15 month old with diarrhea *only* - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-24-2006, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi oh wise mamas!
Any insight would be greatly appreciated with this!
my dd- Sydney has had diarrhea for a week and 1/2. First it was loose stools, very dark green (like she was getting a lot of iron) then the last 48 hours her stool changed to yellowish, and watery.
I say over a week, because her normal stool is pretty solid- enough to need a knock in the toilet to clean the diaper.
Okay- so:
1- she stopped nursing @ 13 mo.
2- she refuses any liquid dairy (eats minimum cheese)
3-her liquid intake is good- actually more than good thoughout this-8oz orange juice in the am, 16 oz diluted grape juice during the day, 8 oz water.
4-No other symptoms of illness- no fever, irritability, accept for diaper rash from stool, no problems sleeping
5-Hypothyriod issues and currently on .05mcg of Synthroid
Her meals are as well balanced as I can get them. She eats green beans as her *green veggie* pb&j for lunches with graham crackers, Dinner- meat meat meat! Loves eggs, sausage, hamburger, potatos-basically an all around good eater.
No dietary change going one either.

No one else in the family is having issues.

Anyone know what might be going on here? And what I can do to firm up the stool long enough to heal the diaper rash?

Thanks again mamas!!!!

Mama to 5 babies. UCer, too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2006, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Maybe probiotics? Illness can mess up the intestinal flora.

Normally I'd just say that looser stools might be "normal" for her but if it's causing diaper rash then it sounds like a problem.

How are you washing her bottom when you change her? I suggest that you wash her in the sink with warm running water and very mild soap, and then gently pat dry. If you've been using wipes, they might have been irritating her skin and/or not doing a thorough enough job of cleaning her skin.

How long has she been on the Synthroid? I'm wondering if she could be having a GI reaction to one of the "inert ingredients" in the medication (such as artificial colors or flavors.)

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
Old 01-24-2006, 08:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
8oz orange juice in the am, 16 oz diluted grape juice during the day

A child that age is only supposed to drink 4 oz of juice a day, and even that is not recommended.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Ruth-
she's been on Synthroid since birth. I tried to offer her yogurt- but I really think she is lactose intollerant simply because she will not touch dairy, with the acception of cheese.
For diaper changes, I use facecloths in warm water, but now that is really buggin her so I will start to rinse her bum like you said. Today I gave her a bum bath in the tub to soothe her.
Since she doesn't like dairy- do you know if acidophylis comes in forms for children?

Old 01-24-2006, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaInTheBoonies

A child that age is only supposed to drink 4 oz of juice a day, and even that is not recommended.
She is sooo thirsty all the time. Probably too much "sugar" but she does drink a ton.

That makes me worry about diabetes, too. (excessive thirst)
I always make sure they have a sippy of something all day long. I guess I am paranoid of dehydration.

Old 01-24-2006, 08:48 PM
Banned

I would recommend not giving her anymore juice. That is just way too much for such a tiny body.
Water is fine.
Dairy is not needed, either, as many of the nutrients/proteins/etc. can be found in many other more nutritious foods.

Cheese is probably all she needs at that age for dairy intake.

It sounds like she is eating healthy, but the juice is way too much.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

holy crap- they are drinking a ton of fluid. http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/yourchild/feed.htm#milk
I wish I could drink that much!
thanks for all your insight mamas!

User Tag List