TMI warning - tot poop question ahead. White poop causes ? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 01-02-2006, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mods : Please redirect this to the appropriate forum, I'm not sure where it fits

What could cause a loose, white/yellow stool in a young toddler (16 months) ?

It's not the yello seedy type of poop she had as a baby, and it's thinner than her normal peanut-butter-pastey poop. It's almost white, but a little yellow too. A bit mucousy maybe.

She had a minor tummy bug last week before this started.

ETA : She's had 4 of these runny white-yellow poops today.

Canadian mom to Boo (Aug '02), Bug (Aug '04) and Bear (Dec '06).
Jesse (July '09)
#2 of 22 Old 01-02-2006, 04:00 PM

You know I remember a friend yrs back that had white poop. She had something seriously wrong. Trying not to scare you, but it was something with on of her organs not working properly..

**try posting on health and wellness
#3 of 22 Old 01-02-2006, 04:06 PM

now Lizabear, this belongs in nutrition and good eating!!!
Just kidding, I dont' know what it means but I hope it's nothing and wanted to offer a
Did she perhaps eat some chalk?? One of my dogs had white poop but I found out she'd eaten a bunch of chalk.
#4 of 22 Old 01-02-2006, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

I don't think she's gotten into the chalk, though it's possible she's eaten some white crayon.

Jesse (July '09)
#5 of 22 Old 01-02-2006, 04:11 PM

i have heard that the 3 colors of poo which are serious are white, black and red. i believe metabolizing biliruben makes your poop brown. no biliruben will cause a dramatic color change. i would get it checked out.
#6 of 22 Old 01-02-2006, 04:19 PM

That happened to my friend's son this past summer. You should check with the ped just in case (because it COULD be caused by liver dysfunction), but it most likely is due to a viral infection. As long as she's eating/drinking ok, everything is probably just fine.

Mama K: Child of God, wife to S, mama to 3 little beauties and 1 handsome little guy!

#7 of 22 Old 01-02-2006, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama K
As long as she's eating/drinking ok, everything is probably just fine.
She's nursing lots, and eating - maybe not as much as before, but she has just had a stomach bug.

DH just took Boo (DS, 3) to the washroom and said his stool isn't much better for colour, but is still formed.

Jesse (July '09)
#8 of 22 Old 01-02-2006, 05:42 PM

My "Dr. Koop's Self Care Advisor" says that "pale, clay colored" stools can be a sign of hepatitis (inflammation of the liver). It says that first symptoms are flulike - fever, fatigue, nausea/vomiting, loss of appetite, abdominal pain. Secondary symptoms are dark urine, pale stools, and jaundice.

Rest and lots of water are advised; along with a call to the doctor if there are two or more of the first symptoms and any of the secondary symptoms.

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#9 of 22 Old 01-02-2006, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellbelle
My "Dr. Koop's Self Care Advisor" says that "pale, clay colored" stools can be a sign of hepatitis (inflammation of the liver). It says that first symptoms are flulike - fever, fatigue, nausea/vomiting, loss of appetite, abdominal pain. Secondary symptoms are dark urine, pale stools, and jaundice.

Rest and lots of water are advised; along with a call to the doctor if there are two or more of the first symptoms and any of the secondary symptoms.
holy crap - that is scary

Jesse (July '09)
#10 of 22 Old 01-02-2006, 06:59 PM

Didn't mean to scare you - but perhaps a call to the doc might be in order.

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#11 of 22 Old 01-02-2006, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellbelle
Didn't mean to scare you - but perhaps a call to the doc might be in order.

It's okay. I'd rather be scared and knowledgeable than ignorant and have my daughter become even more ill.

Jesse (July '09)
#12 of 22 Old 01-02-2006, 07:06 PM

Please be sure to keep us updated, mama.

#13 of 22 Old 01-02-2006, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

We're taking the kids in to the kids' clinic tonight.

Jesse (July '09)
#14 of 22 Old 01-02-2006, 07:42 PM

My ds had white clay like poop for a couple days after our trip to disneyland. I read up on it and knew that it can be caused by a liver dysfunction (hepatitis) then I went in to a panic while waiting to get in to see the dr. We sent in a stool sample and there ended up being nothing wrong with him maybe just something he ate, is what the dr figured.

When you go to the dr you might want to bring a stool sample in a ziplock baggie they probably can't test it there but it will save you time because they will likely ask for one to send to a lab

Hope everything is alright
Crystal
#15 of 22 Old 01-02-2006, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

We took them to the kids' clinic tonight, the doctor there (our regular paeditrician) says to watch for any signs of jaundice or dark-coloured urine, if that shows up bring them back.

If it doesn't, just wait it out - it's a virus either way, and thier bellies are wrecked for now, so a nice bland diet - basically BRAT type diet - for a few days.

Jesse (July '09)
#16 of 22 Old 01-02-2006, 10:51 PM

My son had whitish/yellow colored poop. I took him in, and they looked at it. Because it wasn't just white, they said not to be concerned. Now, if it didn't have the yellowish look to it and was pure white, they said that could indicate a serious prob!
#17 of 22 Old 01-03-2006, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

Ugh - poor babe woke up puking at 2AM, and blew out another icky diaper by 4AM.

Jesse (July '09)
#18 of 22 Old 01-03-2006, 10:42 AM

Oh, you poor tired mama - hope things get better soon and that it's nothing more serious than a tummy bug!

#19 of 22 Old 01-03-2006, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I'm doing straight breastmilk for DD (she's 16 months and really doesn't eat much solid food normally, so it's not a huge change for her). She's blown out 2 more diapers so far - but they're YELLOW. Like buttery yellow. Not white.

DS is getting a starchy diet (crackers, cheerios) with just a enough protein to keep him from totally freaking out on me (a little left-over turkey from yesterday).

Jesse (July '09)
#20 of 22 Old 01-03-2006, 01:11 PM

Ds1 is having the same type of poop here. We're all getting over a nasty tummy bug and actually, we all have it (except for the baby, his is pale yellow, but still yellow.)

We're all eating a pretty bland diet, getting our tummy's back to normal w/some probiotics and it's getting more normal-looking.

mama, try & take it easy.
#21 of 22 Old 01-03-2006, 09:19 PM

Are you all feeling any better tonight?
#22 of 22 Old 01-06-2006, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

We have passed the 24-hour (actually close to the 48-hour) mark for no vomiting now, and Bug's 2 (yes - only 2 !!) messy diapers yesterday were yellow not white.

Her rash (and I'm realizing I didn't mention it in the first post - oops - she had a flat red rash from about mid-torso up to her face, kind of speckly) is clearing up too, now it's just around her neck and under her arms, and on her nipples ! Very odd to see it on her nipples.

She's still having lots of wet diapers, and her urine hasn't been overly dark at all.

She's been on straight breastmilk since Monday night. Yesterday I gave her a couple of spoonfuls of broth from some home-made turkey soup, and she ate about 1/4 of a cracker too.

It's been a worrisome week here - the paed did mention hepatitis too, which scared me. But I really think we're in the clear for that - neither of the kids has shown any sign of jaundice, and thier urine has been normal looking.

Jesse (July '09)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page