with oil of oregano. And I can tell you from my personal experience that bad digestion INCREASES stress and anxiety and insomnia. When my digestion got better, my mood completely improved.

Also try:

1. Supplementing stomach acid with Betaine HCI (check Dr. Murray's site, he might have his info online, that he states in his book: Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, which is very good.)
2. Digestive Enzymes www.enzymestuff.com
3. Probiotics (homemade yogurt the best)
#17 of 208 Old 12-05-2005, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookietooth
Loon -- glad you're still here. Which cookbooks do you have and which do you like best?
Thanks, Jen.
I have SCD with Taste and Tradition, Lucy's SCD Cookbook, and Adventures in the Family Kitchen.
I don't know which I like best yet. I've tried a few recipes from each and liked them all.
That's why I'm such a cookbook junkie, I think. I have never yet found a book where I liked everything in it, so I have lots of books with a few tried and true recipes from each. However, with these books, because you're really using such whole foods as ingredients, they are all pretty easy to make. So give me time and I just may wade through all of them.

Quote:
As far as almond flour, you can make your own by buying blanched almonds and grinding them in a food processor with a metal blade.
I was thrilled to find blanched almonds at the local town supermarket here. Delicious to snack on.
I tried to grind them in my blender (since my food processor is back in storage in the States) and I just found it too time consuming and loud. :
I think I'll just order it. But thanks for the suggestion!

#18 of 208 Old 12-05-2005, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Actually, Loon, I don't like grinding my own, either, both the noise and the stickiness are too much! Where will you order from?

I just watched the IOMT's video about mercury, and am so mad because I have a mouthful of the mercury suckers! No wonder I have chronic yeast infections -- and I read recently that you can't really get rid of the yeast while you have mercury fillings. : I am tempted to wean ds so I can get them out! http://www.iaomt.org//index.cfm Problem is, it's expensive, and our dental coverage is crap (isn't all insurance getting to be that way?) -- and we aren't made of money. DH doesn't want to pay a ton for it, either. Blah!

#19 of 208 Old 12-05-2005, 02:06 PM

OMG...Those recipies sound so yummy. If possiable can I have the ones for the kale and nut saled, gingery beef, and and cookie recipie? That would be really cool.
#20 of 208 Old 12-05-2005, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anuska
Peppermint seems to be about the only thing that works, but I really can't stand peppermint tea
Have you tried peppermint extract? Use the food quality kind from a health food store, put a drop or two on the back of your hand, lick it, and follow with water. It's no big deal in my opinion and works very quickly.

#21 of 208 Old 12-05-2005, 02:55 PM

Quote:
I also have always had depression, and am feeling like that's really in the way of my healing, since it robs me of energy. I have been off medication (prozac) since my pregnancy, except for a brief period after ds was born (I stopped because I felt it was making the candida worse -- he had nasty thrush). I am sure talkative tonight!
Jen -- Did the Prozac help otherwise? The SSRIs work by blocking off the serotonin exit in your brain and, thus, raising brain levels of serotonin. If it worked for you, that's an important clue that you are low in serotonin. Other ways to increase your serotonin (that may more directly solve the problem) is to supplement B-6 which the body needs to convert tryptophan to serotonin, or supplement tryptophan with 5HTP (l-trytophan is not available so people use 5- hyrdoxytrytophan). I don't have dosage recommendations here, but you can PM me and I can keep my eye out for you. You might do some surfing on B6 and tryptophan deficiencies to try to get a sense of whether these may apply to you.

#22 of 208 Old 12-05-2005, 05:24 PM

Pseudomembranous enterocolitis (PME), also known as "antibiotic-associated colitis"

http://www.doctormurray.com/Qarchive/enterocolitis.htm
#23 of 208 Old 12-05-2005, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale Force
Jen -- Did the Prozac help otherwise? The SSRIs work by blocking off the serotonin exit in your brain and, thus, raising brain levels of serotonin. If it worked for you, that's an important clue that you are low in serotonin. Other ways to increase your serotonin (that may more directly solve the problem) is to supplement B-6 which the body needs to convert tryptophan to serotonin, or supplement tryptophan with 5HTP (l-trytophan is not available so people use 5- hyrdoxytrytophan). I don't have dosage recommendations here, but you can PM me and I can keep my eye out for you. You might do some surfing on B6 and tryptophan deficiencies to try to get a sense of whether these may apply to you.
Jen,

Here is some 5-HTP info: http://www.doctormurray.com/B5htpFAQ.htm

Amanda,

I'm sure my DS needs this kind of support. His poops are looking great but his nightwaking continues. Moneca did recommend some urine testing a while back but I'm stalled and unsure what to do. I hate supplements right now, he doesn't do well on them and I worry about them being piecemeal. There was another thread on autism where someone mentioned using chocolate syrup to boost seratonin (!!!) Even if my DS's gut wasn't an issue I don't think I'd use that.

Have you used 5-HTP? I think I read about a concern that it would produce other things, being not just a precursor to seratonin? I admit I know quite little at this point.

Oh boy, he is waking up early from his nap... happy-happy, joy-joy...he knows I'm "talking" about him!
#24 of 208 Old 12-05-2005, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Have you used 5-HTP? I think I read about a concern that it would produce other things, being not just a precursor to seratonin? I admit I know quite little at this point.
Jane,

I've been here thinking about 5HTP and B-6 since I posted and the key, like in all these things, is whether you are deficient. In the case of amino acids, more is not better, so tryptophan supplementation could do harm if you are not deficient. I had a custom test and custom supplement. That's the best way to go. Other than that, it's trial and error. Before the test and custom supplement, I took tyrosine and got a bit manic. But the other thing with aminos is that they are usually not the underlying deficiency. It's usually a mineral deficiency that is affecting the digestion of your aminos. So your long-term strategy is pretty much what you are doing with diet change. Did his hair analyses show any particular mineral deficiencies? Not all will show in hair, but some will. I've heard about the chocolate strategy too and wouldn't use it either. I did feed my son a porridge at night with date sugar. Date sugar is high in tryptophan. I'm not sure how quickly it works on the brain, but it did improve his sleep. He was a night waker (and still is), but hasn't had the sleep problems you are dealing with.

B-6
Carl Pfieffer did seminal research on B-6 and depression and describes the key deficiency sign as the inability to recall dreams. He recommends B-6 supplementation of up to 2000 mg to dream recall. Supplement a.m. and p.m. I have taken P5P instead, a more bioavailable form of B-6. If I remember correctly, Pfieffer recommends 1/10 of the B-6 dose if you are using P5P. Edited to add: B vitamins are water soluable so the potential for toxicity is much lower than with the aminos.

And on depression, mineral deficiencies in magnesium, zinc, manganese, copper, and lithium are most common. I think most show well in hair analyses with the exception of magnesium.

#25 of 208 Old 12-05-2005, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Actually, Loon, I don't like grinding my own, either, both the noise and the stickiness are too much! Where will you oder from?

I just watched the IOMT's video about mercury, and am so mad because I have a mouthful of the mercury suckers! I am tempted to wean ds so I can get them out! http://www.iaomt.org//index.cfm
I'll probably order from Lucy's Kitchen Shop. I had great service from them when I ordered my yogurt maker, yogurt starter, and vitamins. Only downside for me is that you have to order by phone and since I'm overseas... .
I've also ordered from SCDiet.com Store for the cookbooks. Also great service and I can order directly online....too bad they don't carry the almond flour....

I have some mercury fillings too. I had one removed and refilled, (dentist said it was old and needed to be replaced but the others were fine) when dd was 10 months (. I didn't know any better at the time. It was around that time that my PPD hit. Coincidence? Ah well, I must move on. Now that I know better I can do better.
DD continued to nurse and still does today (at 3.5) but she's really only down to nursing before sleep.

#26 of 208 Old 12-05-2005, 10:01 PM

Hey Jane, thanks for the info.

Even my Naturopath thinks its stress....as we've tried so many things to combat my tummy aches. What I didn't know was that peppermint can come in swallow capsuls. I'm going to try to find them.

I've done the digestive Enzymes and probiotics and for awhile they worked.

I'm gleaning a lot of new info here, so I'll keep lurking and leaning. You gals are so knowledgeable. Thanks
#27 of 208 Old 12-06-2005, 12:47 AM

Sorry I've been MIA...

There's a number of posts I want to answer but can't right now.

I'm researching C. difficile and S. boulardii. Apparently Elaine has approved S. boulardii for the SCD which really surprises me (it's a beneficial yeast). I'm going to try to find out more about this.

I'm kicking myself for not knowing about C. difficile sooner. One of the best tests for it is organic acids in the urine. Since both DS and I have had (sorry TMI) very smelly urine in the past, and of course my massive antibiotics, I'm wondering if this is the issue with us.

http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.i...le_testing.htm

http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.i..._difficile.htm

http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.i...ntibiotics.htm

http://www.aidsinfonyc.org/pwahg/info/sacc.html

Actually if you want to know some real TMI, there was a time that my breastmilk never lasted very long in the frig before it got rancid, like in a few days. It wasn't all the time, weird, huh.

That still makes me very sad to say that, never really talked about it before. But of course I'm wondering that would mean some weird bacterial thing that no one really studies. I've just heard about lipase causing a soapy taste, but I don't think that was it.
#28 of 208 Old 12-06-2005, 01:11 AM

the best way to eat kale

when I was first introduced to kale the only way I really liked it was cooked down with caramelized onions and cumin seeds & salt. ...came to feel that this concoction was probably counteracting the whole purpose of eating the stuff, so I started just putting it into foods and soups as a green, and, well, I just slowly stopped using it at all... until I came across a variant of this recipe in a gulf islands paper and tried it - OH YUM!! she said that it would be the only way we'd want to eat kale in the future and she was right!

SO, WARM NUTTY KALE SALAD

-get a large bunch of kale. any kale will do, but I love the black kale.
-wash, dry, and break or cut it up into bite size pieces and put in a bowl
-toss with a few tsp of lemon juice or balsamic vinegar and salt and freshly ground pepper and put aside.
-toast a large handful of nuts (whole or sliced almonds, pecans, hazelnuts, etc,) in the oven or on a pan (oven is better for big nuts, pan fine for sliced nuts or seeds) until they are just startin to turn golden and smell nutty. chop them if you want.
-warm up a few tablespoons of olive oil in a pan and add the nuts to infuse the oil and stay warm.
-pour the hot oil and nuts over the kale in the bowl and toss toss toss. balance the seasonings by adding a touch of this or that & enjoy!

if you toast the nuts while you're washing and cutting the kale, or just pan toast them a few minutes before adding the oil, it is a very quick salad to prepare. Play with the additions, so far everything has been delicious - chilies, garlic, grated carrots, parsley, spices, sausage, navy beans, apples.

Sorry though! My stirfry recipe is nothing special, just some freshly chopped ginger and garlic and cayenne with brocolli and beef slices. And I keep forgetting to write down the recipes for the best cookies, I will start and share them.
#29 of 208 Old 12-06-2005, 03:31 AM - Thread Starter

The prozac did help in a lot of ways, I think, although I was always low energy and had a terrible time getting out of bed even at high doses. But I think that overall, my mood was better on it, I had fewer negative thoughts and more positive one. As far as deficiencies, well, I do usually recall dreams, at least in part, so maybe in my case it's not a B-6 problem. I will do some more research. How much is a hair analysis, anyway? I was thinking of doing one for toxic metals, since I think we have at least mercury to deal with. What are some natural sources of minerals? And would healing the gut be one of the prerequisites of proper mineral absorbtion?
The 5 HTP thing does look promising -- I can't afford a test for serotonis, but I have a lot of the symptoms, and my father had fibromyalgia, which is listed as one of them as well. It may run in our family (my mom was depressed, and my brother is severely depressed as well). Anyway, thanks everyone, I am having some hope, even in the midst of a killer migraine!
Jane, that's very interesting about the SACCHAROMYCES BOULARDII being now SCD legal, and that it can fight bad bugs. Too bad it's so darned expensive! Anyone know of a natural source for it? Kefir maybe? Sigh. The link you posted mentioned a cancelled Seattle trial of it -- I live in the Seattle area, maybe they'll do another one! But probably not for candida, and probably not with someone who is breastfeeding and has mercury fillings...

#30 of 208 Old 12-06-2005, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Sorry I've been MIA...

There's a number of posts I want to answer but can't right now.

I'm researching C. difficile and S. boulardii. Apparently Elaine has approved S. boulardii for the SCD which really surprises me (it's a beneficial yeast). I'm going to try to find out more about this.

I'm kicking myself for not knowing about C. difficile sooner. One of the best tests for it is organic acids in the urine. Since both DS and I have had (sorry TMI) very smelly urine in the past, and of course my massive antibiotics, I'm wondering if this is the issue with us.

http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.i...le_testing.htm

http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.i..._difficile.htm

http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.i...ntibiotics.htm

http://www.aidsinfonyc.org/pwahg/info/sacc.html

Actually if you want to know some real TMI, there was a time that my breastmilk never lasted very long in the frig before it got rancid, like in a few days. It wasn't all the time, weird, huh.

That still makes me very sad to say that, never really talked about it before. But of course I'm wondering that would mean some weird bacterial thing that no one really studies. I've just heard about lipase causing a soapy taste, but I don't think that was it.
Jane, I thought that you are either supposed to use refrigerated breastmilk within 24 hours or freeze it-- if not then I am such a dunce and could have stored more in the fridge for longer. Maybe it is just not meant to last very long because it is raw and right from the source?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page