Keratosis Pilaris is Vitamin A deficiency - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 01-18-2006, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've read elsewhere, but this jogged my memory
http://greenpasture.org/awe_butter_oil.php

This has been true for DS, he gets the bumps if I give him low vitamin A cod liver oil, he needs the good high vitamin stuff!!

More on Vitamin A here http://www.westonaprice.org/basicnut...aminasaga.html

No it's not AT ALL toxic for anyone, children, pregnant women, etc. despite mainstream medicine's assertions, *Retinol* the chemical form has been shown in studies to be toxic in large quantities and they just lump all vitamin A together. Heaven forbid they study real vitamins!

I think it's a travesty and a true harm to everyone's health that Vitamin A from animal sources got that Rep.

...sorry for mini rant
#2 of 18 Old 01-19-2006, 12:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
:

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#3 of 18 Old 01-19-2006, 12:19 AM

HOLY CRAP!

I have never ever ever seen my condition in print. EVER! I am going to read up on the above now. Thank you!!!

What are the odds that I hit "new posts" and got this very specialized post.

Thank you! Thank you! THANK YOU!!
#4 of 18 Old 01-19-2006, 12:20 AM

So, ds and I have this...I have been wondering wht his mystery rash was!!!he is so much like me and dd is so much like dh when it comes to these things. What are some good forms of vitamin A besides cod liver oil?it is on the avoid list for blood type O according to the blood type diet.I haven't typed my kids, but O is dominant and he exhibits some of the same traits as me.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#5 of 18 Old 01-19-2006, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Fish eggs and shellfish.

Butter from grass fed cows, egg yolks from pastured hens... they both will be naturally a very deep yellow to orange.

Organ meats are an excellent source, be sure they are organic.

Vitamin A is found only in animal products, not carrots etc. (that is beta carotene).

If anyone wants to take supplements, Carlson fish liver oil vitamin A is one that is natural. Avoid the retinol palmitate version of Vitamin A like the plague. But cod liver oil has so many other huge benefits

Cod Liver Oil: The Number One Superfood
http://www.westonaprice.org/basicnut...dliveroil.html

Leila, why not just try it and see how you feel? What is it supposed to do to O types? I also believe in ancestral food history... meaning what your ethnic type ate you are more well suited to include in your diet: dairy for northern Europeans, not for Asians for example.
#6 of 18 Old 01-19-2006, 06:24 PM

Well, crap, I just found out my beloved supplemental for dd has retinol plmitate!!!! It is Childlife essentials, in case anyone is interested. I will have to look for another i guess. I am off later to buy some cod liver oil. I will try it and see. I would have to look it up jane, i can't remember why ....
Supposedly type O is the "hunter gatherer' food type. meanign little dairy, grains-lots of meat and fruits and veggies and nuts. So I will try the cod liver oil and see.

Just wanted to say thanks for this thread I actually have not so good vision at night while driving-lights hurt my eyes- I can still see though. I was told your eyes change from pregnancy and nursing and go back when you are finished. But a deficiency from nursing would make sense!

#7 of 18 Old 01-19-2006, 07:07 PM

Oh!

i didnt know that was a deficiency!!! Good grief I have always had those ingrown-goosebump things on my thighs.

I know I use to be deficient in A as it manifested itself in earaches as a child. Guess I still am deficient.

My oldest dd is also difficient it would seem.
#8 of 18 Old 01-19-2006, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

This is only a small example of the danger of the current low fat craze.
#9 of 18 Old 01-19-2006, 08:27 PM

Oh my, there was a really annoying father at Trader Joes yesterday. He was first of all talking out loud and excitedly about EVERYTHING he was shopping for to his 2 year old son. Then, he was getting milk and saying"Now that you are 2, we will get the lowfat stuff and mix it with your whole milk to phase it out.You are 2 now so you don't need all that fat. You are skinny enough, but you still don't need it!"
I was just in shick. Me and this older woman exchanged "what a weirdo he is" glances.

i cannot imagine depriving a growing mind of fat!!!!!UGH. I mean, hello, what do you think your brain is made up of??"

#10 of 18 Old 01-19-2006, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I found out purely by accident that taking cod liver oil helped my KP. I started using clo for another reason and to my surprise my KP disappeared. I've seen a dermatologist and an internist but neither one told me there could be a simple dietary fix for the bumps. They simply prescribed a cream and sent me on my merry way with the oh-so-helpful statement, "well, it's probably genetic."

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
#11 of 18 Old 01-19-2006, 09:35 PM

hmm, that blood type diet thing is interesting -- so you can't eat fish, only red meat? That seems odd. Because hunter-gatherers didn't go near the ocean? I guess the best source of vitamin A for a non-fish eater and non-dairy eater would be liver. Just make sure it's organic, preferably grass fed (closer to natural).

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#12 of 18 Old 01-19-2006, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilalu
Oh my, there was a really annoying father at Trader Joes yesterday. He was first of all talking out loud and excitedly about EVERYTHING he was shopping for to his 2 year old son. Then, he was getting milk and saying"Now that you are 2, we will get the lowfat stuff and mix it with your whole milk to phase it out.You are 2 now so you don't need all that fat. You are skinny enough, but you still don't need it!"
I was just in shick. Me and this older woman exchanged "what a weirdo he is" glances.

i cannot imagine depriving a growing mind of fat!!!!!UGH. I mean, hello, what do you think your brain is made up of??"

Except he is following the current AAP recommendations!!

Since my DS turned 2, this is all the mainstream moms have talked about with respect to nutrition. Meanwhile their kids gets tons of sugar and white flour and other processed "food" all day. But they get their lowfat milk and lowfat (sugared up) yogurt so they must be eating right!

I'm actually very sensitive to this: DS is a little chunk. Of course he is also grain/potato/rice free and sugar free b/c of the special diet he is on... no other kid eats the tons of veggies/fruits he does a day.

I actually had a mom say to me the other day he should be slimming down now b/c he's finally weaned!!!!!! :

Totally re: brain. Cholesterol is extremely crucial for myelin and nerve development. I think I heard before the age of 6 is the most crucial. Or is that the immune system? Actually it doesn't matter b/c fat and cholesterol are excellent for the immune system too!
#13 of 18 Old 01-19-2006, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
This is only a small example of the danger of the current low fat craze.

We dont eat low fat in this household nor was I raised that way.

Not a liver eater anymore. Was when I was kid, loved it with onions

When dh and I go hunting this year I may save the livers if they look good.

Nothing like liver and oinios

We drink raw whole milk.
#14 of 18 Old 01-19-2006, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

then you are WAY ahead of the pack! I didn't mean you specifically, I meant it more for the people like the Trader Joe's father

I've never had liver and onions. It's seriously on my New Year's Resolutions list!
#15 of 18 Old 01-20-2006, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookietooth
hmm, that blood type diet thing is interesting -- so you can't eat fish, only red meat? That seems odd. Because hunter-gatherers didn't go near the ocean? I guess the best source of vitamin A for a non-fish eater and non-dairy eater would be liver. Just make sure it's organic, preferably grass fed (closer to natural).
Oh, oops- I can eat fish
but sadly, I don't eat enough. I like salmon, but I get so scared because i get confused in the store over which fish are okay for nursing moms.

And suppossedly,the blood types evolved over ages and ages. It was the bodies way of adapting to different food available. Blood type O is the origional though and dominant.
I just feel so much better eating meat. Though I don't think I end up eating enough. I was a veggie for 7 years and was always struggling to get enough vitamin B and was actually pretty depressed alot of the time. I just feel more stable emotionally and physically when I even loosely adhere to the blood type way of eating.And I do eat some dairy, but try not to have too much, and try to get it from sheep or goat instead of just cows.I can handle a very small amount before I start to feel bad from it.
The books are written by Dr. D'Adamo.

#16 of 18 Old 01-20-2006, 03:57 AM

So, I went to Whole foods tonight and got some cod liver oil for us all.
But ugh, the woman there was little miss know-it-all and was really badgering me
She was insisting that retinol was good,and I was trying to explain to her that syntheitc A is not good..... She even got out her books and was trying to convince me that I was wrong

#17 of 18 Old 01-21-2006, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter

I love it.... Whole Foods is telling you something synthetic is as good as the natural version? Boy have they sold out or what. Well not that their nutritional supplement people have undergone any sort of centralized training. I've had run ins with a few doozies there myself. Now I just say, "I'm fine, just browsing!"
#18 of 18 Old 01-21-2006, 01:55 AM

Thanks so much for this We have already been taking CLO, but i have to be more consistent.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page