deoderant/antiperspirant - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-02-2005, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not sure if this post belongs in this dept. but I have concerns regarding what kind of deoderant/antipersperant to use. I used to use Toms of Maine natural deoderant which truly didn't work--I smelled . Now I use mainstream antipersperant (Dove) which works fine but I'm concerned about the aluminum causing Alzheimers and how potentially unhealthy it may be to stop perspiration Is. Is there a harmless deoderant that actually WORKS?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2005, 06:09 PM

I'm having luck just swabbing with rubbing alcohol when I get out of the shower. I put nothing else on.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:18 PM

I'd like to know the answer to this also. I haven't heard of using just alcohol before....does it also work as an anti-perspirant? It should, considering what's in commercial deodorants and antiperspirants. Commercial antiperspirants never worked for me....it would be nice to be able to wear form fitting clothing for a change, but I've never been able to, even with prescription antiperspirants and dietary modifications like avoiding caffeine.

I've heard about the deodorant/Alzheimer's link, but never actually seen any references or studies referencing it.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:19 PM

I've tried my share of natural deodorants (I definately think it is unhealthy to inhibit persperation as it rids the body of toxins and the aluminum concerns me too) I've found lots that don't work and a few that do- I use Shaklee's natural deodorant and it works well- http://www.shaklee.com/product/30375 I also found that Desert Essence's Tea Tree Oil deodorant worked pretty well.

Jen read.gif Mama of 2 precious boys blowkiss.gif (9)  flowersforyou.gif (6)  and still in heartbeat.gif with my Matt hat.gif after 12 years together. 

rainbow1284.gif Domestic Violence Children's Advocate and Counselor hug2.gif

homebirth.jpg bf.jpg nocirc.gif ribbonjigsaw.gif 

Old 12-02-2005, 07:29 PM

Tomorrow marks one month since I've used one. I've been using the alcohol method when I begin to smell a bit of stink. I have rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle with a few drops of tea tree oil. When I begin to stink, I spray. I spray less and less these days. This past weekend I worked digging trenches and didn't even stink. I'm sure I'll still have a wetness problem this summer, but I'm with LoveChild on the purpose of sweating.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

Old 12-02-2005, 08:49 PM

Hmmm...true, body needs to sweat...but if you're working, esp in healthcare, its tough to be getting up close and personal if you have BO or sweat rings. I can just imagine what my patients would write on the evaluation forms they get in the mail. "Nice, but smelly"

I'm going to try alcohol...do you also apply a lotion at a different time, to prevent excessive drying of the skin? Is that what the tea tree oil is for?
Old 12-02-2005, 09:20 PM

I use the Queen Helene stuff just to help with oder. I also take liquid clorophyll (sp?)to help the oder.

I am not sweaty just stinky
Old 12-03-2005, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahwuko
I'm going to try alcohol...do you also apply a lotion at a different time, to prevent excessive drying of the skin? Is that what the tea tree oil is for?
I haven't had any problem with dry pits. I do put it on after a shower or whenever I start to stink. It works for me. I'll have to try the tea tree oil in some...also I just put it on a cotton ball and swab...I like the idea of spraying...hmmm...I'll have to try that as well.
Old 12-03-2005, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

I think alcohol would sting like crazy after shaving the underarms (which I do occasionally). I'd like to try the natural deoderant with tea tree oil (which kills the bacteria that cause odors), however I bought a whole case of the aluminum antipersperant at Costco and don't want to waste it. Since I've been using it I've been getting headaches (I NEVER used to get headaches before). I'm not sure if that's the true cause but I sure am suspicious. In Europe and probably other cultures, they generally don't use deoderant. It's just we squeamish Americans that are obsessed with our "personal hygeine products". I wish I didn't have to use them ('cause I secretly like the way my b.o. smells--but nobody else does.). And I may be going off the deep end here, but studies have been done that show that the way we choose our mates is through smell-the smell of our sweat, our body odor. So if we use antiperspirants and deoderants to mask our smell or prevent sweating at all, it kind of handicaps our ability to find our true compatible mates. Maybe this is why we have a 50% divorce rate in this country (I'm going thu one myself now).
Old 12-03-2005, 10:18 PM

Deodorant Recipe

This is the type of deodorant I use.

If you keep your arm pits shaved, it does the job. On hot days I might use it twice a day.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:32 AM - Thread Starter

Gitti--thanks for the links. I won't be making my own deoderant but may try the crystal stuff --I was glad to see it contains no aluminum. I almost bought something similar at a health food store once but was dismayed that it contained aluminum.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:08 AM

Here my reciepe, and it works very well (coming from senora stinky pits)

I have a 4oz brown glass bottle with a sprayer on it to this I add

2 oz distilled water
2oz rubbing alcohol
10 drops of lavender EO
10 Drops of Lemon EO

Or

10 drops of Rose EO ( I like a light rose scent)
Old 12-05-2005, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pony
I think alcohol would sting like crazy after shaving the underarms
Yep, I can assure you all that you do not want to do the rubbing alcohol after shaving. :

But I don't do the alcohol regimen everyday anyway -- the farther I get in time from my last use of antiperspirant/deodorant, the less of the alcohol mixture I need. Also, if you shave in the evening before bed, you could put the alcohol on in the morning with no problem, I suspect.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

Old 12-06-2005, 06:06 AM

I have really good results with crystal deoderant. There are a few different kinds, but here is a well-known one: http://www.thecrystal.com/
Old 12-06-2005, 05:14 PM

I just saw something on the news about a link between anti-perspirants and breast cancer. It makes sense to me b/c of the aluminium and also just b/c sweating is one of the 3 major methods of eliminating toxins and waste-products from the body. By deliberately preventing sweat you are causing a build-up of toxic waste in your chest area, plus actually adding to it the aluminium in the anti-perspirant itself. This could not only be very dangerous to you but if you are bf you might also be transmitting higher levels of toxins in your milk.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinuviel_k
I have really good results with crystal deoderant. There are a few different kinds, but here is a well-known one: http://www.thecrystal.com/
This is what I use.I've been using it for about 6 months,and I am not stinky .Occasionaly sweaty,but only after lots of cleaning or running around.The stick lasts forever.I like the roll on too.Since my mom just went through breast cancer ,I want to avoid as many risks as I can.HTH!

Student mama to one awesome,talented and unique dd,15 and one amazing, sweet and strong ds,12(born with heart defect Tetralogy of Fallot,also on the autism spectrum),9 cats,and 2 gerbils.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:51 PM

i too use the crystal deoderant, and i love it! both my husband and i use it and have great results.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I use the cystal deodorant after showering or bathing, and spray on witch hazel if I feel I need a "refresher" in between showers.

Witch hazel is much gentler on the skin than rubbing alcohol is!

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 12-11-2005, 05:12 AM

I love the crystal roll-on. It is amazing and lasts a long time.

Happily parenting our snuggly wild child since 2007 and her little brother since 2011!

Old 12-12-2005, 03:55 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm a big fan of Burt's Bees herbal spray deoderant. It's alcohol based, too distilled from corn. Has some other stuff for a pleasant scent.

I've been using Dove, too, but am also worried about aluminum. Maybe I'll just start rubbing some alcohol under my arms.

~Nay

Reneé, 34 year old mom to Antonin 8/04 and Arianna 9/06  (6 weeks) 5/08. Married to Matt since 6/03 .  
Old 12-12-2005, 04:26 AM

This thread has plenty of suggestions for deodorant! Hth.

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

Old 12-13-2005, 04:37 PM

It seems that some natural deodarants work on me for awhile and then stop. I've used the crystal, I've used Tom's of Maine, now I'm using JASON Tea Tree. But it's not working. Going to be trying some of these other methods. Thanks!

User Tag List