Healing the Gut Tribe ~ February - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#361 of 443 Old 02-24-2006, 04:45 PM
 
JaneS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 9,114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibou
Thanks JaneS for your response. I had a look at the enzyme site, and from what I can tell, what we are dealing with now is an allergy. The reaction is bright red cheeks and spots on his body. It is almost immediate, whereas the problem with dairy used to take several days to manifest itself as eczema. His poop is pretty normal. But come to think of it, his skin has been dry and itchy lately so that could indicate gut issues. Obviously there is a problem with his immune response, but I'm confused and not sure where to start. If we work on healing the gut, will that heal the allergic response? I'm going to read more on the enzyme site. Feeling really overwhelmed.
I know!!! It is difficult and overwhelming and frustrating.

And...you of all people already have like the best diet on the planet!

I think it will heal the allergic response, especially if this is something new you are noticing. There are many things that are interrelated too, such as fatty acids do keep the lining of the intestines intact.

And not to make you even more distressed ... but I wonder if kids like ours will always have to go the extra mile with respect to "gut healing" and massive amounts of probiotics and nutrients for the rest of their lives. (Not that that isn't good for everyone but, ykwim?)

Because their initial gut flora just wasn't up to par and their immune system is geared to being on alert or yeast/bacteria is always there waiting to grow again.
JaneS is offline  
#362 of 443 Old 02-24-2006, 05:12 PM
 
JaneS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 9,114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Time to post one of my favorite articles since several here mentioned they are TTC. And Firefaery is expecting

"Just One Bottle Won't Hurt"-- or Will It?
Marsha Walker, RN, IBCLC
http://www.massbfc.org/formula/bottle.html

Quote:
major ecological disturbances are observed in newborn infants treated with antimicrobial agents ...


when formula supplements are given to breastfed babies during the first seven days of life, the production of a strongly acidic environment is delayed and its full potential may never be reached ...

The neonatal GI tract undergoes rapid growth and maturational change following birth

Infants have a functionally immature and immunonaive gut at birth

Tight junctions of the GI mucosa take many weeks to mature and close the gut to whole proteins and pathogens

Intestinal permeability decreases faster in breastfed babies than in formula-fed infants (Catassi, et al, 1995)

Open junctions and immaturity play a role in the acquisition of NEC, diarrheal disease, and allergy

sIgA from colostrum and breast milk coats the gut, passively providing immunity during the time of reduced neonatal gut immune function ...


infant formula should not be given to a breastfed baby before gut closure occurs

once dietary supplementation begins, the bacterial profile of breastfed infants resembles that of formula-fed infants in which bifidobacteria are no longer dominant and the development of obligate anaerobic bacterial populations occurs (Mackie, Sghir, Gaskins, 1999)

relatively small amounts of formula supplementation of breastfed infants (one supplement per 24 hours) will result in shifts from a breastfed to a formula-fed gut flora pattern (Bullen, Tearle, Stewart, 1977) ...

in susceptible families, breastfed babies can be sensitized to cow's milk protein by the giving of just one bottle, (inadvertent supplementation, unnecessary supplementation, or planned supplements), in the newborn nursery during the first three days of life (Host, Husby, Osterballe, 1988; Host, 1991)
Forced supplementing of formula while in hospital (high hemotocrit level due to DS being 2 weeks late and 40 hr. labor).

Coupled with antibiotics given to me thru IV without my permission because my OB had to clean out my uterus manually due to extensive bleeding and clotting (probably the damned pitocin).

Plus damaged gut mama.

Equals my DS's gut
JaneS is offline  
#363 of 443 Old 02-24-2006, 05:21 PM
 
PumpkinSeeds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Mosquitoville
Posts: 3,801
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need to go back and read this entire thread (and the previous ones too)

But, I have been giving my very dairy allergic son (4.5yo) rejuvelac for the last few days. He has been drinking about 3 x 8 oz of it and yesterday for the first time in a long while he had a normal poop.

He tends to get chronic sloppy stools. We are strict about him not eating anything he is allergic to and he does have some oral aversion/SID issues that make it particulary difficult to get him to eat.

I want to increase the amount of fat in his diet, and I need to go back and find that coconut milk yogurt recipe..
PumpkinSeeds is offline  
#364 of 443 Old 02-24-2006, 06:38 PM
 
ShannonCC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 4,736
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi! I'm mostly posting just to sub This thread is very intimidating,

I see most of you are dealing with babies and my problem is mostly me, so I hope it's ok to post here. If it counts, my kids seem to have problems too, yay! All in the family

I have an allergy to dairy and an intolerance to soy and, apparently, garlic. Suddenly, in the past few months, all the issues have gotten much worse. It's now to the point that if I eat dairy, my hands are cracked and bleeding within hours. I had some chips that had whey flavoring (by mistake : ) last Sunday and while my hands are largely better, there's still some red and a few scabs left. I had some chinese food last week and was in the most intense pain from the gas all night long (I couldn't even lay down without being in pain until 6:30 am - on the plus side, I was mostly ok as long as I stayed upright so I got to re-read a good book without interruptions, and then dh took the day off work so I could sleep).

Anyway, I don't understand why everything has suddenly gotten worse. If it was just one of the food issues I'd say I had lost my tolerance to it or something, but it's all at once (had some garlic without thinking yesterday at lunch and was not a happy camper for the rest of the day).

I feel great as long as I avoid soy, dairy and garlic, so I'm making a HUGE effort right now (the Chinese incident scared me) but I wonder what else is going on underneath all this?

And why do things like this run in families? My dd also gets rashes from dairy and my cousin cleared up her really bad acne by cutting dairy out of her diet (her mother, who has excema like me, hasn't taken the plunge yet so I can't say anything about her). We've also got more than a few lactose intolerant people on that side of the family (including me). I'm pretty sure it's all related. Maybe we're just a family that shouldn't have dairy.
ShannonCC is offline  
#365 of 443 Old 02-24-2006, 08:06 PM
 
Panserbjorne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: The Great North
Posts: 12,080
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks Jane! Great read. Just another reason I have my babies at home. I had major supply issues, and thak god I had friends who helped me nurse dd so she never had formula. At least we avoided that! Unfortunately ds wasn't so lucky and had formula because again, the milk just didn't come in and I didn't have a support system at that point. Both kids were grown in a mama with a leaky gut though-so neither escaped. Sigh.

ShannonCC, glad you're posting. You'll find that alot of us here are healing ourselves. You are in good company.
Panserbjorne is offline  
#366 of 443 Old 02-24-2006, 09:54 PM
 
Annikate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: FL
Posts: 4,841
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone know why this multi has a "not to be used by pregnant or nursing women" warning at the bottom?
http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/e...questid=367906

Oh, forget it. I just saw it has sucralose and that's illegal right?
Annikate is offline  
#367 of 443 Old 02-25-2006, 12:01 AM
 
JaneS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 9,114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate
Does anyone know why this multi has a "not to be used by pregnant or nursing women" warning at the bottom?
http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/e...questid=367906

Oh, forget it. I just saw it has sucralose and that's illegal right?
Yes I think sucralose is Splenda?

Probably the warning b/c of the 10,000 IU vitamin A

It's likely chemical vitamin A anyways which is crap and can be toxic in high amounts in pg.
JaneS is offline  
#368 of 443 Old 02-25-2006, 12:02 AM
 
JaneS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 9,114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpkinSeeds
I need to go back and read this entire thread (and the previous ones too)

But, I have been giving my very dairy allergic son (4.5yo) rejuvelac for the last few days. He has been drinking about 3 x 8 oz of it and yesterday for the first time in a long while he had a normal poop.

He tends to get chronic sloppy stools. We are strict about him not eating anything he is allergic to and he does have some oral aversion/SID issues that make it particulary difficult to get him to eat.

I want to increase the amount of fat in his diet, and I need to go back and find that coconut milk yogurt recipe..
Cool! did you make it yourself? It's supposed to have good sugar digesting bacteria in it.

I think www.Pecanbread.com has a non dairy yogurt recipe?
JaneS is offline  
#369 of 443 Old 02-25-2006, 12:13 AM
 
JaneS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 9,114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonCC
Hi! I'm mostly posting just to sub This thread is very intimidating,
I know, I know! What can we do, we are sooo popular.
I'm working on a cheat sheet for next month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonCC
I see most of you are dealing with babies and my problem is mostly me, so I hope it's ok to post here. If it counts, my kids seem to have problems too, yay! All in the family
Absolutely! If you notice it's rarely just the babe with issues, usually it's both of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonCC
I have an allergy to dairy and an intolerance to soy and, apparently, garlic. Suddenly, in the past few months, all the issues have gotten much worse....

I feel great as long as I avoid soy, dairy and garlic, so I'm making a HUGE effort right now (the Chinese incident scared me) but I wonder what else is going on underneath all this?

And why do things like this run in families? My dd also gets rashes from dairy and my cousin cleared up her really bad acne by cutting dairy out of her diet (her mother, who has excema like me, hasn't taken the plunge yet so I can't say anything about her). We've also got more than a few lactose intolerant people on that side of the family (including me). I'm pretty sure it's all related. Maybe we're just a family that shouldn't have dairy.
It could just be time marching on or new intolerances you haven't figured out yet why things are getting worse. If it's intestinal flora related, and I believe all things like this are, it will likely only get worse the longer it goes on.

It could be your family history, but also all mama's pass on their intestinal flora to their babes, so if it's not up to par, their babes inhereit it.

RE: acne and dairy
There's so many hormones and antibiotics in regular dairy too... not to mention that pasteurized dairy is very hard to digest.

The fact that you are seeing these issues appear all over your family tree could not necessarily mean a genetic basis... personally I feel most everyone's digestion is horrible in this fast food nation, we just don't talk about it!! (How many ads do we see a day for GasX or Pepto Bismol or Mylanta. Poor digestion is a billion dollar market.)
JaneS is offline  
#370 of 443 Old 02-25-2006, 12:17 AM
 
Kundalini-Mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: LOVING LIFE and oh, so thankful!!!
Posts: 2,772
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
oh man oh man oh man, *I* am so cool

Tired of my coconut yogurt system in the yogurt maker where the top has to be balanced, precariously, on two wood toys ( ) in order to keep the yogurt below 115 or so, I and the power drill took matters into my own hands.

I drilled a whole bunch of holes in the top of my plastic cover And, now I can easily insert thermometer into any of the jars and see what is going on. The highest I have gotten has been 111 degrees

Oh coconut yogurt is so simple. Follow any other yogurt directions, only subbing coconut milk for the milk. I use progurt starter, which was incredibly expensive, but free of dairy & soy and other stuff. It also will last forever. That's it. No need to search
Kundalini-Mama is offline  
#371 of 443 Old 02-25-2006, 01:25 AM
 
Pattyla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,540
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
"Just One Bottle Won't Hurt"-- or Will It?
I have read that before and it always makes me cry. I was forced to give dd bottles of formula untill my milk came in. (luckily on the morning of day 4). It is a long ugly story but my 9 1/2 lb baby wound up in the nicu for 4 days, apparently to spite me since I had her unmedicated and we think also because it appeared that I was a h/b transfer. (Somehow my ped knew we were a failed h/b and I never told him so I figure the hospital did even though we never told them either.) So she was in the nicu on iv abx and bottles of formula instead of in my arms getting colostrum to seal up her gut. I knew what harm it could be doing to her but I was threatened that they would keep her longer if I didn't give her formula and since I already knew they were lying about her health I just had to get her out of there and home (plus one sadistic n/p kept running test after test on her cause she wasn't peeing enough to please her : )

Sigh

I think detox has hit dd. She has been a wreck all day. I also think that the suppliments my chiro gave me have helped a ton since I forgot to take them untill about noon and wasn't a very nice mommy this morning but once I took them I felt like a new person.

I think I just ordered some of that clay. I also am pretty sure I'm not pg this cycle. Probably a good thing but after 6 months of ttc I don't want to wait. plus now we are getting into the conundrum of do we ttc for a holiday season due date or not.

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
Pattyla is offline  
#372 of 443 Old 02-25-2006, 04:15 AM
 
PumpkinSeeds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Mosquitoville
Posts: 3,801
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks! I'm going to the health food store to find coconut milk with no preservatives.



Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyD
Oh coconut yogurt is so simple. Follow any other yogurt directions, only subbing coconut milk for the milk. I use progurt starter, which was incredibly expensive, but free of dairy & soy and other stuff. It also will last forever. That's it. No need to search
PumpkinSeeds is offline  
#373 of 443 Old 02-25-2006, 04:20 AM
 
PumpkinSeeds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Mosquitoville
Posts: 3,801
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes, I make it myself, and my son calls it his special juice. I am drinking beet kvass myself, but he smelled it and wasn't interested. I want to try the coconut yogurt. Fat and bacteria all in one go, sounds good to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
Cool! did you make it yourself? It's supposed to have good sugar digesting bacteria in it.

I think www.Pecanbread.com has a non dairy yogurt recipe?
PumpkinSeeds is offline  
#374 of 443 Old 02-25-2006, 04:22 AM - Thread Starter
 
mlleoiseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Polk County, Florida
Posts: 321
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
Time to post one of my favorite articles since several here mentioned they are TTC. And Firefaery is expecting

"Just One Bottle Won't Hurt"-- or Will It?
Marsha Walker, RN, IBCLC
http://www.massbfc.org/formula/bottle.html

Forced supplementing of formula while in hospital (high hemotocrit level due to DS being 2 weeks late and 40 hr. labor).

Coupled with antibiotics given to me thru IV without my permission because my OB had to clean out my uterus manually due to extensive bleeding and clotting (probably the damned pitocin).

Plus damaged gut mama.

Equals my DS's gut
Sounds like dd, too. She was given a bottle of formula in the nicu without my permission after having been given glucose water in an effort to normalize her rapid breathing rate. If they thought eating would help, why didn't they let me try to breastfeed her? Then ped scares me into supplementing with formula at 4 days old cause she's lost too much weight. Fast forward, horrible eczema, cradle cap, etc. Fast forward, she's anaphylactic to milk, eggs, and peanuts along with "milder" allergies to other foods. Makes me mad!
mlleoiseau is offline  
#375 of 443 Old 02-25-2006, 04:56 PM
 
Pattyla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,540
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have taken coloidal minerals in the past and they made me feel terrific. I am wondering if anyone here knows anything about this that would make it a bad idea to take or not scd legal.

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
Pattyla is offline  
#376 of 443 Old 02-25-2006, 07:00 PM
 
Annikate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: FL
Posts: 4,841
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone have any or know of any articles re: breastmilk *still* being best even for babies w/food intolerances?

My mother, MIL, AIL, are wondering why I'm still nursing while dd is so sensitive to what I am eating. Just want to have some research in my corner so to speak.
Annikate is offline  
#377 of 443 Old 02-25-2006, 09:28 PM
 
ShannonCC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 4,736
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A cheat sheet would be wonderful

Is everyone here doing the SCD?

Does anyone just take probiotics? I have some coconut milk. How do you make yogurt? If it requires buying something expensive it's not going to happen
ShannonCC is offline  
#378 of 443 Old 02-25-2006, 10:47 PM
 
Panserbjorne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: The Great North
Posts: 12,080
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Making yogurt requires and oven (electric) and a 60 watt bulb. Super Cheap! Even if you have a gas oven...there are ways...

Any good article on breastfeeding will tell you why it's essential that you continue. Maybe someone has links, if not I'll get them for you. The baby's gut is permeable (by design) until they are about two. BM contains many elements, lauric acid, probiotics, enzymes etc that work to increase immunity and heal the gut. Introducing pasteurized, dead, hydrogenated food (formula) will be devastating. You are better off breastfeeding with the allergenic foods in your diet (I'm not saying you should) than giving formula. PM me if you need me to call my LC (who is also one of my closest friends and we talk several times a day-it wouldn't be a problem)
Panserbjorne is offline  
#379 of 443 Old 02-25-2006, 10:50 PM
 
Panserbjorne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: The Great North
Posts: 12,080
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: minerals. I don't know! I'm taking sea mineral with silver now and looking for a better product. Let's keep our eyes open.
Panserbjorne is offline  
#380 of 443 Old 02-26-2006, 12:40 AM
 
Annikate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: FL
Posts: 4,841
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery
Any good article on breastfeeding will tell you why it's essential that you continue. Maybe someone has links, if not I'll get them for you. The baby's gut is permeable (by design) until they are about two. BM contains many elements, lauric acid, probiotics, enzymes etc that work to increase immunity and heal the gut. Introducing pasteurized, dead, hydrogenated food (formula) will be devastating. You are better off breastfeeding with the allergenic foods in your diet (I'm not saying you should) than giving formula. PM me if you need me to call my LC (who is also one of my closest friends and we talk several times a day-it wouldn't be a problem)
Thanks! I'm really looking for a straightforward article written for people who know absolutely nothing about b'feeding OR food intolerances.

I'd like to find something that says this: You are better off breastfeeding with the allergenic foods in your diet (I'm not saying you should) than giving formula.[/B]

I guess I'm just being super sensitive about it all right now & while I can quote for them several reasons why b'milk is best (in general), I just feel like if they *read* something about why continuing to b'feed, despite dd's "troubles", they'd be more likely to believe it yk?

I'm just getting a lot of, "Try Pro-Sobe, try Pro-Sobe." And . . . "Well, when you quit nursing, things will be better."
Annikate is offline  
#381 of 443 Old 02-26-2006, 01:00 AM
 
JaneS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 9,114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyD
Tired of my coconut yogurt system in the yogurt maker where the top has to be balanced, precariously, on two wood toys ( ) in order to keep the yogurt below 115 or so, I and the power drill took matters into my own hands.

I drilled a whole bunch of holes in the top of my plastic cover And, now I can easily insert thermometer into any of the jars and see what is going on. The highest I have gotten has been 111 degrees

Oh coconut yogurt is so simple. Follow any other yogurt directions, only subbing coconut milk for the milk. I use progurt starter, which was incredibly expensive, but free of dairy & soy and other stuff. It also will last forever. That's it. No need to search


This is the BEST yogurt making story I've ever read!!! Go mama!!!
JaneS is offline  
#382 of 443 Old 02-26-2006, 01:02 AM
 
JaneS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 9,114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla
I have read that before and it always makes me cry. I was forced to give dd bottles of formula untill my milk came in. (luckily on the morning of day 4). It is a long ugly story but my 9 1/2 lb baby wound up in the nicu for 4 days, apparently to spite me since I had her unmedicated and we think also because it appeared that I was a h/b transfer.
Yikes Patty

Hope your DD is doing better with die off today.
JaneS is offline  
#383 of 443 Old 02-26-2006, 01:08 AM
 
JaneS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 9,114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlleoiseau
Sounds like dd, too. She was given a bottle of formula in the nicu without my permission after having been given glucose water in an effort to normalize her rapid breathing rate. If they thought eating would help, why didn't they let me try to breastfeed her? Then ped scares me into supplementing with formula at 4 days old cause she's lost too much weight. Fast forward, horrible eczema, cradle cap, etc. Fast forward, she's anaphylactic to milk, eggs, and peanuts along with "milder" allergies to other foods. Makes me mad!
You just reminded me of the sugar they gave my DS during his blood draws too .

Did you find out DD was ana thru testing or it just happened? Have you posted your story about this, I'd like to read if you link to it.

Why does the medical establishment know so little? It's pretty frightening that we are able to make these connections and they do not. I'll never ever trust anyone with a white coat ever again, on ANYTHING. It's not a good position to be in though. Incredible responsibility for us.
JaneS is offline  
#384 of 443 Old 02-26-2006, 01:30 AM
 
JaneS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 9,114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Some articles on bf'ing and allergies:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBJulAug98p100.html

The great general 'Outcomes of Breastfeeding' review of studies:
http://www.lalecheleague.org/cbi/biospec.htm

This article states:

Quote:
Prolonged breastfeeding can prevent or delay or the onset of food allergies. Possibly due to the immune factors in breastmilk...

Prolonged breastfeeding protects from developing allergies and asthma.
http://users.bigpond.net.au/allergyd...n/fa/wean.html
Also very interesting quote from that site:

Quote:
Studies have shown decreased bone mineral densities and nutrient deficiencies in mothers on inadequate "allergy prevention diets".
JaneS is offline  
#385 of 443 Old 02-26-2006, 01:33 AM
 
Pattyla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,540
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wish me luck. I've got yougart cooking in a cooler w/a heating pad (oven method just didn't come close to working plus I need to use it all the time so having it unavailable for 24 hours wouldn't work here.

Couple of questions. Mainly wanting opinions.

I had a source of organic raw milk but all his cows currently have mastitis so no milk for a while. I can get organic low temp pasturized not homogonized at whole foods (which is what I am currently doing) or get non organic raw from another local guy (but I hear it is a total pita to get it from him). Apparently this other guy has more cows so I wouldn't be so limited as I am now. Which one should I do? In your opinion, if you had to choose, is raw better or organic better?

Ok also on nuts. Following the nt protocol I soaked some almonds and then dried them out. I made them into nut butter following the directions in nt. They were way salty and I think my co was rancid or something. They have a funky taste (I didn't use nearly as much as it called for either).

I found a recipe for some cookies. AF is here and I'm feeling sorry for myself so I made them. They are just walnuts, honey, cinnamon and eggwhite. They tasted lousy and then sat in my stomach like a stone (once I made them I had to eat a bunch )

I am wondering if the reason I reacted badly to the cookies is because of those nuts not being soaked. Or perhaps it was just too soon to try them. If I soak nuts do I need to add the salt? What about my experience w/ the nut butter, normal? When you make nut butter do you add oil? Do you add oil if your nuts are roasted?

Thoughts? Opinions??

Quote:
I'll never ever trust anyone with a white coat ever again, on ANYTHING.
This made me smile. No one at our Dr's office wears a white coat. In fact I was talking to a friend about her dd going to the ped and she talked about him wearing a coat and I thought "I didn't know Dr's still wore those". Probably my experience is outside of the norm but since I never see white coats any more it seems so passe.

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
Pattyla is offline  
#386 of 443 Old 02-26-2006, 03:01 PM
 
Annikate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: FL
Posts: 4,841
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Jane for those links! I also want to have this info for tomorrow when we go to the pediatric allergist/immunologist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla
I am wondering if the reason I reacted badly to the cookies is because of those nuts not being soaked. Or perhaps it was just too soon to try them
Yup, too soon. I did the same thing w/ toasted pecans & suffered because of it.
Good luck w/your yogurt! My raw milk yogurt is deeeelicious! Next, I'm going to try some coconut yogurt too.
Annikate is offline  
#387 of 443 Old 02-26-2006, 04:03 PM
 
JaneS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 9,114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
GLA - Gamma Linoleic Acid

Evening primrose oil helped DS's eczema and my bladder issues.

I found the quote about ancestry and nutrition very interesting.

Quote:
The body needs an enzyme called delta-6 desaturase (D6D) to transform linoleic acid into GLA. Under normal conditions, most people make adequate amounts of D6D and hence the by-product GLA; however, a number of disease and deficiency conditions as well as components of the modern diet can interfere with the conversion of linoleic acid to GLA.

Diabetics, for example, do not normally make adequate amounts of D6D and hence of GLA, nor do people with poor pituitary or thyroid function. Both malnutrition and overeating can interfere with D6D and inhibit the production of GLA. Trans fatty acids definitely inhibit the production of GLA as does overconsumption of sugar and alcohol. Deficiencies of protein, zinc, biotin and vitamins B6, B12 and E can all inhibit D6D function and hence the production of GLA.

In addition, some individuals are not genetically programed to produce D6D at all, mainly those whose ancestors had lots of preformed D6D metabolites from organ meats and fish in their diets. Researchers have called such individuals “obligate carnivores.” They are especially prone to diseases like diabetes and alcoholism if they do not eat enough fish and organ meat.

Some of the disease conditions that result from defective D6D function include premature aging, irritable bowel syndrome, cirrhosis of the liver, skin conditions like eczema, menstrual problem such as PMS, noncancerous breast disease, Sjogren’s syndrome, alcoholism, diabetes and cancer. Thus, investigators have hypothesized that GLA can be an important component of treatment for these conditions.

... reduction in the size of plaque in vessel walls.

....shown to encourage weight loss

http://www.westonaprice.org/knowyour...linolenic.html
JaneS is offline  
#388 of 443 Old 02-26-2006, 04:15 PM
 
JaneS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 9,114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla
I had a source of organic raw milk but all his cows currently have mastitis so no milk for a while. I can get organic low temp pasturized not homogonized at whole foods (which is what I am currently doing) or get non organic raw from another local guy (but I hear it is a total pita to get it from him). Apparently this other guy has more cows so I wouldn't be so limited as I am now. Which one should I do? In your opinion, if you had to choose, is raw better or organic better?

Ok also on nuts. Following the nt protocol I soaked some almonds and then dried them out. I made them into nut butter following the directions in nt. They were way salty and I think my co was rancid or something. They have a funky taste (I didn't use nearly as much as it called for either).

I found a recipe for some cookies. AF is here and I'm feeling sorry for myself so I made them. They are just walnuts, honey, cinnamon and eggwhite. They tasted lousy and then sat in my stomach like a stone (once I made them I had to eat a bunch )

I am wondering if the reason I reacted badly to the cookies is because of those nuts not being soaked. Or perhaps it was just too soon to try them. If I soak nuts do I need to add the salt? What about my experience w/ the nut butter, normal? When you make nut butter do you add oil? Do you add oil if your nuts are roasted?

This made me smile. No one at our Dr's office wears a white coat. In fact I was talking to a friend about her dd going to the ped and she talked about him wearing a coat and I thought "I didn't know Dr's still wore those". Probably my experience is outside of the norm but since I never see white coats any more it seems so passe.
If all his cows have mastitis, I'm not sure I'd EVER buy milk from him. He is probably feeding grains. Grass fed cows do not get sick like this. I don't think I'd even get raw milk from cows that were fed grains regularly even if they appeared to be healthy. It's not a proper diet. It effects the nutrients in the milk and the bacterial population of their guts (which also effects the bacterial count of their milk, not good for raw.)

Non-organic could be okay if you talk to this other farmer and find out what the feed is, whether he uses antibiotics etc. Basically if it's organic with being certified for it.

Organic low temp pasteurized non-homogenized milk is the next best thing. Ultra pasteurized is the bad stuff.

And just to reiterate, SCD does not at all require the use of raw milk (in fact the online groups discourage it) or anything organic.

Re: nut butter

I only add oil if the nuts need it towards the end of processing. Cashews sometimes do.

If nuts are old they can indeed go rancid. I usually rinse mine and dry with clean dishtowel after soaking to remove the excess salt. It's very important to use the salt while soaking, this makes a bacteriostatic solution, mold won't grow. It may be crucial for the phytate reduction as well.

Re: reacting to non soaked nuts

For me, I noticed a difference. Non soaked nuts do inhibit digestive enzymes, so the evidence is there. (Again, another point in which I disagree with SCD.)

And also, you might just not be ready for nuts. Also don't walnut have some kind of special acid? I forget. The easiest nuts to digest first are pecans and blanced almonds.

Re: White coats
I meant it figuratively... how 'bout if I say "so called experts in medicine with a bunch of letters after their names"
JaneS is offline  
#389 of 443 Old 02-26-2006, 06:33 PM
 
Pattyla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,540
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Jane- Thanks for the thoughts. I know the nt protocols aren't part of scd which is why I asked here since I know some of you try to use both. What I thought was rancid was actually my coconut oil. I expect that the other raw milk guy is also feeding grain. Not sure if I could hope to find purely grass fed raw. I can get homogonized paturized grass fed organic milk at the grocery store. Not sure what the non-homogonized cows are eating but I expect at least some grain.

I think I have a working yougart contraption!!! The temp has gone a bit high but stayed under 120 so that is ok, right? My maker should be here tomorrow but we were nearly out of yougart now.

I can't beleive I have to wait another week for the book. UGH! Anyone have any good deserty ideas that don't use nuts? We all need a treat but I'm not having any luck finding recipes that look any good. The cheese cake wasn't good. And we are sick of applesauce but unsure what else we can move on to at this point. HELP!!!

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
Pattyla is offline  
#390 of 443 Old 02-26-2006, 07:02 PM
 
Hibou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: a little house on the prairie
Posts: 1,373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a couple questions:
1. Has anyone tried using homeopathy along with their healing program? I have really been delving into it the last few days, and there are lots of examples where it has helped people with digestive issues/eczema/etc. I would be interested in hearing about it if anyone has gone this route.

2. In regards to enzymes, what brands are reputable, and if anyone on this thread is in Canada, I'm interested in knowing which reputable brands are specifically available here.

tia!
Hibou is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off