Forum Jump: 

#61 of 443 Old 02-09-2006, 12:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate
Wow! So much information here.

I want to ask you wise mamas what you think of this:I started a new thread of ?s about enzyme deficiencies

Hope some of you can speak to this.

Thanks!
Will think about this tomorrow after I watch some trash TV and sleeeeeep...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 443 Old 02-09-2006, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
That was me... just like adding honey is needed for making nut milk yogurt.

Very runny is normal... yogurt only gels when the protein matrixes are formed by the action of the lactic acid bacteria. Coconut milk contains little protein, so won't gel like dairy.

WHAT?? No, I do not add honey to it while it is slow cooking, I never thought I needed to. I do add it when it is ready for consumption as it is quite tart and that is how my son will eat it.

Oh Jane, I can't stop laughing at....."and so early in 2006 too" The baby has a nice healthy case of pox.........come visit, I have google and you can bring your books
#63 of 443 Old 02-10-2006, 12:26 AM

Have I already mentioned to you all that I am CONSUMED by this now?

I'm reading about SCD (although I've never had any yeast trouble that I'm aware of, nor has dd). I wonder too . . . dd tested positive for many of the foods allowed on this diet by our ND. So . . . I really can't do this.

It is so frustrating and hard to know what's right. I have to believe the muscle testing worked for us because it made such a significant improvement (and quickly too) but it changes and there are very little foods left that do not test positive.

I wish I could just have a list yk? That'd make things soooo much easier. Thanks for letting me whine.
#64 of 443 Old 02-10-2006, 01:45 AM

Okay, I may actually have an answer here that I didn't have when I started. Sooooo, for what it's worth, here goes. We were also allergic to alot of the foods allowed on the diet, so I wasn't really sure how we'd do it. We couldn't do eggs, dairy, bananas, avacado, carrots, and on and on and on But I talked it through with some of the mamas here (thanks jane and moneca!) and decided to try it. The purpose of the diet is to heal the gut and even if you are ingesting some allergens it will heal because those foods aren't damaging the gut...just leaking through the perforations. In the meantime though, you still have reactions. For us it was hyperactivity, bowel issues and rashes (amongst others, I'm sure) As you continue to heal it will get better. There are supplements though, that will mediate reactions. Quercetin will block histamine responses, halting the activation of the opiate receptors in the brain. So, taking the quercetin will block the response. It is very effective and we have used it for acute IgE reactions with success, so I'm very confident about this. I wish I had known about it in the beginning stages of the diet. Do some reading, or talk to an ND and see. It may be very possible to do the diet employing things like this. We had success without it-but it would have been an easier road had I known about it back then. I hope that helps. I don't know. Maybe I'm just babbling.
#65 of 443 Old 02-10-2006, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery
There are supplements though, that will mediate reactions. Quercetin will block histamine responses, halting the activation of the opiate receptors in the brain. So, taking the quercetin will block the response. It is very effective and we have used it for acute IgE reactions with success, so I'm very confident about this.
What brand of Quercetin are you using? I am dying to get some for both of my kiddos, but the 4yr old and the 1yr old don't swallow pills. What are you doing w/it?
#66 of 443 Old 02-10-2006, 10:01 AM

So do I understand right that the Quercetin will also help with the withdrawal symptoms? Since it blocks the histamin responses?
#67 of 443 Old 02-10-2006, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Okay, I may actually have an answer here that I didn't have when I started. Sooooo, for what it's worth, here goes. We were also allergic to alot of the foods allowed on the diet, so I wasn't really sure how we'd do it. We couldn't do eggs, dairy, bananas, avacado, carrots, and on and on and on But I talked it through with some of the mamas here (thanks jane and moneca!) and decided to try it. The purpose of the diet is to heal the gut and even if you are ingesting some allergens it will heal because those foods aren't damaging the gut...just leaking through the perforations.
Thank you! I've been reading through all the old threads and read some of your story. All I've seen so far about the SCD diet made me think it wasn't for us but this trial and error is soooo frustrating because one week it seems we're making progress, the next week it's back to red bumps under the eyes, no sleep, gas, etc.

I must've deleted the link to the SCD - can anyone post it for me? Oh, and I just don't see myself going through weeks of trying to get the yogurt making down either (I barely have time to pee!). Can I *buy* some somewhere that'll work just as well?

Thanks!
#68 of 443 Old 02-10-2006, 01:33 PM

I use Designs for Health. It's a powder, and I just stick it in our morning smoothies. They're none the wiser I did give it to my mother for withdrawal along with pascalite clay for die off. She didn't have nearly as difficult a time as I did. I'm also making sure I take it during this pregnancy so the babe doesn't get sensitized. I was just talking to the LC and nutritionist I work with about starting to recommend it to women with low supply who need to bridge the gap with formula. So far, so good. That way little babes who get a bit of formula when their bellies aren't ready don't suffer (as much) damage.
#69 of 443 Old 02-10-2006, 10:20 PM

DD has only just started solids. Would you all think it'd still be beneficial for me to do the SCD diet, even if dd can't yet?
#70 of 443 Old 02-11-2006, 12:35 AM

YES! You can start by healing your gut, and figure out the diet in time for your little one to start doing it. If you're breastfeeding, he'll start getting the benefits now anyway.
#71 of 443 Old 02-11-2006, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyD
WHAT?? No, I do not add honey to it while it is slow cooking, I never thought I needed to. I do add it when it is ready for consumption as it is quite tart and that is how my son will eat it.

Oh Jane, I can't stop laughing at....."and so early in 2006 too" The baby has a nice healthy case of pox.........come visit, I have google and you can bring your books
Well if it's tart I guess the critters are growing!

Well maybe I'll come visit you when the POX have left the building!
#72 of 443 Old 02-11-2006, 12:46 AM

Quote:
DD has only just started solids. Would you all think it'd still be beneficial for me to do the SCD diet, even if dd can't yet?
Absolutely... and why can't she do it too? Fruits, non starchy veggies, egg yolk, meat later. Sounds like a perfect start to eating to me! Grains are not supposed to be well digested until all the teeth are in (that's when the saliva amylase enzyme is working well). It's stupid that grains are the current first goods.
#73 of 443 Old 02-11-2006, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Thank you! I've been reading through all the old threads and read some of your story. All I've seen so far about the SCD diet made me think it wasn't for us but this trial and error is soooo frustrating because one week it seems we're making progress, the next week it's back to red bumps under the eyes, no sleep, gas, etc.

I must've deleted the link to the SCD - can anyone post it for me? Oh, and I just don't see myself going through weeks of trying to get the yogurt making down either (I barely have time to pee!). Can I *buy* some somewhere that'll work just as well?

Thanks!
Yes, cut out all but SCD foods for your babe and see how that goes, along the lines of the list I just posted. Cook/peel/seed all her fruits and veggies. NO raw until she is well healed and watch that carefully.

Here are the 2 links. Pecanbread is geared to ASD kids but has good recipes and great advice in the Food Prep section for kids in general. See the chart there for easy to digest foods to start with.

www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info start with Beginner section
www.pecanbread.com

Store bought yogurt doesn't contain enough probiotics, plus it contains lactose b/c it's not been fermented for the full 24 hours. Lactose feeds the bad bacteria in gut if it's not broken down by a working digestive system.

Homemade 24 hour yogurt contains 15 billion good bacterial count per teaspoon, which is higher than any capsule on the market.

It's not hard to make yogurt, I promise!
#74 of 443 Old 02-11-2006, 03:13 AM

Thanks! I see that dd really can do this too! I thought this diet was MUCH more restrictive than it is.

Okay ladies, I'm going to embark on this journey with you! I'll give the yogurt a shot this weekend.

And one more question, just to clarify (even though I'm quite sure what the answer is ...) I DON'T have to have diarrhea or yeast issues for this diet to help right?

BTW, Jane - I ordered the hair test for both myself and dd. I got so worried after realizing that having my amalgams removed may have had something to do with this (or at least made it WORSE). I'll be *trying* to get enough hair from my baldie girl tomorrow to send off. I'm a bit nervous about seeing the results.
#75 of 443 Old 02-11-2006, 11:38 AM

Not at all. Yeast is just one thing this diet fixes, as is diarrhea (though one can cause the other ) It really does so much more. Welcome! You'll find alot of support here, and you'll be suprised how well you can eat on this program.
#76 of 443 Old 02-11-2006, 01:19 PM

Thank you! I'm printing the legal/illegal list now and making a preliminary shopping list.

I have the book ordered but probably won't get it 'til next week.

Oh, and I live in a state where raw milk is illegal for human consumption. Soooo . . . gotta try to track that down somehow.

I'm really excited about how MUCH you can actually have on this diet! What do you use for sweeteners (beside honey)?
#77 of 443 Old 02-11-2006, 05:56 PM

Annikate,

Raw milk is not essential but yogurt is, so start that first.

Re: amalgams
Please do keep us posted. And just focus on the fact that you know now and that's much more than most people! Think about upping your mineral intake and making bone broths. There is some evidence that the SCD is very helpful in supporting detox and healing so chelation can naturally happen.

You can use fruit juice for sweetening too. I sometimes cook frozen fruit and puree it (straining out seeds of strawberries/rasp/blackberries for DS) and it makes a great sauce. Yummy over yogurt or added to smoothies. Or boiled down a bit, a great syrup.

Saccharin is also allowed on the diet, Elaine did a lot of research on it, but I'm still weird about it.

I use liquid stevia occasionally, Sweet Leaf doesn't have an aftertaste. But SCD doesn't really allow it. I've never confirmed their claim that it is similar in chemical structure to a steriod... Elisabeth or Amanda do you know more about this? I'm so not in the mood for another research jag right now
#78 of 443 Old 02-11-2006, 07:23 PM

firefaery, how did you find the remedy that had gut healing properties? What book lists that sort of thing? I'd love for gut healing to be helped by homeopathy, it's such a gentle kind of medicine.
Jane, I noticed the BrainChild minerals have xanthan gum in them -- how has that been? Isn't that SCD illegal?

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#79 of 443 Old 02-11-2006, 08:18 PM

I think its going fine, but we are still on half the recommended dose, going slow.

Response re: xanthan gum from one of the owners of Brainchild:

Quote:
The question is: why are the Ultra-Sensitive Brainchild Formulas
SCD-approved, even though they contain xanthan gum? The answer is that
Michael Lang, Brainchild's founder, and Elaine G. had a long conversation
last year about our supplements, and Elaine decided that the small amount
of xanthan gum in them is ok with her, in view of the excellent nutrients
and remaining ingredients provided. So they decided that the
Ultra-Sensitive formulas are SCD-approved by Elaine. The rest of our
formulas would have been approved as well, except that Elaine is not
comfortable with herbs in general, and our other formulas do contain herbs.

Btw, we do have some SCD families who have decided to use the other vitamin
formulas that contain herbs. When people ask, we let them know that the
amounts of the herbs in our vitamin formulas are very small, but until
recently we did not have numbers for them. I recently calculated how many
mg of each herb is in an ounce of the "non-SCD" vitamin formulas (SSI,
SSII, SSIIPAK, SSIII), and here they are, in case it helps anyone in their
decisions:

(numbers are in milligrams per ounce)
Gymnema Sylvestre3
Gingko7
Gotu Kola8
Burdock20
Chinese sarsaparilla26
Schisandra berries26
Milk thistle26
Astragalus26
Ashwaganda26
Fennel12
The Ultra-Sensitive mineral formula and our regular Spectrum Support
minerals (unflavored version) are almost identical, btw, except that the
Spectrum Support Minerals contain MSM and Slippery Elm. I know that Elaine
is uncomfortable with Slippery Elm, although the Native Americans used it
for hundreds of years to soothe and heal the gut. This is entirely your
call, as far as what you're comfortable with, of course. All of our
formulas are interchangeable - any mineral formula can be used with any
vitamin formula. You can mix and match bottles (i.e. choose to buy a
bottle of Ultra-sensitive minerals and a bottle of Spectrum Support II
vitamins) at the following page:
http://www.brainchildnutritionals.co...dOrdering.html

I hope this is helpful, and clears things up rather than just making them
more confusing. You may feel free to email me off list or on list with any
questions. I'm at terri @ mykland . com (take out the spaces)

Terri at Brainchild
mom to Zane, 12yo high functioning autistic
#80 of 443 Old 02-11-2006, 09:36 PM

Thanks, Jane. I will also ask my homeopath, she had said vitamins for small kids weren't good because they are hard on the kidneys, but maybe these would be better.

DS will be three this coming Wednesday. I would like to make him an SCD-legal birthday cake. Any ideas? Has anyone tried the banana cake from BTVC, and if so, what size pan did you use and how long did you bake it for? (that info is not in the recipe).

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#81 of 443 Old 02-11-2006, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Not at all. Yeast is just one thing this diet fixes, as is diarrhea (though one can cause the other ) It really does so much more. Welcome! You'll find alot of support here, and you'll be suprised how well you can eat on this program.
Soooo glad you guys are here! At the risk of sounding overly-enthusiastic, I have to say that I was in HEAVEN today eating my legal foods (and recipies). I shopped & cooked ALL day. (After that TED, this was like gourmet eating to me!)

I made the muffins (apple & banana), made the peanut butter chicken, and the chicken soup. YUM to all of them! Gave dd1 all of it and dd2 had cooked pears today.

I also found a source of raw milk & goat's milk too. I can get some on Tuesday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
You can use fruit juice for sweetening too. I sometimes cook frozen fruit and puree it (straining out seeds of strawberries/rasp/blackberries for DS) and it makes a great sauce. Yummy over yogurt or added to smoothies. Or boiled down a bit, a great syrup.
Thank you! I'm weird about saccharine too.

Quote:
Raw milk is not essential but yogurt is, so start that first.
Do you mean I can have the Dannon plain yogurt that I bought today for my starter? Should I eat that instead of waiting to make my own?

Gotta ask you ladies about minerals later on . . . enough from me for now!

I'm just soooo excited! After yesterday's almost-throwing-my-hands-up day, this is great! Thank you soooo much!
#82 of 443 Old 02-11-2006, 09:58 PM

I have the text of an article here:

"Effects of chronic administration of Stevia rebaudiana on fertility in rats"
Journal of Ethnopharmacology
Volume 67, Issue 2 , November 1999, Pages 157-161

But when I copied to the disk at the library the tables and figures didn't copy. I'll try again next time. I think my next trip will be early March.

Here's the abstract:
A study conducted on prepubertal male rats showed that chronic administration (60 days) of a Stevia rebaudiana aqueous extract produced a decrease in final weight of testis, seminal vesicle and cauda epididymidis. In addition, the fructose content of the accessory sex glands and the epididymal sperm concentration are decreased. Stevia treatment tended to decrease the plasma testosterone level, probably by a putative affinity of glycosides of extract for a certain androgen receptor, and no alteration occurred in luteinizing hormone level. These data are consistent with the possibility that Stevia extracts may decrease the fertility of male rats.

I am drinking something with stevia in it right now, but I have reduced my consumption and I am reducing Frederick's. I don't want to be blamed 20 years from now for a reduction in the size of his testes.

Edited: The amount of stevia used in the study is much higher than would be used to sweeten some food. And they used the leaf I believe which is what's in the products I use. So basically, we don't really know. That's why I'm cutting back.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#83 of 443 Old 02-11-2006, 11:40 PM

I was just going to post...we don't know. I don't use it. Period. As far as the remedy, there is no book I can refer you to. I am highly against treating myself in a constitutional way. No book, website or anything else you could get your hands on will list all the remedies. There are thousands. New ones are being proven constantly and there are such tiny nuances that to get it done properly you really need to see a classically trained homeopath. My dd's first remedy was firefly. It had just been proven and was not found in texts anywhere, but ot was perfect and we saw immediate results. It's really hard, but it's one area I don't compromise on. I know alot about homeopathy and can treat most anyone in acute situations...but NEVER constitutionally. I actually drive over two hours and pay through the nose to see my DhT who is also an MD (no longer practiced that way, but holds his license and therefore is able to order lab testing and such...) He is the president of the national center for homeopathy and is UNREAL. I am learning alot from him. I would definitely encourage you to find someone that can help you down this path. It is gentle and very effective. Hope that was helpful!
#84 of 443 Old 02-12-2006, 12:43 AM

faery,

Do you happen to know where I can find a description/profile for someone who is calcium carbonate? You know, the list of things.. "you might be a calcium carbonate if..." I've looked for it a bit and so far haven't seen my homeopath in ages except for in passing. The remedy saved me in pregnancy and pulsatilla changed Frederick's behavior when he was almost a year.

Amanda

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#85 of 443 Old 02-12-2006, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookietooth
Thanks, Jane. I will also ask my homeopath, she had said vitamins for small kids weren't good because they are hard on the kidneys, but maybe these would be better.

DS will be three this coming Wednesday. I would like to make him an SCD-legal birthday cake. Any ideas? Has anyone tried the banana cake from BTVC, and if so, what size pan did you use and how long did you bake it for? (that info is not in the recipe).
We are avoiding the chemical forms of vitamins for that reason, the synthetic vitamin A palmitate that is in all vitamins, iron which is hard on sensitive digestions, etc.

I didn't get the Brainchild vitamins b/c it has calcium ascorbate which is a no-no. So I pick and choose.... in addition to the minerals I makes sure DS gets C and A and D. I'm afraid of the B's (hyperactivity).

I have made the banana cake in a large rectangular pyrex, forget how long to bake it though. The cashew butter cake recipe I posted a while ago is yummy.
#86 of 443 Old 02-12-2006, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Do you mean I can have the Dannon plain yogurt that I bought today for my starter? Should I eat that instead of waiting to make my own?
No, did I say that? make that 24 hr. yogurt mama!
#87 of 443 Old 02-12-2006, 01:52 AM

#88 of 443 Old 02-12-2006, 02:27 AM

Those are good sites, but again you are treating acutely as opposed to constitutionally...but you may get some relief. Just don't be suprised if the picture changes frequently. When you treat specific symptoms and they resolve others tend to crop up, or they resolve for a couple of weeks and return. Just don't get fed up with it. It really can work well!
#89 of 443 Old 02-12-2006, 02:33 AM

I'm subbing to this.

My DD has some pretty terrible eczema all over her legs. It's not terribly obvious until you rub them. They're all dry and rough. My DH says it's just because it's winter and apparently he still get's it this time of year. Is this really just a winter thing? I can't imagine that regular moisturizing alone is the solution. DD has not had anything like this before (may be very milk dry skin, but not actual areas that look like eczema).

DS has a couple of spots of eczema on his legs to. I get worried about it though because I'm scared of a relapse (he had terrible eczema ftom about 4 till 10 months old, and we fixed it with an elimiation diet).

My skin seems fine, but I feel tired all the time. I've been soaking all my grains now but I don't feel that's enough. My DH says I'm, obsessing over this stuff. But, I just don't feel 100%, and I'm a little worried about the kids, so I need to trust my instinct right? He's really supportive of almost all the things I do, but I wish he'd take this more seriously Where are those library books on SCD and live-foods that I was supposed to get!

I obviously have plenty of reading to catch-up on so I'll see ya around...
#90 of 443 Old 02-12-2006, 02:34 AM

Nevermind. Didn't see Amanda's post...though I was responding to something else. That'll teach me to jump the gun! Amanda-that's a great site for what you need. Sorry!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page