burning durring/after intercourse - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 38 Old 01-29-2006, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi,
dh and i were making love a few nights ago when i had a burning sensation. i told him we need to "get done" and i went in the bathroom, and the pain intensified, especially when urinating. (i took a hot shower, it helped )

i need to know if anyone else has experienced this and how they have overcome.

the pain is not internal, it is intense burning. feels like passing a baby through the "ring of fire" (very painful)

it is not a UTI, i've had these before and know how they feel, and know that if it was a UTI that after a couple of days i would be in alot off pain all the time.

other important info: i have two children, ds 4 and ds 1 1/2, i am nusring 1 1/2 yr old, many times day and night.
i have just started menstrating again about 2 weeks ago, after not getting my period since 1 1/2 yr old was concieved (so i haven't had it for over 2 years)

now the only other time i've had this pain was durring/after intercourse, sparatically (not every time) durring a range of time of a few months before ds#2 (now 1 1/2) was consieved. it is not internal, it doesn't feel like my ovaries or anything.

i asked my doc about this the first time it happened (before ds#2) and she said it ws because i was nursing. she said that she can tell i am nursing just by looking at my vaginal tissue, that it was red and irritated. well, we're not going to stop nursing, or making love! any one else going through this?
is this related to nursing and while my body is back on a cycle?
is it related to using commercial pads?
do i just need to drink more water?
lots of questions, please help, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 38 Old 01-29-2006, 11:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm having really bad burning with intercourse too. It doesn't hurt any other time either. I've read that burning during sex could be a yeast infection. I have no itching or discharge though. I may be seeing my OB/GYN for this since DH & I stopped having sex because of the pain....I would get chills!

Wish I could help you more...I'm nursing too, & have heard that could cause it...but this much pain??

#3 of 38 Old 01-30-2006, 12:29 AM - Thread Starter

glad i'm not alone

let's get to the bottom of this thing and make it go away!
#4 of 38 Old 01-30-2006, 05:43 AM

I have experienced this, but maybe not as bad as yours. I think my tissue is just very sensitive and easily injured since I'm nursing. Using a lubricant helps.
#5 of 38 Old 01-30-2006, 05:50 AM

nak

I get this from time to time but had it before DD and nursing. I noticed it happened when we weren't too big on me being wet enough (TMI? ) Could that be the case? I know nursing dries you out more so if it then yes nursing could make it worse. Also, do you shave below the belt? I do (again TMI? ) and if I get that stinging it is often days when I just shaved, yk? The skin is irritated and the movements of sex rub it.....and if you are dry then it just compounds it. I hope you figure out what causes it in your case!

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
#6 of 38 Old 01-30-2006, 12:41 PM

In my case, the burning is all vaginal. Even with tons of lubricant. I've tried astroglide & KY. I first experienced the symptoms when I was pregnant with my 2 yr old. I'm researching yeast overgrowth right now. I think that might be it. My 4 month old has a rash that I need to look into. He was inundated with antibiotics when he was born because he swallowed meconium....it was a homebirth transfer turned C/S, so nothing turned out the way I wanted.

Anyway...I hope my OB/GYN or family Dr. see's yeast overgrowth as an actual problem. I don't know of any alternative Dr's in my area.

#7 of 38 Old 01-30-2006, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

the wierd thing is I didn't experience it at all when my body wasn't cycling.
i experienced it after i'd finished menstrating (for the first time in years, what a nice break!) so i'm thinking it must be connected to that, too. rggg.
#8 of 38 Old 01-30-2006, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

i've thought it might be yeast too, but I also do not have any discharge... :
#9 of 38 Old 01-30-2006, 11:30 PM

I have very similar symptoms...at least in my case it seems to be that nursing has affected the balance of estrogen in my body (well, it affects it in all women, but some women are more sensitive to it than others). As a result the vaginal tissue itself is dehydrated (so topical lubricants don't address the underlying problem and don't always relieve the pain...yes, things slide better, but the pain is due to the constriction inside the tissue itself that is caused by the hormonal imbalance). Menstruation and the hormone shifts related to that can also impact the amount of discomfort you feel.

This usually goes away when you stop breastfeeding, but since I'm not going to do that any time soon, I checked with my doctor. She recommended using something like Replense (I found it at Target, but my local megamart had it as well) every other day to moisturize the tissue. If that doesn't work you can also get prescription creams that contain estrogen. I haven't tried that, but using the Replense every few days has helped (I noticed a difference after about a month).

HTH

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#10 of 38 Old 01-30-2006, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter

wow, that does help alot, thanks

um, what is in the product that you are using? is there any fragrance? (potential irritant?)
#11 of 38 Old 01-30-2006, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

oh, and could just drinking a lot more water help too?

and have you had to use it every other day for months? how may months?
#12 of 38 Old 01-31-2006, 12:23 AM

I did this once but it was only after DH ejaculated. We traced it to some diet supplements he was taking.

Mama to:Ben (12), Natalie (9), Zoe (5)

#13 of 38 Old 01-31-2006, 12:27 AM

I don't know about potential allergens...here are the ingredients from the package (and check out www.replense.com):

"Purified water, glycerin, mineral oil, polycarbophil, carbopol 974P, hydrogenated palm oil glyceride, sorbic acid, methylparaben, sodium hydroxide"

I asked dh what some of these are (he's a grad student in nutrition/microbiology) and
they're apparently either "slimy" things or ph balancers (to restore/maintain the proper vaginal ph levels). (the ones I really wondered about were Polycarbophil...it's often used as an oral laxative and carbopol 974P which is a vaginal lubricant and ph balancer).

Replense isn't expensive (and the packaging actually mentions using the product to address breastfeeding related vaginal "discomfort") and it might not hurt to try...the only other option I know is the Rx estrogen cream (which some mamas here at mdc have told me works like a miracle) but an ND or osteopath might be able to blend something up for you that would do the same thing (moisturize the vaginal tissue from the inside out).

In the beginning I used Replense every third day (it's like a tampon applicator filled with goo). After about 3-4 weeks I noticed I wasn't in as much pain. I now use it once or sometimes twice a week. It's not a 100% fix, but I feel a LOT better and my dh is thrilled (he's a sweetie and just not into doing something that has me biting my lip in pain...but he's still a guy and he was getting pretty lonely!)

You might want to check with your doctor to rule out something like yeast or an infection of some sort, but I hope the Replense (if you can use it) helps! This really wasn't in any of those pregnancy books I read!

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#14 of 38 Old 01-31-2006, 01:47 AM

You guys rock!! Thanks so much! I've never heard of it.

#15 of 38 Old 01-31-2006, 02:41 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much, i think i'm going to pick some up tomorow! I'm so glad to find someone who's experienced the same thing and found something to help. when i first told dh, he said, "you should go to mothering.com"
#16 of 38 Old 01-31-2006, 04:39 AM

My two cents - I have also found myself irritated by the usual lubricants. Good Vibrations sellsa lubricant sampler pack for 6.00. I was able to find two lubricants out of the pack that did not irritate me.
#17 of 38 Old 01-31-2006, 09:02 AM

This may or may not be OT but I wanted to post this just in case someone tries the other methods suggested and they don't help. Ok, that said, my heart goes out to you ladies! My dad has a disease and when researching that disease we found out about another disease that sounds an aweful lot like what you are describing (except I think these ladies are in that type of pain all of the time) Here is a web site for more information.
http://www.vulvarpainfoundation.org
#18 of 38 Old 01-31-2006, 11:55 AM

Thanks! I came across that site while researching. My pain is all in the vaginal canal, not on the outside. It only occurs during sex...it feels like a sunburn almost in there....& the friction is just horibble. Even with gallons of lubricant! My son & I are going to the Dr. tomorrow, & see what he says. I do have a lot of symptoms of yeast overgrowth. I printed out a bunch of info & plan on taking it to the Dr. Wish me luck, y'all!

One thing that bugs me though, is that when I was looking up yeast infections, I've read in several places that you can have a yeast infection without the discharge or itching. All these stinkin' years I heard you would have a curdle-like discharge. :

Little bird...I was just re-reading your OP. So, your pain is just on the opening of the canal? Not on the vaginal walls?

Maybe you were really dry when you had sex & created a small fissure. That would explain why it burned when you peed. :

#19 of 38 Old 01-31-2006, 12:45 PM

i have experienced what you describe....very frustrating...something i noticed here a coule months ago....i had a wretched UTI and was on antibiotics...a couple days after being n them we had sex...it felt AWESOME!! no burning, no ittitation....and continued...well after i treated the yeast infection i got from the antibiotic : ....so i'm thinking there was some sort of bacterial vaginosis going on as well and the antibiotics i was on got rid of it. i also noticed prior to being on the antibiotics that there was this "off" odor...do you have that at all? they say that there is somewhat of a fishy odor with a bacterial infection....i would describe it as that as well...anyway...something to consider.

i'm wondering if i have it again as the other night didn't feel so great.... :
#20 of 38 Old 01-31-2006, 02:30 PM

Not an expert here, but I think you should treat the possible silent infection with probiotics and beware of the parabens in Replense- it makes sense that the glycerin, which attracts water- and palm oil work- I just wouldn't want the other ingredients inside me!
#21 of 38 Old 01-31-2006, 02:33 PM

Any discharge? Could be bacterial vaginosis...
#22 of 38 Old 02-01-2006, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

ya know, i have somewhat of a discharge, but it's not gray, (as with atrophic vaginitis) and it is far from curds. no smell. i checked at target for replense, and they were out, but i'll go back soon. i've been okay since we've been abstaining, it's sometimes itchy, but no intense burning.

so where would i get glycerin and palm oil? would that be safe to use those individually?

i think i'll use replense until i find out...

check these out on atrophic vaginitis
http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/aha/aha_avulvo_crs.htm

http://www.mamashealth.com/women/avaginitis.asp
#23 of 38 Old 02-01-2006, 09:35 PM

You guys (and gals) are going to love me - some might say that pain and lack of natural lubrication is due to the missing foreskin.

OK I'm outta here....
#24 of 38 Old 02-01-2006, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitti
You guys (and gals) are going to love me - some might say that pain and lack of natural lubrication is due to the missing foreskin.
I wouldn't doubt it! :
#25 of 38 Old 02-02-2006, 12:47 AM

Except my dh is all natural.

(I know I'm in an unusual position statistically, but I've actually never dated a guy who wasn't "all there" so to speak...not on purpose, it just sort of worked out that way. And of course I'm no longer in a position to check...more than happy with DH for 13 years now!)

#26 of 38 Old 02-02-2006, 02:42 AM

Quote:
I wish my hubby was intact!!

I did see a Dr. today. He was great! Totally listened to my concerns. And I do have a pretty good sized yeast infection going on! Ugh. If it's not cleared up with the meds he gave me, then he's going to treat me for yeast overgrowth.

My baby's rash was ezcema. (sp? I'm too tired to look it up!)

#27 of 38 Old 02-02-2006, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie75

My baby's rash was ezcema. (sp? I'm too tired to look it up!)
dude, both my little one have eczema. ug
#28 of 38 Old 02-02-2006, 10:02 PM

Eczema is caused by allergies. And it's funny, I was just going to post that the only time I have the burning vagina is when I've eaten something I'm allergic to. Something to ponder.
#29 of 38 Old 02-05-2006, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

aha! i am using replense quite blissfuly...
#30 of 38 Old 02-16-2006, 03:32 AM

Me too! I have pain but only on the back side of the opening (where my tiny tear was 10 months ago when babe popped out). It really hurts. I don't enjoy intercourse at all. And we use SOOO much lube (by the way, is there a good natural one to try like olive oil? It could conceiveably do double-duty as inside-out vaginal moisturizer and lube??).

Anyway.... I really don't think I have an infection because I've had all the infections in the world in an extreme way before and this is nothing like it. It does feel like extreme dryness.

I like to think of it as baby's comfort mechanism -he's keeping us from making a sibling that would kick him while nursing on the other breast!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page