Does/Did your child have Obstructive Sleep Apnea?... Need Help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-14-2006, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HI Mamas,

Well, dd is four and a half and has never slept well and we've never understood why. She often wakes still crying and calling for us (we do family bed and ap).

I noticed about a year ago that she had these little moments in the night where she didnt' breathe and then would start and then breathe again. Only when her nose was stuffy though.

Well, she started a little co-op preschool 6 months ago (spends most of the day outside romping around in sand/dry dirt) and her nose seems chronically stuffy. BUT it's not wet, never runs and she can't blow anything out of it.

So... the sleep apnea espisodes are every night now multiple times. Her body will jerk and she shifts positions. She sleeps with her mouth open completely.

The doc we saw suspects sleep apnea and recommends we see an ENT doc about removing the adenoids. He also recommended a formal sleep study and to test her blood for food allergens.

So.... Mamas who've been through this.... what did you do? Did you do the adenoidectomy (sp?) Did you use something else that worked? Did you do a sleep study?

Any support and encouragement, what worked what didn't, questions that helped you make decisions etc. would be great. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 01-14-2006, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Bump.... anyone?
#3 of 4 Old 01-14-2006, 10:26 PM

We tried out a couple of allergy meds, which didn't mend the situation but did add in some scary side effects (like sleep walking and night terrors), and ended up consulting an ENT and going with the surgery. That first night, no more apnea. This was my 10 year old son, he was 3 at the time.
#4 of 4 Old 01-15-2006, 03:00 PM

I went through something like this with my daughter. She is now nearly 7, but at the age of 4 or so she was having moments in the night where she would stop breathing and then gasp for breath. She was also having terribly snoring episodes.
I was under a lot of stress and in school full time and I still wonder about where my head was when I let them take out her tonsils....This is not to say that it may not be the best thing for your situation, I would only suggest that you really research it first.
My daughter continued to have the problems long after they were removed and I was really angry at myself for just jumping into something that I didn't really want to do. She has stopped the obnoxious snoring, but I think that was just an age thing and the sleep apnea seems to have stopped now as well, it went on for so many months, years after the surgery though, that I cannot say it was the surgery that helped anything.
Her situation was not as severe as some, but I would just research and make sure that it is what you want, and what is necessary!

Hope that makes sense. It is hard to concentrate with 2 kids bouncing in and out!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page