Perimenopause in your 30's? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 12-17-2005, 03:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am wondering if anyone else out there has been surprised by this, and how they became sure that they were indeed going through perimenopause. I am patiently trying to go through the processes of getting surgery for an unrelated condition, so I hesitate to go to my doctor just to confirm my suspicions. I thought an open discussion about this couldn't hurt, anyway.

Is this a really uncommon thing, I wonder? I am 38 and have never heard of it coming so early. Well, no one in my family would talk about it if it did happen to them, but I am pretty sure this is what is going on. I have about 28 of possible symptoms - it is a long list, indeed. It isn't that bad, thankful enough, but I am just perplexed, and really glad I had my youngest daughter 2 years ago. I fact, I started developing some symptoms just after she was born (3 months premature). The symptoms are fairly mild, really. I can deal with minor incontinence (controlled with medication) and little hot flashes, but I am mostly in awe that I can't have any more children, and I can almost over night feel my body changing. One thing that does freak me out a bit is the thought that I might not live for another 20 years. I read that this, related to anxiety is one of the symptoms. ugh.

One more thing, my husband (and me) noticed that I have been a lot nicer - must be due to hormone levels. I was having a hard time with irritability (another sign) but this seems to have reversed.

Is anyone else going through perimenopause so early? If so, what is your attitude towards it?

Oh, and are you trying any herb supplements other than HT?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 12-17-2005, 06:02 AM

Hi. No, it is not uncommon at all or even 'early' . A good deal of this part of our life begins to happen at this time. Read Dr. Christine Northrups book on menopause and also Dr. susun Weeds- she has one on menopause also and it all is explained and shown how to deal with in so many ways. Their views are much more liberating and soulful than conventional ones.
Why do you say you only have 20 more yrs to live?! and why no more babies? actually you can have babies still for a while I bet.
The process of changing is about 10 yrs for some, maybe less- when finally the last period is ever is had.
Yes, it 'seems' early but i think that partly that is due to the lack of understanding in the past and sometimes still- and the lack of communication about it. Everyone goes through it whether they have degree of symptoms that are small or great.
I began noticing changes at 36. do not think it will be quick and whamo next thing you know no period. my periods began getting closer for about a year and now they seem to be keeping a 29 day pattern , lately.
Do educate yourself before seeing a dr. you are your own best dr. at this point. Remember it is just another life occurance, a river to swim or a mtn to climb, a journey! And they say actually there is actually chance our life becomes ever more deep and wonderful if we can traverse this time well
oh, if you do a search you will find more old stuff here including mine where yes i was a bit in shock too!
#3 of 10 Old 12-17-2005, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your support.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraess
do not think it will be quick and whamo next thing you know no period.
Actually, the periods stopped before the hot flashes began. I had extremely regular periods then they just immediately stopped. I do have one of Susun Weeds book, but it is quite old. I just pulled out a new book: Rosemary Gladstar's Family Herbal, and it looks like there is some good stuff in there. I like her writing - very concise.

Oh, the 20 more years to live thing kinda freaked me out. I know it is to be taken with a grain of salt, and I do. I read that the averages show that menopause comes about 20 years before death and the idea of it being literal sort of freaked me out, just a little. lol

Okay, on a side note, one more thing I really don't like is the dry sagging skin that happened so suddenly. I recently lost about 40 (pregnancy) pound so this is quite obvious. I suppose this can be dealt with as well, as with more frequent yoga.
#4 of 10 Old 12-17-2005, 07:15 PM

art4babies> how long have the periods stopped for? they could come back. irregular is normal.
about the menopause and mortality average: I didnt read that one, but lets say you have another 10 years of changes before actual menopause when the period has not come back for a full year, If the statistics are correct than you might get to your seventies- BUT- Do we REALLY beleive statistics around here or do we defy them?! Me? I'm going for 100
I went back to the old thread a year ago that i started and noticed some things, including acceptance on my part.
Do you take omega fatty acids? these are really important.
Honestly, I think the changes we experience give us great opportunity to understand ourselves better. Once we understand ourselves we can take care of ourselves better. I think thats what it is teaching me. so, I see you are doing yoga? That is great. Me too.
I saw there might be a perimenoupause/menopause thread in "tribes"- that would be a good place for support.
#5 of 10 Old 12-18-2005, 12:48 AM

I wouldn't think its that abnormal ask grandma or a greatgrandma most of them would have never expected to get pregnant past 39 and wouldn not have considered even the thirties 'good years' for babymaking.

8 might be enough
#6 of 10 Old 12-18-2005, 05:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
art4babies> how long have the periods stopped for?
They stopped about two months ago - nothing. This is odd. Don't get me wrong. This is a good thing for me. My DH and I were talking about this tonight. He said that he always thought menopause would be a bad thing, but it seems to be working out good for both of us. I don't get any/as many periods, I am nicer, etc.

I would love to be 100 - as long as I felt healthy. And yes, I am doing yoga, which seems to be the answer for everything. It seems to have accelerated me in a positive direction like nothing. People at my 20 year reunion were asking what I "did" to look so great. It really is a huge way to maintain vitality. Unfortunately I started doing it only a few months ago. If you do it every day, though, it truly is amazing.

Quote:
Do you take omega fatty acids? these are really important.
I am now starting to compile a list to take to Whole Foods next time I go. My DH is pushing the calcium (he always does his own research) and vitamins that I am neglecting to take.
Quote:
Honestly, I think the changes we experience give us great opportunity to understand ourselves better. Once we understand ourselves we can take care of ourselves better.
This really says a lot. I totally agree. I have always had the attitude that accepted and even welcome change of just about any kind. You know, just because we don't understand something isn't reason enough to fear it. It is an opportunity to learn something, and the only thing to truly fear is ignorance.
Quote:
I saw there might be a perimenopause/menopause thread in "tribes"- that would be a good place for support.
I hadn't found this in my searches, but I will look again. Thanks lauraess!

Shiloh - I would LOVE to be able to ask my grandparents, but unfortunately we don't have a family where that sort of communication is typical. I could ask my grandmother, but really she is 80 and I don't want to start a new way of communication for her. As much as I encourage open communications of just about anything, I also love her dearly and respect her boundaries and who she is. I do try to talk about things with others, though.
#7 of 10 Old 12-18-2005, 11:01 PM

art4babies: well, not to alarm you and you may realize this already but watch for signs of pms telling you your period is coming. I think when you go for stretches without it- it comes on like gangbusters.
Yoga is the best and because i teach i am obviously a believer- all around good stuff it is
In reading susun weed and going to her website> www.susunweed.com I've been able to embrace the different aspects of being a woman and Christine Northrup, MD is much like that too. We are lucky to have the knowledge of wise women helping us out these days.
#8 of 10 Old 12-19-2005, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Shiloh - I would LOVE to be able to ask my grandparents,
I didn't mean specifically just generally that women back in the 'day' without really reliable birthcontrol often lost their fertility before hitting fourty.

But my OB has a cartoon in his office with a very pregnant woman saying but we were celebrating my menopause how did this happen?

8 might be enough
#9 of 10 Old 12-19-2005, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh
I didn't mean specifically just generally that women back in the 'day' without really reliable birthcontrol often lost their fertility before hitting fourty.
ugh, yeah. See, this is what I mean. Back when people lived shorter lives, they experienced menopause earlier. And since I am only 38....

But, I am done freaking out. lol
I wish I had more time to read these books. I find it easier to post on the threads.

Now, to find that thread....
#10 of 10 Old 12-19-2005, 12:24 PM

Okay, Im going to start a new tribe for us. please come and maybe we can gather together the info we need in a supportive tribe. See ya there!

L

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page