Found lump in breast - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-16-2003, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I found a lump in my breast last week and at first thought it was a milk duct. I checked it again last night and it definitely is some type of lump. I am seeing a doctor this afternoon.
What should I be asking the doctor? I want to go in armed with questions and requests so I'm not left to wait a month to see what happens.
Thankyou.
#2 of 10 Old 01-16-2003, 12:43 PM

MJ....my advice to you is dont let them make you "wait" and "see".
if you are pre-menopausal age, waiting can be deadly if indeed it is serious. peace of mind is priceless.

Insist on a mammogram or ultrasound to investigate the lump further without being to invasive.

My mom has had several biospy's, and has a mammogram about every 6mo to a year. she is 57. her breast form calcifications and have to be looked at frequently.

good luck, and let us know what happens, ok?
#3 of 10 Old 01-16-2003, 02:42 PM

ppppppppppppp
#4 of 10 Old 01-16-2003, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick response. I talked to my sister, who went to through the same thing several months ago. She also said to insist on a mammogram and an ultrasound.
I'll let you know how it goes.
#5 of 10 Old 01-16-2003, 06:09 PM

A few months ago I had an awful plugged duct, mastitis, and a cold all at the same time. After the mastitis cleared I was still left with a lump in my breast. I ended up talking with four health care professionals about it without getting any satisfactory answers so I finally made hour plus long trip to see the doctor I love. She reassured me it was just a plugged duct and that they can sometimes take a long time to clear. I nurse had recommended a mammogram to rule out breast cancer, but my doctor (who is very AP and pro EBF) said that nursing mothers should not have mammograms. I just thought I'd pass this along to you because a mammogram may not be the best diagnostic tool right now.
#6 of 10 Old 01-27-2003, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

I went in for a mammogram. The radiologist said she did not want to do it because my son weaned less than two months ago. She said my breasts would not be back to normal yet so that and my age (33) would not yield accurate results.
They got me in for an ultrasound that day and I was so excited. I figured they would see it is a cyst and it would be over. I was so optimistic that I was hoping I had to wait so I could do some knitting.
The tech started the ultrasound and said she could not see anything but glandular tissue. The radiologist came in and said the same thing. They both could feel the lump though. The radiologist said it is not a cyst.
I left and just fell apart, wondering what it could be. No one has any good ideas of what it is. I asked my doctor (fp) if it could be a clogged duct and she said it was possible. It seems that it would show up on the ultrasound, but what do I know.
I just read about pseudolumps. They are just lumpy breast tissue. Does anyone know about this? Would they look like normal tissue on an ultrasound? Is it something you always have or can it develop over time. I hadn't noticed it until a couple of weeks ago.
I have an appointment with a surgeon at a breast clinic in February. The wait is causing so much anxiety, any information would be very helpful.
Denise
#7 of 10 Old 01-27-2003, 04:50 PM

Mamajoy

My mom has had to undergo several invasive lumpectomies, needle biopsies, etc because of her "dense" breasts. My mothers breast are so dense, that an ultrasound cannot see nor pick up a lump that can be felt.

i have never heard of pseudo lumps. i am not an authority here, just from personal experience from my mom. all of these biopsies have been nothing more than calcifications (which can cause problems in and of them selves, can be indicative of other things) that need to be closely watched. she is 57. i personally felt in her left breast a small "shallow" lump, that was unable to be detected with ultrasound, leading to the surgical and nuclear biopsy.

try, try not to be frightened. knit away, and save your worrying for when you really have to (which might never happen!).
what i tell my patients is fear and being afraid is ok...but only if it doesnt consume you, so keep that fear in check, kwim?

Hugs and lots of peace and happy thoughts! Lisa
#8 of 10 Old 01-28-2003, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter

sweetbaby3
Thanks for the support. Other people's stories can be comforting.
I know I need to keep from panicking and will keep working on it. I actually had two good days consecutively. I need to try not to think too much as I sit and wait.
Thanks for taking the time to respond.
#9 of 10 Old 01-28-2003, 10:29 PM

Also if you are still lactating, make sure the radiologist knows it otherwise they can give some wacky diagnosis! You may go so far as to ask to see a MD that is well versed in diagnosis and reading of a lactating breast. A local LC would have a referral perhaps.
Also, I did have something similiar, turned out to be a huge caffeine lump- the MD drew it out with a needle...yuck! I quit caffeine and it never came back, but it was a bit scary.
Good luck
#10 of 10 Old 01-28-2003, 10:59 PM

More hugs ((mama joy)) I hope everything goes well at your appt. in Feb. I will be thinking about you and sending you my healthy thoughts.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page