Yellow mucous discharge from eyes - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-22-2006, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Moms

My 22 mos old had a runny nose yesterday - just clear mucous. Today he has a thick yellow mucousy discharge from his eyes and he is really irritable. One eye was a little pink. He would not nap and was crying and only wanted to nurse.

I was able to put some breastmilk in his eyes. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Should I put the breastmilk in his nose too since it is runny?

I called the doc after a day of him being so uncomfortable and she said to bring him in tommorow. She thinks it could be an ear infection since pink eye does not make a child so uncomfortable. Is that true?

I have never had to give my son antibiotics before so I am sad to think of starting now. How do you know when it is the right thing?

Sorry so many questions but any advice would be so appreciated.
#2 of 5 Old 01-22-2006, 10:49 PM

We are going through/went through this. From my Dr. Sears babybook signs of an ear infection include;
eye discharge
nose discharge increasingly thick and colored
fever
trouble sleeping
crankiness

That's about all I can think of right now. I had did a search just today on ear infections and many posted about some garlic drops for the ears. You might try doing a such as well.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#3 of 5 Old 01-22-2006, 10:54 PM

The yellow mucous sounds like pink eye. They can get this when they have a cold-as my DD did last winter.
We put polysporin drops in and it cleared right up.
Speaking from experience, pink eye feels like you have something gritty in your eye and it stings (and itches) It's not nice. But this may all be part and parcel to whichever virus he has that's making him feel yucky.
#4 of 5 Old 01-23-2006, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone.

I went to the doc she put him on a antibiotic eye drop medication because she says he has pink eye.

She said he also has an ear infection but she is willing to wait to put him on an oral antibiotic to see if he fights it on his own.

Any ideas of how to fight it?

I am putting breastmilk in his ears.

Nursing him as much as possible.

Giving him as much fluids as possible.

Warm baths with eucalyptus.

He has a runny nose and is just plain miserable.

thanks for any suggestions.
#5 of 5 Old 01-23-2006, 10:39 PM

You could also try using a vibrating massager on his inner thighs- it helps the ears drain (sort of an acupressure sort of thing). And you could try putting garlic oil in his ear, then have him lay with that ear down on you (skin) or on a heating pad.

Hope he is feeling better soon!

BTW- I found this thread because my dd started having yellow gooey stuff frome the eyes today, so I'm glad this thread was here to read.

Laura, Mama to Mya 7/02, Ian 6/07 and Anna 8/09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page