Healing the Gut Tribe ~ February - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 443 Old 02-12-2006, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
No, did I say that? make that 24 hr. yogurt mama!
I thought you meant that the yogurt was more imortant than the raw milk - - guess it was wishful thinking.
#92 of 443 Old 02-12-2006, 01:33 PM

Annikate, 24 hr yogurt is simple. And I can tell you a great way to make it if you are lacking a yogurt maker and a thermometer (is that how you spell it, it looks weird )

All you need is your starter, glass jars (mason jars are great) and awool blanket (thick one, we usually use an army blanket, but it is on our bed so we have the maker).

Get your milk ready--since we don't do dairy, you'll have to defer to the experts on whether you boil it or not, especially the raw stuff. Anywho, once that part is done, you want to get the milk down to 120 degrees so you can add the starter (and not cook all the beneficial bacteria). Since I don't want to wait long, I sit my pot in cold water and stir constantly (takes 2 min or so). You are at 120 degrees when you can put your finger in and count to 10, slowly. At this point you'll already have the starter in the jar and add your milk, while mixing.

Cover the jars w/the lids (different from a maker) and wrap the wool blanket all over it and under it and on top of it.

Let sit for 24 hrs. If the yogurt is not tart when you take it out, feel free to let it sit for some more. Refridgerate for a couple of hrs before using.

hth
Amy
#93 of 443 Old 02-12-2006, 02:05 PM

Admittedly, it's been awhile, but isn't 120 too high a temp? I'll have to go back and look, but I though that the temp shouldn't exceed 110 to keep the cultures alive? I will dig, but I could swear Elaine said 100-110 degrees...
#94 of 443 Old 02-12-2006, 02:38 PM

firefaery, I have actually been working with a constitutional homeopath, but I'm not totally pleased with the results. She's a friend's mom, so it's free, but I think maybe it may be worth it to find someone else.

Jane: why is calcium ascorbate a no-no? I have been taking it myself. Oops!

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#95 of 443 Old 02-12-2006, 03:25 PM

Yeah...I wenet through several classical homeopaths (who weren't truly classical) before finding mine. My general rule was to give them a year, and if I got no results I moved on. With this one we had results immediately. I am totally willing to pay his fees because he is dead on every time. OT-my mother finally agreed to see him. She had leukemia and was going in for round four of chemo. I begged for over a year, and since her dad just died (of the same kind of leukemia) she decided to try another route. Her only physical symptom was that the lymph nodes in her neck were swollen larger than her head. After the FIRST visit and the initial dose of her remedy they decreased by half. It's now been almost three weeks and you can't see them anymore. I was very confident referring her to him, because he's THAT GOOD! Everyone deserves a practitioner like that! I love homeopathy It's also a huge bonus that he's an MD, he called her oncologist (who told her she couldn't out off chemo for two weeks to see the homeopath first) and reviewed her chart with him and basically said "there's no reason that she has to do this now." What could the doc say? This was a respected MD looking at the chart, reading it correctly and he was right. A regular old homeopath wouldn't have that kind of clout. I feel really lucky. Any way...back to healing the gut!
#96 of 443 Old 02-12-2006, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery
Admittedly, it's been awhile, but isn't 120 too high a temp? I'll have to go back and look, but I though that the temp shouldn't exceed 110 to keep the cultures alive? I will dig, but I could swear Elaine said 100-110 degrees...

Good question!! I could have sworn it was not to let it get over 120 degrees, but I could be mistaken. My yogurt has always turned out excellent and very tart (as already discussed). I know that when I was a raw foodist, the temperature where things started 'cooking' was 120 degrees, so maybe that is where I'm pulling that # from. But my book is in my room w/my sleeping baby, so can't look it up right now.
#97 of 443 Old 02-12-2006, 04:04 PM

I posted awhile back about getting a live blood analysis done and finding yeast, fungus, and parasites. I'm basically supposed to be on a candida diet. I don't know why I'm taking molybdenum only... next time I will bring a tape recorder along to record what she is saying... I couldn't keep track of it all.

I'm struggling on the diet... I can't stay away from chocolate. That's an advantage of the SCD-you can't have chocolate, but at least you can make other sweets!

You all are doing great for making or even considering making the changes you are!

Jane, have you been on the SCD for almost a year now? Are you going to remain on it, or what are your plans?
#98 of 443 Old 02-12-2006, 04:32 PM

Amy-you're right about the raw foods thing, but I think 120 is the temp that you can no longer stand having your finger in the water...which I wouldn't do in the yogurt anyway just becasue of my personal concerns about contamination. If that's the way you're doing it though, you probably aren't actually getting to 120. That's the good news! I did look it up and Elaine says in BTVC (pg. 158) to keep it between 100 and 110. I did read somewhere that it was okay to get it up to 115, but everything else said 110. And just to clarify, you can heat the milk higher, but the cultures shouldn't be exposed to heat higher than 110.
#99 of 443 Old 02-12-2006, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Jane, what minerals do you give ds? Are they a liquid, tablet, or what? Dd's doctors want her on a multi vitamin, and I've tried the Kirkman's capsule opened up and mixed in her food, but she usually refuses to eat whatever I mix it in.
#100 of 443 Old 02-12-2006, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahariz
I'm struggling on the diet... I can't stay away from chocolate. That's an advantage of the SCD-you can't have chocolate, but at least you can make other sweets!
I'm mourning the loss of my chocolate too. (And rocky road ice cream.)

ETAsk: Is butter (i.e., Land O' Lakes or similar) allowed on the SCD? I don't think I read anything about that. (Hope to get the book soon.)
#101 of 443 Old 02-12-2006, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siana
I'm subbing to this.

My DD has some pretty terrible eczema all over her legs...

DS has a couple of spots of eczema on his legs to. I get worried about it though because I'm scared of a relapse (he had terrible eczema ftom about 4 till 10 months old, and we fixed it with an elimiation diet).

My skin seems fine, but I feel tired all the time...

I obviously have plenty of reading to catch-up on so I'll see ya around...
Are you giving essential fatty acids, cod liver oil and evening primrose?

I don't think you are being obsessive, you have mother's intuition! Think about vitamin D levels too, they get lower in winter.
#102 of 443 Old 02-12-2006, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookietooth
Jane: why is calcium ascorbate a no-no? I have been taking it myself. Oops!
Here is some info, more in that thread too:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...&postcount=100

basically it's bad for immune system and has been connected to cancer.
#103 of 443 Old 02-12-2006, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahariz
Jane, have you been on the SCD for almost a year now? Are you going to remain on it, or what are your plans?
Nope, just since Sept.

I've tried a few things and still can't handle advanced SCD foods like beans, very much. Or soaked grains which are "supposed" to be easier to digest. Or alcohol (which says to me I've still got bacterial issues producing alcohol on my own.) So yes, I plan to stay on it for sure. I'm in a rhythm, it's easy now and I've forgotten how to cook any other way!

I wonder if I'll not be able to go off the SCD until my system has finished dumping mercury from my filling removal last summer. Which means at least thru this year. I'm supposed to be starting chelation according to previous plans but just not sure about it...
#104 of 443 Old 02-12-2006, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate
ETAsk: Is butter (i.e., Land O' Lakes or similar) allowed on the SCD? I don't think I read anything about that. (Hope to get the book soon.)

Yes, see Legal/Illegal list here: http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.i...llegal_a-c.htm
#105 of 443 Old 02-12-2006, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlleoiseau
Jane, what minerals do you give ds? Are they a liquid, tablet, or what? Dd's doctors want her on a multi vitamin, and I've tried the Kirkman's capsule opened up and mixed in her food, but she usually refuses to eat whatever I mix it in.
Brainchild Ultra Sensitive minerals, not the vitamins... I don't like some of the vitamins in there: calcium ascorbate and beta carotene. I give C, A and D seperately to DS in the form I prefer. And I am afraid of B vitamin supplementation b/c of hyperactivity. DS doesn't need any encouragement on that front.

http://www.brainchildnutritionals.co...Ingrediex.html

It's a liquid and tastes great, well not great but pretty neutral flavored. You can order a sample bottle too.
#106 of 443 Old 02-12-2006, 11:14 PM

Nourishing Traditions says 117 is the highest temperature live foods should go, then the enzymes start to die off.

Although I have read other sources for yogurt which has said 120.
#107 of 443 Old 02-13-2006, 01:52 AM

Hi, I'm new and my is spinning from all this information. I'm going to have to read it all another time b/c I have to shower and go to bed before my sick boy wakes up again.

My son is 3 yrs. 10 months and has some issues we need to deal with. One is that he's barely 27 pounds and 37" tall. He's barely on the growth charts and he gains weight very slowly. The other is behavorial(I'll have to expand on that at another time) and illnesses. He had several ear infections until we started taking him to the chiropracter in April 2005. He was scheduled to have tubes put in his ears, but we tried the chiro and it worked great. Unfortantly, he's all messed up already from all the antiobtics.

I bought the SCD book and am impatiently waiting to get it(and apparently it hasn't even shipped yet). I was referred here and to the SCD by Deborah(don't know her screen name yet).

Anyway, I'm extremely new at this and any information or insight or anything you can give me would be greatly appreciated. My dh is on board w/the diet, but I'm not sure how he'll react to me wanting to see a holistic prac. He doesn't like giving ds meds. much either, so I don't think he'll have too much of a problem w/it.

Right now ds has a possible sinus infection, fluid in his ears(which drained Fri. night) and a fever. Any ideas on what to do about all that??? I'm tempted to call the dr. in the morning, but I really want to avoid antibiotics if I can. BTW, the nearest health food store is over an hour away, but luckly my chiro is in the same town, and I plan on making ds a chiro appt. anyway.

Oh, and that's just him... Later I'll go into my possible yeast problems and dh's stomach problems.. We're just one messed up group.. LOL

Thanks!!!

Janice, car seat tech, wife to M since 7/99, mom to C since 4/02 and S since 12/09
#108 of 443 Old 02-13-2006, 11:22 AM

Hi Janice! I don't have much info to give you as I'm a newbie at this as well. I am also waiting for my book to be delivered. (I should've ordered a new copy & would have had it by now!)

I started this diet Saturday. Should I be reacting to this already? Slight nausea & constipation?

DD likes her cooked fruit.
#109 of 443 Old 02-13-2006, 01:20 PM

I just found out that most of the yogurt starters have l. acidophilous, and my son needs a special d-lactate free yogurt starter that costs boucoo bucks to get....do you still think it is worth it to make the yogurt? Why is yogurt better than probiotics again?

If you go on a yeast free diet for six weeks, take GSE for ten days, take candex for a solid month 2 caps twice a day, and in two months you don't see any change....what does this mean? I feel like we really didn't see any "wows" from doing the yeast protocol...I even gave ds MCT liquid practically every day, even most days four times a day, for a month and nothing. Ds symptoms are still the same.

I'm wondering if I need to continue candex and MCT for another month or on a continual basis? Should I do another round of GSE? Ds just started probiotics this week.
#110 of 443 Old 02-13-2006, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
I just wanted to say Janice. I am so glad you are here. The mamas on this board have so much valuable info to share. Take your time, it is going to be quite a journey!

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#111 of 443 Old 02-13-2006, 02:14 PM

How much do you all pay for almond flour? I paid like $14 per pound!
#112 of 443 Old 02-13-2006, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2cias
Hi, I'm new and my is spinning from all this information. I'm going to have to read it all another time b/c I have to shower and go to bed before my sick boy wakes up again.

My son is 3 yrs. 10 months and has some issues we need to deal with. One is that he's barely 27 pounds and 37" tall. He's barely on the growth charts and he gains weight very slowly. The other is behavorial(I'll have to expand on that at another time) and illnesses. He had several ear infections until we started taking him to the chiropracter in April 2005. He was scheduled to have tubes put in his ears, but we tried the chiro and it worked great. Unfortantly, he's all messed up already from all the antiobtics.

I bought the SCD book and am impatiently waiting to get it(and apparently it hasn't even shipped yet). I was referred here and to the SCD by Deborah(don't know her screen name yet).

Anyway, I'm extremely new at this and any information or insight or anything you can give me would be greatly appreciated. My dh is on board w/the diet, but I'm not sure how he'll react to me wanting to see a holistic prac. He doesn't like giving ds meds. much either, so I don't think he'll have too much of a problem w/it.

Right now ds has a possible sinus infection, fluid in his ears(which drained Fri. night) and a fever. Any ideas on what to do about all that??? I'm tempted to call the dr. in the morning, but I really want to avoid antibiotics if I can. BTW, the nearest health food store is over an hour away, but luckly my chiro is in the same town, and I plan on making ds a chiro appt. anyway.

Oh, and that's just him... Later I'll go into my possible yeast problems and dh's stomach problems.. We're just one messed up group.. LOL

Thanks!!!
Janice

I can speak to gut and behavioral issues but don't have any experience with the sinus/ear infections. Take a look at the Sodium Ascorbate thread, try giving vitamin C at every meal and bedtime, it helps kill viruses and boost immune system. http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=353318

I'd also give some vitamin A too, that's used up in the body very quickly with infections. But only if it's in the natural form from cod liver oil, not beta carotene or palmitate.

His weight and infections definately point to his needing some immune system support. Could he be celiac? What is he eating? Have you tried probiotics to balance his system from the antibx?
#113 of 443 Old 02-13-2006, 06:50 PM

Quote:
I started this diet Saturday. Should I be reacting to this already? Slight nausea & constipation?
Yes, die off reactions are commonly seen very quickly.

There is advice regarding constipation on the site under Knowledge Base
www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info
#114 of 443 Old 02-13-2006, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestbirths
I just found out that most of the yogurt starters have l. acidophilous, and my son needs a special d-lactate free yogurt starter that costs boucoo bucks to get....do you still think it is worth it to make the yogurt? Why is yogurt better than probiotics again?

If you go on a yeast free diet for six weeks, take GSE for ten days, take candex for a solid month 2 caps twice a day, and in two months you don't see any change....what does this mean? I feel like we really didn't see any "wows" from doing the yeast protocol...I even gave ds MCT liquid practically every day, even most days four times a day, for a month and nothing. Ds symptoms are still the same.

I'm wondering if I need to continue candex and MCT for another month or on a continual basis? Should I do another round of GSE? Ds just started probiotics this week.
Why does he need special starter? We use Progurt from www.GIProHealth.com which is dairy free L. casei strain, it's expensive, but it lasts a really long time b/c you only use 1/4 tsp. for 2 qts.

24 hr yogurt contains more probiotics in a teaspoon than in one capsule. The milk of the yogurt has also been shown to protect against stomach acid and carry the good bacteria down into the intestines where it needs to be.

All that and no yeast improvment means to me that the problem is not yeast, it could be bacterial (and I've heard that GSE makes bacterial things worse). Plus GSE kills off good bacteria too, probiotic should be a must have on this protocol.

Also you are just using enzymes at this point, not diet right? I couldn't do that, my gut was in too bad a shape, I needed to do the diet. Perhaps the foods are still not being completely broken down and continuing to feed the yeast/bacteria.
#115 of 443 Old 02-13-2006, 06:58 PM

Quote:
How much do you all pay for almond flour? I paid like $14 per pound!
land sakes where was that?

www.digestivewellness.com has it for around $6/lb I think. I used to order from them and then I got all weird about needing organic and now I make my own and soak the nuts too
#116 of 443 Old 02-13-2006, 08:39 PM

Yeah I know! It was at our local hf store. We have very little organic here and we're lucky to have this little store where I live. I will definitely order from digestivewellness.com! I used both pounds just yesterday!

Ummm . . . came here to post another question and now my mind went . . . oh yeah! I actually dusted off an old Cuisinart frozen yogurt/ice cream maker. Can I use that to make my yogurt? I read on one of the old threads about using a yogurt maker. . . Of course, I have no directions for it.

hehee - first chance to use that smilie.
#117 of 443 Old 02-13-2006, 09:56 PM

Annikate, you are a

No you cannot use a frozen yogurt maker to make yogurt!

My oven method hasn't failed me yet...
#118 of 443 Old 02-13-2006, 10:10 PM

Ah

Jane, I can't find your directions.
#119 of 443 Old 02-13-2006, 10:47 PM

You just like posting

I so knew this was coming... here are yogurt instructions

http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.i...oghurt_scd.htm
http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.i...rt_in_bulk.htm

I heat my electric oven to the lowest setting 150 degrees until it beeps that it's preheated, just to warm it up. Turn off oven. Someone else thinks ahead and just turns light on ahead of time while they are scalding/cooling the milk but since I usually make it from raw milk I don't have time or brains to do this.

Turn light bulb on. (If you have a gas oven, perhaps the pilot will be enough.)

Put in milk with starter at a temperature between 100-110. If you are using pasteurized milk, you need to scald it first by heating to 185 and then cooling back down to 110 before adding starter.

Keeping the bulb on is enough to keep the yogurt between 100-110 for 24 hrs. but some people have to add a higher watt bulb. I use glass jars and set them on a pizza stone, which helps retain the temp too.

Do a trial run with water in your jars first and check the temp every hr. for several hours. Check again after an overnight to make sure the water stays at the right temp. between 100-110. Then you are ready to make yogurt!

I love this method b/c I can make as much as I want and also make cow for me and goat for DS at same time. Or a small batch of our raw cream for ice cream
#120 of 443 Old 02-14-2006, 12:12 AM

Hello to everyone! Finally I've rejoined the land of the living. We've had so much sickness in our family, we just had to hunker down and deal...
Speaking of which...do ya'll think that my ds's possible asthma (Serious lung stuff every time he gets any type of upper resp. thingy) could be related to his gut in some fashion?

I also had another question for anyone... a normal, healthy gut breaks down and absorbs carrots and english peas...right?
Our dd (1 year) ate some cooked and they showed up in her diaper later that day UNCHANGED AT ALL!!!! YIKES! If I didn't know better, I'd swear she put them in her diaper instead of eating them. I think that this finally convinced dh that we all need to be on SCD. Thankfully she's still mostly breastfed.

Jennifer, Wifey to Stevenwinky.gif, Mommy to Gwhistling.gif and Hfairy.gif. TTC for 5 years.
Praying for God to bless us again!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page