Healing the Gut Tribe ~ February - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 443 Old 02-23-2006, 11:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I understand. I refused to keep my kiddos on gluten. They tested positive on a blood test for all gluten containing grains even after being off gluten for awhile. The gold standard is the biopsy while on a gluten containing diet, but I couldn't do it. You are strong. I went for the genetic test instead which you don't need to be consuming gluten at all. It just tells you if you are genetically at risk. Since they are (and I have all the symptoms as well, as does my mother and my grandfather) our doc just diagnosed us. We're really lucky to have her. She also gave ds a medical exemption for vax's due to an egg allergy. I love her!
#302 of 443 Old 02-23-2006, 11:15 AM

AmyD, there are pleny of things we used that weren't SCD specific that really helped us. I would just caution against (as I already have ) psyllium husks.
#303 of 443 Old 02-23-2006, 11:19 AM

My dd who normally wakes after at most 2.5 hours of sleep to nurse the rest of the night slept for 5 hours straight last night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND I was asleep for 3 of them!!!!!! AND when I woke up this morning she was asleep beside me and not latched on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND she is still asleep in bed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but now she is up.

bbl

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
#304 of 443 Old 02-23-2006, 11:23 AM

Emmama, you'll fit right in here! And trust me, the food is really good and doesn't taste "healthy" or "deprivation-y" My kiddos really love the food. There are a BILLION free sites with great recipes. I want to say www.scdiet.com is one. Just google specific carbohydrate diet and you will come up with a bunch. Also, get the book. IT's pretty inexpensive, and most libraries have it.
I was not personally helped by an ND though some find their testing to be helpful. This is a great diet that really addresses the root cause of the problem, unlike the Feingold Diet which just eliminates problem foods and additives. It really isn't expensive at all unless you opt for additional supplements which aren't even really recommended. Making yogurt for your probiotic is easy and cheap. Vitamins aren't terribly pricy. Everything else is just additional help. I really think from reading your posts that enzymes would be helpful in your case, but you can read more and evaluate as needed. Good Luck! It's alot easier to do it with these fabulous mamas behind you...and it's totally worth it for a happier dc.
#305 of 443 Old 02-23-2006, 11:25 AM

On the question about apples....

apples are high in phenols. Our son takes one no phenol pill with every meal and one with martinelli's apple cider. Houston's no phenol enzyme is supposed to be coming out in a chewable form soon. Until then, those who have children who can't swallow a pill are opening up the no phenol capsule and mixing it with peanut butter or yogurt or something.

Which brings me to another question. My son self restricts his diet and his only fruit source is apple cider. I just read the label and it says one lg. bottle of Martinelli's contains 93g of sugars. Now, he doesn't usually drink the bottle all in one sitting, but, if this is his only source of sugar and his only source of fruit, how would I determine how much of this is alright to have and how often? Could I still consider him low sugar if he drank 62g of sugar in his apple cider every two days? Will drinking this stuff prevent Candex and other yeast fighters from working? He weighs 152 lbs.
#306 of 443 Old 02-23-2006, 11:30 AM

tell me more about the clay. Where can I get it? What do I look for? How do I take it?

our family is <>< and :
#307 of 443 Old 02-23-2006, 11:31 AM

In theory, because it's a monosaccharide it doesn't sit around to help the yeast grow...it's absorbed straight away.
That said, it is lacking in fiber. Can you hide fruit elsewhere? Muffins, pancakes, breads, cobblers? Will he eat applesauce? Have you tried smoothies? It is important to get a variety for the nutrients. He may start to change after a bit longer on the diet...
#308 of 443 Old 02-23-2006, 11:37 AM

Google Pascalite for some good info. It's about $10 for a pound and we use it CONSTANTLY. We brush our teeth with it (helps with remineralization) we take it as a supplement, use it in sickness (diarrhea/constipation), as a facial mask, to draw out toxins after a bee sting or insect bite...it's incredible. You would take about 1/4 tsp. two or three times a day for the die-off.
#309 of 443 Old 02-23-2006, 11:52 AM

Is the jars of applesauce I buy that has just apples legal? No apple juice concentrate, just apples.

our family is <>< and :
#310 of 443 Old 02-23-2006, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originallly Posted by Emmama
I am also on my own right now, is there an easy way to prepare the meals? Any place I can get recipes, meal plans, lists of foods to have on-hand?
Tons of recipies here:
http://www.scdiet.org/2recipes/

Legal/Illegal food list:
http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.i...llegal_a-c.htm
#311 of 443 Old 02-23-2006, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Quote:
Pattyla
My dd who normally wakes after at most 2.5 hours of sleep to nurse the rest of the night slept for 5 hours straight last night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND I was asleep for 3 of them!!!!!! AND when I woke up this morning she was asleep beside me and not latched on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND she is still asleep in bed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but now she is up.

bbl
Yay! (But I'm so envious! )
#312 of 443 Old 02-23-2006, 03:01 PM

The GI doc we saw yesterday said apple sauce can contribute to constipation, the pectin specifically. I asked 'even all natural, just apples?' I don't think he knows anything about that b/c he said it is the pectin. If I mash apples up partly cooked and call it apple sauce -- I don't think that is going to contribute to constipation
Someone can clarify if I'm wrong and that some chemical reaction occurs during the heating process...
There is so much here it's hard to keep up. Sometime maybe there should be a forum called Healing the Gut within the Health section and then these questions can all be separated out in a format easy to find and follow...

Question -- Should I check Zinc on the lab reports to have it checked? The doc specifically running down the list said, no we don't need that... He made a copy of the form, so if I check it, it might sound off some alarms, but if he needs it done -- I'll deal with the maybe it might red flag later. This is my ds1 with constipation and possible CD based on ds2 having it.
#313 of 443 Old 02-23-2006, 03:14 PM

You mamas are wonderful! Thanks for the help!

uccomama: I have indeed been following that thread...it is so amazing and overwhelming. I am digesting it bit by bit.

JaneS: PERFECT! That is exactly what I was looking for. I have an appt with a local dentist on Tuesday for an eval and will soon have these metal nasties out of my mouth. Then I can start chelating.

OK so I was wrong about my selenium being that low...though it was one of the elements pulled out to discuss in my patient report so that would explain why I thought I was so bad off. I posted my hair test results to my Flickr account here: http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...3476515&size=o
use this link if the above does not work: http://static.flickr.com/29/103476515_f0e7be69df_o.gif
I am red-zone low in manganese, lithium, cobalt, and zirconium.
Most are in the yellow zone or green zone low side.
I just went to the HFS and got a 200 mcg selenium that is yeast based as it was the only one they had. I got a bit freaked out so wanted to get one as soon as possible.
#314 of 443 Old 02-23-2006, 03:43 PM

toraji,

With those low mineral levels and a relatively high mineral diet you have been on, have you revisited some of the basics on digestion? Hydrochloric acid? Ezymes? And you're on this thread so obviously gut issues are on your mind.

That lithium result surprises me. How much do you eat in the way of animal products? Lithium is fairly abundant in eggs and milk.

What does the lab say about the iodine? Is hair a good indicator? How's your thyroid?

Based on my own experiences and crises, I wonder to what degree it is possible through diet alone to remedy major mineral deficiencies. I've been on a good diet for three years now and am still low in magnesium. I should have supplemented in the beginning but thought I'd be fine with food sources.

Amanda

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#315 of 443 Old 02-23-2006, 06:19 PM

Just thought I'd post this list of places to find recipies. I found it on another board & wanted to share:

SCD Taste and Tradition = cookbook by Rochel Weiss www.digestivewellness.com
Lucy's Specific Carbohydrate Diet = cookbook by Lucy Rosset
www.Lucyskitchenshop.com
Breaking the Vicious Cycle by Elaine Gottschall
www.SCDrecipes.com
www.SCDiet.org
www.pecanbread.com
www.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCDrecipes
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/pecanbread
#316 of 443 Old 02-23-2006, 06:25 PM

Electra375: The docs not wrong...apples can be constipating whether raw or cooked. You'd think that the amount of fiber would change that, but it doesn't for everyone. If you suspect that it's a problem try eliminating them and see what happens.
Zinc is necessary for tissue repair and growth...essential for those with a damaged gut. It's pretty easy to check yourself...it's one of the minerals that you can taste if you aren't deficient. In other words,if you put liquid zinc in your mouth and don't taste metal, you need it. I would say (IMO) if you're getting a bunch of tests already and wil have the blood available, why not? If you aren't okay with asking the doc to add it though, you can find out for yourself. Just be careful.. Overdosing on zinc is BAD. A healthy adult can take 25-30 mg a day, I never give my kids more than 10-15, and that's if they're sick. Normally I just do 5 mg a day for them.

Amanda: that's a good question. I think part of it depends of the severity of damage. Even though my gut is healing I still have significant problems with absorption. It certainly hasn't been years for me, but I think it will take quite some time to build up stores. Especially since any I had were long gone...I had all of my severe symptoms for over a decade. For me I believe it will be very important to supplement to get everything I can to heal (cause you can't without them!) Once I am "back" and my stores are up I hope to be able to get the vast majority through diet. Magnesium is one I worry about. It seems very difficult to get an adequate amount in diet alone.
#317 of 443 Old 02-23-2006, 06:28 PM

The correct link above should be http://www.scdrecipe.com/
#318 of 443 Old 02-23-2006, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate
The red rings around eyes again (no dark circles this time) and WORSE sleeplessness. (As if it could get any worse.)

Some good news though: DD is not constipated anymore and actually had good poopies 3 days in a row!

On to the reason for the post:

I have been taking an illegal prenatal vitamin and know I should change that. Can anyone recommend what to get? Also, do I need anything for dd? (10 months old)
OR . ..
should I wait until our hair tests come back and then do something about supplements?

I just feel like it's time to start thinking about these things too. (If my brain can handle more input that is!)
She should be on the upswing... that is what usually happens with my DS. If the poop comes out good, then I know the next day will be better!

Red rings were signs of die off in my DS.

I would concentrate on you as far as supplementing vit/minerals and then your BM will be excellent. Are you taking CLO?

There are legal vitamins listed at Pecanbread.com but honestly I'm getting down on a multi lately. I think minerals and certain forms of vitamins A, D & C. A & D from cod liver oil, I like Carlson's naturals pills. The C in a natural powder including bioflavonoids or taking sodium ascorbate balanced with extra bioflav. when sick. The multi's always seem to have something I don't want, filler or a version of a vitamin I don't want to take. Makes life difficult
#319 of 443 Old 02-23-2006, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyD
So, I'm thinking we want/need:
*quercetin powder
*enzymes (what is this about, what do you recommend)
*yogurt starter and yogurt maker or acceptable alternative
*probiotics (any good non-dairy ones, I know Primal defense, which is what we use, is illegial)
*the fancy clay, forget the name
*the carbo whatever liquid to go w/the clay
*psyllium husks
*epsom salts

Anything else that is not food that I should buy?? Personally, since we don't do dairy, I'm going to buy that huge container of coconut milk that someone else recommended---the powder w/no guar or soy lec. in it.

Oh, and I don't remember, but are herbs allowed on the diet? As when I was pregnant w/my lil' guy, I didn't do prentals but herbs. I made a strong infusion that I sweetened w/honey. I used: red rasp leaf, nettles, oatstraw, alfalfa, dandelion root, burdock root, chamomille, and red clover.

Oh, should we get tested for metals and such? We're changing doctors, and the new one actually seems to have a clue from what my friends have told me. He understands nutrition. Weird, I know. So if I can get insurance to cover "it" and (what exactly should I ask for), I'd like to do it. I also know that someone somewhere on MDC posted about a place where I could do this w/o a dr's order, but I don't remember where I saw it. Anyone know what I'm talking about???

thanks
Amy
The only non dairy acidophilus capsule I know of is from Kirkman's.

I don't use my yogurt maker anymore, I use the oven method and love it. I posted my procedure several pages ago this month if you wouldn't mind searching... the Search function is kaput lately!

Enzymes www.enzymestuff.com and another post to you to read her book! More on epsom salts on her website too, they are in any grocery or drug store.

Re: epsom salts
I looked this up again... I think my DS's issues with e.s. is the sulfur. He is already high in sulfur. Sulfur is excellent for detox, but to someone who is already high, it's a problem to supplement.

I really like Houston's enzymes: www.houstonni.com
  • Zyme Prime is the all around for carbs, fats, proteins.
  • Peptizyde is high proteases for gluten/dairy proteins and when given between meals mops up yeast die off and bacterial issues, also inflammation, migraines, many other auto immune conditions.
  • No Fenol is high cellulase for phenolic fruits/veggies given with food and for combating yeast given between meals.

I think the clay/psyllium/caprilyic acid combo you are thinking about is from www.wholeapproach.com. They have an entire candida program and diet. I did the combo for a month, while eating grains mind you, it was okay I guess, don't remember it being so fabulous that I wanted to continue. The SCD worked so much better.

Cod liver oil is essential in my mind too. Nordic Naturals is the most palatable but I supplement with extra A & D from Carlson's natural pills when we use it.
#320 of 443 Old 02-23-2006, 06:50 PM

Enzymedica enzymes are very good too: www.enzymedica.com

V-gest is the all around that is low in proteases, very good to start a sensitive person on. Digest and Digest Gold are all arounds that are stronger.

Virastop is their high protease enzyme. There is an interesting trial going on now using high amounts to kill off stored viruses in the body at Enzymes and Autism Yahoo group.

Candidase is a mix of cellulase and proteases designed to be given between meals to combat yeast.
#321 of 443 Old 02-23-2006, 06:56 PM

Fat Wallet has a VIP link to Vitamin Shoppe website where you can get 40% off, less than their usual prices:

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/mess...hreadid=264417

See link to Vitamin Shoppe in the first post by "fivetalents" and then below for codes to get extra money off.

You can get Carlsons, Nordic Naturals, Enzymedica, my favorite Shikai shower gels...
#322 of 443 Old 02-23-2006, 08:50 PM

No kidding it is a high amount of virastop! We started the antiviral protocol before we realized that the aut & merc group are giving up to 20 capsules of virastop a day! We already invested about $150 in various antiviral supplements, then $40 for one bottle of Virastop. If we slowly up the dosage to 18 or 20 virastop a day, it will cost $570 dollars (from iherb) to do a three month trial. They do these "trials" occasionally whenever they suspect viral issues. This is a lot based on observing symptoms. I have a call into enzymatica to get a price break. I'll let you know how that goes....
#323 of 443 Old 02-23-2006, 08:57 PM

Quote:
That said, it is lacking in fiber. Can you hide fruit elsewhere? Muffins, pancakes, breads, cobblers? Will he eat applesauce?
He may do fruits hidden in muffins or breads. That is a great idea! I need to hide fruit in breads, like applesause. I think there already is applesause in our kinnikinick bread, which he eats. So, there is a source I forgot about. He may do cobblers, (but aren't those made with sugar?). He will not do pancakes or applesause.
#324 of 443 Old 02-23-2006, 09:00 PM

I give ds psyllium husk capsule (one a day) for fiber....I started it when the d-lactate probiotics gave him diarrea....and the magnesium supplement gave him diarrea. I thought that getting magnesium was important, so I would firm up the stools with psyllium to get away with giving more magnesium.:

It worked
#325 of 443 Old 02-23-2006, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
Red rings were signs of die off in my DS.

I would concentrate on you as far as supplementing vit/minerals and then your BM will be excellent. Are you taking CLO?
How long will die off last?

Can I get clo at a hfs? Does it have to be a special kind?
#326 of 443 Old 02-23-2006, 09:01 PM

Not if they're done the SCD way! You can adapt almost any recipe. Just use almond flour, honey and butter for the topping. You can do a blackberry cobbler, peach, strawberry, whatever strikes his (or your!) fancy.
#327 of 443 Old 02-23-2006, 09:04 PM

Magnesium is important, but loose stools are the body's way of saying "that's enough." It's like vitamin C. Once you see diarrhea, you back off on the dosage. If 1 tsp. is giving him stools that are too loose, cut back to 1/2 a tsp. Make sense?
#328 of 443 Old 02-23-2006, 09:10 PM

Yeah, makes sense. I'll stop the psyllium husks and I'll bet he's used to the mag. by now. We ran out of mag yesterday anyway. It will be Monday before I can get more mag.
#329 of 443 Old 02-23-2006, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate
I have yogurt! It's pretty good too.

How long will it last in the fridge?

Two weeks I think that is how long the bacteria stay as strong. Won't go bad in 3 weeks, but won't have as many critters.
#330 of 443 Old 02-23-2006, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmama
Hello everyone. I have not read all of the thread yet, lol, but I wanted to post anyway. I posted a thread in H&H about my 3 yo being very aggressive. There are other things though. I have suffered from canker sores and periodontal disease. My kids have cradle cap and eczema spots. I have rosacea and highly sensitive skin, and also a perpetual vaginal yeast infection that won't go away.

Our nutrition has been horrible, and I have always wanted to eat and feed my kids better, we fall back into our old crappy eating habits. I really want to cure us and to have my 3 yo happy again (he is for the most part, but it is like a switch goes off and it is getting worse the older he gets.) I just feel so bad that this has been going on for so long and that I am the one that caused it all due to what I feed my kids

Where do I start? It seems so expensive...feingold program, minerals, oils, etc. I do not have access to a Naturopath, so I need to know which diet to do. My kids are not going to like this at all. My dd will eat veggies but my ds' run away from anything healthy.

I am also on my own right now, is there an easy way to prepare the meals? Any place I can get recipes, meal plans, lists of foods to have on-hand?

Thanks!
It must be so hard being a military mama right now, my heart really goes out to you and your family.

Don't beat yourself up re: food. All of us, me especially, have many things we've done in the past that we want to whack ourselves over the head for! You're here now, so use those feelings to learn.

I think the first thing you can do is start eating whole foods, no packaged foods. It is hard, and yes your kids are doing to have some adjusting to do. But there certainly are a lot of yummy nutritious and easy things you can start the transition with.

Diet and behavior are definately connected. Spend some time reading at the Weston Price foundation for nutritional advice, it's an eye opener.
http://www.westonaprice.org/traditio...ry_wisdom.html

First, I think the easiest cheapest thing you can do is start making 24 hr. yogurt. I posted several pages back my oven method, you don't need a maker. You will get the strongest probiotics so you won't need to buy capsules. Experiment with yogurt smoothies for the kids with frozen fruit in blender (really easy). Peaches, orange juice and a banana. Cherries or strawberries and vanilla extract. They come out like ice cream smoothies. Call them that and the kids will sure to be interested!

If you are not ready to do the SCD, perhaps you can try to make some steps towards whole foods that are easier to digest. Such as ditching the packaged dry cereals and doing soaked oatmeal instead or nut butter pancakes. The banana pancakes on www.pecanbread.com are very yummy, I can't imagine a kid that wouldn't eat those.

You can add all sorts of things to oatmeal: apples and cinnamon, pineapple and coconut cream, blueberries/nutmeg/vanilla, peaches/vanilla. Honey is much better for the body than sugar because it's a whole food unlike white sugar, plus it won't feed the intestinal imbalances.

And if your DS won't eat carrots for example, make baby carrots with honey and butter and salt perhaps. Make a concession with adding honey to get him to like whole foods at first. Sneak pureed veggies or avocado into your meatloaf or meatball recipe. Muffins are another way to add pureed butternut squash for example.

Then make a list of things to try one at a time when you are ready: such as cod liver oil, magnesium, enzymes.

Keep reading and learning. It takes a while, there's nothing wrong with baby steps!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page