Healing the Gut Tribe ~ February - Page 10 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#271 of 443 Old 02-22-2006, 12:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate
The guy at the hfs told dh I should be eating kefir & that the milk he sold me will seperate & that the yogurt will turn out looking curdled when it's done

Then he said something that made me laugh. Granted, I am new at this but this just sounded : That kefir has a left spriral and yogurt has a right spiral which was his reasoning for dh to buy some kefir too. (I know kefir is scd illegal.) Anybody ever heard of this?

I think he was 'cause he didn't want to admit he sold us a rotten product.
Yep, he's pulling that explanation out of his . Spiral?? WTF??

Kefir has beneficial yeasts, so in that way it is different than yogurt. This is a good overview of it:
http://www.mercola.com/forms/kefir.htm

I have used this kefir powder and liked it. It's not "real" kefir made from grains, which I also did, but I did see healing with the powder. (However, yogurt WILL indeed colonize the gut unlike what that link claims, it's been proven by research).

Store bought kefir is not strong enough to heal a damaged gut. Just like store bought yogurt.

I've made so much yogurt and kefir from several different kinds of milk and not once has it curdled.
#272 of 443 Old 02-22-2006, 12:25 AM

I feel like I need more hand holding.

I made zuccini for dinner tonight. I peeled it (right?) but I couldn't figure out any way to deseed it. (they were very small Zuccini).

Also we are off the intro diet. Do we need to stick to the stages from pecan bread or can we just go ahead and eat everything now? Can we eat nuts now? All cooked fruits and veggies for now, right? Amazon still hasn't shipped my book :

I was thrilled that my chiro was so supportive of me doing this diet. He hasn't ever seemed supportive of me doing an anti yeast diet but perhaps he just has so many patients fail at them.

One book I would recomend to everyone here is Dr Schwarzbein's The Program. It is about healing your metabolism. Many of the principles of her book can be applied to scd. Like every meal should contain a carb source and a protein. She is pretty strict about fruit and much prefers whole grains but I think that there is a ton of good info in her books (she is an endocrinologist who started healing her heart disease and type II diabetics with diet/lifestyle changes). Basically looking at the body from a different angle than scd or NT.

Anyhow. I managed to burn the stewed prunes. (made them myself from some unsulpherd prunes I had.) If this doesn't help I may follow those ideas about prune nectar etc. I'm just dying to get the book. I have so many questions!

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
#273 of 443 Old 02-22-2006, 12:58 AM

Thanks, JaneS, for taking the time to respond to all of our questions! I am taking this all in, ordering tons of books from my library, and planning some meals. I am also dealing with Chicken Pox in my not-quite-two-year old and watching for signs in the rest of the gang, so things are a bit crazy here!

Thanks again!
Michele
#274 of 443 Old 02-22-2006, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
(Wow, you sure do make some cute kids )
Aww Thanks !! I agree, but then again I am biased !! You got a beautiful little guy on your hands too. He has such beautiful eyes!!

Thank you SOO much for the info. I think I finally fully understand. I emailed the the people in my local chapter on from the Weston Price site, so hopefully they email me back with the info I need to hear. So please forgive me if this works if I come through the screen and kiss you, lol!

So far I have gotten the BTVC book (Dh is reading it right now at work though).
I got me a yoghurt maker and I got me some organic meat! Now I just need to do some meal planning and attempt to make this life changing yoghurt. I am so excited!!
#275 of 443 Old 02-22-2006, 01:28 AM

Beautiful pugs too
#276 of 443 Old 02-22-2006, 01:45 AM

Quote:
I think I've caught up

So if you (or anyone else) asked something I missed, let me know the post #!
You are awesome!

Quote:
Speaking of cake, my next mission is to try to make a chocolate cake
Now I'd pay big bucks for that recipie!
#277 of 443 Old 02-22-2006, 11:33 AM

Can anyone please explain this to me? I just have a feeling dd is sensitive to apples. (I felt this long before elimination diets etc...) I don't do well w/apples either. However, I cooked some yesterday and tried them w/dd again because pears & bananas are getting old & I worry that too much of those will lead to problems too (?) Well, DD seemed to react to the apples.. Is this because of phenols?
#278 of 443 Old 02-22-2006, 11:50 AM

That would be my guess. If that is the deal, enzymes will help immensely.
#279 of 443 Old 02-22-2006, 02:30 PM

Boy, it's so hard to tell if it's that or not. DD now has some kind of respiratory thing happening (thanks to her big sister) and she's looking and feeling awful.
She takes an overall enzyme we got from our chiro called Chiro-Zyme D-GST. That is what I'm taking as well.
Gosh, how did you all figure all of this out for your dcs?
#280 of 443 Old 02-22-2006, 04:10 PM

Aaaagh! I've heard the whole kefir left spiral yogurt right spiral thing before and I can't remember where now! Something to do with the kefir advocates believing that kefir is superior to yogurt because of that...maybe Dom's site? I'll have to look for it.

I got my hair test results back and using Andy Cutler's counting rules I've got a high probability of mercury toxicity. I qualified for one counting rule, and I'm pretty low on minerals despite eating the best diet I can think of. Selenium and manganese were in the red zone low. So I'm going to get these fillings out, chelate, and see what happens. I'll post my hair test results soon so you can all take a look and tell me what you think.

Does anyone know where I can get DMSA for chelation? I think until I get the mercury out of my body, I'll be battling yeast. We can't do nuts at all right now, DD is reacting to all of them with eczema. Ugh.
#281 of 443 Old 02-22-2006, 04:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toraji
Selenium and manganese were in the red zone low. So I'm going to get these fillings out, chelate, and see what happens. I'll post my hair test results soon so you can all take a look and tell me what you think.
Have you been following this tread over on the Vaccine board, tons of info on selenium and other minerals?

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=406983

Quote:
the key with selenium is that NOT ONLY is it a "turn-off" for viruses, it is the key to good immune function and the excretion of toxic chemicals and metals.

While it protects against the toxic effects of the pollutant cadmium, and mercury from all sources, it also increases the effectiveness of vitamin E, and it reduces the chances of all types of cancer. It is an antioxidant that helps prevent chromosome breakage in tissue culture. In communities where selenium intake is low, the cancer rate is high.

An adequate intake of selenium for animals is 200 parts per billion, and this is probably sufficient for man. But I don't know how to translate that into a dose. So I wouldn't go beyond 200 mcgs. It is however, crucial for the proper functioning of the human body beign a primary promoter of human cells mitosis/meiosis, and human "growth".

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#282 of 443 Old 02-22-2006, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla
I feel like I need more hand holding.

I made zuccini for dinner tonight. I peeled it (right?) but I couldn't figure out any way to deseed it. (they were very small Zuccini).

Also we are off the intro diet. Do we need to stick to the stages from pecan bread or can we just go ahead and eat everything now? Can we eat nuts now? All cooked fruits and veggies for now, right? Amazon still hasn't shipped my book :

I was thrilled that my chiro was so supportive of me doing this diet. He hasn't ever seemed supportive of me doing an anti yeast diet but perhaps he just has so many patients fail at them.

One book I would recomend to everyone here is Dr Schwarzbein's The Program. It is about healing your metabolism. Many of the principles of her book can be applied to scd. Like every meal should contain a carb source and a protein. She is pretty strict about fruit and much prefers whole grains but I think that there is a ton of good info in her books (she is an endocrinologist who started healing her heart disease and type II diabetics with diet/lifestyle changes). Basically looking at the body from a different angle than scd or NT.

Anyhow. I managed to burn the stewed prunes. (made them myself from some unsulpherd prunes I had.) If this doesn't help I may follow those ideas about prune nectar etc. I'm just dying to get the book. I have so many questions!
I think zucchini seeds are so tiny they are okay, especially if they are small seeds and not the big huge ones. My DS is okay on them and that's saying alot! But yes, stay on cooked fruits and veggies for a while, they will be easier to digest and not feed the yeast.

Speaking of zucchini, I made the zucchini noodles from BTVC for the first time last night and they actually didn't taste like zucchini, tasted more noodle-y than spaghetti squash.

You don't have to follow the Pecanbread stages, they are just there for tough cases and sensitive tummies. It's worth it to be aware of it though... the WORST THING is having to backtrack all over again. If you do start nuts, start with nut milk and nut butter though, don't go to flour or whole nuts yet. I make my own nut butter by just whizzing up in food processor. Some nuts, like cashews you need to add little oil to finish and make it smooth.

I've made the Midas Gold pancake recipe on Pecanbread with equal amount of nut butter as the recipe called for flour and they've turned out fine. I like the fine texture that the nut butter gives baked goods.

I've read some of Schwarzbein's stuff a long time ago. Her approach makes sense for diabetes and hypoglycemia, she is very focused on food and insulin reaction.
#283 of 443 Old 02-22-2006, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Can anyone please explain this to me? I just have a feeling dd is sensitive to apples. (I felt this long before elimination diets etc...) I don't do well w/apples either. However, I cooked some yesterday and tried them w/dd again because pears & bananas are getting old & I worry that too much of those will lead to problems too (?) Well, DD seemed to react to the apples.. Is this because of phenols?
I remember also reading that apples have a particular component in them that is hard to digest... the brain is failing.

What kind of reaction?
#284 of 443 Old 02-22-2006, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toraji
Aaaagh! I've heard the whole kefir left spiral yogurt right spiral thing before and I can't remember where now! Something to do with the kefir advocates believing that kefir is superior to yogurt because of that...maybe Dom's site? I'll have to look for it.

I got my hair test results back and using Andy Cutler's counting rules I've got a high probability of mercury toxicity. I qualified for one counting rule, and I'm pretty low on minerals despite eating the best diet I can think of. Selenium and manganese were in the red zone low. So I'm going to get these fillings out, chelate, and see what happens. I'll post my hair test results soon so you can all take a look and tell me what you think.

Does anyone know where I can get DMSA for chelation? I think until I get the mercury out of my body, I'll be battling yeast. We can't do nuts at all right now, DD is reacting to all of them with eczema. Ugh.
I've been doing a lot of thinking about this with respect to DS... it's hard to really figure out which came first: the toxins, the yeast/bacteria or the mineral deficiencies. Because a leaky gut will not break down and absorb the proper nutrients. And some enzymes won't work without proper minerals. Etc. etc.

DMSA sources here at the Autism-Mercury Yahoo group files: http://home.earthlink.net/~moriam/
under "OBTAINING and USING CHELATION AGENTS"

Brazil nuts for selenium, but who knows whether they are grown in selenium rich soil too. The best selenium supplement is selenomethione, it's the yeast free version. Source Naturals is the one I use.

DS is low in manganese too, I have no idea what food sources contain that.
#285 of 443 Old 02-22-2006, 05:48 PM

Quote:
mama_b,
Here's the original link. I just read it through for the first time last week.
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=295112
Thanks.
#286 of 443 Old 02-22-2006, 06:23 PM

Been lurking here for a while now. I've been trying to get rid of a yeast overgrowth for 8 months, my DD is very rashy, and my oldest is on the autism spectrum.

I'm wondering what the time frame for gut healing is?
How long are you staying on this diet?

Rainbow.gif ~ Molly
#287 of 443 Old 02-22-2006, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimim
Been lurking here for a while now. I've been trying to get rid of a yeast overgrowth for 8 months, my DD is very rashy, and my oldest is on the autism spectrum.

I'm wondering what the time frame for gut healing is?
How long are you staying on this diet?

SCD recommends a year on the diet after the last symptom disappears.

I think Karen DeFelice's books www.enzymestuff.com says leaky guts can heal anywhere from 3-18 months (using enzymes and other things too).

It really is so individual.
#288 of 443 Old 02-22-2006, 07:40 PM

I don't have access for one day and can't keep up...

Manganese -- I've read that it is necessary for absorbing magnesium. Magnesium deficiencies are hard to diagnose, but if you are low in manganese, I would suspect it.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#289 of 443 Old 02-22-2006, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaleForce
I don't have access for one day and can't keep up...
Geez, I leave for a couple of hours and can't keep up!

Quote:
I remember also reading that apples have a particular component in them that is hard to digest... the brain is failing.

What kind of reaction?
The red rings around eyes again (no dark circles this time) and WORSE sleeplessness. (As if it could get any worse.)

Some good news though: DD is not constipated anymore and actually had good poopies 3 days in a row!

On to the reason for the post:

I have been taking an illegal prenatal vitamin and know I should change that. Can anyone recommend what to get? Also, do I need anything for dd? (10 months old)
OR . ..
should I wait until our hair tests come back and then do something about supplements?

I just feel like it's time to start thinking about these things too. (If my brain can handle more input that is!)
#290 of 443 Old 02-22-2006, 09:05 PM

Zucchini seeds are easy. Cut the zuc in half long ways and then use your finger to dig it out--just slide up and down the zuc. I do this over the garbage can.

Well, we are getting close to starting the diet We were waiting on our tax return to buy all the stuff to get started. Luckily I already have the progurt starter, so that eliminates a good $45.

I know it is hard, but I was wondering if someone could help me w/an intro list of things to start out w/. Please keep in mind I haven't read BTVC in a couple of months, so feel free to tell me to go back and read it if I'm asking a "dumb" question.

So, I'm thinking we want/need:
*quercetin powder
*enzymes (what is this about, what do you recommend)
*yogurt starter and yogurt maker or acceptable alternative
*probiotics (any good non-dairy ones, I know Primal defense, which is what we use, is illegial)
*the fancy clay, forget the name
*the carbo whatever liquid to go w/the clay
*psyllium husks
*epsom salts

Anything else that is not food that I should buy?? Personally, since we don't do dairy, I'm going to buy that huge container of coconut milk that someone else recommended---the powder w/no guar or soy lec. in it.

Oh, and I don't remember, but are herbs allowed on the diet? As when I was pregnant w/my lil' guy, I didn't do prentals but herbs. I made a strong infusion that I sweetened w/honey. I used: red rasp leaf, nettles, oatstraw, alfalfa, dandelion root, burdock root, chamomille, and red clover.

Oh, should we get tested for metals and such? We're changing doctors, and the new one actually seems to have a clue from what my friends have told me. He understands nutrition. Weird, I know. So if I can get insurance to cover "it" and (what exactly should I ask for), I'd like to do it. I also know that someone somewhere on MDC posted about a place where I could do this w/o a dr's order, but I don't remember where I saw it. Anyone know what I'm talking about???

thanks
Amy
#291 of 443 Old 02-22-2006, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyD
Oh, should we get tested for metals and such? We're changing doctors, and the new one actually seems to have a clue from what my friends have told me. He understands nutrition. Weird, I know. So if I can get insurance to cover "it" and (what exactly should I ask for), I'd like to do it. I also know that someone somewhere on MDC posted about a place where I could do this w/o a dr's order, but I don't remember where I saw it. Anyone know what I'm talking about???
Yes, we had ours done and we sent them to a lab that Jane recommended and now I can't find the link and the name escapes me. It cost $95 per sample. I'm waiting for our results. I think it's DoctorsData.

I had dd's and mine tested because I STUPIDLY had amalgam fillings removed when dd was only 3 months old. This, combined with her symptoms, prompted me to test.

ETA: Going to bed. If any of you pray at all, can I ask you to say a small prayer that dd & I (and the rest of my family) get some sleep tonight?
#292 of 443 Old 02-22-2006, 11:02 PM

So I'm feeling much better today and wondering if I quit the intro diet too quickly. We only did it for about 24 hours. Plus I think I added banana earlier than that cause I was confused. Ugh!

I'm 9dpo today. All this die off can't be good for early in a pg right? Should I keep going and perhaps go back to the intro for a couple more days or what? I'll know soon if I am pg...

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
#293 of 443 Old 02-22-2006, 11:49 PM

I take bentonite clay to get me through die-off. It is a clay that is charged so that it attracts the toxins in the gut and carries them out so you don't feel so yucky. I use pascalite which is a calcium based clay (as opposed to sodium based) that has a ton of trace minerals and is a living clay with healing properties. It helps repair the gut lining as it detoxifies. I'm pregnant now and while I watch the die off and support myself through it I believe that getting it out and growing a baby in a healthy body is more important that waiting until after I give birth to do it. Just my .02.

AmyD-I use houston nutraceuticals for enzymes. We do all three. I'm sure Jane has linked you there. In terms of why to take them you can find that on the site www.enzymestuff.com
Psyllium husks were far to difficult for me to do on this diet...but my damage was pretty significant. Just my words of warning!
#294 of 443 Old 02-22-2006, 11:55 PM

I took my boys to the Pedi GI today. My Celiac for a weight and height check and my oldest to get the CD panel blood lab request forms.
DS1 has constipation issues, making him late for school frequently, he's even been known as a 4 yr old to fall asleep on the toilet but not really funny... As a baby 1 stool every 5-7 days and I was told that was normal, he was on soy formula. I have bf my other babies, but I still don't see 1 stool every week being normal.
The GI doc of course wants to fix this problem for him with medication. I'm not inclined to see this as necessary, however, the theory of the 2 part process is worth consideration. 1) get what's in the colon out and 2) daily therapy. Of course this is a medication induced clean out followed by daily laxative -- not interested in making my kid dependent on prescription medications for life. I want the problem solved at the cause not just cover the symptoms. The cause may very well be CD at which point I would assume the GF diet would fix most of this (maybe). On the other hand, the GF diet is constipative for some... so it's hard to say. [blood work will be drawn next week sometime]
So, any suggestions to solving this constipative problem from a causal perspective are welcome as well as herbal treatments for the symptoms. I have to admit I've been a bit laid back about forcing him to eat the good stuff. I do not agree that kids should be forced to eat, however, there are times here lately that I'm really having to do via coaxing this for the health and well being of them, especially my CD child. I bribe my ds2 with raspberries If he eats is meat (veggies are not an issue), he can have the raspberries -- who bribes their kid with fruit???
Anyway, 2 children, 2 different issues -- 1 eats hardly any fruit or veggies and the other hardly eats anything but...
#295 of 443 Old 02-23-2006, 12:05 AM

Quick thought here...re-establishing good gut function and flora will solve the constipation problem. It's likely just a result of the damage. Could be bacterial overgrowth or infection, but the diet would help with that to some extent. We had the same issues...ds went 19 days (only once) without a bm. It was terrifying. We did craniosacral therapy to get bowels moving along with homeopathy and dietary changes. We no longer have an issue. There are complications that you may be looking at (encopresis-but I think you'd know that by now?) that would require further efforts on your part. And yes, there are plenty of natural things you can do, but I'd have to know more before I suggested anything. One thing you can try off the bat is castor oil packs on his belly to help with the inflammation. Very comforting and effective.
It will be much easier for you if both kiddos are on the diet together. Then you don't have to think about their different and separate needs. Let me know if I can offer anything else.
#296 of 443 Old 02-23-2006, 12:30 AM

I don't know if this has been done before, I am sure it has but for some of you senior SC Dieters, could you give me some menu ideas. I know everyone is different with their issues and what you can and can't have but just an idea would be great to get started. I can't find the proper dairy for this diet though I am in the process of making my first batch of yoghurt (YAY). The only other dairy I guess that would be suitable would be goat cheese since I can get it (but it isn't raw). I just don't want to do cow's dairy right now.

So what are your favorite meal while doing this diet???

Also since my only issues are really leaky gut/candida/poor absorption of nutrients/food sensativies... what suppliments are important for me to be taking??
#297 of 443 Old 02-23-2006, 02:24 AM

AmyD, those things you listed, most of them are not SCD-specific, except the yogurt starter and maker. Psyllium husks are actually illegal on SCD, not sure about all the herbs but nettles and burdock root definitely are. See: http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.i...llegal_d-n.htm
http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.i...llegal_a-c.htm

I so wish we could afford the hair test, but we're on a tight budget, and all the money we spend on SCD food leaves us with next to nothing for anything besides rent and utilities. I so hate being poor!

Here's a link to an SCD meal planning thread: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...53#post4659253

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#298 of 443 Old 02-23-2006, 10:15 AM

I have yogurt! It's pretty good too.

How long will it last in the fridge?
#299 of 443 Old 02-23-2006, 10:25 AM

Hello everyone. I have not read all of the thread yet, lol, but I wanted to post anyway. I posted a thread in H&H about my 3 yo being very aggressive. There are other things though. I have suffered from canker sores and periodontal disease. My kids have cradle cap and eczema spots. I have rosacea and highly sensitive skin, and also a perpetual vaginal yeast infection that won't go away.

Our nutrition has been horrible, and I have always wanted to eat and feed my kids better, we fall back into our old crappy eating habits. I really want to cure us and to have my 3 yo happy again (he is for the most part, but it is like a switch goes off and it is getting worse the older he gets.) I just feel so bad that this has been going on for so long and that I am the one that caused it all due to what I feed my kids

Where do I start? It seems so expensive...feingold program, minerals, oils, etc. I do not have access to a Naturopath, so I need to know which diet to do. My kids are not going to like this at all. My dd will eat veggies but my ds' run away from anything healthy.

I am also on my own right now, is there an easy way to prepare the meals? Any place I can get recipes, meal plans, lists of foods to have on-hand?

Thanks!

Emily SAHM to four unschoolers Olivia (9), Brian (7), Jack (6), and Liam (5)
#300 of 443 Old 02-23-2006, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery
Quick thought here...re-establishing good gut function and flora will solve the constipation problem. .....
It will be much easier for you if both kiddos are on the diet together. Then you don't have to think about their different and separate needs. Let me know if I can offer anything else.
Thanks for the response and the fact I found it I haven't put all the kiddos on the GF diet b/c the mistake made with ds2 was that he took him off, healed his gut and now in order to get a clean clear medical dx of CD, he would have to eat wheat for 3mo followed by a biopsy -- um, no, not at this point... So, I have been keeping the oldest on wheat waiting for the appt for him, which is now done, followed by the lab draw, which will be done this week, followed by those results, which will be at least 3 wks from now, followed by a biopsy if the blood test indicate the need.

Regardless of the blood test and biopsy if we end up going that far, ds1 will be on the GF diet (last least for the summer b/c of our home being almost 100% GF). My dd is almost 100%GF due to eating what her brother (ds2) eats, and while I'd like to just make her GF as well, I'd also like lab test done to see if my suspicions are right.

Time... it all takes time... And trust me every day I give my oldest gluten, I cringe b/c I want him GF so badly.

At least dinner is the same for everybody -- GF. (with a very few limited exceptions)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page