Old 01-02-2006, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Happy New Year Everyone!

Wishing you all renewed good health and strong immune systems for 2006

I have a couple resolutions this year:

1. To find a consistent source of raw goat's milk
for DS, he's been getting more pasteurized than raw lately. Which is somewhat okay since it's always in 24 hr yogurt form, but not as good as raw milk yogurt.

I read Ron Schmid's book "The Untold Story of Milk" and was blown away by how crucial raw milk really can be to health. The difference betwen it and pasteurized milk is incredible. I've belonged to a raw milk coop since last May, making kefir and yogurt from it, and am certain that it was a factor in how great I feel now.

I posted these links at the bottom of the Dec. thread, but I want to post again to be sure they are seen:

http://www.drrons.com/benefits-raw-milk.htm
http://www.drrons.com/raw-milk-veritas.htm

2. To make more fermented beverages, including Beet Kvass and Kombucha
http://www.westonaprice.org/foodfeatures/kvass.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2006, 06:30 PM

:

I'm in a state of recovery over here. Holidays weren't too damaging, but it's nice to be home. I have The Untold Story of Milk on my shelf and still haven't read it. :

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

Old 01-03-2006, 04:13 AM

hello ladies!

well, we are doing much better here, but still about 80/20, which is much better than the holiday season though. Lil' man hasn't been eating much, but he also is teething at least 2 molars right now, if not 4.

Thanks for the milk links Jane. I had actually been thinking about that again here myself. Dh and I have decided to wait a bit on the dairy goats, we just don't have enough time to get things ready before they will be ready. So, I have to find an outside source. I guess I need to check the real milk site again. I would love to see how he would do on the raw milk. I think it would help me as well, even though about the only dairy I get is yogurt and some hard cheese.

I am hoping to do more NT principles this year as well, plan to buy the book. However, don't know if I can do the kvass. I made it last year and just couldn't drink it, it was WAY too salty for me.

oh, and I started planning the garden today! I think I will be starting some cabbage seeds here pretty soon. I am hoping to plant enough to have extra for canning and freezing and plenty to eat this summer. Having good fresh food keeps me from eating the junk.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
Old 01-03-2006, 12:48 PM

My New Years health resolutions: get rid of the yeast!!!!

Short term and immediate, get my 24 hr breastmilk yogurt up and running so the whole family can be on strong probiotics. don't know if dh will willingly drink/eat it, but i can disguise it in kefir for him. the latest batch looks better!
Old 01-04-2006, 10:58 AM

well the second batch of yogurt is a bust - so on to ordering the progurt starter and using my friends yogurt maker. at the rate i;m downing the probiotics this will be WAY cheaper for long term!
Old 01-04-2006, 04:04 PM

yeast die off
does this sound like yeast die off?

i only have a minute b/c my son is begging to go outside.

i feel fatigued despite eating gluten free good carbs. i do have some diarrhea (not too bad) but i have been eating more vegetables ie more fiber.

i have been doing the anti candida diet for 3.5 days. it is pretty easy b/c i bought lots of stuff from the store i can eat. sometimes i feel great! but in the morning and right after lunch i feel kinda sluggish. i feel hungry lots so i have to be careful to eat before we leave the house

Old 01-04-2006, 06:26 PM

so can i still eat my watery yogurt? i don't even think I can drip it. but if it's got tons of yummy probiotics in it i hate to toss it out.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:25 PM

I would **** eat the yogurt in smoothies. I am forgetting exactly what the diet is you are on, but if you are eating any grains the diarrhea can be from that. I have found that it doesn't matter if I eat whole grains or not they do not sit well with me.

on that note, the past 2 days I have done no grain, or sugar- just a little honey yesterday! No gas, loose stools, or running to the restroom. All of this despite having cabbage soup for supper! I have even resisted chocolate and I am having my period

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
Old 01-04-2006, 10:00 PM

i myself have no gut sxs, it is ds that can't handle any proteins really in my milk. i'll make a smoothie with it tonight
Old 01-05-2006, 01:27 AM

Well, its time for my family to start healing our guts. It has been an on and off struggle for me. My dd#1 has been on antibiotics for ear infections and now has yeast. The holidays are awful because around every corner someone is offering her sweets. DD#2 has some stomache problems too. She has had some pale white diarhea. Not sure what that is from. Started about a month ago (the pale white poops, the diarhea has been recent - started a few days after christmas). And myself, i have struggled with candida for 13yrs and it has turned systemic. DH probably has candida too, but is in denial. He loves bread and chocolate (who doesn't?? )

I bought some realy expensive probiotics. Almost $40 for 60 caps. Tried making raw milk yogurt out of it. Don't have a yogurt maker, so i put the batch sitting infront of our wood stove. The first batch turned out pretty good. The second did not. After eating the second batch, me and the girls ate it, we all had upset bellies. It was a 12 hour batch and kind of runny. I have wasted lots of milk trying to make yogurt. This was my second year asking for a yogurt maker for christmas and i still don't have one : .

Ah well. I guess i came here for support.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:57 AM

Hi vegmom. I make my yogurt by the woodstoves these days but I still put the jars in a cooler with warm water in the bottom to regulate the temperature. I put the cooler too close once and won't do that again. I ended up with one jar of wierd stuff. I had a yogurt maker and turned to a lower-tech approach so that I could makes oodles of it.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

Old 01-05-2006, 04:23 AM

Well, I'm sitting here drinking my homemade pomegranate wine (sorry diet ladies) and wanted to report that I am feeling pretty darned good. And it's not the wine speaking. At least I don't think it's the wine.

I reported a few weeks ago that I have high arsenic levels and that it threw off my thyroid. I had no energy, grew out of my pants, etc. I didn't see an end in sight. Planned to get chelated. Jane scared me out of it. Well, that's about half true. I decided that since the reason for the high levels seemed to be an on-going magnesium deficiency that turned into a magnesium and calcium deficiency, that I should work on those first. Chelation would not work as well with those deficiencies present anyway and I would still have to fix them, so why not fix them first and see how I do. And if I could avoid the time and cost of chelation, all the better. (And the backlash from Jane of course. ) This decision fits with the overall philosophy we follow here anyway, I was entertaining the idea of chelation because I really hate to wait around, particularly when I have perfectly good pants waiting to be worn.

So I came back from a holiday trip to the Philadelphia area where I splurged quite a number of times, but stayed on the mineral supplements. I had the slightest little hint of thrush at one point but had nothing to treat it. It didn't matter because it never materialized. Now I'm back home with energy and actually doing the work my clients pay me to do. I spent 5 hours with a school superintendent yesterday doing data analysis and I was fine. It's a miracle. I'd call the Pope to have it verified if we weren't mad at him.

Here's a snipet for those with metal issues: cells regenerate every three months. So all of the metals hooked up in your cells have the opportunity to be replaced by minerals if those minerals are available. I'm just trying to keep my detox pathways open and loading up on the minerals. So far, so good. And all of us pregnant and breastfeeding mamas should be loading up on the minerals anyway. I know it was the breastfeeding that knocked out my calcium.

Have I mentioned that we "volunteered" to give up our seats on the flight home, spent 9+ hours in the airport at Salt Lake City on their 3 moving sidewalks, escalators, children's play areas, and children's toy store with our 3 1/2 year old and earned 1200 Delta Dollars. I'm grinning ear-to-ear here. Our initial tickets were purchased with frequent flyer miles. I may have to come visit some of you ladies to use up this windfall in the next year. We also got $42 in credit for airport food and I found a "seared ahi salad" with a sesame seed dressing and pickled ginger. Who knew you could get real food in an airport. Of course I topped it off with coffee so that I could stay awake on those moving sidewalks, but let's overlook that and focus on those 1200 Delta Dollars.

Old 01-05-2006, 05:16 PM

galeforce, what a wonderful update, thanks for sharing! It sounds like you earned those dollars

I have noticed similiar things here as well. I have found I must take my prenatals, kelp and extra magnesium daily in order to ovulate and cycle. I have also found that doing this I have all this wonderful energy and motivation. I am finally living life, doing things I want to do. I have patience and love, MOST days, I am a much better mommy

vegmom- welcome! I hope that you find the support you need here! It sounds like you guys really need to get rid of the yeast. My dh is in denial as well! He has had a yi for 7 yrs or so, but won't change his diet !!

carrie, aha, I get confused easily sometimes! hope you enjoyed your smoothie! can I add my personal experience? I didn't think that I had gut issues either, I started down this path because of lil' man. I went on the SCD diet, all was fine and grand. Lil' man did so much better. I went off, then I noticed that when I eat rice, or pasta I have to rush to the br in 20 min. I NEVER noticed this before. Pasta and rice were huge staples in our diet. I have also found that even with taking supplements chocolate and sugar make me a mean person. So, just offereing that up. I also noticed that it took me awhile to ascertain how "full" was supposed to feel. I was so accostomed to this bloating with carbs- which I never realized. I would eat, feel full, and then be hungry 5 min later. I am eating more nutrient dense foods now and it is an entirely different feeling. I still eat frequently- which I think is a good idea regardless, but now I don't have that bloated feeling and the accompanying rollercoaster of blood sugar. Also, even though I am trying not to lose weight my weight naturally settles a few pounds lower off of grains.

Old 01-06-2006, 01:25 PM

is anyone doing anti-candida or has done it? it has been like 5 days and i feel like crap sometimes. going outside or resting seems to help. is this yeast die off? i feel fatigued kinda like my limbs are heavy.

i want to avoid enough starchy foods to starve the yeast. but i am trying to eat some whole grains, some starchy vegetables, and i had like 2 bananas since i started. i am trying to eat lots of veggies. i'm afraid i will go into ketosis and we are trying to conceive. i don't really like to eat tons of meat so i have been trying to eat more fish, eggs, oils, etc.

i would love to hear from anyone that knows.

i just read the yeast connection hand book but i'm still a little unsure about everything.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Nichole

Yes all that sounds like die off. Whole grains, if you are not digesting them fully, do cause fermentation and feed the yeast. Also, if they are not soaked beforehand, can be hard to digest b/c of the phytates in them.

Make sure the bananas are fully ripe with black spots.

You don't have to eat tons of meat at all. Are you eating nuts?

Enzymes would help... high proteases eat up the dead yeast cells and reduce die off.

Also activated charcoal taken at night. It will absorb the toxins.

Drink a LOT of water.

Are you eating yogurt too? That can cause die off too.

SCD is an anti yeast diet as well. I found it easier and more effective than Crook's recs.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrietorgc
well the second batch of yogurt is a bust - so on to ordering the progurt starter and using my friends yogurt maker. at the rate i;m downing the probiotics this will be WAY cheaper for long term!
''

Breastmilk yogurt doesn't firm up... the protein matrix cannot gel like the casein in cow's milk.

Does it taste acidy like it has more probiotics? That will be the test of effectiveness.

I use my oven with the light turned on, I love it and never use my yogurt maker anymore.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegmom
Well, its time for my family to start healing our guts. It has been an on and off struggle for me. My dd#1 has been on antibiotics for ear infections and now has yeast. The holidays are awful because around every corner someone is offering her sweets. DD#2 has some stomache problems too. She has had some pale white diarhea. Not sure what that is from. Started about a month ago (the pale white poops, the diarhea has been recent - started a few days after christmas). And myself, i have struggled with candida for 13yrs and it has turned systemic. DH probably has candida too, but is in denial. He loves bread and chocolate (who doesn't?? )

I bought some realy expensive probiotics. Almost $40 for 60 caps. Tried making raw milk yogurt out of it. Don't have a yogurt maker, so i put the batch sitting infront of our wood stove. The first batch turned out pretty good. The second did not. After eating the second batch, me and the girls ate it, we all had upset bellies. It was a 12 hour batch and kind of runny. I have wasted lots of milk trying to make yogurt. This was my second year asking for a yogurt maker for christmas and i still don't have one : .

Ah well. I guess i came here for support.
Welcome, glad to have you here

All about poop color here:
http://www.enzymestuff.com/rtstools.htm

The runny yogurt may have gotten too hot and killed off the good guys, then some bad guys might have grown after that.

To make raw milk yogurt, heat to 100 degrees. I just submerge a glass 2 qt jar in a big pot and run tap water around it.

Then mix in a 1/4 cup of yogurt for every quart or a packet of Yogourmet starter.

Put in a barely warm oven. Turn light on. Leave for 24 hrs.

Do a trial run with water first to see if the oven light keeps it between 100 and 110 F (on the lower side is better with raw, higher if pasteurized.)

One teaspoon of 24 hr yogurt contains 15 billion bacteria count. It really is way more effective and economical than pills. Start slow with tiny amounts on your kids, because it can cause die off and upset digestive systems for a while as it changes things.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Amanda,

I'm such a meany head!

For the record, I'm not against chelation per se, just specific kinds!!

Although the more I read about nutrition, the more I do believe that the body can heal itself with optimal support and that anything that *makes* it heal faster has the potential to cause harm in doing so.

I'm still on the fence re: chelation for myself. I have another year before I can consider TTC after my fillings were removed, so I have some time.

That's awesome re: how you feel AND your travel dollars!

I have DS on magnesium citrate but I think that version might be kicking up some yeast. Haven't had time to research that yet. What kind of mag are you taking?

You should go on an awesome trip to soak up some sun. I recommend St. John island in the winter, so fabulous! I wish I was snorkeling there right now... sigh.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Yay Crunchy Mama!

Sounds like you are on your way, I'm so glad to hear it
Old 01-06-2006, 06:12 PM

jane, that explains it! it was way watery though. it did smell more acidy, so i guess it worked. my progurt starter arrived, so i'll try another batch

do you have the oven on at all? we've got some whirlpool double oven that scares me, i barely know how to program it.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:34 PM

I'm glad to hear good things with you guys I mean gals. I found myself eating lots of almond waffles and bananas over the holidays. weight is holding at 116 and I can't eat another avocado. I do LOVE peaches!
Old 01-07-2006, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter

No oven is not on, just the light. I do heat it up first using the lowest setting, but just for a couple minutes. Some people plan ahead and just put the light on for an hour or two.

I have an electric oven but I've heard that some people with gas ovens, just the pilot light is enough. If the regular wattage lightbulb doesn't work at keeping it warm enough, you can install a higher one. Just take it out and replace with the regular one when you finish.

Ikesmom, have you seen the green pudding recipe at www.pecanbread.com with avocado? It's easy to hide, meatballs or meatloaf works too.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:32 AM

Thank you for your advice and welcomes. I was going to ask what scd diet was but Janes link gave me the answer .
Old 01-07-2006, 03:29 AM

crunchy_mom, what kind of mineral supplements are you taking? I wonder about them, as Elaine said that unless you have the right balance, supplementing can throw others of them off.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

Old 01-07-2006, 01:20 PM

Jane,

thank you for the feedback.

i have heard that about grains, but the idea of not eating them concerns me. is it ok if i eat lots of vegetables instead? i am concerned about ketosis and the possible pregnancy. i am really confused with everything.

i did not know scd was anti yeast. i guess i need to look into scd and soaking grains.

THANKS!@!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
Nichole

Yes all that sounds like die off. Whole grains, if you are not digesting them fully, do cause fermentation and feed the yeast. Also, if they are not soaked beforehand, can be hard to digest b/c of the phytates in them.

Make sure the bananas are fully ripe with black spots.

You don't have to eat tons of meat at all. Are you eating nuts?

Enzymes would help... high proteases eat up the dead yeast cells and reduce die off.

Also activated charcoal taken at night. It will absorb the toxins.

Drink a LOT of water.

Are you eating yogurt too? That can cause die off too.

SCD is an anti yeast diet as well. I found it easier and more effective than Crook's recs.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:22 PM

Quote:
I have DS on magnesium citrate but I think that version might be kicking up some yeast. Haven't had time to research that yet. What kind of mag are you taking?
My MCHC Calcium has magnesium glycinate (I think glycinate) in it. I have found a child's version. It is highly absorbable and apparently good for people with metal issue. But I'll be doing more reading on it and I'll get back to you.

Quote:
You should go on an awesome trip to soak up some sun. I recommend St. John island in the winter, so fabulous! I wish I was snorkeling there right now... sigh.
Well, right now I am sitting in Oceanside, just north of San Diego. We took a quick trip on a lark to visit my aunt and uncle. We had grassfed fillet mignon last night lugged down in a cooler.

Old 01-07-2006, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichole
i have heard that about grains, but the idea of not eating them concerns me. is it ok if i eat lots of vegetables instead? i am concerned about ketosis and the possible pregnancy. i am really confused with everything.
When I am being good and strict, I eat no grains at all. I am well past the stage of reacting to everything but I just don't digest grains well -- soaked or unsoaked. I can probably have sprouted grains, but haven't tried them enough to know.

In the days before agriculture, our ancestors ate no grains and their lines lived for hundreds of thousands of years.

Old 01-08-2006, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichole
Jane,

thank you for the feedback.

i did not know scd was anti yeast. i guess i need to look into scd and soaking grains.

THANKS!@!!!!!
I hear you... carbs on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet are non starchy veggies, fruits, juice and honey. Hence the word "Specific" not "No" Carb diet Ketosis is NOT a part of SCD.

Winter squashes are very good to try this time of year... soups, roasted, stuffed, etc. There are so many different kinds and ways of cooking them.

And start with cooked fruits. I think it is a shame that fruits roundly labeled "bad for yeast" when it's really whether your digestion is breaking down the cell walls so the simple sugars can be absorbed.

Meaning: raw and dried fruits are much harder to digest... and therefore what is not digested, ferments, feeds the yeast etc. But "Breaking the Vicious Cycle" explains how cooked fruits are more easily digested and assimilated before they reach the lower parts of the intestines where the bad guys live. And juice diluted 50/50 with water.

In practice I have seen this with DS and I. He still needs most of his fruits cooked. And I can eat many many things now, but dried fruits still can be problematic for me (much to my dismay b/c field green/goat cheese/dried cranberry salad is my favorite!!!)
Old 01-08-2006, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegmom
Thank you for your advice and welcomes. I was going to ask what scd diet was but Janes link gave me the answer .
I'll be more specific for you and any lurkers

Pecanbread.com is specifically for ASD kids but the food phase charts are very helpful for adding foods first which are found to be easier to digest.

The main website for the SCD is www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info
See the "Beginner" section, the "Overview" and especially the "Science Behind the Diet".

www.pecanbread.com Science behind the diet is excellent as well. Then you will understand why the SCD is designed to be anti yeast.
Old 01-08-2006, 12:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale Force
In the days before agriculture, our ancestors ate no grains and their lines lived for hundreds of thousands of years.
How true. This is so shocking to today's culture of "eat whole grains" yadda, yadda, yadda... even if those grains are comprised of toxic cereal in a box!

I often wonder if whole grains added to today's diet will be even worse b/c they are so hard to digest, oatmeal contains the highest amount of phytates for example.

Many cultures lived without grains... Eskimos had perfect bones/teeth and no disease only on meat and fat! ...but the right kind of meat and fat

(I know you know this but your comment just gave me a fun opportunity to rant!)

User Tag List