can probiotics CAUSE diarrhea? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-06-2006, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ds is on abx right now, so I bought a probiotic supplement for him. He's been taking it and yesterday had diarrhea, which I figured was from the abx. But I also decided to take the probiotic myself since I've been having IBS-like symptoms lately and thought it might help. Well today I have diarrhea too. It could just be coincidence, but has anyone experienced or heard of probiotics causing diarrhea? Should we try a different kind?
#2 of 9 Old 01-06-2006, 11:31 AM

I've heard taking too much can cause it...but I don't know. It's never happened to DS or I, and we take the recommended dosage.
#3 of 9 Old 01-06-2006, 11:40 AM

It might at first--trying to get the good bacteria going. When my teen recently had surgery, he took all his antbx followed by a spoon of organic yogurt. Worked like a charm.
#4 of 9 Old 01-06-2006, 10:39 PM

Make sure you are giving the probiotics at a different time than the abx, like if the abx are every 4 hours, do the probiotics two hours after/before you've given the abx. Also I've read that when you first start probiotics you can experience a "die-off" effect of your gut getting rid of an excess of the bad bugs which I would imagine could easily result in diarrhea. HTH

read.gif mama to 2 dust.gifhomeschool.giftreehugger.gifsaynovax.gifRainbow.gif
#5 of 9 Old 01-06-2006, 11:43 PM

yep, i would stick it out for you and give ds a smaller dose. your bodies will adjust. they tend to work best on an empty tummy, so if you take the abx with meals just take the probiotic in btwn
#6 of 9 Old 01-06-2006, 11:46 PM

Yeah, you might be taking too much too soon, maybe try lowering dosage for a few days and then work up to it?
#7 of 9 Old 01-06-2006, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmm. We are doing the pro- at a different time from the anti-. (I'm giving him the probiotic with breastmilk about an hour before food+abx, figuring then the blood level of the abx is low and there's time for the probiotic to be digested before the abx kick in.) I guess it could be die-off, though neither of us has any yeast etc. probs.
#8 of 9 Old 01-07-2006, 12:02 AM

yeast is funny though, i had no sxs at all but sure do have die off! plus the baby has thrush again, so i know that even if i am not showing signs, it is there. btw, yeast can cause ibs symptoms due to leaky gut syndrome.
#9 of 9 Old 07-28-2008, 04:22 PM

I know this is a really old thread.... but I am having this same issue.

I ran out of the Solgar probiotic that I was taking, so I started taking another brand that an ND had given me a while back. The first time I tried it (a couple months ago), I ended up getting super sick for 2 weeks- diarrhea about a million times a day, everything I ate just went straight through me, totally undigested. I thought I narrowed it down to my digestive enzymes- I figured that I had become sensitized to something in them (we're doing all this gut healing for serious food allergies in DD and I). Never once thought it was the probiotics, but I stopped taking them just in case.

Well now I started taking them again, and same thing- 3rd day of taking them, the diarrhea just started.

They are Pharmax HLC High Potency caps. They are way stronger than the Solgar ones I was taking, but I'm not taking anywhere near the recommended dose (of 2 caps 2x per day)- I'm taking one, once per day.

Has anyone else had probiotics cause this kind of problem? Is it just too strong for me? Should I start splitting up the capsules, or just skip this brand altogether?

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page