Healing the Gut Tribe ~ February - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 443 Old 02-14-2006, 01:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you Jane!

AmyD - I didn't mean to disregard your post. I'm going to experiment and try both ways. I just hope it doesn't come out like . . . . .

#122 of 443 Old 02-14-2006, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
I love this method b/c I can make as much as I want and also make cow for me and goat for DS at same time. Or a small batch of our raw cream for ice cream
You know I'm gonna have to ask about the raw cream next don't you?
#123 of 443 Old 02-14-2006, 01:30 AM

Zanelee, ds doesn't break down carrots or peas, either, and I think it's at least paritally because he doesn't chew them much.
JaneS, thanks for the info about bad vitamin C -- what's the good kind? Sodium ascorbate? Ascorbic acid?

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#124 of 443 Old 02-14-2006, 03:33 AM

I have Crohn's Disease and Irritable Bowel Syndrome (symptoms even when Crohn's is in remission) and my son has allergies, asthma, eczema, sensory integration issues, motor delays, and a mild form of autism spectrum disorder. I'd like to look into dietary changes, but I'm overwhelmed with all the information. (I don't even know if I'm posting in the right place!) Could someone please tell me what healing the gut (as it's used here) means?

Thanks!
#125 of 443 Old 02-14-2006, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2cias
My son is 3 yrs. 10 months and has some issues we need to deal with. One is that he's barely 27 pounds and 37" tall. He's barely on the growth charts and he gains weight very slowly. The other is behavorial(I'll have to expand on that at another time) and illnesses. He had several ear infections until we started taking him to the chiropracter in April 2005. He was scheduled to have tubes put in his ears, but we tried the chiro and it worked great. Unfortantly, he's all messed up already from all the antiobtics.

essed up group.. LOL

Thanks!!!
Hi Janice. I mostly lurk on this thread. My almost 4 yr old dd has had gut issues off and on since she was about 2 (when she weaned). My dd sounds a lot like your son.. in fact, she will be 4 next month and weighs 27 lbs. I'm not sure how tall she is. She is on the growth charts but just barely (last time I took her to the dr it was around 5%). She has grown in height this past 6 months but has barely put on a pound. My other kids are small too but she is a little smaller than them, still. Anyway, you mentioned something about yeast and I wanted to just say that I have always thought that her problems were related to yeast. I had horrible thrush/yeast problems when she was a baby and kept passing it to her.

I had a question for the group. My dd's poops are always throwing me off. I have tried eliminating several different foods (in fact, she was GF for almost a year because it seemed to bother her). Right now, I know that if citrus foods bother her stomach, and if she eats a lot of oranges or something, it can give her diarrhea for a couple of weeks!. Also, small amounts of chocolate and dairy seem okay, but if she eats more it will upset her stomach as well. I seem to notice when I up her zinc intake, her helps her stools normalize again. Also, if she gets a stomach virus, she can have diarrhea for 2-3 weeks after that. Sometimes, she will have loose stools and I can't figure out what triggered it. Her poor gut sounds so damaged to me. Thankfully, she seems healthy otherwise (nothing more than normal viruses). I give her probiotics (have for a long time.)

I looked into the SCD diet a while back, and truthfully, it seems extremely difficult for our family to do all the way. I am willing to try some changes but the whole thing will just be too much for me right now. (and I thought having the whole family GF for a year was hard! I really admire you mamas!)

Sorry if I'm talking too much! Thanks for listening.

Side note-- I just noticed that this was my 1000th post!
#126 of 443 Old 02-14-2006, 10:35 AM

momofcutie, healing the gut is for you! It means dealing with the irritable bowel, allergies, and autism issues, because they have shown a correlation between the brain and the gut. They have researched that many people with ibs, autism, dyslexia, add, etc. have gut issues like candida yeast, parasites, virus's, that play a crucial role in keeping them sick. Then, they found out that the proteins in gluten and casein also destroy the lining of the gut in some people. Which is why a lot of people are experimenting a trial of the gluten and casien free diet or other diets.

Quote:
Also you are just using enzymes at this point, not diet right? I couldn't do that, my gut was in too bad a shape, I needed to do the diet. Perhaps the foods are still not being completely broken down and continuing to feed the yeast/bacteria.
We are gluten and casein free. We cheat once a week with enzymes, though. Right now, we are learning about Sara's Diet, and we are going to go lutein free also. The amazing thing is that our son has already self protected his diet to eliminate most luteins, so it's really not too much of a leap for him to go lutein free. It will be harder for the rest of us, but we are all going to give lutein free a trial, because several of us feel or look worse on the GFCF diet, and I am thinking soy might be a big issue at play there, but also luteins in general.

I will be making the d-lactate free almond yogurt, and does anyone know if I can make tofu out of almonds or something other than soy?....I need a cottage cheese substitute that is not dairy or soy....
#127 of 443 Old 02-14-2006, 10:39 AM

oh, I just read a reference that garlic, uva ursi, and lauricidin deal with bacteria.
I am concerned because garlic as an herb is powerful, and I have always heard not to use it, so we will just cook with it more. I heard that lauricidin tasted awful, so either I need a cap making machine with that, or maybe go with the uva ursi, unless anyone here knows a better way (homeopathic?) of dealing with bacteria.
#128 of 443 Old 02-14-2006, 10:53 AM

Mat4mel

:

congrats on one thousand posts!!!
#129 of 443 Old 02-14-2006, 12:14 PM

Hi momofcutie & mel!

The ladies here are wonderful!

I am just starting this diet and really once you get a chance to read all the recipies, I think you might feel better about being able to stick to it.

I know I've experienced changes in myself and in dd over only the last 3 days.

DD has too. Today she *really* has allergy eyes. She's also sneezing a lot which I know can be a result of food intolerances as well. She seems to feel fine and is making slow but steady progress in the sleep department.
#130 of 443 Old 02-14-2006, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate
Thank you Jane!

AmyD - I didn't mean to disregard your post. I'm going to experiment and try both ways. I just hope it doesn't come out like . . . . .

For the love of macaroni, I have absolutely no ego invested in that yogurt recipe Personally, I use a yogurt maker
#131 of 443 Old 02-14-2006, 12:48 PM

What would it mean if my children who have been gfcf for three months are developing deep dark circles under their eyes?
#132 of 443 Old 02-14-2006, 01:35 PM

I always see posts on enzymes but what multi or prenatal is good when doing SCD? I'm saying digestability wise? I spend too much on vits, supplements ect. at hfs, but I look on bottles at Costco and Walmart and see all kins of extra crap in them. I made the mistake of buying a pre-natal I have to take 4 times a day and I can taste it all day long
#133 of 443 Old 02-14-2006, 02:32 PM

Thanks for the welcome! So where do I start? What diet do you recommend we try first? I'd like to eliminate dairy, but it's hard to do without cheese!
#134 of 443 Old 02-14-2006, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyD
For the love of macaroni, I have absolutely no ego invested in that yogurt recipe Personally, I use a yogurt maker
Tell me, tell me, what kind of yogurt maker? With 2 little ones running around I need the easiest way possible!
#135 of 443 Old 02-14-2006, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Tell me, tell me, what kind of yogurt maker? With 2 little ones running around I need the easiest way possible!

I have a eurocuisine, but I don't use it according to the directions. I have the lid propped open by two wood toys to keep the heat down. My yogurt is right around 99-105 degrees. Oh, and I don't put yogurt in the middle glass jar b/c it gets too hot in there.
#136 of 443 Old 02-14-2006, 02:58 PM

I'm starting to get a little worried . . . dd's eyes look horrible. They look like they did when things were really bad.
#137 of 443 Old 02-15-2006, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanelee
Hello to everyone! Finally I've rejoined the land of the living. We've had so much sickness in our family, we just had to hunker down and deal...
Speaking of which...do ya'll think that my ds's possible asthma (Serious lung stuff every time he gets any type of upper resp. thingy) could be related to his gut in some fashion?

I also had another question for anyone... a normal, healthy gut breaks down and absorbs carrots and english peas...right?
Our dd (1 year) ate some cooked and they showed up in her diaper later that day UNCHANGED AT ALL!!!! YIKES! If I didn't know better, I'd swear she put them in her diaper instead of eating them. I think that this finally convinced dh that we all need to be on SCD. Thankfully she's still mostly breastfed.

Yes re: asthma.

It's all about the immune system...and what is the gatekeeper of the immune system: your gut!

And what takes care of your gut (and all mucus lining of body, including sinuses) and actually produces some immunoglobulins: probiotics!

I'm a little goofy tonight.

RE: peas and carrots
She's so young, her digestive enzymes are not fully in gear yet so don't be too, too worried, just vigilant
#138 of 443 Old 02-15-2006, 11:09 PM

Quote:
You know I'm gonna have to ask about the raw cream next don't you?
Cream is excellent for making yogurt, kind of a cross between sour cream and creme fraiche. Then making ice cream out of the yogurt so its less sour than using yogurt from milk b/c there's less lactose in cream so less lactic acid bacteria in the final product.

I'm a huge believer in raw milk, so we do get raw cream also from time to time.
#139 of 443 Old 02-15-2006, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookietooth
JaneS, thanks for the info about bad vitamin C -- what's the good kind? Sodium ascorbate? Ascorbic acid?
Bad? I'm confused. Ascorbic acid is fine just acidic, and you can get the runs from taking too much. (and the advice to take it to excess to prevent constipation is just evil, I did that once to "clean me out" and suffered greatly!)

Sodium ascorbate is ph neutral so you can take more in cases of viruses/colds/disease and it's gentler on stomach and bowels.

However, both should be balanced with bioflavonoids, the natural components of vitamin C in foods. They keep vitamin C in the body longer and helps prevent deficiencies of the other C factors. Really the best source of C is food, like all nutrients, b/c its got the cofactors.
#140 of 443 Old 02-15-2006, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofcutie
I have Crohn's Disease and Irritable Bowel Syndrome (symptoms even when Crohn's is in remission) and my son has allergies, asthma, eczema, sensory integration issues, motor delays, and a mild form of autism spectrum disorder. I'd like to look into dietary changes, but I'm overwhelmed with all the information. (I don't even know if I'm posting in the right place!) Could someone please tell me what healing the gut (as it's used here) means?

Thanks!
Oh you are so in the right place! Welcome!

Start here to read about the Specific Carbohydrate Diet.

Beginners: http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.i.../beginners.htm
Science Behind the Diet: http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.i..._the_diet2.htm

Using the SCD for Autism, see "New Chapter About Autism" link
http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.i...ism/autism.htm

www.pecanbread.com is specifically for kids using the SCD for autism and has advice for dairy free version.

Read this book, "Enzymes for Autism and Other Neurological Conditions"
www.enzymestuff.com
it's really fantastic not just for ASD but all digestive disorders, behavioral issues, migraines, sensory, etc etc... Has the best description of leaky gut and understanding the digestive function that I've read thus far. So far I seem to be the only one raving about it. Is anyone else reading?
#141 of 443 Old 02-15-2006, 11:28 PM

Yay Jane! You're here.
I'm starting to get a little pi**ed about my book not being delivered yet. I hate going through this without having read it yet.

When starting this diet is it normal for symptoms to get worse? (DD's eyes.) Would it still be die off even though I'm not doing any acidopilous or yogurt yet? (Just the diet and enzymes.) She really looks terrible again today. Could it be something in the diet that I should stay away from? I'm keeping a food log & just don't know.

BTW, my oven couldn't hold the right temp for my yogurt so I"m going to try with another batch tomorrow. DH made me a yogurt maker! So far it's holding at *exactly* 100 degrees. I'm dying to try it.
#142 of 443 Old 02-15-2006, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat4mel
I had a question for the group. My dd's poops are always throwing me off. I have tried eliminating several different foods (in fact, she was GF for almost a year because it seemed to bother her). Right now, I know that if citrus foods bother her stomach, and if she eats a lot of oranges or something, it can give her diarrhea for a couple of weeks!. Also, small amounts of chocolate and dairy seem okay, but if she eats more it will upset her stomach as well. I seem to notice when I up her zinc intake, her helps her stools normalize again. Also, if she gets a stomach virus, she can have diarrhea for 2-3 weeks after that. Sometimes, she will have loose stools and I can't figure out what triggered it. Her poor gut sounds so damaged to me. Thankfully, she seems healthy otherwise (nothing more than normal viruses). I give her probiotics (have for a long time.)

I looked into the SCD diet a while back, and truthfully, it seems extremely difficult for our family to do all the way. I am willing to try some changes but the whole thing will just be too much for me right now. (and I thought having the whole family GF for a year was hard! I really admire you mamas!)

Sorry if I'm talking too much! Thanks for listening.

Side note-- I just noticed that this was my 1000th post!
Hi Mel

The issues in your DD sound familiar to me.... how my digestive problems surfaced. I never really saw a direct correlation that I was "allergic" to anything, so thus the entire gut should be viewed holistically... as you say, the health or damage of it. For me, one serving or a few days of a certain thing would not set me off. But then all of a sudden, my system would be totally out of whack and I'd have to go to great lengths to rein it in again.

So learning about the gut and intestinal flora balance this made more sense. Meaning if you eat a little sugar, the gut might be able to handle it, but eat it everyday or a lot at once and it starts going crazy, yeast and bad bacteria overgrow if one's system is geared that way.

Zinc is an EXCELLENT supplement for a damaged gut. One benefit to newbies wading through a lot of our old posts, there's so much the we forget to mention.
#143 of 443 Old 02-15-2006, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestbirths
We are gluten and casein free. We cheat once a week with enzymes, though.
Okay, so he is probably eating sugar and corn and rice and potatoes... which can ferment in the gut and feed yeast/bacteria if he is not breaking them all down?

Quote:
Right now, we are learning about Sara's Diet, and we are going to go lutein free also. The amazing thing is that our son has already self protected his diet to eliminate most luteins, so it's really not too much of a leap for him to go lutein free. It will be harder for the rest of us, but we are all going to give lutein free a trial, because several of us feel or look worse on the GFCF diet, and I am thinking soy might be a big issue at play there, but also luteins in general.

I will be making the d-lactate free almond yogurt, and does anyone know if I can make tofu out of almonds or something other than soy?....I need a cottage cheese substitute that is not dairy or soy....
I do not even have the energy to read that Sara's Diet, ugh. I know my DS had issues with beta carotene, being able to break it down maybe. And it makes more sense when you think about how it's the gut bacteria that breaks down the bc into vitamin A. And lutein too? OY.

Have you checked Pecanbread recipes, I know there is a nut yogurt recipe and then maybe dripping it? What do you need a cc substitute for?

Tell me about this d-lactate free thing again and why you are doing it?
#144 of 443 Old 02-15-2006, 11:38 PM

Quote:
oh, I just read a reference that garlic, uva ursi, and lauricidin deal with bacteria.
I am concerned because garlic as an herb is powerful, and I have always heard not to use it, so we will just cook with it more. I heard that lauricidin tasted awful, so either I need a cap making machine with that, or maybe go with the uva ursi, unless anyone here knows a better way (homeopathic?) of dealing with bacteria.
Biocidin is recommended for bacteria but has garlic, tiny amount though.

Coconut oil has natural lauric acid that's in Lauricidin and tastes fantastic. My current favorite is Wilderness Family Naturals centrifuged but Mountain Rose Herbs has a gallon for a ridiculous price of $28 or something. I think FireFaery was going to try it.

We are going the homeopathic route now, waiting for appt. I'm so confused with everything and praying that will help. DS is stabilized I guess, some things are better, but some are worse.

For all you BF'ing moms out there nursing your kids with damaged guts: Keep feeding your babes as long as you can! Even with my own damaged gut, my breastmilk was doing so much for my DS, he really regressed after weaning.
#145 of 443 Old 02-15-2006, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyD
She just wanted to post that darned smilie again!

Hey, don't mention macaroni here, it's verboten!!!
#146 of 443 Old 02-15-2006, 11:42 PM

Quote:
What would it mean if my children who have been gfcf for three months are developing deep dark circles under their eyes?
Lack of minerals.

That plasma cysteine thing that Andrew Cutler talks about.

Die off.
#147 of 443 Old 02-15-2006, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikesmom
I always see posts on enzymes but what multi or prenatal is good when doing SCD? I'm saying digestability wise? I spend too much on vits, supplements ect. at hfs, but I look on bottles at Costco and Walmart and see all kins of extra crap in them. I made the mistake of buying a pre-natal I have to take 4 times a day and I can taste it all day long
Ick is right... not sure. Both websites have recommended supplements I think:
www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info
www.pecanbread.com

I always took Rainbow Light prenatal b/c it was a whole food sourced vitamin and thus more easily digested, but I have no idea what else is in it for ingredients.
#148 of 443 Old 02-15-2006, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofcutie
Thanks for the welcome! So where do I start? What diet do you recommend we try first? I'd like to eliminate dairy, but it's hard to do without cheese!
Most cheeses and 24 hr. yogurt is allowed in the Specific Carbohydrate Diet.
#149 of 443 Old 02-15-2006, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Yay Jane! You're here.
I'm starting to get a little pi**ed about my book not being delivered yet. I hate going through this without having read it yet.

When starting this diet is it normal for symptoms to get worse? (DD's eyes.) Would it still be die off even though I'm not doing any acidopilous or yogurt yet? (Just the diet and enzymes.) She really looks terrible again today. Could it be something in the diet that I should stay away from? I'm keeping a food log & just don't know.

BTW, my oven couldn't hold the right temp for my yogurt so I"m going to try with another batch tomorrow. DH made me a yogurt maker! So far it's holding at *exactly* 100 degrees. I'm dying to try it.
I know, I came back to this thread hopping!

Yes, the SCD can cause die off, and so can enzymes. I got die off from both and my gut was about halfway healed by that time.

Can you try to get her to drink more water? Pecanbread suggests epsom salts baths for die off for little ones. The body absorbs magnesium which is detoxing and calming too. Although they were a bit much for my DS, maybe I used too much at first.

What a lovely DH you have! How did he make it?
#150 of 443 Old 02-16-2006, 12:03 AM

DD is still primarily b'fed so she doesn't really drink water. She plays around with her sippy cup but most of it ends up on her shirt.

I will try the epsom salts. What do you mean they were too much for your ds? How could you tell?

DH is an engineer and can build most anything. He used a simple styrofoam cooler and a light bulb fixture w/a hmmm . . .15 watt I think nightlight bulb. And a meat thermometer stuck through the front so I can see it from the outside. We just put some tin foil in the bottom to see if we could raise the temp a couple of degrees.

Oh, and how did you know you were experiencing die off? I had an awful day today. Felt like most of the day. Upset tummy but hungry too at the same time.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page